15.8 update is a nightmare

• 21 September 2023
  • 147 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

i have samsung tv that connected to beam 2 by HDMI to Earc until yesterday every thing work fine.

after the update to 15.8 the beam refuses to connect to the tv. i talk with the support and we tried everything. the only way to get the beam to connect is unplug the power cable and plug it back every time i turn my tv this is the only way. since yesterday that what i do every time i turn my tv.

its a nightmare sonos have to fix this issue.

Corry P 5 months ago

Hi @orenhazan et al

There was a similar issue recently whereby Beams would have no audio when playing TV audio coming from certain Samsung TVs, which has now been resolved. As your TV and Beam seem to be losing the connection between them, however, this seems like a different issue. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

147 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I suspect that you have duplicate IP addresses, please have a look at my post: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d give ALL your Sonos dedicated IP addresses.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

i try every thing with no help including resetting the entire system to factory default.

i am convinced that the 15.8 version update caused the problem because before the update everything worked great its happened right after the update.

i don’t know what to do else do you have any ideas?

its very frustrating every time i turn my tv i must unplug the power cable from the beam 2 and plug it back again.

also i don’t know if the next update from sonos fix this issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Please don’t ever reset your system, as this removes all diagnostic information!

@orenhazan 
Making the Sonos IP addresses static in the routers DHCP reservation table is a good first step. I would also switch off CEC on any ‘other’ devices connected to the TV over HDMI - as one of them maybe taking focus away from the TV’s HDMI-ARC/eARC port - one way to ‘perhaps’ see if that might be the case, is to connect the Beam to the TV Optical Port temporarily instead (using the adapter supplied) and see if it resolves the issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

i make the sonos ip address static

i switch off CEC on the apple tv. is the only device that connected to HDMI.

if i connect the beam by optical cable its work fine. but i lost dolby atmos.

something that sonos made on 15.8 change the behavior of the HDMI output from the beam.

and i noticed another change in the rear speakers. i don’t hear from them speech voice sound at all. before the update to 15.8 i hear from the rear speaker speech voice although not strong. all other sounds are present.

it turns out that this 15.8 update its not a small update.

something that sonos made on 15.8 change the behavior of the HDMI output from the beam.

and i noticed another change in the rear speakers. i don’t hear from them speech voice sound at all. before the update to 15.8 i hear from the rear speaker speech voice although not strong. all other sounds are present.

When disabling CEC on Apple TV you will need to power-cycle that device too - but as a quick test, just uncable it’s HDMi connection and maybe reboot both the TV and Beam too.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

When disabling CEC on Apple TV you will need to power-cycle that device too - but as a quick test, just uncable it’s HDMi connection and maybe reboot both the TV and Beam too.

i tried everything you suggested the problem is still not resolved. i don’t know what else i can do to solve this problem. i am very frustrated that frimware update ruined my whole system.

i don’t understand why sonos don’t gave the option to downgrade frimware if you are having problem with update version.

i tried everything you suggested the problem is still not resolved. i don’t know what else i can do to solve this problem. i am very frustrated that frimware update ruined my whole system.

i don’t understand why sonos don’t gave the option to downgrade frimware if you are having problem with update version.

I don’t personally understand why your HT setup is having the issue, no-one else seems to to have reported the issue, so far …and by all accounts the update was for the following…

In this update:

• Sonos Voice Control now supports additional requests in French. These include setting timers and sleep timers, playing Sonos Playlists, skipping forward and back by specific time intervals, and asking for a station or playlist based on the artist that’s currently playing. These requests are also supported by Sonos Voice Control in English.

• We’ve adjusted how the Bluetooth Always Auto-connect setting works in order to prevent unexpected reconnections during a power or network outage. These changes affect Move 2, Era products, and Roam products.

When this setting is enabled:

• Era products will now only reconnect to a previous Bluetooth device when they are manually switched to Bluetooth mode.
    • Move 2, Roam, and Roam SL will no longer reconnect to a previous Bluetooth device when they automatically turn on after being plugged in to power or placed on a charging cradle. They will now only reconnect when manually powered on or awakened with the playback controls.

• Bug fixes and performance enhancements.

I would have expected more similar complaints, even at this early stage - it ‘might’ just be something else perhaps in your case and it just coincided with the update, but you are probably best to go back to Sonos Support with a diagnostic report and see if they can help with where the problem may lie.

Theres nothing mentioned that’s obvious with the Sonos update that would likely affect your current setup. 

I do know that Samsung also released a firmware update recently that was causing some issues for their TV’s and some users were being advised to get in touch with Samsung - so maybe give Samsung Support a call too, as it could very well be an issue with their firmware update perhaps?

@orenhazan,

Also see these links (just a couple of examples)…

I have the same problem. Sonos Beam 2 and a samsung tv. Keeps disconnecting over the last 2/3 days. I’d guess something introduced with the firmware update

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I have the same problem. Sonos Beam 2 and a samsung tv. Keeps disconnecting over the last 2/3 days. I’d guess something introduced with the firmware update

thank you very much for your update i was sure it was the 15.8 update.

do you notice a change in sound as well?

do you have a rear speakers?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

another problem that i see only now after the update to 15.8. the Samsung TV pass through greyed out and only auto and pcm can selected.

before the update i can select pass through.

i hope that sonos working on update.

another problem that i see only now after the update to 15.8. the Samsung TV pass through greyed out and only auto and pcm can selected.

before the update i can select pass through.

i hope that sonos working on update.

The Sonos software update is not going to be able to change that TV setting, are you sure your TV has not been updated recently, as only Samsung can change that setting?

I would still give Samsung Support a quick call just to see, as it might perhaps prove helpful, moreso than waiting for the next Sonos update, which may, or may not, fix things for you.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

if i connect another sound bar not sonos to eARC every thing work fine its connect without a problem and i can change to pass true.

i don’t understand why every time someone complains about a problem after update its always everyone’s else fault and not the sonos frimware update.

all of my problem start a minute after the 15.8 update if i stay on 15.7 every thing continue to be excellent like always.

if it continues to stay like this i will consider to sell my system because it doesn’t make sense every time i turn my tv  i have to unplug the power cable and plug it back for the beam 2 to connect to the tv.

Probably because 99% of the time, it’s not the firmware update, but instead a local issue. There have been a very few times where it’s been the firmware update, resulting in thousands of posts in a thread within hours. So far, there’s been no evidence of that. It’s certainly working fine locally here, which leads to the conclusion it’s not a generic firmware update. So we, as a community, play the numbers. 

if i connect another sound bar not sonos to eARC every thing work fine its connect without a problem and i can change to pass true.

i don’t understand why every time someone complains about a problem after update its always everyone’s else fault and not the sonos frimware update.

all of my problem start a minute after the 15.8 update if i stay on 15.7 every thing continue to be excellent like always.

if it continues to stay like this i will consider to sell my system because it doesn’t make sense every time i turn my tv  i have to unplug the power cable and plug it back for the beam 2 to connect to the tv.

I can only add that I’m using the Sonos update 15.8.1 and my make/model of TV has pass-through enabled (see attached) - all I was suggesting really, is to speak to Samsung Support anyway, rather than just sitting in hope that it might be a Sonos issue and fixable with an update. Even if that’s true, you lose nothing by checking with Samsung Support. I’m sorry you felt the need to snap back at my suggestion. I was just trying to assist. It’s much better than not contacting Samsung, particularly as other Samsung users, in very recent times, have reported problems with their TV firmware updates.

i have samsung tv that connected to beam 2 by HDMI to Earc until yesterday every thing work fine.

after the update to 15.8 the beam refuses to connect to the tv. i talk with the support and we tried everything. the only way to get the beam to connect is unplug the power cable and plug it back every time i turn my tv this is the only way. since yesterday that what i do every time i turn my tv.

its a nightmare sonos have to fix this issue.

Interesting, TV option stopped for me today, I think with the 15.8.1 release? It was fine before that.

Interesting, TV option stopped for me today, I think with the 15.8.1 release? It was fine before that.

Just curious but what hardware are you using, TV make/model etc? Have you also lost the audio pass-through option, or not? Have you spoken to Sonos Support about the issue?

I also have exactly the same issue. Everything worked for 10 months now, after the update I need to unplug everything from power for the beam to work. And no, why I need to disable CEC on Nvidia shield while it was fine until now? My tv is Samsung qn90b. There is any official answer on this?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I also have exactly the same issue. Everything worked for 10 months now, after the update I need to unplug everything from power for the beam to work. And no, why I need to disable CEC on Nvidia shield while it was fine until now? My tv is Samsung qn90b. There is any official answer on this?

until now i tried everything nothing helpful i spoke with sonos and with samsung with no help its definitely the 15.8 frimwhere update.

i hope that sonos Acknowledge the problem and  issue a software update.

i hear more and more costumer that report the same problem.

i think that issue is only in samsung tv.

That makes it sound like a bad CEC update by Samsung to the CEC computer in their TV sets. Not a Sonos problem, Sonos just is a recipient of the issue. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

That makes it sound like a bad CEC update by Samsung to the CEC computer in their TV sets. Not a Sonos problem, Sonos just is a recipient of the issue. 

but before the 15.8 update i don't have any issue and everything works great.

more of that i took a beam 2 from a friend with 15.7 frimware and connected it to my tv and everything worked perfectly And I can choose pass through option.

he also have a samsung tv And I warned him not to update the software.

Again, a Samsung. It’s possible they updated their CEC software at or near the same time.

Sonos doesn’t treat different TVs in a different manner, they take a signal and process that signal, without respect to what device is creating that signal. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Again, a Samsung. It’s possible they updated their CEC software at or near the same time.

Sonos doesn’t treat different TVs in a different manner, they take a signal and process that signal, without respect to what device is creating that signal. 

i don’t update my tv so this is not the case i also not connect my tv to the internet.

i have a apple tv with all the app i need.

if you say that is not sonos 15.8 frimware why before the update everything work fine and i don’t update my tv so nothing change in the tv software the only thing that change is sonos 15.8 frimware.

sonos can release software update that fix that issue but i know that the don’t do it and blame the tv manufacturer.