15.8 update is a nightmare

• 21 September 2023
  • 147 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

147 replies

15.9 frimware didn’t fix the 15.8 beam 2 connect issue. let’s hope that in the next update version it will happen.

I installed update almost a week ago and it seems issue is close to resolved in my current TV setup with CEC-Less adapter on a 2nd device.

Only 3 out of approx. 50 times of TV power ups - Beam was not connected, definitely they improved Beam connection. Plus I think it seems they added some kind of watchdog reset with firmware 15.9 as after 1 minute or 2 minutes TV picked up Beam (kind of soft power cycle) when it was initially not connected.

I will remove CEC-Less adapter from my 2nd device connected to S95B TV from today on and I will see if it still works as supposed to on 15.9. I will post my results after few days.

Also I set firmware updates to manual, as in case new firmware breaks something, you can hold off with updating until it is safe to do so. It's bad to pay 2 or 3k for the speakers and struggle to use them and go thru all that hassle. Hopefully things are getting better.

I’ve found a workaround for myself until Sonos and Samsung fix the issue.

My disconnect of the Sonos Beam Gen2 to my S95 was caused by a CEC issue from other external devices turning on the Samsung via CEC over HDMI. This establishing of the new CEC handshake was breaking the one between Sonos and S95.

I have an AppleTv connected to the S95 via HDMI and using CEC. Using the Apple TV remote to turn on the Samsung TV and wake the AppleTv after being in standby was causing the S95 and Sonos to lose its CEC map, hence defaulting to TV speaker.

To resolve this issue. I’ve set my external devices (appletv) to never go to sleep, and I only use the Samsung remote to switch the S95 on and off. I can still use the AppleTv Remote to change the Sonos volume.

Because the CEC connection for external devices always stays alive due to those devices not going to sleep, and because I am not switching on the tv via CEC no more CEC handshake drops for the Sonos.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

update: i found a great solution that work for me every time i turn on my samsung tv.

before i turn the tv on i open the sonos app and move the volume up and down this wakes the beam 2 from a sleep mode and after that i turn on my tv and every time the beam 2 connect to my tv with no problem at all. this is much more convenient solution compared to unplug the power cable and plug it back every time i turn my tv on.

15.9 frimware didn’t fix the 15.8 beam 2 connect issue. let’s hope that in the next update version it will happen.

I installed update almost a week ago and it seems issue is close to resolved in my current TV setup with CEC-Less adapter on a 2nd device.

Only 3 out of approx. 50 times of TV power ups - Beam was not connected, definitely they improved Beam connection. Plus I think it seems they added some kind of watchdog reset with firmware 15.9 as after 1 minute or 2 minutes TV picked up Beam (kind of soft power cycle) when it was initially not connected.

I will remove CEC-Less adapter from my 2nd device connected to S95B TV from today on and I will see if it still works as supposed to on 15.9. I will post my results after few days.

Also I set firmware updates to manual, as in case new firmware breaks something, you can hold off with updating until it is safe to do so. It's bad to pay 2 or 3k for the speakers and struggle to use them and go thru all that hassle. Hopefully things are getting better.

After removing CEC-Less adapter, the issue is still present. Beam 2 is not detected after some time.

When this happens TV won't switch off. It's switching off screen for 0.1 sec and then display is back on.

Power cycle needed to fix. I installed smart plug for now, to do power reset.

update: i found a great solution that work for me every time i turn on my samsung tv.

before i turn the tv on i open the sonos app and move the volume up and down this wakes the beam 2 from a sleep mode and after that i turn on my tv and every time the beam 2 connect to my tv with no problem at all. this is much more convenient solution compared to unplug the power cable and plug it back every time i turn my tv on.

Will try the trick with volume up and down to before switching on the TV.

Anyway this is only workaround, we should not deal with that kind of issues. Sonos please fix this.

It should be allowed also to downgrade firmware to last stable version, but there is no option to do this.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

from the beginning i say why sonos don’t let us to downgrade the frimware this will fix all the problem.

if i can go back to 15.7 i stay with this frimware for ever.

Badge

Same issue here, hope it gets fixed soon. Annoying bug just when I was looking to expand my home theater with more Sonos products. Reliability is important.

I’m hearing reports of this actually being an AppleTv iOs17 issue that is breaking e-arc. Anyone else having these issues also using an Apple TV?

Badge

Got a Samsung QN90B and a Beam Gen 2 also on 15.9 (was 15.8) and been having this exact same issue for a month, driving me nuts, only temporary feasible solution is using optical adaptor.....do they not test these things!!!

Bonjour

j’ai le même probléme et étant donné que c’est lié à la mise à jour en 15.9, savez vous si il est possible de redescendre en 15.7 ?

Merci

No. It is not possible to go back to an older version of the software, currently. This type of thing has been requested for years, and has never been implemented, I’d think Sonos will never do so. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @orenhazan et al

My information is that this issue (or one very like it) was resolved on the 24th of October - as most of you have posted after this date, I recommend that you all check for updates on your TVs and Sonos app. If everything is up to date and you still have this issue, I’d encourage you to get in touch with our technical support team to report as much.

I hope this helps.

Hi @orenhazan et al

My information is that this issue (or one very like it) was resolved on the 24th of October - as most of you have posted after this date, I recommend that you all check for updates on your TVs and Sonos app. If everything is up to date and you still have this issue, I’d encourage you to get in touch with our technical support team to report as much.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Corry P, but this has definitely not fixed my issues. All software versions ( tv + sonos ) are up-to-date..

So, what did the technical support team say, when you called in?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @orenhazan et al

I hope this helps.

i don’t know what you talking about the issue is not solved in 15.9 frimware is the same like before.

sonos didn’t fix the issue until now.

Badge

Nope, definitely not fixed. Problem still persists......

Bonjour 

ma télé : Samsung QE55Q83 avec une version à jour 1520

Sonos en version 15.9

cela ne fonctionne toujours pas

je ne vois pas comment Sonos aurait résolu le problème sans changer de version ! 

je vais les appeler afin d’avoir un ticket d’incident 

Mais quand on paie des centaines d’Euro et devoir débrancher son enceinte tous les jours je ne comprends pas que Sonos ne soit pas en mesure de traiter le pb plus rapidement 

je reviendrai avec les résultats de mon appel

Nope, definitely not fixed. Problem still persists......

Note that the Staff here suggest that If everything is up-to-date and you still have this issue, then to get in touch with their technical support team to report it - Maybe reproduce the disconnection issue and submit a diagnostic report etc. then get in touch with them via the link.

Hope you get it sorted.👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @orenhazan et al

There was a similar issue recently whereby Beams would have no audio when playing TV audio coming from certain Samsung TVs, which has now been resolved. As your TV and Beam seem to be losing the connection between them, however, this seems like a different issue. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

the technical support team until now don’t have a fix to the main issue after the update to 15.8 and the issue is every time you turn on the tv the beam not connect to the tv the only way is to turn off and on the beam.

the fix to this issue is only a frimware update please work on that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @orenhazan 

There will never be a fix if people do not get in touch reporting that there is an issue. I believe this issue has been confused with the other one I mentioned, so anything you were previously told probably related to that and not to this. Unless further reports come in, it will be assumed that the fix for the other issue resolved everything.

In case you think posting here is enough, it is not - we need cases that can be referenced, troubleshooting performed, diagnostics taken and likely also records of what TV models and firmware versions are affected, to even begin looking into it. So, please do get in touch. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

@corry-p Would it be adequate to submit a diagnostic and then submit the issue using the Chat system or is it necessary to call it in?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Stanley_4 

Good question! Chat is generally best kept for the easy stuff - if there is significant troubleshooting to be performed, an agent on chat may well request that you call by phone instead. I’d always recommend calling, but I can understand why some may prefer chat. With this issue, I think a call would be best.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

update: samsung release 1602 frimware for their tv a lot of users with beam 2 and samsung tv say that this frimware fix the issue.

i am also update my samsung s95b to 1602 frimware and from the morning my beam connect to my tv without any issue.

i hope it stays that way.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

the 1602 samsung frimware works better but not perfect and sometimes there is still a connection problem. but much better than before the update.

the beam connect problem happen every 4 or 5 time that i turn my tv on and not every time i turn my tv on. so there is some improvement.

the next fix i hope come from sonos and everythings will be perfect.

Bonjour à tous,

j'ai enfin réussi à résoudre mon problème après 2 appels à Sonos et 1 appel à Samsung

Avec Sonos nous avons retiré tous ce qui étaient branchés à la TV sauf la Beam

Puis j'ai également retiré les mises à jours automatiques (sur l'iphone) Sonos

Puis j'ai appelé Samsung et on a fait un reset d'Usine - attention pas celui que vous pouvez faire seul - celui fait par le technicien Samsung 

Et Depuis je ne perds plus la connexion E arc toutes les nuits 

Par ailleurs il faut noter que ma tv est passée sous une version 1602 entre temps !

Bref vous l'aurez compris je ne sais pas si c'est l'arrêt de la mise à jour ou le reset de la tv qui a résolu le pb.

Bon courage à tous