Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

752 replies

Badge +1

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out and appreciate all the details and sharing the feedbacks. Let me now help you with this.

For Samsung TV users, check the steps below. 

1. First, check if the issue occurs when using a different HDMI cable.
  2. If the issue persists, we then want to eliminate any other bad HDMI devices that could be causing the issue.
  3. If you have multiple HDMI connected devices and inbuilt apps, does the issue occur without all the HDMI devices connected, if not, add one HDMI device back to the TV at a time until the combination is found that causes the issue?
  4. Else if the issue persists without any other HDMI sources connected or just the one primary HDMI source, check the workaround/s below and let me know the Samsung TV model.

Two options:

• Reboot the Sonos ARC.
  • Hard reboot the TV ( disconnect the TV from the power for a minute or two) then reconnect power.

We have reported the issue to Samsung and that we are working with them to address the issue. 

For Sony TV users:

Arc is experiencing TV playback interruptions when playing DD+ format content from Sony XBR950G TV apps.

Adjusting TV audio settings to DD or PCM audio format will be our workaround if you have the same problem.

For LG TV users:

When using an LG C9 with the output set to eARC, and playing DD+ Atmos content from the inbuilt apps, the audio will be frequently interrupted. For now, disable eARC on the LG C9 OLED TV for Inbuilt DD+Atmos Content.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate the patience and understanding. Our engineering team is currently working on a fix. We don’t have the exact timing to share at this point and will update this thread when we do.

If you all have a different problem, create a new thread, or find a similar thread that would be helpful to your concern. 

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

I have a LG CX, and the problem has been brought up in this thread before, Atmos sound cuts out from Arc only during certain shows intermittently, and mainly when using Apple TV 4K. Is this being addressed also or should i create a different thread? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Shouldn’t there be a recall notice to go out to all the owners and retailers?  It seems like the problem is acknowledged by Sonos but not really posted anywhere.  Without this issue, this is a great product so it is quite unfortunate but I am hoping they come up with a solution - can’t be that difficult, can it?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just saw an update and updated my Samsung TV to version 1402.

Is this the same as 1402.1?

Badge

Hello I purchased a Sonos arc several months ago .It’s connected to my Samsung q70, the past 3 days I started receiving constant audio drops on multiple apps and inputs.  I just power cycled the arc a half hour ago and it hadn’t persisted since

Try changing out the HDMI to HDMI certified cables on Amazon. The ones that came with the arc are subpar. That fixed the drop outs for me! 

Doug74, thank you so so much :)
just talked to the support (germany) and will get the hotfix as well asap. After i told them, that i have an arc and a frame they already knew, why i am calling

Userlevel 1

Please see my report: 1027968815

Thanks Kyle, still no cut outs, which is a striking change in performance, but I will report again after a more significant time period. What puzzles me is that, if it is not a network issue, why did the Arc work without cut outs when I disabled the Arc wifi (losing, however, the sound from the sub and the one SLs)?

Do you have a good reference for a description of how the sonosnet works? I am unclear as to the function of the router connection when the sonosnet is in operation.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, thank you for reaching out and welcome to all the new users here in the community. I understand where you all coming from and how much we would love this to be fixed and the team handling this is working and coordinating this already with the respective manufacturers. Will keep you all posted here once we have an update available for all users here. Thank you for your patience and understanding. 

Just let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.

Badge

My TV doesn’t have the update it’s 2019 series. Samsung wants me to spend money on their 2020 models instead of fixing it on 2019. 

I was planning on buying the arc and LG C9 but postponed it because of this issue.

The temporary solution given for LG and arc right now is:

“When using an LG C9 with the output set to eARC, and playing DD+ Atmos content from the inbuilt apps, the audio will be frequently interrupted. For now, disable eARC on the LG C9 OLED TV for Inbuilt DD+Atmos Content.”

What type of output do you get with this setup? Do you get Dolby Digital +? What about if you use the optical connection?

Badge

Hi, there, 

My set up:

Arc, Samsung Q90 85’ TV, eARC connection. both are on latest version of firmware. 

external device: Apple TV, PS5, Virgin Media TV box (UK)

Before I plug in the Virgin Media TV Box, everything was working flawlessly. So I assume that’s the TV box which caused the issue. The TV box has a function that its remote controller can take over the volume control of TV. Normally, people will turn it on. I switched it off. So the TV volume can’t be controlled by the TV Box controller anymore.  Bingo, no more sound cut off. 

Maybe it’s better to test each external device one by one. From my experience, the issue was caused by external device, not by TV or Arc. 

Yeah I tried unplugging my chromecast TV from the TV and it still cut off. I’m pretty sure it’s an issue with the LG Tv. 

Userlevel 1

I purchased the unit through Best Buy.  I have another order in to replace this one just to see if the new one will work without issues.  I love the quality of the sound, so it is quite frankly hard to give up.  I just hope that there is a simple fix if your engineers fine an issue, if there is one, in the future.  

The issue persists here as well and for months on end. Doesn’t skip with anything else, except Samsung tv. No other hdmi-devices connected. Doesn’t skip with optical connection, only hdmi.

Rebooting Sonos fixes it, but unplug was a pain. My workaround is a Philips Hue plug for Sonos and remote control button for it, next to living room couch. I can now easily reboot it and tolerate it rebooting for 30-40 seconds.

Far from acceptable, but I can live with it for now. At somepoint, if no firmware fix appears, I’ll call support & ask for replacement.

Sad situation to be in. Also the Arc is recognised as Atmos device by tv, but not allowed to run as eArc device.

With all these problems, it looks like QC hasn’t been done properly or beta-testing has been very limited.

Hello I purchased a Sonos arc several months ago .It’s connected to my Samsung q70, the past 3 days I started receiving constant audio drops on multiple apps and inputs.  I just power cycled the arc a half hour ago and it hadn’t persisted since

Try changing out the HDMI to HDMI certified cables on Amazon. The ones that came with the arc are subpar. That fixed the drop outs for me! 

Thanks for the quick reply I’m actually already using this one  from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHQ5PGB?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

In the past half hour I’ve had no cutouts since the power cycle. 

Add me to the list. Samsung Frame 65. Arc cuts out every second or so if the TV has been off for a while. Unplugging and plugging the power back into the Arc resolves the issue until the next time the TV sits off for a while.

Wholly unacceptable for a full home theater setup (Arc, Sub, One SL (Pair) surrounds). Bought as a package directly from Sonos.

Already perturbed about having to upgrade some of my older devices since they didn’t support the new Sonos app. Used that upgrade discount to get the Sonos home theater package - and it doesn’t even work right - due to this audio dropping bug that seems to be very wide spread.

Badge +1

Hi @Kyle A ,

Is it the same issue with the Sony TVs like the 950G?

Has it been reported to Sony and are your engineers working with Sony to fix the issue?

Thank you,

Ben

Userlevel 1

Please see my report: 1027968815

I was watching Roma on Netflix using Apple TV 4K.  

The full issue can be seen here:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnVWGteEsnzfg8E2yr4X3eIgKIMPgQ?e=1Ag8ak

In the video I can confirm, the Sono Arc is plugged into the eArc port on the Samsung Q95T HDMI-3 eArc port, no other devices are plugged into the unit.

The Sonos sound is cutting in and out, which is the typical daily routine now. After powercycling the Sonos, and turning the volume back up you can see the problem stops for a period of time.

I went into the menu to also show that HDMI-eARC Mode is OFF, and if i turn it to Auto the audio stops until I turn it off again, this doesn’t seem right.

I found this on the Samsung forums, as I have a 2020 Samsung 75” Q95T with the Sonos Arc attached : https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/arc-doesn-t-work-with-samsung-tv-q95t-if-you-want-dolby-atmos-avoid-samsung-flagship-tv-s-6844694

I’d really like someone from Sonos to comment and confirm if this issue is acknowledged and is being investigated or if this is something specific to this combination of TV & Arc?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Bathdave The Sonos optical connector that is presented as a work around for this problem can  be bought from Sonos: https://www.sonos.com/en/shop/optical-audio-adapter.html

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Same problem here with a Panasonic HZ1000 OLED. Iv had a Playbar since it was first released and it’s been faultless. Bought a new tv so thought I’d take advantage of the eArc functionality and the Dolby atmos so bought an arc. Absolutewaste of money it’s going back! The only way to get Dolby sound on the internal Prime app is to switch the Arc off and then back on again and it will then work intermittently for a while Then it disappears. The only way then to get sound is to change the format to PCM which is output in stereo 2:0 only. If I then switch it off and back on the same thing happens again. Replaced all cables etc as well.it’s no worth the money so is going back unless it gets resolved by support, 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

That would be too simple!

It seems to be manually pushed by the support if you find the right technician…

Isn’t that just the next firmware for the ARC, and you are getting it slightly early from Sonos.

I mean we are officially on 12.2.2, so it would make sense we will all get this eventually?

Hi there 

restart may help a while 

Next time if you face the issue , no need to restart any. Just change any audio settings on the fly that will pickup audio again

Like change audio output to tv speakers and then change back to audio device 

This just happened to me again and I tried changing the audio settings, which didn't fix it. I had to do the reboot again to get it to work properly. If this continues to be the every other day norm, I’m going to ask for a full refund from Sonos due to this product not working properly. 

Hi @ stueyB did you manage to find a solution as I am having the same with my LG OLED TV and arc .... It is so frustrating as the amount of money I spent on it

Badge

Hi, there, 

My set up:

Arc, Samsung Q90 85’ TV, eARC connection. both are on latest version of firmware. 

external device: Apple TV, PS5, Virgin Media TV box (UK)

Before I plug in the Virgin Media TV Box, everything was working flawlessly. So I assume that’s the TV box which caused the issue. The TV box has a function that its remote controller can take over the volume control of TV. Normally, people will turn it on. I switched it off. So the TV volume can’t be controlled by the TV Box controller anymore.  Bingo, no more sound cut off. 

Maybe it’s better to test each external device one by one. From my experience, the issue was caused by external device, not by TV or Arc. 

Yeah I tried unplugging my chromecast TV from the TV and it still cut off. I’m pretty sure it’s an issue with the LG Tv. 

Maybe I need to unplug the batteries from the remote then haha 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out and appreciate all the details and sharing the feedbacks. Let me now help you with this.

For Samsung TV users, check the steps below. 

1. First, check if the issue occurs when using a different HDMI cable.
  2. If the issue persists, we then want to eliminate any other bad HDMI devices that could be causing the issue.
  3. If you have multiple HDMI connected devices and inbuilt apps, does the issue occur without all the HDMI devices connected, if not, add one HDMI device back to the TV at a time until the combination is found that causes the issue?
  4. Else if the issue persists without any other HDMI sources connected or just the one primary HDMI source, check the workaround/s below and let me know the Samsung TV model.

Two options:

• Reboot the Sonos ARC.
  • Hard reboot the TV ( disconnect the TV from the power for a minute or two) then reconnect power.

We have reported the issue to Samsung and that we are working with them to address the issue. 

For Sony TV users:

Arc is experiencing TV playback interruptions when playing DD+ format content from Sony XBR950G TV apps.

Adjusting TV audio settings to DD or PCM audio format will be our workaround if you have the same problem.

For LG TV users:

When using an LG C9 with the output set to eARC, and playing DD+ Atmos content from the inbuilt apps, the audio will be frequently interrupted. For now, disable eARC on the LG C9 OLED TV for Inbuilt DD+Atmos Content.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate the patience and understanding. Our engineering team is currently working on a fix. We don’t have the exact timing to share at this point and will update this thread when we do.

If you all have a different problem, create a new thread, or find a similar thread that would be helpful to your concern. 

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

PCM and DD does not give the atmos.  It says this is for the optical connection... why suggest it? Useless information!!