Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

750 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just got a notification saying the post has been updated with a “Best Answer” from KrishnaM.

I do agree that’s the “Best Answer” currently available but can we please leave this marked Open since the solution is not solved - even in Krishna’s post, it says “we are working with them to address the issue”

Clearly it is not solved yet.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Similar issue here.

Equipment:

• Sony X900H purchased in June, latest firmware as of today.
  • Sonos Arc purchased in July, latest firmware as of today.
  • HDMI cable: Zeskit Ultra HD High Speed 48 Gbps

It seems like the issue really started occurring for me after the new firmware upgrade on the Sony X900H that came out a few weeks ago. I currently have the eARC setting set to Auto, HDMI 3 input set to Standard for the Sonos Arc. Audio passthrough set to Auto.

The issue manifests itself as the following:

• either the sound completely drops for about 10 to 15 seconds before resuming normally,
  • or the volume drops dramatically for about 1 second and then resumes normally.

Either way, this completely ruins the watching experience.

On the first occurrence about two weeks ago, I did end up restarting the TV and the Arc, and that did fix the issue for about a day, but the issue has repeated itself at the same interval ever since.

If I had to guess, I would say the issue occurs every 3 to 5 hours of watching content. The source seems irrelevant as I have noted the issue on any of the native tv apps (youtube, disney, amazon, netflix, etc.).

Looking forward to a quick resolution… I would hate to have to post a negative review on this otherwise excellent product. Hope Sonos takes this as seriously as they should.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I think the issue is with the TVs not Sonos. I updated my X950H to v6.4960 and since then not one sound drop with the Arc.

Same here. I don’t even think about the issue anymore. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out and appreciate all the details and sharing the feedbacks. Let me now help you with this.

For Samsung TV users, check the steps below. 

1. First, check if the issue occurs when using a different HDMI cable.
  2. If the issue persists, we then want to eliminate any other bad HDMI devices that could be causing the issue.
  3. If you have multiple HDMI connected devices and inbuilt apps, does the issue occur without all the HDMI devices connected, if not, add one HDMI device back to the TV at a time until the combination is found that causes the issue?
  4. Else if the issue persists without any other HDMI sources connected or just the one primary HDMI source, check the workaround/s below and let me know the Samsung TV model.

Two options:

• Reboot the Sonos ARC.
  • Hard reboot the TV ( disconnect the TV from the power for a minute or two) then reconnect power.

We have reported the issue to Samsung and that we are working with them to address the issue. 

For Sony TV users:

Arc is experiencing TV playback interruptions when playing DD+ format content from Sony XBR950G TV apps.

Adjusting TV audio settings to DD or PCM audio format will be our workaround if you have the same problem.

For LG TV users:

When using an LG C9 with the output set to eARC, and playing DD+ Atmos content from the inbuilt apps, the audio will be frequently interrupted. For now, disable eARC on the LG C9 OLED TV for Inbuilt DD+Atmos Content.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate the patience and understanding. Our engineering team is currently working on a fix. We don’t have the exact timing to share at this point and will update this thread when we do.

If you all have a different problem, create a new thread, or find a similar thread that would be helpful to your concern. 

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

I have been monitoring this thread with interest for the last few weeks now as I have been experiencing these issues like everyone else. I can’r believe, like a lot of people, that Sonos can’t be bothered to keep us updated on the progress of the issue. I have today emailed the CEO of Sonos to get their view on the matter and if I get a response will post it on this thread.

I hope Sonos fix the issue quickly as it would be a shame for such an issue to tarnish what is otherwise a quality brand. Keeping my fingers crossed for a fix.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yep add me to the list. After the Arc update today to 12.2 I’m getting the constant drop outs with my LG CX after swapping from Atmos to non Atmos content. The awful experience continues.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Happening now even when changing channels within the same (YoutubeTV) app. Not good. How long is the warranty? Really thinking of returning it. $800 is just too expensive for it to not work correctly. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

But we are seeing the problem with different TV’s. Samsung, LG and Sony are all having problems. I have a LG B9 and im having exactly the same problem as a user with a LG CX.

Userlevel 1

Diagnostic number 945223379

I experience this issue often. Right now using HBOMax on Sony x900h. Sound cuts out and then cuts back in. 

If I take the advice above for Sony TVs. If I switch my TV audio settings to DD or PCM, how will it effect the Atmos? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Just came here to ask if this update fixes the drops, oh well, more waiting it seems.:disappointed:

From the consensus it seems the short audio dropouts or complete audio drop outs happen a lot with the Samsung and LG TVs. In fact I think it happens with any TV that has eARC activated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Did you try and contact Sonos about your problem?

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Florentcm Unfortunately for me, calling them has been even bigger dead end and a waste of time.  At least here, other prospective buyers or buyers who have return windows open can make a decision with the facts.  Also, once in a while, @Krishma M does respond and is trying to be helpful but this is unreal how long this is taking.  If this doesn’t get resolved, Sonos brand will just become irrelevant but it also seems simple enough they can fix this - I have other Sonos TV speakers and never had an issue, only with this.

Same as above. I have a Samsung frame. I need to unplug the arc every time I turn the tv on in order for the sound to work. Otherwise, I get about 1 second of audio followed by 3 seconds of silence.  Please help!  Sounds great when it works.  

Having a similar issue here, not so much the repeated cutting in and out, but more like working fine and then not. Turning the tv off and then on again got sound out of the Arc once again. Only seems to happen with Prime so far. Totally random though. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I’ve just bought an Arc and 2 One SL’s. When streaming Netflix or ITunes movies the audio cuts for a split second every now and then. Similar to some of the others on this page. I’ve done the override on my Apple TV to force the audio output to Dolby 5.1 only. Still happens. (Don’t even mention Atmos, I don’t think my TV supports that. When I force the Apple TV to play Stereo only I have no issues. Just for Dolby 5.1 or what ever the source suppliers. What do I do ? Looks like it’s a common issue on here. Do I need to return the entire system ? 

It’s not Sonos.. it’s the firmware that needs to be updated corrected by the tv manufacturers. Sony has resolved this issue with their update. System works excellent now with Sony tv. You didn’t mention the tv brand you have but I suspect it’s Samsung (?). They have not got it straight yet. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Well, I just ordered a new Arc. This will be my third . My original Arc I bought in June is still attached to my system. Sonos sent a replacement that acted up on the second and third day of being hooked up so went back to the original and sent replacement back. My new one( third try) will be here this week. If it acts up, I’m thinking it’s not the Arc. Don’t think three Arcs would be defective. I’ll blame it on the tv manufacturers. We shall see. 

It sure seems to be a design flaw in the Arc.  It’s happening across most of the brands of TVs, and stories like yours just confirm that it’s not a one off broken unit.  All 3 of your arcs may be ‘defective’ like the rest of ours in that bad design is the defect. 

There are far more people not having issues with their Arc. 

This problem seems to be pretty wide spread and now TV manufacturers are dealing with people complaining about it as well.  I assume you mention far more people not having issues because you only see a handful of us on the internet + Sonos has not put in a recall.

As I mentioned earlier, both my friend and I did not have any issue for months only to one day run into it.  We both owned the old Sono Soundbar and Beam (to all same TVs) with no issues.  My problem still comes back frequently enough but my friend goes weeks before he has the issue and plugs out the plug and it works again.  He seems happy enough with the solution and asked me to keep him up.  Given it is already mounted and works well most of the time - he is more patient.  Either way, It definitely seems like the issue is something to do with how the Arc “talks” to the TV.  Also as previously mentioned, it seems like nobody can pinpoint the exact issue, which is making it harder to solve.  But I do firmly believe this isn’t a hardware defect (and is inherent in every Arc you will receive) but a problem that arises when two systems (your arc and your TV) tries to communicate and something all of a sudden, they start speaking different languages.

Chippy,

Same issue with my Sony Bravia.  Seems to only happen with Netflix but I don’t watch prime much. Seems just fine on Plex. Really random and it’s super annoying. Last night was the first night it only happened once about 17 min into “The Crown”. After that there were a few moments where it would cut out for a second but just for a split second and wouldn’t require me turning the TV off and on.  I’ve tried switching the HDMI cables and my arc is on Ethernet with the WiFi disabled just to make sure that wasn’t the issue.

Userlevel 2

Well I think there are worrying signs this isn’t fixable and that Sonos will fix it in a subsequent batch of models and leave existing owners in the cold. I get initially they wanted to keep it quiet to rush a fix out so as not to tarnish a new products reputation. 
It has been long enough now for it to be the key issue in reviews and I have started emailing prominent review sites asking them to re review the product highlighting the fact that, in effect it does not work to do the thing it was designed and advertised to do.

I suggest others do the same and it may then get taken more seriously as reviews start reflecting the truth on the ground.

Sonos need to admit the issue and be open now, as treating people like fools when it’s across all TVs and then replacing units when it’s a known issue is a waste of time. One google and people will see the forums.

I have lots of Sonos products and have been happy with them all. I want them to fix it, but come on now Sonos you can do better than this!

Userlevel 1
Badge

For anyone wondering if this is your tv/streaming device or any hardware other than your Sonos Arc just know it's not. 

I bought my Sonos arc two weeks ago and before this I had a Samsung N850 soundbar paired with my samsung Q7FN tv and nvidia shield. Never one issue with that soundbar besides a audio delay. I heard good things about sonos arc so bought one. It's been a nightmare ever since. Anytime I play atmos audio it starts crackling. If we switch apps sling/Netflix, etc the sound drops off and we have to cycle our audio source for it to pick back up. Even when we are watching something on Sling TV app and the show/movie ends and goes to the next program the sound drops off. It's a joke. Someone here said a patch is on the way. I'll wait a few weeks for it. If not I'm returning this soundbar. I can't believe how much problems a soundbar can have. 

It is annoying that this issue is still present after so many months, I just had to go back and forth between sources my LG CX to get my xbox to play sound from the sonos arc, its like eARC has some issue establishing an audio connection.

eARC needs some serious tweaking TV manufactures end and Sonos. 

It is odd that it is taking  four months to resolve this issue. I am starting to think that this is not fixable via Sonos firmware / software updates or it would have been done by now. 

This issue has been happening for weeks and like everyone else, I’m beyond frustrated. Read through most of this thread that’s documented this issue over the last 7 months, and good to see there’s some amount of progress on the forefront. I honestly can’t believe it’s taken this long for just a beta to get to testers hands. 

If any Sonos support people are still here, my diagnostic code is: 1338160169

I’d like to know if the same issue I’m experiencing is what has been identified by the engineers. 

I have already:

• Hard reset both the tv and Arc
  • ensured both are up to date on firmware and OS
  • swapped HDMI cables
  • changed the audio settings on my TV (Sony x900H)

Not sure if anyone else noted this, but this DOES ALSO happen to me sometimes when streaming Spotify over Airplay to the Arc. Some days are worse than others. Hoping for the new firmware to fix this issue as I am tired of dealing with this every day. 

I have the same TV model with same issue. I can not watch full movie without restart the sonos Arc or TV. I am really disappointed in sonos support

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same problem, here. Among other problems.

Long time Playbar user. Zero problems. 

Intermittent cut in sound. Wall mount. Under Sony 65” X950G (2018). Stock Sonos cables. eArc connection.

Hope there’s a simple fix.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Kills me that this thread status is “Answered”.

Have a Samsung Q95 TV and also have the same problem with the arc sound cutting in and out.

But have found a way to solve the issue with out turning the power off and on. 

in the expert sound setting there is a Dolby Atmos compatibility toggle button.   By simply clicking this off and on it fixes the ARC problem and can even set the HDMI -eARC mode to auto which following this process.

so clearly the problem is fixable.    Just getting sick of having to do this every day.   

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I had a beam before getting an arc and there were no problems at all. But with the arc using hdmi ARC i have small problems and huge problems with eARC.

Im pretty sure its either a hardware or software issue with Sonos arc. And if its hardware then they better realize it fast so all the people who bought expensive equipment can get it exchanged and enjoy the full experience.