Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

750 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes, the Sonos support I spoke to twice was either not aware of the issue or basically refused to say there is an issue even though I mentioned that on the community boards, we were told to go log the issue.  They almost undermined this board by saying it is not official which was disappointing to see that kind of disconnect.  As I mentioned before, the only communication has been here which is very frustrating because this should be everywhere so the consumer is aware, at the very least their support team should be aware.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Ecotone I’ve got the exact same TV and cable setup with the sonos arc.
The only workaround I found to avoid the 10/15 secs audio issue was to disable eARC on the TV.

Let’s hope the fix comes soon from sonos because without eARC the soundbar seems like  a waste of money.

Badge

HDMI Arc is just a ‘soft’ industry standard. Making it work depends on good implementation on both sides. If Sonos can “patch” around something Samsung does, then that’s something they should do. Also, if Samsung is doing something that leads the interface to fail, well they should work on it, too.

Samsung and Sonos are both selling a capability. It’s the consumers view of what’s a working product that should matter -- not the companies’ view, especially when an industry standard feature they are selling that should work is not working at a reasonable standard of performance.

Having to unplug and replug a device frequently is just plain nuts. And, by the way, it’s not my TV that’s having to be power-cycled each time, it’s my Sonos Arc. Funny that I just “reset” the Arc and things work.

Presumably Sonos knows about all of its users that have put in reports through its tech support and this forum about the problem. They could try proactively communicating with us.

Meanwhile, there has been some chatter out there about a Samsung software update. Like one exists. My last couple of conversations with Samsung have resulting in them saying that the pushed software already on my TV is as current as what’s downloadable. I’m still waiting to see if Samsung pushes an update on its side. If Sonos is so convinced Samsung is not upholding the standard, maybe they want to sue them or something, to show they are serious and that Samsung’s misrepresentation is damaging them.

Also, if Sonos can prove Samsung is the problem, whey not empower the consumers with the evidence they need to take the steps available to them to be more persuasive with Samsung?

In looking at this message thread I sometimes feel like I’m reading a Dilbert cartoon.

I know most of us are hanging in, because we are otherwise impressed by our Sonos products. 

This is really upsetting that there is not a way to find the cause. It’s so easy for each company to say it’s the other company’s fault. I have pretty much had this cutting in and out issue after watching something in Atmos on Apple TV 4K, then watching pretty much anything else, on Apple TV, on My TiVo Edge, etc. The way I’ve come to resolve for the tome being is unplugging the TV and waiting a bit to watch something else. Everything is up to date, my 65CX LG tv, my Apple TV 4K, my Sonos Arc, as well as my TiVo Edge. Someone needs to do something!!!

I am a newbie here but read through all of the posts. I have put in my time and frustrations though. Brand new Samsung Picture Frame and Sonos ARC (among other Sonos devices in the home we just built). What a disappointment. What is crazy is the we had to go through so much tech support and even returned the ARC and got a new one before we realized what  was happening. The folks on Tech support do not know this and it was SUCH a waste of time. I wake up every morning and my ARC goes in and out when using the TV. Yes, I get behind the ARC, unplug it, plug it back in and it works well with the TV again (always works fine with the music). My cables were built in to my fireplace so its much more difficult. I do not want to give up the system I paid so much for and love so much when its working correctly.

Would love to be part of the test community - we are a technology family and a technology school educator.

It’s been a long time from what I have read here - some folks have been VERY patient. 

PLEASE PUSH OUT THE FIRMWARE!

Doug74 shows the ARC update that I can not get.  We can only get as far as 12.2.2  Would like to get the new update to see if it fixes the problem.

ledzep1,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for:

Sound Out = HDMI ARC

Additional Settings:

• HDMI Input = Bitstream
  • LG Sound Sync = off
  • Digital Sound Out = Pass Through
  • eARC = On
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi

I see all these threads about audio dropping but most seem to be short sound drops, in my case I have complete audio dropping and not coming back.

Anyone with the same issue, perhaps report it in here.

I have the LG CX and I lose sound all together when changing between sources, this can be simply exiting the Netflix app back to live TV or turning on my xbox and not having an audio outputting, all very random when it occurs.

Various things can bring back the audio, simple on/off off tv, or switching back and forth between sources.

So if anyone else has the same issue, I would love to hear, because I worry that I’m alone with this and it may be a hardware issue.

I’m getting a bit fed up with this issue, had the ARC nearly 3 months and just want to be sure its something that others experience, I don't mind waiting for a fix if that’s the case.

What you are describing is really close to what im experiencing.

I have a sonos arc with surrounds (ones) hooked up to a LG B9 and I have two problems - one with eARC and one with “normal” hdmi arc.  

When i have eARC enabled i lose sound when switching between cable and the native apps or between the native apps. Its random and i cant force it. In short its exactly as you describe but i dont use other sources than the tv (so cable and native apps). Sometimes i can get it back when i toggle eARC on and off, sometimes i have to turn off the tv and sometime i have to cut the power. 

When i toggle eARC off i dont have the problem with sound disappearing completly but i do experience small audio drops when watching mostly streaming (netflix and other native apps). This also happens at random. 

I have absolutly no idea if its a software or hardware issue but i have no fix. Ive tried 3 different hdmi cables, using wifi, using ethernet and nothing works.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

With the new Sonos 13.0 and Samsung 1497.0 firmware, I am experiencing issues with the sound cutting like once every 10 minutes for a few seconds. Seems like this still haven't been fully fixed yet. Is anyone else experiencing this same issue ?

I’m having a ‘The Frame 2020’ TV running Netflix via an Apple TV4K.

I’m also still having this same issue under the 13.0 update with my Q80T.  I’m about to throw the flag in and use the optical adapter.

Same issue. Same set up. Getting old. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

ledzep1,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for:

Sound Out = HDMI ARC

Additional Settings:

• HDMI Input = Bitstream
  • LG Sound Sync = off
  • Digital Sound Out = Pass Through
  • eARC = On

Thank you 

Same I think, my issue is that when changing between sources can be anything, for example exiting internal netflix app back to live TV the sound will drop, or turning on xbox one x to play a game and the game will have no sound.

I can remedy it by switching back and forth between sources or switching eARC off and on.

It happens occasionally, I hope a firmware sorts it soon though, as to pay such a large sum for the ARC and Sub and have these issues like many of us is a shame.

Another instance, was the other day I was watching Ted Lasso on Apple 4k box, watched 2 episodes fine in atmos, played episode 3 and no sound, so had to turn eARC off and on to get sound back.

Just seems like the sonos ARC and eARC connection is not very stable and craps out a lot at any random time, I never seem to have a drop occur during watching something though, always before I start something.

Had the same problem with both Arc and Beam on Samsing TVs.  I switched to using the optical cable on both and the problem has stopped.  At ;east no sound drop out.  Creates a hassle with using the remote to change volume, but do that with Sonos now.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply.

@jlindstrom, the diagnostic is showing that the Sonos App isn’t connected to the Sonos system.

I would like to know the Network setup you have. I’ll need the model of your router. If you have other network devices like wifi extenders, Mesh systems, and the like, I like to know the model of those devices as well.

@Jbrow, the diagnostic only shows 5 minutes worth of data, I would like you to take a diagnostic when the audio cuts out and reply with the confirmation number.

@jste, the diagnostic shows 20 minutes of data, unfortunately, it’s after a reboot. I would like you to also take a diagnostic when the audio cut out. Can you also please provide the model of the TV.

@khaz22 and @StueyB, can you please clarify the model of your TV and take a diagnostic when the audio cut.

I would also like for everyone to check if there are firmware updates for your TV. 

Please reply with the model of your TV also take a diagnostic when the audio cuts out on the Sonos Arc before rebooting the soundbar.

I will try to assist everyone here. 

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @riverinjonathan 

The Arc will have rebooted during the update process, so you should be good to go. If there are any problems, however, a reboot of both TV and Arc would be the first thing I’d try (power off TV, not standby). 

I have a 2019 Samsung Frame, 2020 Roku Ultra and a Sonos Arc.  The TV to Sonos Arc connection is HDMI Arc.  I had been having occasional issues with the sound from the Roku not working at all when coming from Art Mode to TV.  Doing a system restart othe Roku would fix this issue. 

Now my problem is that I get audio that cuts out every few seconds when watching something.  Doing a system restart on the Roku does not fix this issue.  Having to do a hard restart on the Arc is not an acceptable fix.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Same problem here with a Panasonic HZ1000 OLED. Iv had a Playbar since it was first released and it’s been faultless. Bought a new tv so thought I’d take advantage of the eArc functionality and the Dolby atmos so bought an arc. Absolutewaste of money it’s going back! The only way to get Dolby sound on the internal Prime app is to switch the Arc off and then back on again and it will then work intermittently for a while Then it disappears. The only way then to get sound is to change the format to PCM which is output in stereo 2:0 only. If I then switch it off and back on the same thing happens again. Replaced all cables etc as well.it’s no worth the money so is going back unless it gets resolved by support, 

If you read some of the previous posts.. you’ll see it’s not a Sonos issue… tv manufacturers are coming out with firmware updates that are fixing this issue.. 

I’m no av expert so don’t know if it’s Sonos or the set manufacturer who’s unable to sustain the Dolby signal but it seems odd that it isn’t localised to one tv brand and is almost universal in its application suggesting to me it’s the arc not the tv,  but I may be wrong who knows. All I know is that the playbar output 5:1 fine but now the arc can’t do it or should I say it can but the signal quality is terrible and gets worse the longer I watch something on the internal tv apps.

Iv looked online and also tried a software update on my TV and nothing is currently available my tv is up to date. Panasonic don’t do many updates and the new 2021 models will be here before you know it so I’m left wondering whether I should keep the arc or return it and go back to my playbar. 

I have a Samsung QA85Q80T TV and thinking about buying the ARC / Sub package.  Current firmware version of the TV is 1461.  Does anyone know whether this version has the intermittent audio cut out problem?

I would advise against it. I have a QN75Q8DTAFXZA with the Arc, Sub, and pair of Ones, and the sound cutting out is very annoying. All I gather from the many forums on this subject is to expect an endless stream of troubleshooting steps and no actual fix from Sonos. I am hugely disappointed in spending so much on this setup and immediately having what appears to be a known issue with no resolution in sight.

Userlevel 2

Installed the update + the Samsung firmware update (via USB) for my Q95T and so far… all is working and all is good..

MANY THANKS

Perhaps we need a good old petition to get this resolved and start getting some media attention as clearly Sonos don’t care about their very expensive products anymore. This isn’t acceptable from a brand that charges so much money for their equipment!!

This is so embarrassing, having this issue with a system just installed in a clients house. 
I have the exact same set up as I’ve just installed (arc, sub  and 2x ones for surround) I have an LG E7 OLED  and have absolutely zero issues at all yet they have a Samsung QE75Q90 and they’re having this issue!!

Very disappointed with Sonos here. 

diagnostic: 573668133

worth noting that when I disabled “ Dolby Atmos compatibility” no more stutters.

great a £800 Atmos soundbar that can’t handle Atmos..

edit: the stutters are back!!

Anyone can confirm that Sony fixed the issue with the last update 6.4960 on the 950G?

Can confirm, updated our Sony 85-inch X950G to firmware 6.4960 followed by a factory reset. This has completely resolved all sound dropout issues with the Arc, have watched well over 15 hours of Atmos content since the update on native Netflix/Prime Video apps without any issues.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Any update, Sonos?

Is cause of problem known?

Timeline for a fix?

Userlevel 3
Badge

I reporting the same issue on the Sony A9G, connected on earc with the Arc connected to ethernet.

Initally I thought it might be TV related; well we have now seen reports on Sony, Samsung and LG devices. Then I thought it might be OS related; well we have seen reports on TVs running

Android TV - Sony A9G

Samsung’s Tizen platform - Q80R

webOS - LG C9

So all of this still tends me to think this is an issue with the Sonos ARC.

I live in Australia and have the Samsun 2020 Frame.

A couple of emails detailing the issue and this thread and I have been pushed the patch.

The patch workaround consists of the below.

While we are still assisting Samsung in figuring out what is going on, we have been able to develop a quick fix that just disables the screensaver you see when you go to the HDMI input that the Arc is plugged in to, this seems to resolve the issue with getting no sound.

Not sure if this affects other tv’s in the same way, but just glad I’ll have a fix when i get home

I have just purchased the Arc and a Sony A8H 65 inch TV. I am experiencing multiple audio drop outs where the sound just stops. I have to flick the pass through setting in the TV to Auto and then off again to get the sound back. Prior to the Arc having no sound I can hear small drop outs in my setup (arc, sub gen 3 and 2 one SLs). It happens on Atoms audio. If I use PCM which defeats the point of the setup as it's only registers stereo 2.0 I do not experience the issue (so far). It is almost as if the arc's memory is overflowing due to the greater audio demand. I really hope this is not a hardware issue and can be fixed with a software update.

I have replicated it about 8 times on our planet episode 1 (2019) on Netflix at the same point (about 25 seconds in). Just tried it again PCM works OK then Atmos drops out at the same point. Replicated this over multiple days. Anyone else getting this issue at the same point on a stream?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @ledzep1, thank you for the update.

Since we have an on-going investigation.

In this case, I would recommend calling our Phone support to add your TV model to the list our Engineers need to check. (If not yet added)

1 800 680 2345  Monday to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET.

This is to create a case for documentation and our Phone support has the option to escalate the case further if need be.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

This issue has finally been resolved for me today with the arc update. (Samsung frame tv)
4 months was way too long for a resolution.