Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

751 replies

Hi, thanks fir yr info - that’s really useful. I have installed the latest software on both Samsung and Sonos but unfortunately it’s no different. I hear what you say as to responsibility, but there are a lot of other sound systems that work properly with identical TV’s (that the ARc doesn’t work with). I still have to disconnect the mains to get it to work on the TV which really isn’t great!

I recently installed a 12 x ‘Amp’ Sonos system for a friend and client, just relieved he didn’t want a Sonos Arc - he used a high end Denon which works fine - phew!

So I have just been on the phone with Sonos and on chat with Samsung at the same time. Sonos believe the issue is the way Samsung has implemented the eARC in the TV is not to HDMI standard. They are still actively working on a solution with Samsung,

Samsung and Sonos have advised to turn off eARC for the time being until a fix is issued… (fix might be returning this tv...) D̶o̶l̶b̶y̶ ̶A̶t̶m̶o̶s̶

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I am at a complete loss right now...Just got off the phone with Customer support and was told this is a Samsung issue and I needed to contact them.  

The issue I am having is that at my mom’s house, her Arc cuts in and out, and I drive over...unplug...plug back in...check HDMI...works for a week...repeat.  I am shocked that customer service is not aware of this, and is still claiming this is a Samsung issue.

Dogdad

Thanks I am in the process of reading up on exactly that, I will update the forum on how I get on. I am going to try the flash drive update as it’s the only way other than waiting for the staggered updates from Sony.

thanks again. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Next step, I have contacted Samsung, and they state that our TV is updated to the latest firmware, and Sonos is aware of the issue and has an updated firmware to work with Samsung TV’s.  Does anyone know the keys to getting Sonos support to push the correct firmware to the Arc?

I have got the same problem here. Currently using a Samsung 65Q950TS, updated to software version 1403.1 and the the Arc is updated to version 12.2. 

I am still experiencing sound cut outs every few days, not the experience I was hoping for with an €9.000 setup. Bad thing is, Sonos is blaming Samsung and Samsung is blaming Sonos.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @JT33, thank you for reaching out and sorry for the late response.

Hi @Jbrow, thank you for the update.

@JT33, I understand if you wish to return the product as our Sound Engineers work out the kinks. 

As long as the product hasn’t passed the 45-day money-back guarantee return you should be able to get your money’s worth back. 

As for the TV firmware, we would need to lessen the variables our Sound Engineers need to check. So having it up to date can help them as well.

If you feel that there’s something wrong with your Arc. It would be worth calling our Phone Support as they have more options if they find something wrong with the Arc. 

@Jbrow, I checked the diagnostic, I’m seeing the same error as the others including @JT33’s diagnostic. The TV signal is lost then found intermittently.

Check any firmware update for the TV, check the HDMI cable connection, test if the Arc plays music without audio drops, and then reboot the TV and Arc by unplugging both(boot up the TV first before the Arc).

Update us with your findings and if the reboot fixed it or not.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Just wanted to let everyone know that Sonos sent me a replacement Arc. After 5 hours , it also had an audio drop off issue when I was watching tv then switched to Netflix. I’m wondering if it’s the tv’s now and not the Arc’s. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @chdpowell, thank you for reaching out, and thank you for getting our attention to this.

I checked the diagnostic, it’s the same error I’ve been seeing from the diagnostics from the others.

Currently, this issue is widespread, it’s been reported and it’s under investigation.

There’s no current time table for a solution at the moment; however, once a solution is rolled out we’ll have an announcement here in the Community.

Either in the main page of the Community forums or in the large threads about the issue.

In the meantime, I would like you to test if the Optical connection is more stable. 

Because we want to provide the best experience until the issue is resolved.

Everyone, you can report the issue with our Phone support for your specific TV model for our engineers to look into as well.

1 800 680 2345 Monday to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET.

We also have phone support phone numbers for other countries in our Support Website.

We apologize for the inconvenience the issue has caused and thank you for your patience.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Hi all,

Here the same issue Sonos arc + Samsung the frame. Only way to fix is to unplug and plug. 

Don’t expect this from a device That expensive. 

hope there will be a fix asap

rgds daniel

Userlevel 3
Badge

Nope, no zip sounds.

I do still have sound cutting on 12.2 with the Sony A9G. Excited to watch the Mandalorian on Kodi but …. no sound, switching off eArc, enable/disable pass through, switch to/away PCM. Nothing worked. In TV mode the sound was available.

As a last resort I fully rebooted the TV and then it worked again. Forgot to send a diagnostics report though, as I was already super agitated as the moment of excitement was gone and apparently had to deep dive into various settings and options again.

What probably puts me away the most is what I perceive as a total lack of transparency, communication, timelines or a high level plan moving forward from Sonos. I understand new hardware and software can introduce issues … it's not ok but I can understand. But please, at least provide some plan moving forward.

The only response I see here is “please send in your diagnostics report”. Well by now you should have received thousands of them right?

So with all the information collected so far, initiate sessions with Sony, LG, Samsung and Sonos technical representatives. Put the brains together in a room, get a whiteboard, some markers, discuss the challenges, come up with an action plan to iteratively work your way forward to a concrete solution and keep the community informed on the progress of this ‘task force’ by a bi-weekly or monthly basis. It's not that hard you know.

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out and appreciate all the details and sharing the feedbacks. Let me now help you with this.

For Samsung TV users, check the steps below. 

1. First, check if the issue occurs when using a different HDMI cable.
  2. If the issue persists, we then want to eliminate any other bad HDMI devices that could be causing the issue.
  3. If you have multiple HDMI connected devices and inbuilt apps, does the issue occur without all the HDMI devices connected, if not, add one HDMI device back to the TV at a time until the combination is found that causes the issue?
  4. Else if the issue persists without any other HDMI sources connected or just the one primary HDMI source, check the workaround/s below and let me know the Samsung TV model.

Two options:

• Reboot the Sonos ARC.
  • Hard reboot the TV ( disconnect the TV from the power for a minute or two) then reconnect power.

We have reported the issue to Samsung and that we are working with them to address the issue. 

If you all have a different problem, create a new thread, or find a similar thread that would be helpful to your concern. 

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

Samsung Q80T

1 - initially used the Sonos supplied HDMI cable, thought that was the issue, then used an 8K 48Gbps dHDR eARC cable with 32 channel audio. Issue occurred with both, investigated, found this thread, posted weeks ago, and returned to using your Sonos supplied HDMI cable.

2 - obviously the arc is only connected to the Q80T. The only other device connected to the Q80T is an AppleTV 4K connected via a 4K 18Gbps eARC HDCP2.2 HDMI cable.

3 - this tv only uses AppleTV. No Smart TV apps and no Broadcast TV. Due to the infrequency of the issue, I’m uncertain whether it happens immediately upon turning it on, randomly after using it for a long period of time with consistent content, or when there’s a content change with different audio features.

4 - Samsung Q80T. The first workaround, as instructed by other Sonos reps in previous posts, works fine.

5 - I will say this - the issue is not a frequent occurrence. Which is tolerable for now but the bad news is that the infrequency makes it difficult to identify a cause or persuade me to return it. It has definitely stopped me from buying more Sonos products or recommending it.

In regards to having enough persuasion to return it, I’m getting there thanks to the regurgitated responses from Sonos and time wasted on something as insignificant as a sound bar.

Hopefully, this isn’t Sonos’ BS “best answer” for too long

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

As well as drop outs, does anyone get that “zip” type sound, notice occasionally on my CX/ARC combo via apple tv 4k when watching atmos content.

Maybe. I heard a weird sound yesterday but its not something i have been experiencing before. But im experiencing the other issues you have with the audio dropping completly when switching source. 

Yeah the audio dropping completely between sources is annoying, hopefully Sonos can put all efforts into the audio dropping issues, now that the LPCM update is out which was great, we don’t need more features added at this time, more so reliability please Sonos.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I'm having the same problem

LG OLED CX 2020 model - using EARC via hdmi to the Sonos arc

apple TV 4K 

when it starts happening it won't stop, even if I reboot the Apple TV. Have to reboot the whole tv or Sonos arc to fox it.

Have you upgraded the 12.0.5 firmware? It’s for the sub and Arc

Yep It forced me to, I just set it up today for the first time. Man this really sticks as I really like the arc. 

I have CX as well, I actually dumped the Apple 4k box and now use the internal apps, although I do get the occasional audio issues, I would say its only dropped audio twice near the start of something and audio has not come back without changing settings.

The most annoying issue for me is the ARC seems to lose connection with the CX when I switch sources, for example exiting internal Netflix app and back to TV tuner there will be no sound, or when I turn off my xbox on hdmi 1 and switch back to the tv tuner there will be no sound. 

Fix by turning off/on eARC setting resolves it but it gets annoying having to do this.

Luckily it doesn't happen all the time, but clearly eARC is flakey on the CX or the ARC and we need a fix.

Yeah I think it would of been cool if Sonos supported Wisa or something, as the lg Oled c9 and up support wisa wireless audio so you would even need the hdmi cable, wisa supports atmos now to. It is super frustrating though, as the Sonos arc and lg Oled cx have been out long enough to fox this kinda thing.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Reading on reddit and it seems as if a lot of people are having eARC issues. The new firmware update properly made more people switch to eARC and now they are experiencing audio drops.

Sonos should really get moving on this!

Hello guys, 

Same issue here with my SONY Bravia xbr49x800d but also sometimes the image is also cutting out for a fraction of a second. It never happen before with my Playbar.

The ARC is plugged into the TV HDMI ARC port.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Corry P I reached out to Sonos support. They advised updating to latest firmware for my Samsung Q80T, believing that this will fix the issue. I am currently on 1462 and my TV tells me that this is the latest available by internet install. However the Samsung website says that there is a new version, 1462.1, which is what the Sonos rep believes will fix the issue. Unfortunately it is only available via USB install using a Windows machine, and we’re all Mac. Bottom line is that Sonos appears to believe that this is a Samsung problem, but I currently have no way to tell. Guess I have to wait until Samsung provides this update by direct download. 

WRM,

there is a Way you can place the firmware on into the right folder, also on Mac. Just remember you have to format the USB in exFAT format for the Samsung TV to read it. Just google something like “Samsung TV firmware on mac.” I couldn’t remember the right way to do it either, so I googled it.

This issue has finally been resolved for me today with the arc update. (Samsung frame tv)
4 months was way too long for a resolution. 

Is there somewhere where we can read the release notes to see if the fix for this issue has been addressed? 

You will find the release notes for Sonos updates here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521

Hi, I've recently had this issue on a brand new setup of Samsung QE55Q90 and sonos arc connected through eArc in the TV. Every so often the sound would start to drop for about a second every few seconds. Only way to fix was to unplug sonos arc from the mains and restart it. 

I see other people have mentioned problems after using the Nintendo Switch and it dawned on me that I've only recently plugged the switch into the TV and the sound drop outs appear to have started since then - it definitely didn't happen for the few weeks I've had the sonos before then.

Have unplugged the Switch completely and will report back if the sound drops out again 

I know it's difficult to test for all permutations of AV equipment but I don't think this is really good enough for such an expensive soundbar. 

If the matter is resolved, then try switching off HDMI-CEC control on the Nintendo Switch.
I think (but not sure?) you have to goto "Settings | External Inputs | Bravia Sync Settings | Bravia Sync Device List” to switch it off - at least that’s what was mentioned online.

I have the Samsung frame tv and the arc, I have the same issues as everyone here-sound cutting in and out. I called their support and tried all the tricks, nothing work. At the end of all that the sonos rep said this was a known issue and Samsung and sonnos are working together, no timeline for a fix but the last update was December (whatever that means). I requested them to push the above-described build to my system and they said there was no solution yet and I would be updated by email when there was a solution. This is terrible spending this kind of money and getting a system that has to be physically unplugged each time I want to use it. I was a huge sonos fan prior to the arc-basically telling everyone to get sonos, but this is awful.

I have the same problem with my arc cutting out for a few seconds every hour or two, it starts with a noise which i can only describe as short-circuit noise then silence then again a short circuit noise then it works again the bar was ok on my older ARC tv but i now have eARC tv and the problem has begun, has sonos actually come up why this is happening and how they are going to do something about it?
I have spent thousands on various sonos kit and i am very disappointed 

I would follow the advice given by Staff and submit a system diagnostic report when it next happens (asap and within 10 minutes of the issue) and post the reference back here and then contact Sonos Support via this LINK.

Knock on wood, mine started working again. I noticed in the sonos app my Arc and sub didn’t have system data. So I changed my input on my tv to the input my Arc is connected. After a min or so the system data loaded. I also checked my network connection in the app. I trying to change my Sonos channel but it wouldn’t let me. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

And now the audio dropped completly. It happend when i changed the channel and the audio came back when i changed back to the previous channel.

Diagnostic: 601904730

This issue has finally been resolved for me today with the arc update. (Samsung frame tv)
4 months was way too long for a resolution. 

Still not resolved for me with my Frame tv sadly...

Userlevel 7

@gairman Some CX owners have reported the recent firmware updates to the TV have fixed the problems they were experiencing. So be sure Geek Squad updates the firmware on the LG before setting up the Arc.