Answered

complaint about the End of Software Updates

• 22 January 2020
  • 62 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

62 replies

Advancements in streaming technology as it pertains to Sonos technology are incremental, and certainly will not make a device obsolete in 5 to 10 years.  I can see right through what sonos is trying to do: sell more product to its loyal users.  Except what I read is that many, including myself, have lost confidence in Sonos.  In 2019 it was losing support to play the tens of thousands of songs I own on my apple phone.  Now in 2020 it’s anything older than 5 years.  Hear me now SONOS:  I currently own a soundbar, a Play1, 6 Connects, 2 Connect Amps, and I was planning a whole new wave of additional purchases.  But I’m not buying one more piece of Sonos equipment.  Ever.  How can I if I can’t trust you at all? 

Everyone who reads this go check out Bluesound.  New, young, fresh company… Looks great on paper. Does everything Sonos does and much more.  Plays the music I own, from my phone. Might be time to sell off my stuff and upgrade to a different company.

AP

Sonos successfully sued Denon for patent infringement. Currently suing Bluesound. Thst is how it does everything Sonos does!  Watch that space.

Also I think I read that Bluesound had dropped playing from an iPhone too. Maybe I am mistaken.

Edit no I wasn't mistaken

https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360017557514-WARNING-no-longer-able-to-directly-play-from-iTunes-library

Advancements in streaming technology as it pertains to Sonos technology are incremental, and certainly will not make a device obsolete in 5 to 10 years.  I can see right through what sonos is trying to do: sell more product to its loyal users.  Except what I read is that many, including myself, have lost confidence in Sonos.  In 2019 it was losing support to play the tens of thousands of songs I own on my apple phone.  Now in 2020 it’s anything older than 5 years.  Hear me now SONOS:  I currently own a soundbar, a Play1, 6 Connects, 2 Connect Amps, and I was planning a whole new wave of additional purchases.  But I’m not buying one more piece of Sonos equipment.  Ever.  How can I if I can’t trust you at all? 

Everyone who reads this go check out Bluesound.  New, young, fresh company… Looks great on paper. Does everything Sonos does and much more.  Plays the music I own, from my phone. Might be time to sell off my stuff and upgrade to a different company.

AP

Funny, Bluesound can’t play from your phone either. And unlike Sonos they dropped it without even taking a year to try to fix it.  Like to reconsider your choice? 

Sonos and  Denon settled out of court and HEOS continues to be sold.

Besides Bluesound, Sonos is also suing Google and has publicly stated that they will sue Amazon after Google. 

The lawsuits aren't surprising since Google and Amazon are reportedly out selling Sonos big time. 

There are a lot of reasons to not buy Bluesound but being sued by Sonos wouldn't factor too high for me, ymmv. (But TBH I would never buy Bluesound)

AP

Funny, Bluesound can’t play from your phone either. And unlike Sonos they dropped it without even taking a year to try to fix it.  Like to reconsider your choice? 

My comments about Bluesound were an afterthought.  Did you want to comment about the main point of this thread? Like how I’ve spent several thousands of dollars, and now Sonos doesn’t want to support the product despite there being very little innovation in the past 10 years?

Er wireless home theater, play from device (until Apple sabotaged it for iOS only), Trueplay, Voice control (Alexa and Google), removing need for wired device, portable speaker with new Trueplay, Spotify Connect, Airplay 2, hugely expanded streaming services, BLE for setup…

And all the features that came as software updates were free upgrades. 

My comments about Bluesound were an afterthought.  Did you want to comment about the main point of this thread? Like how I’ve spent several thousands of dollars, and now Sonos doesn’t want to support the product despite there being very little innovation in the past 10 years?

10 years?  The iPhone app, the Android app, TV connected devices, surround sound, Trueplay, Voice control, direct play from other apps, Airplay 2; all developed in the last 10 years.  Being a touch hyperbolic, no? 

And yes, the abandoning of legacy units sucks, as do the solutions.  But that is the reality with modern smart devices.  Anybody with an inkling of knowledge in hardware and software knew this day was coming.  Nothing anyone can do about it except stay at legacy, split their system, or upgrade.  Not really that much to talk about.  Complain? Sure.  But I personally don’t rage at nameless faceless corporations, nor do I hold their support staff to task for things out of their control.  Therefore, I tend not to whinge on support forums.  Rather than that, I vote with my wallet. 

Besides, you already stated that you were never buying another Sonos product.  The subject seems pretty closed. Which is why I concentrated on your stated alternative.  

10 years?  The iPhone app, the Android app, TV connected devices, surround sound, Trueplay, Voice control, direct play from other apps, Airplay 2; all developed in the last 10 years.  Being a touch hyperbolic, no? 

And yes, the abandoning of legacy units sucks, as do the solutions.  But that is the reality with modern smart devices.  Anybody with an inkling of knowledge in hardware and software knew this day was coming.  Nothing anyone can do about it except stay at legacy, split their system, or upgrade.  Not really that much to talk about.  Complain? Sure.  But I personally don’t rage at nameless faceless corporations, nor do I hold their support staff to task for things out of their control.  Therefore, I tend not to whinge on support forums.  Rather than that, I vote with my wallet. 

Besides, you already stated that you were never buying another Sonos product.  The subject seems pretty closed. Which is why I concentrated on your stated alternative.  

The fact that it took the CEO of Sonos all of 2 days to issue an apology email to me tells me this isn’t a faceless company, and that my complaints are being heard.  But of course you left that out.  Sonos employee or mole maybe?

The fact that it took the CEO of Sonos all of 2 days to issue an apology email to me tells me this isn’t a faceless company, and that my complaints are being heard.  But of course you left that out.  Sonos employee or mole maybe?

Nope, not an employee at all.  That nonsense was debunked in the main thread on this subject.  In short, employees are marked as such. 

And so what if the CEO issued an apology, you don’t trust Sonos, and you are “not buying one more piece of Sonos equipment.  Ever.”  Right?  

Userlevel 1

Besides Bluesound, Sonos is also suing Google and has publicly stated that they will sue Amazon after Google. 

The lawsuits aren't surprising since Google and Amazon are reportedly out selling Sonos big time. 

There are a lot of reasons to not buy Bluesound but being sued by Sonos wouldn't factor too high for me, ymmv. (But TBH I would never buy Bluesound)

What would you but instead of Bluesound?

Userlevel 1

What would you buy instead of Bluesound?

What would you buy instead of Bluesound?

Every smart speaker with embedded software is going to suffer the same fate eventually.  

I have never seen such a crock before in my entire life! It took me years and thousands of dollars to build up my system throughout my house and now I am being told I have to do it again? I can tell you this, the community built this brand and we can take it down as quick as we built it! I tell all my friends about how amazing this system is and now I feel like I am being scammed! I don’t have the money to upgrade another $3000 for my house. Sonos needs to find a way to make this right. I promise you I will blast this company every chance I get if they don’t fix this!

Upset is a understatement!!!!

I am a working class person like most of the Sonos community. It sounds like every 4 years or so they are going to hit us with this upgrade. There is no way I can afford this. Looks like back to a reciever.

Absoluetly stinks!

I have never seen such a crock before in my entire life! It took me years and thousands of dollars to build up my system throughout my house and now I am being told I have to do it again?

Come may, you’re existing system will continue to operate as it currently does minus regular updates.  If the system requires security updates or bug fixes, Sonos will provide that within the limits of the hardware.  So you do not have to replace your system.

You may already be aware of the above, but as there is a lot of misinformation and confusion going around, I’m repeating it here.

I am a working class person like most of the Sonos community. It sounds like every 4 years or so they are going to hit us with this upgrade. There is no way I can afford this. Looks like back to a reciever.

Another bit of misinformation.  Sonos has to support every device for 5 years after it stops being manufactured.  That is the minimum.  The legacy devices all have 32 MB RAM, and they made that 32 MB RAM last for 15 years.  Currently sold devices have 16 (non-voice) to 32 (voice enabled) times that amount, so support beyond the mandatory 5 years is well accounted for in the capability of the devices.  Not saying they are completely future proof, but with 16 to 32 times the RAM/storage as the original devices, it stands to reason that more than 5 years of use was spec’d into the devices. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

What would you but instead of Bluesound?

The other poster is correct in that Bluesound owners will suffer similar fate as Sonos when it comes to obsolescence.

I'm going to go with something different similar to what is being described in the Pragmatic Brexit advanced discussion based around a server and cheaper smart front ends without vendor lock in that will still allow me to use my Sonos devices I already own.

Well guess what Sonos Community, my PLAY 5 has been acting up since shortly after Mr Spence issued his assurance that his products would continue to operate “as they do today”. Well, today I was advised by Sonos Technical Support that the fault with my Play 5 is associated with the device memory and I have no option but to replace it or upgrade it! Seems a wee bit coincidental that, after many years of trouble free use, this Play 5 can no longer be supported and constantly drops off the mixed generation Group.

So my Connect:Amp, Bridge, and Connect might shortly start to suffer the same issues as the Play 5 so I will be left with 4 Play 1’s and a Boost that I might be able to reconfigure into a smaller system.

Time to consider an alternative to Sonos which will cost thousands of pounds to replicate the configuration that I have/had!

It would be interesting to know if any other Play 5 users have experienced their Play 5 dropping off the Sonos network over the past 2 weeks!

cheers

Brian

Well guess what Sonos Community, my PLAY 5 has been acting up since shortly after Mr Spence issued his assurance that his products would continue to operate “as they do today”. Well, today I was advised by Sonos Technical Support that the fault with my Play 5 is associated with the device memory and I have no option but to replace it or upgrade it! Seems a wee bit coincidental that, after many years of trouble free use, this Play 5 can no longer be supported and constantly drops off the mixed generation Group.

Think about this theory a little bit more.  If Sonos was going to subtly kill off legacy devices, why would they bother announcing a plan for legacy devices to stay on a legacy system version of Sonos?  How would they keep people from figuring out what’s going on?  If they can’t really keep people from figuring it out (because they wouldn’t be able to), why not just bite the bullet and announce that these devices would no longer work at all in May?  If every legacy device is going to mysteriously and intentionally fail in the next few months, what kind of workload are they putting on the tech support staff?  How worse of a PR nightmare would that be then what Sonos already has to deal with?

So my Connect:Amp, Bridge, and Connect might shortly start to suffer the same issues as the Play 5 so I will be left with 4 Play 1’s and a Boost that I might be able to reconfigure into a smaller system.

Not likely. 

Time to consider an alternative to Sonos which will cost thousands of pounds to replicate the configuration that I have/had!

It would be interesting to know if any other Play 5 users have experienced their Play 5 dropping off the Sonos network over the past 2 weeks!

Why just play:5 users, since your theory is that all legacy products have been sabotaged?  How many responses do you need before you can claim your conspiracy theory is true?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

They don’t have a plan for legacy devices. I have an email from them saying they are working to see if they can find a way to allow my Amp (less than 4 years Old) continue to work with my other Sonos devices. If not I will have to run two separate systems or upgrade my two Amps.

Customer Service. NOT!

They don’t have a plan for legacy devices. I have an email from them saying they are working to see if they can find a way to allow my Amp (less than 4 years Old) continue to work with my other Sonos devices. If not I will have to run two separate systems or upgrade my two Amps.

Customer Service. NOT!

More misinformation.  There is a plan for legacy devices, and it is spelled out here: A letter from our CEO: All Sonos products will continue to work past May

In summary: As of May 20, if you choose to keep your system as is, it will work just like it does today.  In the future it will receive bug fixes and security updates, but it will not receive new features.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Not what your support told me. 
I was informed by them that the two Amps would probably have to be in sepgroups if they cannot find a way for them to remain in the existing system. 

Not what your support told me. 
I was informed by them that the two Amps would probably have to be in sepgroups if they cannot find a way for them to remain in the existing system. 

Not my support, I don’t work for Sonos.  Sonos employees are marked as such.  I’m just quoting the CEO, who put it in writing, unlike a second hand quote from a low level support person.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

A CEO who has a novel way of trying to increase sales by making equipment obsolete after less than 4 years and offers a pathetic discount to get you to upgrade. Not my favourite company at the moment. 

A CEO who has a novel way of trying to increase sales by making equipment obsolete after less than 4 years and offers a pathetic discount to get you to upgrade. Not my favourite company at the moment. 

Your feelings about the CEO and/or company does not negate the fact you were posting misinformation. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Just posting what Sonos are telling me!