Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

752 replies

My living room setup: Samsung 75” Q80T, Sonos Arc, 2x Sonos One, Sonos Sub 3
Bedroom setup: Samsung 55” Q70T, Sonos Arc, 2x Sonos One, Sonos Sub 3

Bedroom has the eARC dropping issue which is exhibited by the sound coming and going from the Sonos devices during which time changing the volume displays the TV speaker volume changing rather than the ARC.

But the living room is functioning perfectly, configured identically with only the TV slightly different. Thinking the issue was the bedroom TV, I exchanged it for another of the same. 

The solution in the bedroom is unplugging all HDMI cables, and plugging them back in starting with the Arc.

It THINK this is the same issue being discussed here, but I wonder.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Krishma M .  My troubleshooting has ended with the only solution so far being to plug it out and reset it.  Cable changes, different source of audio, other Sonos products (beam) seem all fine.

Same issue as all with a 2020 Frame.  Replying to post to see when the fix comes!

I am a dealer and I have had some issues with audio as well on the Sony A8H model. I used the optical adaptor to bypass the HDMI ARC from the TV to verify it is not a EDID issue. The customers Audio still drops from using the TV apps as well as the HDMI input from the cable company. I spoke to Sonos tech support yesterday and they said they are working with Sony. They did not say however hows fault this is nor did I get a time frame on the fix. I have my customer bypassing the ARC altogether to see if sound still cuts out from TV speakers. 

Are they using the Sonos supplied HDMI cable? I have read that they possibly have a bad batch of HDMI cables as well. I am using another HDMI cable + the optical adapter and I have not experienced any more cutting out issues for over a week now. I also noticed that my Sonos system has updated to 12.0.3. I tried eARC again on 12.0.3 but ran into the same issue of the audio cutting out so I swapped back to the optical adapter. Good to know that Sonos tech support is claiming they are working with Sony on this.

Userlevel 2

I have exactly the same problem with a Samsung TV and periodic drop outs of audio from the Arc (cutting in and out). I have to unselect atmos in the expert settings and then re-select to resume the audio. It’s good to know that there is a fix being worked upon as I couldn’t understand how wifi interference would cause issues with the HDMI connection.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Optical seems error free. But opposite one of the reasons I bought the Arc—for the eArc, single remote with Sony native apps, etc.

Switching from Auto 1 to Auto 2 or PCM returns the sound. Really odd. 

I have a 2020 Samsung q60 and the arc was working ok for the first week then started to drop off sound occasionally especially if I listened to music through airplay. Today, however, it stopped working completely. I have unplugged and switched off from the plug more times than I can remember and still nothing. It also overrides the tv sound so even when I want to switch to tv sound it won’t allow the tv to do this. Any help, much appreciated.

Thanks - I’m ethernet all the way here. If it doesn’t move, it gets wired...

Ok so it looks like I may have bottomed out the issue with the help of Sonos support and thought I’d update on solution here. I have my LG C9, Sky Q, Arc and Sub all connected via ethernet to the same ethernet switch. Support suggested I remove the ethernet cable from the sub and rely on the 5Ghz connection between the Arc and Sub. Not a single dropped earc/passthrough connection between the C9 and Arc last night. I suspect the underlying issue might be that I’d created a loop in the network. Although I’ve no idea why Netflix on Sky Q never dropped but C9 (and Apple TV 4K) Netflix did. Maybe bandwidth...

I had a similar issue many years ago where I had a bunch of ZP100’s hardwired. Loops were creating network storms and the solution was to use an ethernet switch that supported spanning tree and configure that appropriately. Hope this helps someone else out and my my setup stays stable.

Badge

@Kyle A 1022192339. TV audio cuts out at least once a day, typically turning the TV off and back on fixes the issue. Sometimes, it requires power cycling the Sonos ARC.

Sony XBR-75X950H (firmware 6.4770.615), connected with eARC using the Sonos HDMI cable. Both the TV and Sonos ARC are up to date.

Built in Android app - Hulu, Cutthroat Kitchen. Has been observed watching content with Hulu, Netflix, Disney+.

TV and ARC are both on Wifi, coming from Ubiquiti Unifi setup (Router: UniFi Security Gateway 3P, Core Switch: UniFi Switch 8 POE-150W, close access point: UniFi AP-HD-In Wall, other access point: UniFi AP-HD).

I’m not sure if Sonos was naming this thing after Audio Return Channel, or Already Really Crappy. Joking aside, this is my first Sonos device, and as a software developer (who has had to deal with HDMI compliance for set top boxes) I’m very disappointed in the quality of software here.

Badge +1

Gutted with my arc sound dropping off! ☹️

What did Samsung have to say about your matter? I understand Sony have mentioned they’re

Sony has come out with a software update that fixed the issue. It has for me. Also know some that have Samsung and did their update and fixed the issue. It’s not a Sonos problem. Other sound bar makes also experience the issue. It’s the tv ‘s that have the issue.

Which Sony FW number did you update to?

Hello, I just received my Sonos Arc for my LG CX, tried some Dolby Atmos content and then one hour in this issue already happened after switching to some Live TV.

The sound is cutting in and out for no reason and I can’t seem to find a workaround to at least fix it.

That’s a bit disappointing for a device this pricey.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Just got the notice from Sony that my XBR 65X950G tv has a new software update, and it supposedly fixes my issue of audio drop outs when going to In app Netflix. It’s down loaded so we shall see. If this fixes it, it may not be a Sonos issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The maximum data rate for Dolby Digital Plus is 6.144 Gbit/s, so agree there. 

For Dolby TrueHD, the audio stream including metadata can be up to 18 Mbit/s (instantaneous).  If the cable tops out at 10.2 Gbit/s and the audio stream exceeds 10.2 Gbit/s the cable could introduce signal attenuation, crosstalk, data, clock or phase errors. Which could cause audio drop outs.

My main interest would be streaming Atmos TrueHD from a NAS.

For the sake of clarity, I feel I should point out that you are 3 orders-of-magnitude out - Dolby Digital+ peaks at 6Mbit/s. Uncompressed Atmos True-HD, with variable bitrate, averages at 6Mbit/s, and peaks at 18Mbit/s. With eARC’s maximum bandwidth of 38Mbit/s, there’s plenty of headroom.

The bandwidth needed for 8K video (or 4K at higher frame/refresh rates) is the reason for HDMI 2.0/2.1. The audio data requirements come nowhere close - around 1/1000th of the data.

@Corry P. It’s after hours here in South Africa now. I’ll try cancel in the morning. Have you got my details and diagnostics? . I would like someone to give me a fix for this issue. Hopefully not costing me a fortune.  

[mod edit: please do not share personal details like your email address]

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

What did Samsung have to say about your matter? I understand Sony have mentioned they’re

Sony has come out with a software update that fixed the issue. It has for me. Also know some that have Samsung and did their update and fixed the issue. It’s not a Sonos problem. Other sound bar makes also experience the issue. It’s the tv ‘s that have the issue.

Which Sony FW number did you update to?

Hi, the same issue with Sonos Arc and Samsung the Frame 2020. I did everything that was suggested in previous posts. New firmware on tv installed. Problem still exist. Please help.

Diagnostic report number: 833712213

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

From another topic page:

M

Just had a call from Sonos who contacted me via email (presumably off the back of this thread). Paul, in Customer Care, was absolutely fantastic and very helpful. We ran a series of diagnostics to confirm the problem (he could see the errors) and then he applied the patch to my Arc. Diagnostics during testing on Netflix then showed no errors. Problem hopefully solved (at least until we get a proper Samsung patch). As many others have commented, this is clearly a Samsung problem and not really Sonos’s fault. My one criticism of them would have been they could have tested their device with this Samsung range, given they are the most popular TVs in the world - they could have safely assumed that this pairing would be very common across their customer base. Anyway, great service from Sonos eventually and I was particularly impressed that they took the initiative to email and then call me, rather than expecting me to sit in a queue and call them. Hopefully I can properly enjoy the TV/Arc from this point on...

Ditto. This is frustrating..

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I'm having the same problem

LG OLED CX 2020 model - using EARC via hdmi to the Sonos arc

apple TV 4K 

when it starts happening it won't stop, even if I reboot the Apple TV. Have to reboot the whole tv or Sonos arc to fox it.

Have you upgraded the 12.0.5 firmware? It’s for the sub and Arc

Yep It forced me to, I just set it up today for the first time. Man this really sticks as I really like the arc. 

I have CX as well, I actually dumped the Apple 4k box and now use the internal apps, although I do get the occasional audio issues, I would say its only dropped audio twice near the start of something and audio has not come back without changing settings.

The most annoying issue for me is the ARC seems to lose connection with the CX when I switch sources, for example exiting internal Netflix app and back to TV tuner there will be no sound, or when I turn off my xbox on hdmi 1 and switch back to the tv tuner there will be no sound. 

Fix by turning off/on eARC setting resolves it but it gets annoying having to do this.

Luckily it doesn't happen all the time, but clearly eARC is flakey on the CX or the ARC and we need a fix.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

After keeping record of the dates my Arc has acted up, I requested a new Arc be supplied to me in exchange for the one I have. Sonos agreed and it’s on the way. However, after learning it’s a refurbished unit , it will be declined. I paid for a new unit, not refurbished, and expect a new unit in return . Very disappointed in SONOS for this. I won’t be buying anymore SONOS products . 

Hello I purchased a Sonos arc several months ago .It’s connected to my Samsung q70, the past 3 days I started receiving constant audio drops on multiple apps and inputs.  I just power cycled the arc a half hour ago and it hadn’t persisted since

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi, the same issue with Sonos Arc and Samsung the Frame 2020. I did everything that was suggested in previous posts. New firmware on tv installed. Problem still exist. Please help.

Diagnostic report number: 833712213

I think Samsung has to tweak its update a bit more. Some say it’s resolved their issue, some not.

Update to 13.0 today but no idea what it does 

Edit: 

First observation, the app shows what it is receiving In real time, watching YouTube I now see 'Dolby Multichannel PCM 2.0' Switch is 'Multichannel PCM 7.1'

Userlevel 1
Badge

Latest research my end:

S2

Arc

eArc

Sony 65 X950G (2019)

Auto 1

My sound cuts out when using Tidal app and streaming Dolby Atmos content and returning to other Apps like Netflix, YouTube, etc. 

Switching to Auto 2 fixes the sound. But I’d rather not switch back and forth. Rebooting also fixes it. Then I can switch back to Auto 1. 

Still not sure if this is a Sonos problem or a Sony problem. I will be reporting in this in detail in our upcoming three month follow up review. 

Other than this nonsense, the Arc is a superior product.