15.8 update is a nightmare

• 21 September 2023
  • 147 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

147 replies

i talk also today again with the technical department of samsung i sent them an email and they got back to me.

they told me that the problem is with Knox security protcol that all the samsung tv from 2018 have. and the change that sonos made from 15.8 in some of their speakers affect the connection when turning on the tv.

sonos have to fix that issue.

i working on a temporary solution with a friend to disable the Knox security in the service menu of the tv. i hope that we will succeed to do that.

I always thought that was the security platform for their mobile devices🤔… a list of Samsung products that use knox are shown here:

https://www.samsungknox.com/en/knox-platform/supported-devices

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I have exact the same issue as that of orenhazan. I have Samsung S95B and Sonos beam(gen2). The Sonos firmware update 15.10 didn’t fix the problem.

See this link and perhaps follow the Staff advice:

this is not the same issue that we have.

I have exact the same issue as that of orenhazan. I have Samsung S95B and Sonos beam(gen2). The Sonos firmware update 15.10 didn’t fix the problem.

See this link and perhaps follow the Staff advice:

this is not the same issue that we have.

I don’t understand, why was that post then from @Corry P put in this thread, I thought it was referring to this/your reported issue? I read that Staff post as Sonos needed to gather more data about the specific models of Samsung TV that were affected and then were going to gather data from the users diagnostic reports and fix the issue (presumably in conjunction with Samsung), Am I misreading his post here then?

It was your post (@orenhazan) that opened this thread.

There’s several threads about how to turn off some RS232(?) setting to get Sony’s to work properly and not disconnect. 
We appear to be waiting on Samsung to update the firmware on some of their TVs. I don’t have one, but you may want to try turning off eARC and leaving ARC on. 

Ah, that’s the link, thanks @Ken_Griffiths …

Same here! I’ve been having this issue for 3 months now. Did everything and nothing fixed this issue. Sonos works for like 3 days then disconnects and the S95B does not detect it, so I have to power off the Sonos then back on to make it work again. 

No. It is not possible to go back to an older version of the software, currently. This type of thing has been requested for years, and has never been implemented, I’d think Sonos will never do so. 

When disabling CEC on Apple TV you will need to power-cycle that device too - but as a quick test, just uncable it’s HDMi connection and maybe reboot both the TV and Beam too.

i tried everything you suggested the problem is still not resolved. i don’t know what else i can do to solve this problem. i am very frustrated that frimware update ruined my whole system.

i don’t understand why sonos don’t gave the option to downgrade frimware if you are having problem with update version.

I don’t personally understand why your HT setup is having the issue, no-one else seems to to have reported the issue, so far …and by all accounts the update was for the following…

In this update:

• Sonos Voice Control now supports additional requests in French. These include setting timers and sleep timers, playing Sonos Playlists, skipping forward and back by specific time intervals, and asking for a station or playlist based on the artist that’s currently playing. These requests are also supported by Sonos Voice Control in English.

• We’ve adjusted how the Bluetooth Always Auto-connect setting works in order to prevent unexpected reconnections during a power or network outage. These changes affect Move 2, Era products, and Roam products.

When this setting is enabled:

• Era products will now only reconnect to a previous Bluetooth device when they are manually switched to Bluetooth mode.
    • Move 2, Roam, and Roam SL will no longer reconnect to a previous Bluetooth device when they automatically turn on after being plugged in to power or placed on a charging cradle. They will now only reconnect when manually powered on or awakened with the playback controls.

• Bug fixes and performance enhancements.

I would have expected more similar complaints, even at this early stage - it ‘might’ just be something else perhaps in your case and it just coincided with the update, but you are probably best to go back to Sonos Support with a diagnostic report and see if they can help with where the problem may lie.

Theres nothing mentioned that’s obvious with the Sonos update that would likely affect your current setup. 

I do know that Samsung also released a firmware update recently that was causing some issues for their TV’s and some users were being advised to get in touch with Samsung - so maybe give Samsung Support a call too, as it could very well be an issue with their firmware update perhaps?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @orenhazan et al

My information is that this issue (or one very like it) was resolved on the 24th of October - as most of you have posted after this date, I recommend that you all check for updates on your TVs and Sonos app. If everything is up to date and you still have this issue, I’d encourage you to get in touch with our technical support team to report as much.

I hope this helps.

15.9 frimware didn’t fix the 15.8 beam 2 connect issue. let’s hope that in the next update version it will happen.

Perhaps also keep an eye out for Samsung firmware updates too, just in case the fix is perhaps due to come from their side of things here.

another problem that i see only now after the update to 15.8. the Samsung TV pass through greyed out and only auto and pcm can selected.

before the update i can select pass through.

i hope that sonos working on update.

The Sonos software update is not going to be able to change that TV setting, are you sure your TV has not been updated recently, as only Samsung can change that setting?

I would still give Samsung Support a quick call just to see, as it might perhaps prove helpful, moreso than waiting for the next Sonos update, which may, or may not, fix things for you.

Bonjour 

ma télé : Samsung QE55Q83 avec une version à jour 1520

Sonos en version 15.9

cela ne fonctionne toujours pas

je ne vois pas comment Sonos aurait résolu le problème sans changer de version ! 

je vais les appeler afin d’avoir un ticket d’incident 

Mais quand on paie des centaines d’Euro et devoir débrancher son enceinte tous les jours je ne comprends pas que Sonos ne soit pas en mesure de traiter le pb plus rapidement 

je reviendrai avec les résultats de mon appel

Nope, definitely not fixed. Problem still persists......

Note that the Staff here suggest that If everything is up-to-date and you still have this issue, then to get in touch with their technical support team to report it - Maybe reproduce the disconnection issue and submit a diagnostic report etc. then get in touch with them via the link.

Hope you get it sorted.👍

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

if i connect another sound bar not sonos to eARC every thing work fine its connect without a problem and i can change to pass true.

i don’t understand why every time someone complains about a problem after update its always everyone’s else fault and not the sonos frimware update.

all of my problem start a minute after the 15.8 update if i stay on 15.7 every thing continue to be excellent like always.

if it continues to stay like this i will consider to sell my system because it doesn’t make sense every time i turn my tv  i have to unplug the power cable and plug it back for the beam 2 to connect to the tv.

Probably because 99% of the time, it’s not the firmware update, but instead a local issue. There have been a very few times where it’s been the firmware update, resulting in thousands of posts in a thread within hours. So far, there’s been no evidence of that. It’s certainly working fine locally here, which leads to the conclusion it’s not a generic firmware update. So we, as a community, play the numbers. 

if i connect another sound bar not sonos to eARC every thing work fine its connect without a problem and i can change to pass true.

i don’t understand why every time someone complains about a problem after update its always everyone’s else fault and not the sonos frimware update.

all of my problem start a minute after the 15.8 update if i stay on 15.7 every thing continue to be excellent like always.

if it continues to stay like this i will consider to sell my system because it doesn’t make sense every time i turn my tv  i have to unplug the power cable and plug it back for the beam 2 to connect to the tv.

I can only add that I’m using the Sonos update 15.8.1 and my make/model of TV has pass-through enabled (see attached) - all I was suggesting really, is to speak to Samsung Support anyway, rather than just sitting in hope that it might be a Sonos issue and fixable with an update. Even if that’s true, you lose nothing by checking with Samsung Support. I’m sorry you felt the need to snap back at my suggestion. I was just trying to assist. It’s much better than not contacting Samsung, particularly as other Samsung users, in very recent times, have reported problems with their TV firmware updates.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

the 1602 samsung frimware works better but not perfect and sometimes there is still a connection problem. but much better than before the update.

the beam connect problem happen every 4 or 5 time that i turn my tv on and not every time i turn my tv on. so there is some improvement.

the next fix i hope come from sonos and everythings will be perfect.

@DIZZYDJC,

It appears a number of users in the community have been informed by Sonos Support Staff that the matter was being looked into, so I’m guessing that’s the case - it perhaps a case that once it’s fixed, the engineers will go onto test that the fix works in conjunction with Samsung etc. meanwhile you could as a temporary measure use the Optical to HDMI adapter that came with your Beam - you will lose Atmos audio but still receive 5.1 surround sound - but that’s perhaps better than power-cycling your devices, plus it’s only temporary until an update is released to hopefully fix the issue. I would also keep an eye out for Samsung updates too, just in case they change anything at their end to accommodate.

Hope it gets sorted for you soon. 👍

@DIZZYDJC,

It appears a number of users in the community have been informed by Sonos Support Staff that the matter was being looked into, so I’m guessing that’s the case - it perhaps a case that once it’s fixed, the engineers will go onto test that the fix works in conjunction with Samsung etc. meanwhile you could as a temporary measure use the Optical to HDMI adapter that came with your Beam - you will lose Atmos audio but still receive 5.1 surround sound - but that’s perhaps better than power-cycling your devices, plus it’s only temporary until an update is released to hopefully fix the issue. I would also keep an eye out for Samsung updates too, just in case they change anything at their end to accommodate.

Hope it gets sorted for you soon. 👍

Would be the answer but I didn’t keep my optical adapter lol

Smart Plug idea will work for me for now and hopefully will all get fixed soon too. 

I discovered this thread after my Beam gen 2 would disconnect from my Samsung S95B and only a power cycle on the beam would allow it to reconnect. Each time I turn off the TV, the beam would loose connection via HDMI earc resulting in the TV speaker being active.

This solution won't work for everyone but the problem for me was because I had a network wide adblocker (on my Unifi Router). For some reason, that interfered with the connection. After disabling it, everything is working again.

I’ve found a workaround for myself until Sonos and Samsung fix the issue.

My disconnect of the Sonos Beam Gen2 to my S95 was caused by a CEC issue from other external devices turning on the Samsung via CEC over HDMI. This establishing of the new CEC handshake was breaking the one between Sonos and S95.

I have an AppleTv connected to the S95 via HDMI and using CEC. Using the Apple TV remote to turn on the Samsung TV and wake the AppleTv after being in standby was causing the S95 and Sonos to lose its CEC map, hence defaulting to TV speaker.

To resolve this issue. I’ve set my external devices (appletv) to never go to sleep, and I only use the Samsung remote to switch the S95 on and off. I can still use the AppleTv Remote to change the Sonos volume.

Because the CEC connection for external devices always stays alive due to those devices not going to sleep, and because I am not switching on the tv via CEC no more CEC handshake drops for the Sonos.

I also have exactly the same issue. Everything worked for 10 months now, after the update I need to unplug everything from power for the beam to work. And no, why I need to disable CEC on Nvidia shield while it was fine until now? My tv is Samsung qn90b. There is any official answer on this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I suspect that you have duplicate IP addresses, please have a look at my post: 

That makes it sound like a bad CEC update by Samsung to the CEC computer in their TV sets. Not a Sonos problem, Sonos just is a recipient of the issue. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I discovered this thread after my Beam gen 2 would disconnect from my Samsung S95B and only a power cycle on the beam would allow it to reconnect. Each time I turn off the TV, the beam would loose connection via HDMI earc resulting in the TV speaker being active.

This solution won't work for everyone but the problem for me was because I had a network wide adblocker (on my Unifi Router). For some reason, that interfered with the connection. After disabling it, everything is working again.

i don’t think it’s related to the issue but i am glad that it help you.

i try to connecnt anoter beam 2 with 15.7 frimware to the same network and the same router and the same tv and the beam connect to tv every time i turn on the tv.

when i replace my beam that have the 15.8 frimware the beam not connect to the tv when i turn the tv on until i power cycle the beam.

also after i spoke a lot of time with sonos technical department they admitted that it’s a frimware issue and they working on a fix.

i replace my tv to the samsung S95C 77 and everything works as it should.