15.8 update is a nightmare

• 21 September 2023
  • 147 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

i have samsung tv that connected to beam 2 by HDMI to Earc until yesterday every thing work fine.

after the update to 15.8 the beam refuses to connect to the tv. i talk with the support and we tried everything. the only way to get the beam to connect is unplug the power cable and plug it back every time i turn my tv this is the only way. since yesterday that what i do every time i turn my tv.

its a nightmare sonos have to fix this issue.

Corry P 5 months ago

Hi @orenhazan et al

There was a similar issue recently whereby Beams would have no audio when playing TV audio coming from certain Samsung TVs, which has now been resolved. As your TV and Beam seem to be losing the connection between them, however, this seems like a different issue. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

147 replies

I have exact the same issue as that of orenhazan. I have Samsung S95B and Sonos beam(gen2). The Sonos firmware update 15.10 didn’t fix the problem.

See this link and perhaps follow the Staff advice:

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I have exact the same issue as that of orenhazan. I have Samsung S95B and Sonos beam(gen2). The Sonos firmware update 15.10 didn’t fix the problem.

i know that 15.10 didn’t help. all that’s left to do is wait to a fix for this issue from sonos team.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

this is not the same issue that we have.

this is not the same issue that we have.

I don’t understand, why was that post then from @Corry P put in this thread, I thought it was referring to this/your reported issue? I read that Staff post as Sonos needed to gather more data about the specific models of Samsung TV that were affected and then were going to gather data from the users diagnostic reports and fix the issue (presumably in conjunction with Samsung), Am I misreading his post here then?

It was your post (@orenhazan) that opened this thread.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

So I just got a samsung s95c and sonos beam gen 2 - should i avoid any firmware update on both devices? Is that even possible? Not sure if its going to force updates

i don't think that you have a issue with the S95C all the issues is with the samsung 2022 line not the new C line.

Oh, really? Fingers crossed, i’ll report back once I finish the setup

did the s95c work well with the beam gen 2 ?

my beam gen2 have exact same problem pairing with my new s90c since day 1 (1.5 week ago).
It was flawless with my previous tv LG CX.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

my beam gen2 have exact same problem pairing with my new s90c since day 1 (1.5 week ago).

my friends have the s95c and the beam 2 and don’t have the connect issue. i think it’s because the one connect box that works differently.

because of that i ask about the s95c.

my friends have the s95c and the beam 2 and don’t have the connect issue. i think it’s because the one connect box that works differently.

because of that i ask about the s95c.

Sounds plausible.
When will sonos (or samsung) fix the issue? Starting to get annoyed by this bug.

Nothing has changed since September, is it time to get rid of all sonos products? For the price of sonos products, I expect them to work at 100% and not just walk to the plug and turn on the soundbar all the time. 

Does anyone know whether the problem only occurs with Sonos products or also affects other brands that are connected to Samsung TVs via ARC? Otherwise it is due to the Samsung firmware. Unfortunately I can't check it.

I had the same issue for the past few weeks on my Samsung S95b. Support couldn’t help. I randomly tried clicking on connected devices, then clicking connection guide, then clicking hdmi (eArc). It seemed try recognise the beam from there and I haven’t had the issue since. Unsure if it’ll work for anyone else but it seems to have worked for me. 

Same here! I’ve been having this issue for 3 months now. Did everything and nothing fixed this issue. Sonos works for like 3 days then disconnects and the S95B does not detect it, so I have to power off the Sonos then back on to make it work again. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

i upgrade my tv to the samsung S95C 77 and i am happy that in this tv the issue does not exist it’s work properly with the beam 2 and connects like it should to the beam 2 every time i turn the tv.

the issue with the beam was one of the reasons that i upgrade my tv after i check for sure that the S95C don’t suffering with the sonos beam 2 issue.

i know that it’s take a lot of time for sonos to come out with a fix for this issue and i didn’t want to wait.

also i want to upgrade the size of my tv from 65 inch to 77 and i am glad i did it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

can someone update if the 15.11 frimware fix the issue?

i don’t have the S95B anymore so i can’t check.

Badge

Doesn't appear to have, sadly my TV was back on TV speaker this morning. My opinion of Sonos is rapidly falling through the floor......

Unfortunately, nothing was fixed for me 😬

I discovered this thread after my Beam gen 2 would disconnect from my Samsung S95B and only a power cycle on the beam would allow it to reconnect. Each time I turn off the TV, the beam would loose connection via HDMI earc resulting in the TV speaker being active.

This solution won't work for everyone but the problem for me was because I had a network wide adblocker (on my Unifi Router). For some reason, that interfered with the connection. After disabling it, everything is working again.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I discovered this thread after my Beam gen 2 would disconnect from my Samsung S95B and only a power cycle on the beam would allow it to reconnect. Each time I turn off the TV, the beam would loose connection via HDMI earc resulting in the TV speaker being active.

This solution won't work for everyone but the problem for me was because I had a network wide adblocker (on my Unifi Router). For some reason, that interfered with the connection. After disabling it, everything is working again.

i don’t think it’s related to the issue but i am glad that it help you.

i try to connecnt anoter beam 2 with 15.7 frimware to the same network and the same router and the same tv and the beam connect to tv every time i turn on the tv.

when i replace my beam that have the 15.8 frimware the beam not connect to the tv when i turn the tv on until i power cycle the beam.

also after i spoke a lot of time with sonos technical department they admitted that it’s a frimware issue and they working on a fix.

i replace my tv to the samsung S95C 77 and everything works as it should. 

Badge

Just contacted Sonos support again myself to follow up on this and got an unhelpful robot…...for want of a better phrase. They refused to acknowledge the issue, tried to take me through all the step by step troubleshooting yet again. Couldn’t tell me whether it was actually being investigated either.

Becoming so dillusioned with Sonos now. Used to think it was a good quality brand but the complete lack of action or even public acknowledgement of the issue is really disappointing, if no fix in the next month or so I’ll have no choice but to contact the retailer to arrange a return. I didn’t spend hundreds of pounds on a sound bar and surrounds to have to unplug it multiple times a day to get it to work…….terrible customer service.

Just contacted Sonos support again myself to follow up on this and got an unhelpful robot…...for want of a better phrase. They refused to acknowledge the issue, tried to take me through all the step by step troubleshooting yet again. Couldn’t tell me whether it was actually being investigated either.

Becoming so dillusioned with Sonos now. Used to think it was a good quality brand but the complete lack of action or even public acknowledgement of the issue is really disappointing, if no fix in the next month or so I’ll have no choice but to contact the retailer to arrange a return. I didn’t spend hundreds of pounds on a sound bar and surrounds to have to unplug it multiple times a day to get it to work…….terrible customer service.

Did you try the workaround mentioned to save you having to unplug the Soundbar until Samsung/Sonos fix the issue? Also, instead of chatting to a Bot have you actually phoned Sonos Support to speak directly to their Staff?

Here are their contact numbers -

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/contact-global

Badge

Did you try the workaround mentioned to save you having to unplug the Soundbar until Samsung/Sonos fix the issue? Also, instead of chatting to a Bot have you actually phoned Sonos Support to speak directly to their Staff?

Yes I’ve spoken to them on the phone and via chat (not bot chat)…...and I’ve tried multiple work arounds, the only viable one is a smart plug I refuse to connect it via optical as that disables most of the feature and introduces lip sync issues.

Ultimately though I shouldn’t have to keep contacting or try work arounds….it should just work and if they’ve broken something, roll it back.

Yes I’ve spoken to them on the phone and via chat (not bot chat)…...and I’ve tried multiple work arounds, the only viable one is a smart plug I refuse to connect it via optical as that disables most of the feature and introduces lip sync issues.

Ultimately though I shouldn’t have to keep contacting or try work arounds….it should just work and if they’ve broken something, roll it back.

You only have to look online to see all the issues with Samsung TV’s and Soundbars from "different" manufacturers to see that some of their TV models have had lots of issues and it seems every other brand of TV is not having these issues with Sonos  - so I’m still not ruling out that it might be a Samsung update that’s needed here and Sonos maybe adapting to cater for their hardware issues.

Anyhow there’s little doubt it should be fixed at some point, but a roll-back of firmware is not the answer here, as every other make/model of TV needs to be considered. I’m somewhat surprised though that switching off eARC on the TV and rebooting all did not work for you.🤔 Maybe try another heac 1.4+ compatible cable and see if that makes a difference.

If you can’t wait for the fix though, then you’ll just have to return your device to the retailer. Personally speaking I would not keep ‘regularly’ power-cycling the devices, if you can possibly avoid that, as that may (perhaps) do more harm, than good.