New Google Assistant SiriusXM integration not supported?

• 7 November 2019
  • 85 replies

Userlevel 1

Google just released native support for SiriusXM via the Home app.  It is listed as a “radio” service.  I can use voice commands to start and stop stations just fine on the actual google home products (Hub, mini’s etc), however when I attempt to target my Sonos system for playback I am told by Google Assistant that the device is not supported.  For example, I say to my Home Hub “Sonos Kitchen play Phish Radio on SiriusXM”.  Google Assistant recognizes the command as valid with something like “OK playing Phish Radio on SiriusXM on Kitchen” ; immediately followed by “Sorry kitchen is not supported at this time”.  Is this a bug or functionality that is not yet built?  Please note that I am logged into the same SiriusXM account on both my Sonos system and the Google Home system.

85 replies

I too am very unhappy that SiriusXM is not supported with Google Assistant on my Sonos Move. I purchased this speaker a couple of days ago wanting this to be my primary use for it. When can we expect this to be fixed?

Just bought my today. I hope they fix this soon!

Added to the list.  Same here, incredibly frustrated!!! 

Same here all my automation is set up with google 

LOU

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Any update on native XM radio support with audio ducking support?

Same issue. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Any update on native XM radio support with audio ducking support? Is anyone from the Sonos Product team reading these?

Hi everyone.

Currently, we do not have any updates to report regarding integrating Sirius XM with Google Assistant on the Sonos system.

We strive to include more integration support with music services and although I would not be able to provide a time frame for SiriusXM integration with Google Assistant on Sonos, I have added these correspondences to our feature requests. 

I would be happy to provide an update as it becomes available to me. We appreciate your patience.

Can’t believe google assistant is integrated by I can’t get the Sonos to play Sirius using it. What a major fail!

Using the Sonos One for voice commands is getting aggravating.  It lacks so many of the features available through Alexa and GA.  The ability to play a music service through a speaker is so basic and one of the most common uses of voice commands...I can’t believe it is taking this long to add this feature!

Still nothing on this I'm been waiting for it to be resolved before i pull the trigger on the sonos move been waiting for a while now.

Badge

Jumping on the bandwagon as well… Purchased the Google Nest WiFi last week, love the product, figure I’d give the integration a try for some of the other services, works well.  Ordered a Google Nest Mini with the intention to replace my Echo Dot. 

Looks like I may just return the Nest Mini as I cannot get the SiriusXM to work even though its linked in both Sonos, and Google Assistant.

If Sonos needs a tester, hit me up, I’m stuck at home for who knows how long thanks to COVID.  May as well make some use out of us.

Badge

I have found a workaround for this. I have set up voice commands using IFTTT for my favourite stations. It’s not perfect but it works well. There are guides on Reddit if you’re interested in setting it up.

Another dis satisfied Google customer. Voice commands on Google to stream Serius  XM to Sonos should be a standard capability. I've e mailed both google and Sonos complaining without result.

Sonos really is a poor company. Sad, actually. In the last 7 months since this post  they've managed to launch new product, release their own music service, major upgrade to the controller, piss off early customers, and the list goes on. 

Clearly, the feature is not going to be released. Suing Google probably didn't help the matter.

Sonos, why should I recommend your product to friends and family? Please, help me. What am I not understanding?

Still not fixed.  Particularly frustrating because I have two locations and was unable to get Alexa to work in both, even after creating a second account using the new S2 App with the Beam only.  I finally gave up and went with the S1 App at my primary residence with Alexa, and activated Google Voice in the second location only to find out that I couldn’t ask it to play Sirius XM on the Beam.  Annoying to have to open the App to play XM.  Come on Sonos, this can’t be that hard...

Userlevel 1

Is there any update on this? I just set up a new Sonos One G2 yesterday and had to choose between Alexa or Google Assistant. I was led to believe that SiriusXM would work with Google Assistant, and it almost works. As others have described, when I say, “Hey Google, play [channel] on SiriusXM,” the Sonos replies with “Sure, playing [channel] on SiriusXM,” followed immediately by, “Sorry, it looks like SiriusXM isn’t currently supported on Kitchen.”

At first I thought maybe it was because SiriusXM wasn’t set up in the Sonos app, only in the Google Assistant app.* (At support.sonos.com/s/article/3467, it says, “Make sure that any music services you add in the Google Assistnat app have also been added to your Sonos system in the Sonos app.”) I’m not sure why that’s required, but anyway, I did it, and it still doesn’t work.

I can play SiriusXM stations on my Sonos speaker using the Sonos app. And I can play SiriusXM stations on my Sonos speaker via AirPlay using the SiriusXM app. I can even use the Google Assistant on my iPhone to play SiriusXM stations on my iPhone. But it won’t play them to the Sonos speaker (it gives a similar response about not supported), and I can’t use a voice command on the Sonos to play SiriusXM, which I was really hoping to do.

Do I need to start all over again and try with Alexa instead? I don’t really have the time to keep messing with things that may or maybe not work, and overall if I have to use one of these two companies’ voice assistants, I think I prefer it to be Google’s.

Are others still having this problem?

_____

*I didn’t add it in the Sonos app at first because SiriusXM wasn’t offered as an option when I looked at the list of available music services in the Sonos app. SiriusXM Canada was offered, because I’m in Canada. But I subscribe to SiriusXM in the US, not in Canada. When I changed my country to US in my Sonos profile, it then allowed me to add SiriusXM as a music service in the Sonos app. But, like the other people commenting here, the voice integration still doesn’t work.

Userlevel 1

I am having the same issue

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks,

SiriusXM using Google Assistant is not yet supported by Sonos. For now, you can ask your Google Assistant to play music from iHeartRadio, TIDAL, and TuneIn Radio if those services are already added to your Sonos system, but they can’t be directly added to your Google Assistant app. Also, Apple Music is not yet currently supported for use with the Google Assistant on Sonos. You can try the current workarounds like Airplay, or maybe try it with Alexa voice service

We don't have any news to share today and we'd be happy to share your interest with the team.

Userlevel 1

Hi folks,

SiriusXM using Google Assistant is not yet supported by Sonos. ...

We don't have any news to share today and we'd be happy to share your interest with the team.

Is the team even working on it?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks,

Hi, @CHCN! This thread is being shared with the designated team and we’ll do our best here to catch up with all our customer’s interest as you all are our top priority. Thanks for your patience. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi folks,

Hey it’s only been 10 months, need more time to get around to flipping the switch.

Userlevel 1

Hi folks,

Hi, @CHCN! This thread is being shared with the designated team and we’ll do our best here to catch up with all our customer’s interest as you all are our top priority. Thanks for your patience. 

Count me in the long-time-Sonos customer who is unhappy with Sonos and SiriusXM inability to work with Google Home.   SiriusXm works great with Sonos app.   It should be an easy fix.   Let me know when you fix this … or I’m going to have to sell my five Sonos speakers and Sonos soundbar and just put in an old fashioned applifier and wired speakers.

Can you at least explain to the group what the problem is?    Why isn’t it currently working?   What’s the hang-up?  

Userlevel 1

Any progress on this problem?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Tod, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.

SiriusXM is currently available with Alexa only and please remember, that despite some music services not working with certain voice assistants, a user can start playback in the Sonos app and a user can control that music service's playback via voice with commands like play, pause, mute, skip, next, stop, resume, etc.

As promised, I’ll pass this along with the team and we’ll let you know once it’s available. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding. 

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.