15.8 update is a nightmare

• 21 September 2023
  • 147 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

i have samsung tv that connected to beam 2 by HDMI to Earc until yesterday every thing work fine.

after the update to 15.8 the beam refuses to connect to the tv. i talk with the support and we tried everything. the only way to get the beam to connect is unplug the power cable and plug it back every time i turn my tv this is the only way. since yesterday that what i do every time i turn my tv.

its a nightmare sonos have to fix this issue.

Corry P 6 months ago

Hi @orenhazan et al

There was a similar issue recently whereby Beams would have no audio when playing TV audio coming from certain Samsung TVs, which has now been resolved. As your TV and Beam seem to be losing the connection between them, however, this seems like a different issue. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

147 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

update: i found a great solution that work for me every time i turn on my samsung tv.

before i turn the tv on i open the sonos app and move the volume up and down this wakes the beam 2 from a sleep mode and after that i turn on my tv and every time the beam 2 connect to my tv with no problem at all. this is much more convenient solution compared to unplug the power cable and plug it back every time i turn my tv on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @orenhazan 

There will never be a fix if people do not get in touch reporting that there is an issue. I believe this issue has been confused with the other one I mentioned, so anything you were previously told probably related to that and not to this. Unless further reports come in, it will be assumed that the fix for the other issue resolved everything.

In case you think posting here is enough, it is not - we need cases that can be referenced, troubleshooting performed, diagnostics taken and likely also records of what TV models and firmware versions are affected, to even begin looking into it. So, please do get in touch. Thank you.

i have samsung tv that connected to beam 2 by HDMI to Earc until yesterday every thing work fine.

after the update to 15.8 the beam refuses to connect to the tv. i talk with the support and we tried everything. the only way to get the beam to connect is unplug the power cable and plug it back every time i turn my tv this is the only way. since yesterday that what i do every time i turn my tv.

its a nightmare sonos have to fix this issue.

Interesting, TV option stopped for me today, I think with the 15.8.1 release? It was fine before that.

Turns out mine was cockpit error, my HDMI/Arc cable came loose. All is OK now with 15.8.1.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Please don’t ever reset your system, as this removes all diagnostic information!

@orenhazan 
Making the Sonos IP addresses static in the routers DHCP reservation table is a good first step. I would also switch off CEC on any ‘other’ devices connected to the TV over HDMI - as one of them maybe taking focus away from the TV’s HDMI-ARC/eARC port - one way to ‘perhaps’ see if that might be the case, is to connect the Beam to the TV Optical Port temporarily instead (using the adapter supplied) and see if it resolves the issue.

Userlevel 7

UPDATE: sonos frimware 15.10 did not fix the issue is still the same as before.

Meanwhile FWIW, I’ve seen two workarounds mentioned, switch off eARC on the TV, or use the Sonos optical adapter and connect the Sonos Soundbar to the TV’s optical port.

if you switch off eARC on the tv You give up Dolby Atmos and it's a High price for me.

the same price with optical adapter.

Do you use any external media devices? If not, you should be able to disable eARC without losing Dolby Atmos audio from the TV’s native apps.

its not a samsung  issue its sonos 15.8 frimware issue thank you for your help.

Once you are convinced it is X, it leaves you stuck if it actually turns out to be Y.  Considering the number of Samsung/Sonos combos in the world, if there was an actual problem with 15.8, this thread would have thousands of posts.  It’s not even two pages.  Which is certainly pointing to something less universal than the latest update. 

Badge

Atmos works fine on ARC, you'll only be losing TrueHD but could always switch it on when/if you need it. Optical is a much bigger compromise, limited to Dolby Digital and no Atmos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Stanley_4 

Good question! Chat is generally best kept for the easy stuff - if there is significant troubleshooting to be performed, an agent on chat may well request that you call by phone instead. I’d always recommend calling, but I can understand why some may prefer chat. With this issue, I think a call would be best.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Same issue here, Samsung S95B, Beam is not detected by TV, even though it outputs sound together with TV at that time. Volume can be change using app only when that happens.

There is extra device connected to TV by CEC-less adapter, bought because of this issue, but it didn't help.

Also issue happens even when only Beam was connected. The only way to recover is to power-cycle Beam and If you have to do it multiple times per day its annoying and it's only temporary work around.

It has been working rather fine for past few months, after last update it broke. Sonos please fix this.

today i talked with sonos support and they told me they were delaying the 15.9 update until they finish to work on solving the issue.

i hope that 15.9 solved this issue and we won’t have to wait to the next update from sonos.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

update: samsung release 1602 frimware for their tv a lot of users with beam 2 and samsung tv say that this frimware fix the issue.

i am also update my samsung s95b to 1602 frimware and from the morning my beam connect to my tv without any issue.

i hope it stays that way.

Same problem, sonos beam gen 2 (sw15. 8) +Samsung TV QN85BA

i don’t update my tv so this is not the case i also not connect my tv to the internet.

i have a apple tv with all the app i need.

if you say that is not sonos 15.8 frimware why before the update everything work fine and i don’t update my tv so nothing change in the tv software the only thing that change is sonos 15.8 frimware.

sonos can release software update that fix that issue but i know that the don’t do it and blame the tv manufacturer.

I don’t personally think posting here in the Sonos community is likely going to resolve your issue @orenhazan - you are certainly best to go back to Sonos Customer Support and keep trying that route, we’re just Sonos users, like yourself …and if it is an issue with the recent software update, then only Sonos engineers might be able to fix these things for you… if it isn’t a Sonos software issue, then you will just need to look elsewhere to resolve your issue. It might even be a coincidental unidentified hardware issue, but you first need to see what Sonos may have have to say about the matter. I would discuss the issue further with the Support Staff.

Did you try the workaround mentioned to save you having to unplug the Soundbar until Samsung/Sonos fix the issue? Also, instead of chatting to a Bot have you actually phoned Sonos Support to speak directly to their Staff?

Here are their contact numbers -

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/contact-global

Yes I’ve spoken to them on the phone and via chat (not bot chat)…...and I’ve tried multiple work arounds, the only viable one is a smart plug I refuse to connect it via optical as that disables most of the feature and introduces lip sync issues.

Ultimately though I shouldn’t have to keep contacting or try work arounds….it should just work and if they’ve broken something, roll it back.

You only have to look online to see all the issues with Samsung TV’s and Soundbars from "different" manufacturers to see that some of their TV models have had lots of issues and it seems every other brand of TV is not having these issues with Sonos  - so I’m still not ruling out that it might be a Samsung update that’s needed here and Sonos maybe adapting to cater for their hardware issues.

Anyhow there’s little doubt it should be fixed at some point, but a roll-back of firmware is not the answer here, as every other make/model of TV needs to be considered. I’m somewhat surprised though that switching off eARC on the TV and rebooting all did not work for you.🤔 Maybe try another heac 1.4+ compatible cable and see if that makes a difference.

If you can’t wait for the fix though, then you’ll just have to return your device to the retailer. Personally speaking I would not keep ‘regularly’ power-cycling the devices, if you can possibly avoid that, as that may (perhaps) do more harm, than good.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d give ALL your Sonos dedicated IP addresses.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

i try every thing with no help including resetting the entire system to factory default.

i am convinced that the 15.8 version update caused the problem because before the update everything worked great its happened right after the update.

i don’t know what to do else do you have any ideas?

its very frustrating every time i turn my tv i must unplug the power cable from the beam 2 and plug it back again.

also i don’t know if the next update from sonos fix this issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

the CEC blocker you put on the beam HDMI?

i order one from amazon.

thank you.

No, that’s for any connected peripherals, like Apple TV in particular, as other devices can sometimes steal CEC focus. Sonos uses CEC to control volume when using the TV remote and for powering off/on the TV etc. I thought you already tried this by leaving your peripheral(s) disconnected, which achieves the same outcome.

i cancel the CEC on the apple tv and it didn’t help to solve the problem.

so how the CEC blocker can help me?

The issue with CEC on Apple TV is it is rather persistent, even after switching off CEC in the tvOS Settings - that’s why I suggested temporarily removing its connection from the TV in my earlier post and powering down both your TV/Sonos HT products too, just to ensure that it was not stealing CEC focus away from your Beam.

thank you i check it.

thank you very much for this update its the first time that i hear that sonos recognize the problem. i said from the beginning that the 15.8 frimware is cause that.

Be careful taking an anonymous post on a forum as an official company statement.  They could have misunderstood, they could be making it up to stir up dirt, or they could be an irate customer that a frustrated support person tried to pacify, all of which have happened before.  

I have exact the same issue as that of orenhazan. I have Samsung S95B and Sonos beam(gen2). The Sonos firmware update 15.10 didn’t fix the problem.

I have exact the same issue as that of orenhazan. I have Samsung S95B and Sonos beam(gen2). The Sonos firmware update 15.10 didn’t fix the problem.

See this link and perhaps follow the Staff advice:

So I just got a samsung s95c and sonos beam gen 2 - should i avoid any firmware update on both devices? Is that even possible? Not sure if its going to force updates

No it’s not possible. It forces the update during setup. I suggest you try it with HDMI-ARC enabled, but only if you initially encounter issues with eARC enabled on the TV.

thank you please update after you talk with samsung.

i don’t update my tv so its not that.

If your Samsung TV is not currently running the latest firmware, then it might be that, as that same Samsung article mentions that Samsungs earlier firmware versions were having some issues too and that the September update was designed to fix those issues, albeit some Samsung users seem to say the fix just didn’t work for them.

Its no good me speaking to Samsung, as I have got rid of my Samsung TV in our bedroom and swapped it for a Sharp TV - it’s not that much better, as far as televisions are concerned, but at least there are no issues with CEC and the Beam/Surrounds/Sub attached to it… just wish we had gone with LG now, which the Wife and I  use with a Sonos Arc in the Lounge - that TV has been excellent, but the Sharp TV was heavily discounted and a bargain. It’s good enough fir a bedroom, but just a little limited in their App Store. I’ve added a Nvidia Shield to resolve that, which I really like.

Heres hoping the Samsung update will resolve your issue.🤞If not, then you might be best to call Samsung, as they seem to be aware of their own recent TV issues with connected Soundbars. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

So I just got a samsung s95c and sonos beam gen 2 - should i avoid any firmware update on both devices? Is that even possible? Not sure if its going to force updates

i don't think that you have a issue with the S95C all the issues is with the samsung 2022 line not the new C line.

Badge

Doesn't appear to have, sadly my TV was back on TV speaker this morning. My opinion of Sonos is rapidly falling through the floor......

i don't think that you have a issue with the S95C all the issues is with the samsung 2022 line not the new C line.

Oh, really? Fingers crossed, i’ll report back once I finish the setup