Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

750 replies

Badge +1

@Sparkr  What is the model of your TV ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Not that I can tell.  I updated with it and it didn’t change anything.  However, I don’t know if the update required the system to reboot or not.  I subsequently unplugged the system and replugged it in and it started working normally again.  I don’t think this update had anything to do with this issue, but Sonos needs to answer that.

I updated , didn’t reboot anything, and so far my system has been perfect. It was so bad I unplugged  my Arc and listened to tv volume only. It says not to unplug anything for the update so I plugged my Arc back in to the tv before updating. So far, it’s spot on.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I'm having the same problem

LG OLED CX 2020 model - using EARC via hdmi to the Sonos arc

apple TV 4K 

when it starts happening it won't stop, even if I reboot the Apple TV. Have to reboot the whole tv or Sonos arc to fox it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

apple TV 4K 

when it starts happening it won't stop, even if I reboot the Apple TV. Have to reboot the whole tv or Sonos arc to fox it.

Have you upgraded the 12.0.5 firmware? It’s for the sub and Arc

Userlevel 1
Badge

apple TV 4K 

Yep It forced me to, I just set it up today for the first time. Man this really sticks as I really like the arc. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

apple TV 4K 

Yep It forced me to, I just set it up today for the first time. Man this really sticks as I really like the arc. 

I have CX as well, I actually dumped the Apple 4k box and now use the internal apps, although I do get the occasional audio issues, I would say its only dropped audio twice near the start of something and audio has not come back without changing settings.

The most annoying issue for me is the ARC seems to lose connection with the CX when I switch sources, for example exiting internal Netflix app and back to TV tuner there will be no sound, or when I turn off my xbox on hdmi 1 and switch back to the tv tuner there will be no sound. 

Fix by turning off/on eARC setting resolves it but it gets annoying having to do this.

Luckily it doesn't happen all the time, but clearly eARC is flakey on the CX or the ARC and we need a fix.

Userlevel 1
Badge

apple TV 4K 

I have CX as well, I actually dumped the Apple 4k box and now use the internal apps, although I do get the occasional audio issues, I would say its only dropped audio twice near the start of something and audio has not come back without changing settings.

The most annoying issue for me is the ARC seems to lose connection with the CX when I switch sources, for example exiting internal Netflix app and back to TV tuner there will be no sound, or when I turn off my xbox on hdmi 1 and switch back to the tv tuner there will be no sound. 

Fix by turning off/on eARC setting resolves it but it gets annoying having to do this.

Luckily it doesn't happen all the time, but clearly eARC is flakey on the CX or the ARC and we need a fix.

Yeah I think it would of been cool if Sonos supported Wisa or something, as the lg Oled c9 and up support wisa wireless audio so you would even need the hdmi cable, wisa supports atmos now to. It is super frustrating though, as the Sonos arc and lg Oled cx have been out long enough to fox this kinda thing.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Dogdad and @method_ben, sorry for the late response.

The release notes state:

• Full system update 
  • Fix for Lifecycle bug impacting Legacy players
  • Other bug fixes/app cleanup

I’ve checked the progress of other issues with the Arc like the connection issue with Samsung TVs, the investigation is still on-going.

I’ll try to gather more information about the update.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @Dogdad and @method_ben, sorry for the late response.

The release notes state:

• Full system update 

I’ve checked the progress of other issues with the Arc like the connection issue with Samsung TVs, the investigation is still on-going.

Don’t forget it’s not just Samsung TVs that experience connection issues, the new LG CX also has connection issues.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Dogdad and @method_ben, sorry for the late response.

The release notes state:

• Full system update 

Don’t forget it’s not just Samsung TVs that experience connection issues, the new LG CX also has connection issues.

Yes, of course. For now, I will try to get more details.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

@Kyle A

I was watching just the tv tuner on my lg cx today and shortly after turning tv on about a minute into watching something the sound just dropped completely and didn't come back, had to switch to a different hdmi port and back to tv tuner to bring back the audio.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @ledzep1, thank you for the update.

Since we have an on-going investigation.

In this case, I would recommend calling our Phone support to add your TV model to the list our Engineers need to check. (If not yet added)

1 800 680 2345  Monday to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET.

This is to create a case for documentation and our Phone support has the option to escalate the case further if need be.

Just got the Arc and have it paired with 2 Play:1’s and a gen 3 sub. 
Samsung Q80R tv. 

The sound from the tv will play for around 5 seconds and then cut out for around 1 second, play for 5, out for 1, on and on. 

I’ve swapped out the hdmi cable twice, tried unplugging the tv, switched between PCM and DD+ and switched between different apps on the tv. 

The sonos app shows that I am getting an atmos signal  

Was running a beam with the Play:1’s (but no sub) before just fine.

Not sure what I should try next.

Thank you,

mike

Same issue.  Arc will not play sound on New Frame TV when Earc is enabled.  For grins, I bought a Sony soundbar to see if it’s a Samsung or Sonos issue.  Sony soundbar worked so must be on Sonos end

Userlevel 2

Same issue for me with a Samsung Q95T

Normally drops in and out 3 or 4 time an hour. Then sometimes so bad it stays in a state of switching on and off every few seconds. When it gets this bad I have unplug it to reset it to get it back to just the normal drop in and out. 

looking forward to the software patch 

Arc, Sub (g3) and 2 * 1SL. LG75nano996na (8k), using 8k HDMI cable via earc. Music not cutting out. TV does occasionally. TV & Sonos - latest software.  If it helps, I often hear a loud buzz (sounds like a digital signal) for about half a second when tv channel changed, and before audio kicks-in.  Nobody else seems to have mentioned this.  It’s not a problem I need you to solve, just thought it may help you diagnose the cut-out problem. Regards

Badge +1

Gutted with my arc sound dropping off! ☹️

Have LG OLED 77C9PUB77, brand new using arc port to new arc just purchased. TV sends sound to arc for 2-3 seconds then reverts back to internal speaker. Have tried rebooting, cables, etc. Just wired my whole home with Sonos. Now this. very frustrating. Need help!

Folks, Forgive me if my ‘little’ knowledge is dangerous, but - it seems that the Arc is supplied with an HDMI 1.4 cable which supports Audio Return Channel (arc), but not eArc (see table at the bottom of here; https://www.techhive.com/article/3330376/do-i-need-a-4k-hdmi-cable.html ). For eArc you need a 2.1 or 2.2 cable.  The Sonos Arc has an eArc connector, so surely it requires a compatible cable, not the one supplied.  2.1 or 2.2 cables are cheap enough - worth a try. Regards

Badge

Had the Arc for a couple of weeks, it looks and sounds good when all is well.

Have to say naively plug and play came to mind when I bought it, but have had to go on this forum, along with Samsung’s & Virgin Media to resolve some niggles, with the one that seems remaining now being the intermittent sound from TV. 

Sonos support have been helpful but it sounds as though there is some work to do with TV manufacturers to resolve this issue.

Currently the frequency of my issue is not too bad, and at the moment reboots get things back on track. But I have checked with my retailer how long I have left to return the unit for a full refund, hopefully it does not come to that.

Badge

Hi,

I am also having the same issue with the Arcs sound cutting out for half a second every now and then. I find it only seems to happen when watching streaming services like netflix or Amazon prime. Have not had the issue when watching virgin media. I submitted a diagnostic a few moments after a drop out in sound.

My diagnostics number is 823028576. 

I would appreciate if someone from Sonos can have a look into this for me. After first having the issue I connected everything around the Arc via ethernet cable so I don't think this would be from WiFi interference. I also have the beam and 2 surrounds in another room and never have this issue.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

After sending in a diagnostic, the Sonos rep called me and we discussed the situation with the audio cutting out. If I’m playing music and no audio disconnect happens, it’s either the cable ( which I have switched already), the tv, or the HDMI plugs on tv or ARC.  

I’ve experienced this on both Samsung Q90 and Sony 950h with the same Sonos Arc. Using a high-quality HDMI 2.1 cable. The issue happens primarily when switching sources (to another app or HDMI input). The audio either doesn’t come in at all, mutes on/off in cycles, or stutters on/off rapidly. 

Unplugging and plugging back in resolves the issue for a couple days. Turning off eArc limits the number of occurrences but doesn’t entirely eliminate them. 

@Kyle A if this is helpful. Happy to send in actual video, diagnostics, etc. 

I contacted CS but they couldn’t see anything in the diagnostics and told me there’s nothing they could do but to call back next time it happens. Which… isn’t exactly helpful. haha

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @AndyCHC, thank you for reaching out and sorry for the late response.

I checked the diagnostic, It had the same instance as the others. The Arc losing the TV HDMI signal.

Also, yes, it’s not the network that causing this but the connection of the TV and Arc.

@Dogdad, yes, it between the TV and Arc; it could be either the cable, HDMI port, TV, or the Arc. 

@nachoparty, unfortunately, there’s not much we could do here in the community.

I could double-check the diagnostic you sent to the agent if you like.

I would assume that they asked for the TV model for documentation at least, did they?

@PSD 58, good to know you were informed on how much time you have to decide for the return. I won’t stop you if you decide to; as this is included in the Sonos Terms of Sale. 

“We are confident that you will love your new Sonos product, however, if you are unsatisfied for any reason, simply let us know.”

We have a memo about this bug and it’s currently under investigation. For now, the only workaround is to reboot.

@chriskem, seems a different issue from the others, could you send a diagnostic so we can check for any errors.

In the Sonos App, Setting > Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostic and post the confirmation here.

We will let everyone know if there’s more information to share. If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I’ve experienced this on both Samsung Q90 and Sony 950h with the same Sonos Arc. Using a high-quality HDMI 2.1 cable. The issue happens primarily when switching sources (to another app or HDMI input). The audio either doesn’t come in at all, mutes on/off in cycles, or stutters on/off rapidly. 

Unplugging and plugging back in resolves the issue for a couple days. Turning off eArc limits the number of occurrences but doesn’t entirely eliminate them. 

@Kyle A if this is helpful. Happy to send in actual video, diagnostics, etc. 

I contacted CS but they couldn’t see anything in the diagnostics and told me there’s nothing they could do but to call back next time it happens. Which… isn’t exactly helpful. haha

This is my exact issue on the LG CX, for me it just never comes back after switching sources, exiting apps and so on, It doesn't happen all the time, and I can get the audio back by switching to an unused hdmi port and back to the source I want to use.

I have also tried multiple hdmi cables, with no luck.

@Kyle A 

Clearly an issue here that needs to be looked into, we shouldn't have to be making phone calls to support on separate cases, enough people on these forums have reported these issues with audio dropout that it should be something engineers are looking to fix.

I have the same issues with the Arc, on a brand new Samsung The Frame. When turned off for the night, the next morning the sound starts going on and off with 3 second intervals. Only thing that helps is pulling out the HDMI and power cables. Then everything works fine again (apart from the Samsung eArc/Dolby Atmos issue, which is a whole different ballgame). I’m thinking of returning the Arc, I’ve had it for 4 days and have been constantly trying to fix issues. I’m getting fed up. (And yes, everything is up to date, cables are fine etc.)