Skip to main content

How do I fix it?  I have an iphone with the new app, my spouse has an iphone with the old gold app, our music is in an itunes folder on a windows laptop.  The music library is gone on all of them, and I get Error 913 when I try to add the music folder back to Sonos on the laptop.  Our speakers are useless without this - we don’t use streaming services, just our music library.  Do I need to get rid of the Sonos system now because local music isn’t an option anymore???

FYI, NYT Wirecutter is on this one.  

They’ve added this note to their otherwise glowing review (https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/sonos-player/).  Not sure how they overlooked previous snafus, but I guess this one is an order of magnitude more glaring:

“Editor's note: Sonos recently introduced a major update to its control app. We've tested it, and it has a lot of problems. We are exploring the matter further, and have reached out to Sonos. For now, we encourage existing customers to NOT update the app if they haven't already done so, and we will report back soon.”

Here is the solution for Windows for the local library error bug with code (913), read the image from left to right.

Thanks @HelpingIsKind that solution worked for me. What a bunch of jerks making such a bad update and then doing nothing to let people know or fix it. They’ve really gone down in my estimation. I’m going to write an email to that ceo email they have on their site although I expect it will be answered by a bot and nothing will happen. 

This fix for Windows is not working for me; not sure why. This app is terrible - I was forced to update so the options to manage my library weren’t greyed out and now libraries are broken? 

The constant issues with the software that controls this thing make the speaker nearly worthless, which is very sad since it’s an excellent speaker otherwise. I finally pulled the trigger on a Logitech bluetooth receiver to plug into the AUX port; I’ll be trying out bypassing all this craptastic software with that approach. I’ve been let down one too many times at this point and bluetooth just works. 

In case that fails - does anyone know of any alternatives to the Sonos music player for Windows that can play directly to it without bluetooth? 

Adding my disgust with Sonos for releasing an “update” that the company would degrade the product.  Looking for a new alternative for Macs.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I’ve looked at Bose, Denon and BlueSound.  RollingStone has an article from 2022 about alternatives.  Haven’t made the switch yet.  I’ll see wait the June updates do and I want to try one more suggestion to add the library back.

HelpingIsKind and PaulRB371

I’m trying to use your method but the window that opens after I’ve clicked ‘Advanced Sharing’ is different than yours. Any ideas why?

Obviously I can’t select ‘Sonos Wireless Wi-Fi System’ because its not available/listed.

Thanks

Seems like Sonos development team have excelled themselves with their level of incompetence. Waiting until “sometime in June” for them to provide software which we had and was working is is totally unacceptable. Thanks to the comments on here seems like there is a workround to use the NAS option. I have my SONOS working again (although no imported playlists as yet). Took a few attempts since with Windows 2 step authentication the userid and password route does not seem to work. However, I shared the folder (read/write) to Everyone on the computer (as it’s just me anyway) and also switched off requiring userid and password in sharing. To do this when you select properties on the music folder there is a hot link at the bottom to the “Network and Sharing Center” click on that and on the screen that appears click on “All Networks”. At the bottom is a section for “Password protected sharing” where you can turn off password protected sharing. That said I wouldn’t recommend this unless you are confident your computer is in a safe network. Hope this helps.

After waiting on hold for approximately 75 minutes on May 15th, i finally got to speak to Ella Mae B. who attempted to assist.  After the call that had an elapse time of 1:53 due to hold then “help,” the revelation was that:

• this iMac which hosted the 35,000 plus track of CD music and downloaded music with no issues;
  • upon a reboot received the SONOS message that the S1 controller is not compatible with your system;
  • which is disturbing as the MacOS has NOT been updated nor patched but it was SONOS who decided to FORCE the user to update to its new “black icon” S2 version.  You have no choice;
  • Upon updating, the Music Library can’t be added back to the system.  The same Music Library that had its ability to be searched - how ironic;
  • During the call, which went in circles at times, I finally got to what appears to be the crux of the matter: the SMB level that is running on the MacOS;
  • as a practice, I always insist that SONOS send me a ticket with documentation of the issue.  All that was supplied was “ Since the removing of Legacy SMBv1 Sharing, and setting up an SMBv2 / SMBv3.  Need to contact the iMac to disable the SMBv1 and enable the SMBv2 / SMBv3 as the new supported file sharing on Sonos;;
  • Whereas I did ask if we could downgrade to the fully operational S1 controller that even supported the new iOS app, the answer was NO;
  • I then asked how to check the SMB level or how to change it.  The answer was to “call Mac” which i believe she meant “Apple Computer;”
  • I asked for instructions to be sent on how to check and change, or even if they knew which MacOS runs which level of SMB, and only received the answer “the software developers removed the support for SMB1.”  Unreal;

So, I will be cutting and pasting this back in a response to SONOS corporate support but do not expect a response.  So, if the community has anyone that can provide instructions on a) how to check the level os SMB on an iMac clearly running the MacOS, b) is there an operating system level that is required or tied to SMB2 / SMB3?, c) how to change or force the MacOS to use either  SMB2 or SMB3 as apparently now required and FORCED by SONOS?

In closing, I am not only writing for my own library, but for those potentially thousands of other SONOS users that have been using the SONOS app for over 5 years AT LEAST on perfectly operating hardware/OS with no issues whatsoever to only be “software bricked” once again by this not thought out decision by SONOS.

Standing by...

I have the 913 error too. I just want my speaker to play my music but now I can’t get the software to connect to my library.

I spoke to support by phone today and they said an updated up is due for 21 May and it should fix this, and other problems like the alarm. Just sharing what I’ve been told so we’ll see next Tuesday.

This should not have happened in the first place, there was no warning and it looked like some plain update, the kind you click on to get rid of the repeat notifications, rather than a radical change in the business model.

Exact same issue - I think we are approaching class action lawsuit time.

Is it possible to roll back updates?

I’m hoping this is just some idiot tech team mistake and not some sort of strategic blackmail to force subscriptions to their services.

I was just commenting to my wife yesterday that since we’re moving to a new house we might want to consider moving away from Sonos for our whole house system. Man, did they make that a no-brainer or what?

Any lawyers out there?

Found this on the internet.  Have not tried it.  Will do that this evening after work.  Maybe, if I’m not annoyed too much.  

To make your Mac an SMB server, do the following:

1. Open System Settings from the Apple menu.
  2. Select General | Sharing.
  3. Click the “i” beside File Sharing.
  4. Enable the Switch for File Sharing to turn on the file sharing service.
  5. To enable the user account access via SMB, click Options… and then Share files and folders using SMB. Check the accounts you wish to enable the service on, then click Done ( Figure D)

My system already had those setting, but I’m in the same boat as other Mac users. 

Who’s running Sonos these days?  Elon Musk????

To say that I’m pissed off doesn’t even begin to describe my frustration with this entire situation. I have a lot of money and time invested in my Sonos system and my music library. I don’t give a crap about Sonos Radio. I realize Sonos have to find other ways of making money, but to remove key features of an app is not the way to do it. You’ve just recentered my 200+GB music library unreachable. This is from a Windows PC. The phone app is even worse as speaker/group selection is abominable, and clunky as hell to use. You really, really need to offer a way to roll back the software, because this last one really sucks.

Let the class actions begin!!!

Who’s running Sonos these days?  Elon Musk????

Not Elon Musk, I think it’s been taken over by Billy Smarts Circus.

absolutely ridiculous  the amount of time I’ve spent trying to get my music library to work . Still get no where,

Ty for everyone’s help on the mac side. I synthesized it all into a single place, here: 

None of these work for me. My NAS drives are Buffalo drives and the oldest one is quite old.

In trying to connect to my iTunes Media, I discovered that Sonos tries to connect with the user sonosDMS. I am wondering whether it does that regardless of the user information that you provide.

I have other problems with this update which means it is not connecting reliably to my speakers. From my MacBook, I can connect only because I have a Sonos boost connected to the network and it finds that.

If I was to guess why some of this wasn’t tested, I would say it is because they focused on subscription services. A music library on your own hard drive is no longer what companies want people to have. It isn’t just Sonos with this attitude.

I lost my music library too and I followed some of the advice here but it didn’t work.

I have my music library on a Windows 11 laptop.

I am very security conscious so my laptop was not shared on the local network.

What I had to do was to open up the settings control panel, go to Network & Internet and turn on Network discovery (Your PC can find and be found by other devices on the network).

Open up a File Explorer and go to Network

My-Computer is now shown and it also finds my Sonos device too.

Double click on My-Computer and I see Music, Pictures and Users folders.

Right click on Music and open up Properties, open the Sharing tab and click on Share…

Select “Sonos Wireless HiFi System” and make sure it’s set to Read/Write

Click on Share

Now go to the Windows Sonos app and select Manage → Music Librart settings → Music Library and click on Add and select the first one in the list which is Add My Music Library.

For me this worked and it’s now playing again :-) 

Have Sonos gone mad?

I can see three possibilities…

1. Sonos has statistics on how many of its customers use the Music Library function and it’s tiny so they are happy to lose these customers because everybody else who buys it does so to listing to music from Spotify or internet radio.
  2. They are incompetent and forgotten that they have customers
  3. They have gone insane.

HelpingIsKind and PaulRB371

I’m trying to use your method but the window that opens after I’ve clicked ‘Advanced Sharing’ is different than yours. Any ideas why?

Obviously I can’t select ‘Sonos Wireless Wi-Fi System’ because its not available/listed.

Thanks

Hi WestyRG7, your windows look the same as mine. I just published a reply that might help you. My library is now working again. I don’t think you need to go into the Advanced Sharing section.

I was also angry, but thanks for PaulRB371, I tried the method to allow Music Folder permission and it worked!

Please right-click on the Music Folder > Properties > Advanced Sharing > Add Sonos Wireless HiFi System to Read/Write:

Brilliant fix . Thank you.

I’ve got the same problem. Music library completely disappeared, then I keep getting an error message when trying to add it back again. Sonus when are you planning to fix this? Edit - I’ve just tried the fix above and it seems to be working. Thank you fabulous forum people 😊

I too got the update today. When I tried to add my music library to my Sonos, ( Mac ) I ended getting an error code 913. One of the reason I I went to Sonos was to play my Apple I-Tunes music collection through there speakers. The ability to play my music collection just went away today. I was able to play my music when the new app first came out. If this is how it is going to be, I will be very upset with Sonos. 

Gberg, try the fix above - allowing sharing permission from your music folder. Don’t know how it will works on Mac, but it worked on my windows system 🤞