15.8 update is a nightmare

• 21 September 2023
  • 147 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

147 replies

So I just got a samsung s95c and sonos beam gen 2 - should i avoid any firmware update on both devices? Is that even possible? Not sure if its going to force updates

Same issue with me guys. Every time I turn on the TV, I find out that the Sonos beam 2 got disconnected from my Samsung TV S95b. Same thing, I have to unplug the Sonos beam from power, then plug back in to make it work. Very frustrating! I hope Sonos solves this on their next update. 

correct. Samsung QN90B is the model i have. There was samsung’s 1520.7 August firmware update also, but is was on auto update so i am not sure when exactly the TV was updated. So i don’t know if it was samsung’s or sonos fault.

In the end, i have 2 pieces of tech i paid a lot for (for my budget at least) that do not work together… Pretty disappointed actually. I will probably chose Sony/Bose/Other alternatives next time for sure. Reading the support forums of both brands (samsung/sonos) was very enlightening, seeing the myriad of issues they have with firmwares/hardware.

This really sounds like a local issue, not one that is endemic across the board. Have you tried to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

UPDATE: sonos frimware 15.10 did not fix the issue is still the same as before.

Meanwhile FWIW, I’ve seen two workarounds mentioned, switch off eARC on the TV, or use the Sonos optical adapter and connect the Sonos Soundbar to the TV’s optical port.

if you switch off eARC on the tv You give up Dolby Atmos and it's a High price for me.

the same price with optical adapter.

Do you use any external media devices? If not, you should be able to disable eARC without losing Dolby Atmos audio from the TV’s native apps.

i use apple tv so i have  to leave eARC on.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

correct. Samsung QN90B is the model i have. There was samsung’s 1520.7 August firmware update also, but is was on auto update so i am not sure when exactly the TV was updated. So i don’t know if it was samsung’s or sonos fault.

In the end, i have 2 pieces of tech i paid a lot for (for my budget at least) that do not work together… Pretty disappointed actually. I will probably chose Sony/Bose/Other alternatives next time for sure. Reading the support forums of both brands (samsung/sonos) was very enlightening, seeing the myriad of issues they have with firmwares/hardware.

for me before the update to 15.8 i had no problems at all. every time i turn my tv the beam 2 immediately connected. a minute after the update the problem happened.

i update my beam many times with no issue at all. now the 15.8 came and ruined everything for me.

if i had know i would stay on 15.7 frimware for ever.

@orenhazan,
Yes, as @GuitarSuperstar mentions, you should still get DD+ Atmos from each of the streaming services like Netflix, Prime Movies, Disney+ etc. with the TV eARC disabled and just use the port as HDMI-ARC - you will only be missing out on Dolby TrueHD (with/without, Atmos) and McPCM formats - it’s a small price to pay until the issue is fixed… by either Sonos, Samsung (or both).

I still personally think it’s a Samsung issue, as their September firmware update caused issues with their own soundbars too. See this link:

https://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-soundbars-are-having-issues-but-the-latest-firmware-update-should-fix-them

A number of other threads reported the problem and people were told to get in touch with Samsung. I would certainly give them a call and see what they say about it.

Do you use any external media devices? If not, you should be able to disable eARC without losing Dolby Atmos audio from the TV’s native apps.

i use apple tv so i have  to leave eARC on.

Just use the TV’s native App’s - and you’ll be able to get Atmos.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I still personally think it’s a Samsung issue, as their September firmware update caused issues with their own soundbars too. See this link:

https://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-soundbars-are-having-issues-but-the-latest-firmware-update-should-fix-them

A number of other threads reported the problem and people were told to get in touch with Samsung. I would certainly give them a call and see what they say about it.

thank you please update after you talk with samsung.

i don’t update my tv so its not that.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

can someone update if the 15.11 frimware fix the issue?

i don’t have the S95B anymore so i can’t check.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

its not a samsung  issue its sonos 15.8 frimware issue thank you for your help.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

i talk also today again with the technical department of samsung i sent them an email and they got back to me.

they told me that the problem is with Knox security protcol that all the samsung tv from 2018 have. and the change that sonos made from 15.8 in some of their speakers affect the connection when turning on the tv.

sonos have to fix that issue.

i working on a temporary solution with a friend to disable the Knox security in the service menu of the tv. i hope that we will succeed to do that.

Same issue with me guys. Every time I turn on the TV, I find out that the Sonos beam 2 got disconnected from my Samsung TV S95b. Same thing, I have to unplug the Sonos beam from power, then plug back in to make it work. Very frustrating! I hope Sonos solves this on their next update. 

I’ve now only seen this type of issue reported with some Samsung TV’s - I have personally seen LG, Philips, Sony and Sharp TV’s all working okay with the current Sonos build, so it appears mostly Samsung related (just some models, not all) - it maybe the case that Samsung needs to fix something here - so it might be worth speaking to their customer support desk too, as they’ve attempted to fix a few issues with their TV’s and soundbars in recent (September) firmware updates, which (apparently) some Samsung users have been complaining about online.

Nothing has changed since September, is it time to get rid of all sonos products? For the price of sonos products, I expect them to work at 100% and not just walk to the plug and turn on the soundbar all the time. 

Does anyone know whether the problem only occurs with Sonos products or also affects other brands that are connected to Samsung TVs via ARC? Otherwise it is due to the Samsung firmware. Unfortunately I can't check it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

don’t waste the time to talk with samsung support the problem is 15.8 update. sonos working on a fix to this issue and thay admitted that the problem is the 15.8 update.

thay told me that they hope that the issue will slove in 15.9 update.

the issue is only with samsung tv and especially the s95b. i have also this model of tv.

It would make sense (perhaps) if Samsung do use some kind of TV security that sets them apart from other brands of TV. It would explain why most other brands are not affected by the recent updates. Anyhow I’m fairly sure that Sonos/Samsung will resolve the issue at some point, going forward, and hopefully that will hapoen sooner, rather than later, for those customers who have encountered these issues.

edit: Oh and I would personally wait, rather than disable any security settings, as that may invalidate any Samsung warranty/support etc.

Just use the Optical-to-HDMI adapter for the time being - very little is lost between Atmos and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound.

15.9 frimware didn’t fix the 15.8 beam 2 connect issue. let’s hope that in the next update version it will happen.

I installed update almost a week ago and it seems issue is close to resolved in my current TV setup with CEC-Less adapter on a 2nd device.

Only 3 out of approx. 50 times of TV power ups - Beam was not connected, definitely they improved Beam connection. Plus I think it seems they added some kind of watchdog reset with firmware 15.9 as after 1 minute or 2 minutes TV picked up Beam (kind of soft power cycle) when it was initially not connected.

I will remove CEC-Less adapter from my 2nd device connected to S95B TV from today on and I will see if it still works as supposed to on 15.9. I will post my results after few days.

Also I set firmware updates to manual, as in case new firmware breaks something, you can hold off with updating until it is safe to do so. It's bad to pay 2 or 3k for the speakers and struggle to use them and go thru all that hassle. Hopefully things are getting better.

After removing CEC-Less adapter, the issue is still present. Beam 2 is not detected after some time.

When this happens TV won't switch off. It's switching off screen for 0.1 sec and then display is back on.

Power cycle needed to fix. I installed smart plug for now, to do power reset.

update: i found a great solution that work for me every time i turn on my samsung tv.

before i turn the tv on i open the sonos app and move the volume up and down this wakes the beam 2 from a sleep mode and after that i turn on my tv and every time the beam 2 connect to my tv with no problem at all. this is much more convenient solution compared to unplug the power cable and plug it back every time i turn my tv on.

Will try the trick with volume up and down to before switching on the TV.

Anyway this is only workaround, we should not deal with that kind of issues. Sonos please fix this.

It should be allowed also to downgrade firmware to last stable version, but there is no option to do this.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I have exact the same issue as that of orenhazan. I have Samsung S95B and Sonos beam(gen2). The Sonos firmware update 15.10 didn’t fix the problem.

i know that 15.10 didn’t help. all that’s left to do is wait to a fix for this issue from sonos team.

I'm having the same issue with two different TVs. 

Arc + Sub disconnecting from Samsung TV until they are both power cycled. 

Playbar disconnecting from Sony tv until power cycled. 

My Play:1 speakers still working perfectly. 

I'm having the same issue with two different TVs. 

Arc + Sub disconnecting from Samsung TV until they are both power cycled. 

Playbar disconnecting from Sony tv until power cycled. 

My Play:1 speakers still working perfectly. 

The Samsung issue seems to have been reported in this and one or two other threads here in the community, but also with other brands of Soundbar, I see, besides Sonos, hence the various Samsung updates in September and in more recent days.

It’s the first time I’ve seen the issue mentioned in relation to a Sony TV though🤔? Have you checked the "IP Simple control" setting on that TV, as mentioned online and also discussed in this thread below, just in case it’s perhaps that ‘known’ Sony issue instead?

I had the same issue for the past few weeks on my Samsung S95b. Support couldn’t help. I randomly tried clicking on connected devices, then clicking connection guide, then clicking hdmi (eArc). It seemed try recognise the beam from there and I haven’t had the issue since. Unsure if it’ll work for anyone else but it seems to have worked for me. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @orenhazan et al

There was a similar issue recently whereby Beams would have no audio when playing TV audio coming from certain Samsung TVs, which has now been resolved. As your TV and Beam seem to be losing the connection between them, however, this seems like a different issue. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

The issue is happening on other TVs also ( i have neo-qled QN90B).

Its more than 3 weeks that we have an issue that practically makes our system unusable, and yet Sonos has done nothing to fix it. I mean, does the concept of hot-fix eludes them? How is this acceptable?