15.8 update is a nightmare

• 21 September 2023
  • 147 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

147 replies

Same issue with me guys. Every time I turn on the TV, I find out that the Sonos beam 2 got disconnected from my Samsung TV S95b. Same thing, I have to unplug the Sonos beam from power, then plug back in to make it work. Very frustrating! I hope Sonos solves this on their next update. 

This really sounds like a local issue, not one that is endemic across the board. Have you tried to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Same issue with me guys. Every time I turn on the TV, I find out that the Sonos beam 2 got disconnected from my Samsung TV S95b. Same thing, I have to unplug the Sonos beam from power, then plug back in to make it work. Very frustrating! I hope Sonos solves this on their next update. 

I’ve now only seen this type of issue reported with some Samsung TV’s - I have personally seen LG, Philips, Sony and Sharp TV’s all working okay with the current Sonos build, so it appears mostly Samsung related (just some models, not all) - it maybe the case that Samsung needs to fix something here - so it might be worth speaking to their customer support desk too, as they’ve attempted to fix a few issues with their TV’s and soundbars in recent (September) firmware updates, which (apparently) some Samsung users have been complaining about online.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

don’t waste the time to talk with samsung support the problem is 15.8 update. sonos working on a fix to this issue and thay admitted that the problem is the 15.8 update.

thay told me that they hope that the issue will slove in 15.9 update.

the issue is only with samsung tv and especially the s95b. i have also this model of tv.

The issue is happening on other TVs also ( i have neo-qled QN90B).

Its more than 3 weeks that we have an issue that practically makes our system unusable, and yet Sonos has done nothing to fix it. I mean, does the concept of hot-fix eludes them? How is this acceptable?

Its more than 3 weeks that we have an issue that practically makes our system unusable, and yet Sonos has done nothing to fix it. I mean, does the concept of hot-fix eludes them? How is this acceptable?

You could perhaps go onto use the supplied ‘optical to hdmi’ adapter that came with the Sonos soundbar - that would be a quick fix until the issue is resolved by whoever is due to perhaps fix this issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

You could perhaps go onto use the supplied ‘optical to hdmi’ adapter that came with the Sonos soundbar - that would be a quick fix until the issue is resolved by whoever is due to perhaps fix this issue.

optical its only for dolby digital and not support dolby atmos.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

from the beginning of this issue this is what i ask myself.

optical its only for dolby digital and not support dolby atmos.

Which is still far better than having no TV audio due to it dropping out, was my actual point.

Same issue here, Samsung S95B, Beam is not detected by TV, even though it outputs sound together with TV at that time. Volume can be change using app only when that happens.

There is extra device connected to TV by CEC-less adapter, bought because of this issue, but it didn't help.

Also issue happens even when only Beam was connected. The only way to recover is to power-cycle Beam and If you have to do it multiple times per day its annoying and it's only temporary work around.

It has been working rather fine for past few months, after last update it broke. Sonos please fix this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What TV? Which settings?

What TV? Which settings?

Same issue here, Samsung S95B, Beam is not detected by TV, even though it outputs sound together with TV at that time. Volume can be change using app only when that happens.

There is extra device connected to TV by CEC-less adapter, bought because of this issue, but it didn't help.

Also issue happens even when only Beam was connected. The only way to recover is to power-cycle Beam and If you have to do it multiple times per day its annoying and it's only temporary work around.

It has been working rather fine for past few months, after last update it broke. Sonos please fix this.

Tried any possible settings, e-Arc, Arc, cec, cec+, Auto, non-auto (PCM), passthrough.

Both App and HDMI source affected. If it's not connected, then its not connected, only power cycle of Beam helps. TV power-cycle don't resolve issue, so has to be Beam firmware related. Can provide diagnostic code.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

today i talked with sonos support and they told me they were delaying the 15.9 update until they finish to work on solving the issue.

i hope that 15.9 solved this issue and we won’t have to wait to the next update from sonos.

Same problem, sonos beam gen 2 (sw15. 8) +Samsung TV QN85BA

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

15.9 is here i update my system i hope this update solved the problem.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

15.9 frimware didn’t fix the 15.8 beam 2 connect issue. let’s hope that in the next update version it will happen.

15.9 frimware didn’t fix the 15.8 beam 2 connect issue. let’s hope that in the next update version it will happen.

Perhaps also keep an eye out for Samsung firmware updates too, just in case the fix is perhaps due to come from their side of things here.

Update to version 15.9 did not help. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Perhaps also keep an eye out for Samsung firmware updates too, just in case the fix is perhaps due to come from their side of things here.

i talk also with samsung and they investigate this issue and tell me that sonos make a change to the HDMI behavior from 15.8 frimware that effect samsung tv and the fix for that have to come from sonos.

and to strengthen this issue i take today from my friend a beam 2 with 15.7 frimware and connect it to my samsung tv. everything work fine and the beam 2 connect to the tv every time i turn on the tv without any problem.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

i talk also today again with the technical department of samsung i sent them an email and they got back to me.

they told me that the problem is with Knox security protcol that all the samsung tv from 2018 have. and the change that sonos made from 15.8 in some of their speakers affect the connection when turning on the tv.

sonos have to fix that issue.

i working on a temporary solution with a friend to disable the Knox security in the service menu of the tv. i hope that we will succeed to do that.

i talk also today again with the technical department of samsung i sent them an email and they got back to me.

they told me that the problem is with Knox security protcol that all the samsung tv from 2018 have. and the change that sonos made from 15.8 in some of their speakers affect the connection when turning on the tv.

sonos have to fix that issue.

i working on a temporary solution with a friend to disable the Knox security in the service menu of the tv. i hope that we will succeed to do that.

I always thought that was the security platform for their mobile devices🤔… a list of Samsung products that use knox are shown here:

https://www.samsungknox.com/en/knox-platform/supported-devices

It would make sense (perhaps) if Samsung do use some kind of TV security that sets them apart from other brands of TV. It would explain why most other brands are not affected by the recent updates. Anyhow I’m fairly sure that Sonos/Samsung will resolve the issue at some point, going forward, and hopefully that will hapoen sooner, rather than later, for those customers who have encountered these issues.

edit: Oh and I would personally wait, rather than disable any security settings, as that may invalidate any Samsung warranty/support etc.

Just use the Optical-to-HDMI adapter for the time being - very little is lost between Atmos and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound.

OK so first of all it’s good to see I am not the only one experiencing this issue.

This is most definitely a SONOS issue as it only stopped working for me roughly a month ago, around the same time the OP posted… and there had been NO changes in my setup or any Samsung firmware updates that I can see.

I have been constantly in contact with SONOS support for the whole month on and off about this, with a vacation away in between. For the most part, they have been helpful and keep giving me troubleshooting tasks to try. I have done so many but the issue still persists. It’s normally when the TV has been on standby for many hours that the problem repeats itself when the TV is turned on. I have to manually reset the power to the beam. We have tried such things as leaving only the beam connected via HDMI, power cycling both the beam and the TV and even switching my beam gen 2 with another beam gen 2 in a different room (ironically connected to an older Samsung TV and has NO issues whatsoever). Regardless of all of these”tasks”, the fault remains to this day.. leaving me annoyed beyond belief, especially when paying upwards of £3000 for my home theatre kit (including TV and subsequent SONOS components).

One person I spoke to in support did actually confirm they were aware of this “issue” and that there should be a fix coming for it. I assumed he meant in the latest firmware update that came through last week but alas this has not fixed the issue for me. I still hope that a proper fix is on the way. 

My only temporary solution that I have been thinking of doing, especially if this becomes a long term issue, is to have the beam plugged in via smart plug. I could then setup a shortcut on iOS to trigger the beam to turn off, wait a few seconds and then turn on again… which will then in turn mean it will reconnect with the TV. It’s really not the best solution by any means but it will stop this annoying issue and the beauty of shortcuts is it can all be automated to work with when the TV powers on too. I will try and create this shortcut on my next set of days off if anybody is interested in a similar function but it should be easy to create.

I just hope and pray that there IS indeed a bug fix for this coming. I used to love how amazing my home theatre kit worked but currently it just feels tainted by all of this. I just want everything to work as it should, too much to ask? 

@DIZZYDJC,

It appears a number of users in the community have been informed by Sonos Support Staff that the matter was being looked into, so I’m guessing that’s the case - it perhaps a case that once it’s fixed, the engineers will go onto test that the fix works in conjunction with Samsung etc. meanwhile you could as a temporary measure use the Optical to HDMI adapter that came with your Beam - you will lose Atmos audio but still receive 5.1 surround sound - but that’s perhaps better than power-cycling your devices, plus it’s only temporary until an update is released to hopefully fix the issue. I would also keep an eye out for Samsung updates too, just in case they change anything at their end to accommodate.

Hope it gets sorted for you soon. 👍

@DIZZYDJC,

It appears a number of users in the community have been informed by Sonos Support Staff that the matter was being looked into, so I’m guessing that’s the case - it perhaps a case that once it’s fixed, the engineers will go onto test that the fix works in conjunction with Samsung etc. meanwhile you could as a temporary measure use the Optical to HDMI adapter that came with your Beam - you will lose Atmos audio but still receive 5.1 surround sound - but that’s perhaps better than power-cycling your devices, plus it’s only temporary until an update is released to hopefully fix the issue. I would also keep an eye out for Samsung updates too, just in case they change anything at their end to accommodate.

Hope it gets sorted for you soon. 👍

Would be the answer but I didn’t keep my optical adapter lol

Smart Plug idea will work for me for now and hopefully will all get fixed soon too.