15.8 update is a nightmare

• 21 September 2023
  • 147 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

147 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

That makes it sound like a bad CEC update by Samsung to the CEC computer in their TV sets. Not a Sonos problem, Sonos just is a recipient of the issue. 

but before the 15.8 update i don't have any issue and everything works great.

more of that i took a beam 2 from a friend with 15.7 frimware and connected it to my tv and everything worked perfectly And I can choose pass through option.

he also have a samsung tv And I warned him not to update the software.

Was this solved for anyone? Support reassured me they are looking into it but nearly 10 days have passed and the same thing keeps on happening for me until i remove the power cables for all the devices...

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

my beam gen2 have exact same problem pairing with my new s90c since day 1 (1.5 week ago).
It was flawless with my previous tv LG CX.

my friends have the s95c and the beam 2 and don’t have the connect issue. i think it’s because the one connect box that works differently.

because of that i ask about the s95c.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Was this solved for anyone? Support reassured me they are looking into it but nearly 10 days have passed and the same thing keeps on happening for me until i remove the power cables for all the devices...

nothing helped me i tried everything with sonos support and samsung support. the 15.8 update change the behavior of the HDMI in my beam 2 even if sonos claim that the not change nothing. the only thing for me is to wait to 15.9 update hopefully it will work out.

what i do now every time that i turn on my tv i unplug the power cable of the beam and plug it back this is the only way to connect it to the eARC of the tv.

this is the only way it works for me also… So no real solution yet.

Again, a Samsung. It’s possible they updated their CEC software at or near the same time.

Sonos doesn’t treat different TVs in a different manner, they take a signal and process that signal, without respect to what device is creating that signal. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

this is the only way it works for me also… So no real solution yet.

you also have a samsung tv?

and also its happened to you after the 15.8 update?

my beam gen2 have exact same problem pairing with my new s90c since day 1 (1.5 week ago).
It was flawless with my previous tv LG CX.

my friends have the s95c and the beam 2 and don’t have the connect issue. i think it’s because the one connect box that works differently.

because of that i ask about the s95c.

Sounds plausible.
When will sonos (or samsung) fix the issue? Starting to get annoyed by this bug.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Again, a Samsung. It’s possible they updated their CEC software at or near the same time.

Sonos doesn’t treat different TVs in a different manner, they take a signal and process that signal, without respect to what device is creating that signal. 

i don’t update my tv so this is not the case i also not connect my tv to the internet.

i have a apple tv with all the app i need.

if you say that is not sonos 15.8 frimware why before the update everything work fine and i don’t update my tv so nothing change in the tv software the only thing that change is sonos 15.8 frimware.

sonos can release software update that fix that issue but i know that the don’t do it and blame the tv manufacturer.

I suggest that you disconnect all HDMI cables, reboot the SONOS soundbar, and remove power from the SAMSUNG TV for at least two minutes. Now connect the soundbar HDMI to the TV and setup TV audio. You can test with a TV App. Finally, connect the source device that you normally use for TV viewing. It is possible that this is a CEC spat between devices and it will be difficult to get anyone to admit fault. These are not issues unique to SONOS and SAMSUNG. I once encountered a SAMSUNG TV remote that would turn ON a SONY TV in another room. Many of these issues can be resolved by installing a CEC blocker. This solved my SAMSUNG-SONY issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

UPDATE: sonos frimware 15.10 did not fix the issue is still the same as before.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

i don’t update my tv so this is not the case i also not connect my tv to the internet.

i have a apple tv with all the app i need.

if you say that is not sonos 15.8 frimware why before the update everything work fine and i don’t update my tv so nothing change in the tv software the only thing that change is sonos 15.8 frimware.

sonos can release software update that fix that issue but i know that the don’t do it and blame the tv manufacturer.

I don’t personally think posting here in the Sonos community is likely going to resolve your issue @orenhazan - you are certainly best to go back to Sonos Customer Support and keep trying that route, we’re just Sonos users, like yourself …and if it is an issue with the recent software update, then only Sonos engineers might be able to fix these things for you… if it isn’t a Sonos software issue, then you will just need to look elsewhere to resolve your issue. It might even be a coincidental unidentified hardware issue, but you first need to see what Sonos may have have to say about the matter. I would discuss the issue further with the Support Staff.

Thank you very much for your help.

maybe something went wrong while updating the software

Meanwhile FWIW, I’ve seen two workarounds mentioned, switch off eARC on the TV, or use the Sonos optical adapter and connect the Sonos Soundbar to the TV’s optical port.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

i have samsung tv that connected to beam 2 by HDMI to Earc until yesterday every thing work fine.

after the update to 15.8 the beam refuses to connect to the tv. i talk with the support and we tried everything. the only way to get the beam to connect is unplug the power cable and plug it back every time i turn my tv this is the only way. since yesterday that what i do every time i turn my tv.

its a nightmare sonos have to fix this issue.

Interesting, TV option stopped for me today, I think with the 15.8.1 release? It was fine before that.

Turns out mine was cockpit error, my HDMI/Arc cable came loose. All is OK now with 15.8.1.

i am glad that your problem is solved. i try also to change HDMI cable but for me its not solved the problem.

Badge

Just contacted Sonos support again myself to follow up on this and got an unhelpful robot…...for want of a better phrase. They refused to acknowledge the issue, tried to take me through all the step by step troubleshooting yet again. Couldn’t tell me whether it was actually being investigated either.

Becoming so dillusioned with Sonos now. Used to think it was a good quality brand but the complete lack of action or even public acknowledgement of the issue is really disappointing, if no fix in the next month or so I’ll have no choice but to contact the retailer to arrange a return. I didn’t spend hundreds of pounds on a sound bar and surrounds to have to unplug it multiple times a day to get it to work…….terrible customer service.

Just contacted Sonos support again myself to follow up on this and got an unhelpful robot…...for want of a better phrase. They refused to acknowledge the issue, tried to take me through all the step by step troubleshooting yet again. Couldn’t tell me whether it was actually being investigated either.

Becoming so dillusioned with Sonos now. Used to think it was a good quality brand but the complete lack of action or even public acknowledgement of the issue is really disappointing, if no fix in the next month or so I’ll have no choice but to contact the retailer to arrange a return. I didn’t spend hundreds of pounds on a sound bar and surrounds to have to unplug it multiple times a day to get it to work…….terrible customer service.

Did you try the workaround mentioned to save you having to unplug the Soundbar until Samsung/Sonos fix the issue? Also, instead of chatting to a Bot have you actually phoned Sonos Support to speak directly to their Staff?

Here are their contact numbers -

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/contact-global

Badge

Did you try the workaround mentioned to save you having to unplug the Soundbar until Samsung/Sonos fix the issue? Also, instead of chatting to a Bot have you actually phoned Sonos Support to speak directly to their Staff?

Here are their contact numbers -

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/contact-global

Yes I’ve spoken to them on the phone and via chat (not bot chat)…...and I’ve tried multiple work arounds, the only viable one is a smart plug I refuse to connect it via optical as that disables most of the feature and introduces lip sync issues.

Ultimately though I shouldn’t have to keep contacting or try work arounds….it should just work and if they’ve broken something, roll it back.

Bonjour à tous,

j'ai enfin réussi à résoudre mon problème après 2 appels à Sonos et 1 appel à Samsung

Avec Sonos nous avons retiré tous ce qui étaient branchés à la TV sauf la Beam

Puis j'ai également retiré les mises à jours automatiques (sur l'iphone) Sonos

Puis j'ai appelé Samsung et on a fait un reset d'Usine - attention pas celui que vous pouvez faire seul - celui fait par le technicien Samsung 

Et Depuis je ne perds plus la connexion E arc toutes les nuits 

Par ailleurs il faut noter que ma tv est passée sous une version 1602 entre temps !

Bref vous l'aurez compris je ne sais pas si c'est l'arrêt de la mise à jour ou le reset de la tv qui a résolu le pb.

Bon courage à tous

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I suggest that you disconnect all HDMI cables, reboot the SONOS soundbar, and remove power from the SAMSUNG TV for at least two minutes. Now connect the soundbar HDMI to the TV and setup TV audio. You can test with a TV App. Finally, connect the source device that you normally use for TV viewing. It is possible that this is a CEC spat between devices and it will be difficult to get anyone to admit fault. These are not issues unique to SONOS and SAMSUNG. I once encountered a SAMSUNG TV remote that would turn ON a SONY TV in another room. Many of these issues can be resolved by installing a CEC blocker. This solved my SAMSUNG-SONY issue.

the CEC blocker you put on the beam HDMI?

i order one from amazon.

thank you.

i order one from amazon.

thank you.

No, that’s for any connected peripherals, like Apple TV in particular, as other devices can sometimes steal CEC focus. Sonos uses CEC to control volume when using the TV remote and for powering off/on the TV etc. I thought you already tried this by leaving your peripheral(s) disconnected, which achieves the same outcome.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

i order one from amazon.

thank you.

No, that’s for any connected peripherals, like Apple TV in particular, as other devices can sometimes steal CEC focus. Sonos uses CEC to control volume when using the TV remote and for powering off/on the TV etc. I thought you already tried this by leaving your peripheral(s) disconnected, which achieves the same outcome.

i cancel the CEC on the apple tv and it didn’t help to solve the problem.

so how the CEC blocker can help me?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

15.9 frimware didn’t fix the 15.8 beam 2 connect issue. let’s hope that in the next update version it will happen.

Perhaps also keep an eye out for Samsung firmware updates too, just in case the fix is perhaps due to come from their side of things here.

i talk also with samsung and they investigate this issue and tell me that sonos make a change to the HDMI behavior from 15.8 frimware that effect samsung tv and the fix for that have to come from sonos.

and to strengthen this issue i take today from my friend a beam 2 with 15.7 frimware and connect it to my samsung tv. everything work fine and the beam 2 connect to the tv every time i turn on the tv without any problem.

i order one from amazon.

thank you.

i cancel the CEC on the apple tv and it didn’t help to solve the problem.

so how the CEC blocker can help me?

The issue with CEC on Apple TV is it is rather persistent, even after switching off CEC in the tvOS Settings - that’s why I suggested temporarily removing its connection from the TV in my earlier post and powering down both your TV/Sonos HT products too, just to ensure that it was not stealing CEC focus away from your Beam.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Meanwhile FWIW, I’ve seen two workarounds mentioned, switch off eARC on the TV, or use the Sonos optical adapter and connect the Sonos Soundbar to the TV’s optical port.

if you switch off eARC on the tv You give up Dolby Atmos and it's a High price for me.

the same price with optical adapter.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

i also talk today with sonos and they told me the same thing. they are working on a solution to the problem and the cause of that issue is 15.8 frimware.