15.8 update is a nightmare

• 21 September 2023
  • 147 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

147 replies

i don’t update my tv so this is not the case i also not connect my tv to the internet.

i have a apple tv with all the app i need.

if you say that is not sonos 15.8 frimware why before the update everything work fine and i don’t update my tv so nothing change in the tv software the only thing that change is sonos 15.8 frimware.

sonos can release software update that fix that issue but i know that the don’t do it and blame the tv manufacturer.

I don’t personally think posting here in the Sonos community is likely going to resolve your issue @orenhazan - you are certainly best to go back to Sonos Customer Support and keep trying that route, we’re just Sonos users, like yourself …and if it is an issue with the recent software update, then only Sonos engineers might be able to fix these things for you… if it isn’t a Sonos software issue, then you will just need to look elsewhere to resolve your issue. It might even be a coincidental unidentified hardware issue, but you first need to see what Sonos may have have to say about the matter. I would discuss the issue further with the Support Staff.

I suggest that you disconnect all HDMI cables, reboot the SONOS soundbar, and remove power from the SAMSUNG TV for at least two minutes. Now connect the soundbar HDMI to the TV and setup TV audio. You can test with a TV App. Finally, connect the source device that you normally use for TV viewing. It is possible that this is a CEC spat between devices and it will be difficult to get anyone to admit fault. These are not issues unique to SONOS and SAMSUNG. I once encountered a SAMSUNG TV remote that would turn ON a SONY TV in another room. Many of these issues can be resolved by installing a CEC blocker. This solved my SAMSUNG-SONY issue.

i have samsung tv that connected to beam 2 by HDMI to Earc until yesterday every thing work fine.

after the update to 15.8 the beam refuses to connect to the tv. i talk with the support and we tried everything. the only way to get the beam to connect is unplug the power cable and plug it back every time i turn my tv this is the only way. since yesterday that what i do every time i turn my tv.

its a nightmare sonos have to fix this issue.

Interesting, TV option stopped for me today, I think with the 15.8.1 release? It was fine before that.

Turns out mine was cockpit error, my HDMI/Arc cable came loose. All is OK now with 15.8.1.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

i don’t update my tv so this is not the case i also not connect my tv to the internet.

i have a apple tv with all the app i need.

if you say that is not sonos 15.8 frimware why before the update everything work fine and i don’t update my tv so nothing change in the tv software the only thing that change is sonos 15.8 frimware.

sonos can release software update that fix that issue but i know that the don’t do it and blame the tv manufacturer.

I don’t personally think posting here in the Sonos community is likely going to resolve your issue @orenhazan - you are certainly best to go back to Sonos Customer Support and keep trying that route, we’re just Sonos users, like yourself …and if it is an issue with the recent software update, then only Sonos engineers might be able to fix these things for you… if it isn’t a Sonos software issue, then you will just need to look elsewhere to resolve your issue. It might even be a coincidental unidentified hardware issue, but you first need to see what Sonos may have have to say about the matter. I would discuss the issue further with the Support Staff.

Thank you very much for your help.

maybe something went wrong while updating the software

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

i have samsung tv that connected to beam 2 by HDMI to Earc until yesterday every thing work fine.

after the update to 15.8 the beam refuses to connect to the tv. i talk with the support and we tried everything. the only way to get the beam to connect is unplug the power cable and plug it back every time i turn my tv this is the only way. since yesterday that what i do every time i turn my tv.

its a nightmare sonos have to fix this issue.

Interesting, TV option stopped for me today, I think with the 15.8.1 release? It was fine before that.

Turns out mine was cockpit error, my HDMI/Arc cable came loose. All is OK now with 15.8.1.

i am glad that your problem is solved. i try also to change HDMI cable but for me its not solved the problem.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I suggest that you disconnect all HDMI cables, reboot the SONOS soundbar, and remove power from the SAMSUNG TV for at least two minutes. Now connect the soundbar HDMI to the TV and setup TV audio. You can test with a TV App. Finally, connect the source device that you normally use for TV viewing. It is possible that this is a CEC spat between devices and it will be difficult to get anyone to admit fault. These are not issues unique to SONOS and SAMSUNG. I once encountered a SAMSUNG TV remote that would turn ON a SONY TV in another room. Many of these issues can be resolved by installing a CEC blocker. This solved my SAMSUNG-SONY issue.

the CEC blocker you put on the beam HDMI?

i order one from amazon.

thank you.

i order one from amazon.

thank you.

No, that’s for any connected peripherals, like Apple TV in particular, as other devices can sometimes steal CEC focus. Sonos uses CEC to control volume when using the TV remote and for powering off/on the TV etc. I thought you already tried this by leaving your peripheral(s) disconnected, which achieves the same outcome.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

i order one from amazon.

thank you.

No, that’s for any connected peripherals, like Apple TV in particular, as other devices can sometimes steal CEC focus. Sonos uses CEC to control volume when using the TV remote and for powering off/on the TV etc. I thought you already tried this by leaving your peripheral(s) disconnected, which achieves the same outcome.

i cancel the CEC on the apple tv and it didn’t help to solve the problem.

so how the CEC blocker can help me?

i order one from amazon.

thank you.

The issue with CEC on Apple TV is it is rather persistent, even after switching off CEC in the tvOS Settings - that’s why I suggested temporarily removing its connection from the TV in my earlier post and powering down both your TV/Sonos HT products too, just to ensure that it was not stealing CEC focus away from your Beam.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

i order one from amazon.

thank you.

The issue with CEC on Apple TV is it is rather persistent, even after switching off CEC in the tvOS Settings - that’s why I suggested temporarily removing its connection from the TV in my earlier post and powering down both your TV/Sonos HT products too, just to ensure that it was not stealing CEC focus away from your Beam.

thank you i check it.

Was this solved for anyone? Support reassured me they are looking into it but nearly 10 days have passed and the same thing keeps on happening for me until i remove the power cables for all the devices...

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Was this solved for anyone? Support reassured me they are looking into it but nearly 10 days have passed and the same thing keeps on happening for me until i remove the power cables for all the devices...

nothing helped me i tried everything with sonos support and samsung support. the 15.8 update change the behavior of the HDMI in my beam 2 even if sonos claim that the not change nothing. the only thing for me is to wait to 15.9 update hopefully it will work out.

what i do now every time that i turn on my tv i unplug the power cable of the beam and plug it back this is the only way to connect it to the eARC of the tv.

this is the only way it works for me also… So no real solution yet.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

this is the only way it works for me also… So no real solution yet.

you also have a samsung tv?

and also its happened to you after the 15.8 update?

correct. Samsung QN90B is the model i have. There was samsung’s 1520.7 August firmware update also, but is was on auto update so i am not sure when exactly the TV was updated. So i don’t know if it was samsung’s or sonos fault.

In the end, i have 2 pieces of tech i paid a lot for (for my budget at least) that do not work together… Pretty disappointed actually. I will probably chose Sony/Bose/Other alternatives next time for sure. Reading the support forums of both brands (samsung/sonos) was very enlightening, seeing the myriad of issues they have with firmwares/hardware.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

correct. Samsung QN90B is the model i have. There was samsung’s 1520.7 August firmware update also, but is was on auto update so i am not sure when exactly the TV was updated. So i don’t know if it was samsung’s or sonos fault.

In the end, i have 2 pieces of tech i paid a lot for (for my budget at least) that do not work together… Pretty disappointed actually. I will probably chose Sony/Bose/Other alternatives next time for sure. Reading the support forums of both brands (samsung/sonos) was very enlightening, seeing the myriad of issues they have with firmwares/hardware.

for me before the update to 15.8 i had no problems at all. every time i turn my tv the beam 2 immediately connected. a minute after the update the problem happened.

i update my beam many times with no issue at all. now the 15.8 came and ruined everything for me.

if i had know i would stay on 15.7 frimware for ever.

I still personally think it’s a Samsung issue, as their September firmware update caused issues with their own soundbars too. See this link:

https://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-soundbars-are-having-issues-but-the-latest-firmware-update-should-fix-them

A number of other threads reported the problem and people were told to get in touch with Samsung. I would certainly give them a call and see what they say about it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I still personally think it’s a Samsung issue, as their September firmware update caused issues with their own soundbars too. See this link:

https://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-soundbars-are-having-issues-but-the-latest-firmware-update-should-fix-them

A number of other threads reported the problem and people were told to get in touch with Samsung. I would certainly give them a call and see what they say about it.

thank you please update after you talk with samsung.

i don’t update my tv so its not that.

thank you please update after you talk with samsung.

i don’t update my tv so its not that.

If your Samsung TV is not currently running the latest firmware, then it might be that, as that same Samsung article mentions that Samsungs earlier firmware versions were having some issues too and that the September update was designed to fix those issues, albeit some Samsung users seem to say the fix just didn’t work for them.

Its no good me speaking to Samsung, as I have got rid of my Samsung TV in our bedroom and swapped it for a Sharp TV - it’s not that much better, as far as televisions are concerned, but at least there are no issues with CEC and the Beam/Surrounds/Sub attached to it… just wish we had gone with LG now, which the Wife and I  use with a Sonos Arc in the Lounge - that TV has been excellent, but the Sharp TV was heavily discounted and a bargain. It’s good enough fir a bedroom, but just a little limited in their App Store. I’ve added a Nvidia Shield to resolve that, which I really like.

Heres hoping the Samsung update will resolve your issue.🤞If not, then you might be best to call Samsung, as they seem to be aware of their own recent TV issues with connected Soundbars. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

its not a samsung  issue its sonos 15.8 frimware issue thank you for your help.

its not a samsung  issue its sonos 15.8 frimware issue thank you for your help.

Once you are convinced it is X, it leaves you stuck if it actually turns out to be Y.  Considering the number of Samsung/Sonos combos in the world, if there was an actual problem with 15.8, this thread would have thousands of posts.  It’s not even two pages.  Which is certainly pointing to something less universal than the latest update. 

My Arc suddenly stopped receiving audio from my Samsung tv.  My tv wasn’t connected to the internet, so only the 15.8 firmware was a possible root cause.  I spoke to Sonos support today which confirmed that there is an issue with certain Samsung tvs caused by the 15.8 firmware.  They said their engineers were working on it with Samsung.  Hopefully here’s a fix soon.  Luckily I was able to find the optical audio adapter in the meantime...

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

My Arc suddenly stopped receiving audio from my Samsung tv.  My tv wasn’t connected to the internet, so only the 15.8 firmware was a possible root cause.  I spoke to Sonos support today which confirmed that there is an issue with certain Samsung tvs caused by the 15.8 firmware.  They said their engineers were working on it with Samsung.  Hopefully here’s a fix soon.  Luckily I was able to find the optical audio adapter in the meantime...

thank you very much for this update its the first time that i hear that sonos recognize the problem. i said from the beginning that the 15.8 frimware is cause that.

thank you very much for this update its the first time that i hear that sonos recognize the problem. i said from the beginning that the 15.8 frimware is cause that.

Be careful taking an anonymous post on a forum as an official company statement.  They could have misunderstood, they could be making it up to stir up dirt, or they could be an irate customer that a frustrated support person tried to pacify, all of which have happened before.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

i also talk today with sonos and they told me the same thing. they are working on a solution to the problem and the cause of that issue is 15.8 frimware.