Skip to main content

New Sonos app - The worst ever

I am writing to express my frustration and disappointment with the latest update of your app. Since the update, I have encountered numerous issues that have severely disrupted my experience:

1. Speaker Detection Issues: The app intermittently fails to detect my speakers. They appear and disappear at random, making it impossible to manage them effectively.
  2. Grouping Problems: When I try to split the music in one room from the group, the remaining speakers stop working and cannot be re-grouped. This has rendered the multi-room functionality unusable.
  3. Playback Failures: None of the speakers will play music after attempting to manage them through the app.
  4. App Connectivity: The app frequently loses connection with the speakers and is unable to detect them again.

Moreover, the support wait times are exceedingly long, often over 70 minutes, and the chat support has not been helpful in resolving these issues. This situation is unacceptable and has caused significant inconvenience.

I urge you to provide an option to revert to the previous version of the app until these critical bugs are resolved. Additionally, I would appreciate a more responsive and effective support system to address these urgent issues.

Thank you for your immediate attention to this matter.

The most horrible app upgrade known to man. The developer should be in prison for this crime.  Give us back the old app and start over.  There isn't one feature on this new app that shouldn't be flushed.  Shame on sonos.

You comparing this to a crime that someone should be imprisoned for is only the 3rd stupidest metaphor of today.  Try harder next time. 

Maybe Sonos should try harder to fix their epic failure. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

I have approx 16 devices on my system and they are pretty useless with the new app update. Not only is it difficult to use, it does not work. When I try to play an album it cycles through all the songs very fast but does not play any music. Music does not play. Then music plays and the app does not show any music playing. It renders my whole system useless. Thousands of dollars worth of equipment useless. We need a fix right away.  Worst most unintuitive app ever released. Sonos is trash now because of it. 

Agree with all posters, this new app sucks bad.

Amazingly as bad as the Sonos update for approximately a month ago was the latest download appears even worse. Can't locate my system and won't allow me to go to system settings.  Outrageous that something so buggy could be released for general use!

This app is awful. It's a complete mystery and revelation what I'm going to get each time I use it. Speakers not identified, only one speaker playing, home page greyed out so can't access anything,  no music, no search facility etc. I'm ready to throw it out of the window. Sadly, my mates know a once very good product is now totally unreliable. They won't be investing in sonos, no chance. At the time of writing I can play music from one playlist and nothing else. Bizarre!

Indeed i was just having some time to listen to some music on a lazy sunday.. and started to use the new app, never ever had such a bad streaming experience with this s2 sonos app, the worst of the worst. Personally what i found out to be the worst: The app is extremely slow and sluggish, you want that snappy feel, this app does the opposite, its atrocious, just selecting some audiiophile playlist in Spotify with a premium account there, and skipping through the tracks on the playlist took ages… connections are all up and the internetspeed and ping are super fast over here.. just a horrible feel towarda this app in its state today, forget about the missing features, forget about the looks, makes this app snappy again… its atrocious, it really is. If this isn’t fixed soon i bet a lot of the sonos users out there will ditch Sonos. And what does Sonos do… nothing. 

Literally the worst piece of software I’ve ever used. I’ve spent many thousands on Sonos products and they’re virtually useless. Class action imminent surely.

insanely insanely bad. 
fire someone

Couldn't agree more. Why try and fix something that isn't broken FFS. 

Same here. completely frustrated!

Indeed i was just having some time to listen to some music on a lazy sunday.. and started to use the new app, never ever had such a bad streaming experience with this s2 sonos app, the worst of the worst. Personally what i found out to be the worst: The app is extremely slow and sluggish, you want that snappy feel, this app does the opposite, its atrocious, just selecting some audiiophile playlist in Spotify with a premium account there, and skipping through the tracks on the playlist took ages… connections are all up and the internetspeed and ping are super fast over here.. just a horrible feel towarda this app in its state today, forget about the missing features, forget about the looks, makes this app snappy again… its atrocious, it really is. If this isn’t fixed soon i bet a lot of the sonos users out there will ditch Sonos. And what does Sonos do… nothing. 

slow and sluggish is acurate!

I wouldn’t hold your breath about Sonos doing something. I don’t think they care. I was a big fan until one of my units died - six years old, just, totally dead. Not old in hi-fi terms (my son still uses my 40-year old Technics amp!). Can it be fixed? Nope. OK, fine, I’ll get a new one. They offer me a discount as a customer with a problem - but the discount is …. Only slightly better than the discount anyone gets on the site when units are on offer. Way to make someone feel valued. Anyhow - that’s Irrelevant to this thread. What is relevant is my unbelievable experience setting up the unit with the new app. Because the old unit had died, and they no longer make Sonos One, I moved a unit from the room where one had died to make a new stereo pair - fine, worked, did the tuning, grand. Added the new unit to the old room - couldn’t, old room not on the menu list other than adding the new speaker to pair the one that had died, which couldn’t be removed from the room. In trying to do this, the stereo pair in the other room decoupled and wouldn’t work. Got those working again but they couldn’t be seen in the Sonos app despite being visible and working in Apple Music and Spotify. Brilliant. Back to sort the other one, just would not set up at all. Add, remove, add, remove. Then the other room now keeps telling me it needs to be tuned - already done. I do that - and the stereo pair decouples again. Honestly. Deep breath, reset everything - no difference. Go to bed, sleep on in with the intention of sorting in the morning. In the morning… it all works! I’m scared to breath near these things. Also, only company ever I’ve sent in a CEO complaint with zero response. I know the CEOs don’t generally look at these things, but usually someone does because if they write to the CEO they are cheesed off. Asked for my views via survey, damned them - also no response. No response on here. They. Do. Not. Care. Because. They. Have. Our. Money. 

F U Sonos! Cancelled my headphones purchase….. want to return all this crappy system after the upgrade…. Solve this issue…. Listen to your customers… Roll back the upgrade… F…ing DO SOMETHING!

I’ve had a Sonos Arc setup with Sub and a couple Ones as surrounds and recently got a Move 2 to use as a portable speaker. I’ve only used them using them as speakers for my TV setup outputing from an AppleTV, or as AirPlay2 speakers for my Apple Music app. I figured everything I read about the Sonos App was exaggerating, so didn’t pay much attention to it. Last night I finally said, oh, it can’t be that bad, can it? So I tried it. And yes, it is that bad. I am STUNNED that a company would release an app that performs as poorly as it does. It’s unbelievable and unacceptable. Thank god I don’t need that app for anything. It’s a steaming pile...

I have been a Sonos user for 15 years. Over those years I have been generally happy with the system. This app is the worst thing Sonos has ever released. First time I have had it be a truly unpleasant user experience. Fix this garbage and fire whoever developed and allowed this to be release.

How is it possible the Sonos app could be this bad? I would like to offer constructive feedback with explicit examples, but its so bad that I don’t even know where to begin... 

This is the worse for sure . GUI changes in the layout and sizing of the app sections on one screen look like I pushed up the font size from 12px to 36px. Remove the banner ads and put an offers link in a menu. Just seems like there was no proper user acceptance testing and someone from marketing with no app design experience was at the helm of this horrible release. It is all about workflow and this release completely missed the mark. Also it seems they did not implant the about this album feature.

I have spent hours trying to get this new app to work👎🏿👎🏿, no such luck.  There is an old saying, if it’s not broken, do not touch it.

Guess Sonos never heard that saying. If nothing happens soon with this app, well Bose here I come.

I am writing to express my frustration and disappointment with the latest update of your app. Since the update, I have encountered numerous issues that have severely disrupted my experience:

1. Speaker Detection Issues: The app intermittently fails to detect my speakers. They appear and disappear at random, making it impossible to manage them effectively.
  2. Grouping Problems: When I try to split the music in one room from the group, the remaining speakers stop working and cannot be re-grouped. This has rendered the multi-room functionality unusable.
  3. Playback Failures: None of the speakers will play music after attempting to manage them through the app.
  4. App Connectivity: The app frequently loses connection with the speakers and is unable to detect them again.

Moreover, the support wait times are exceedingly long, often over 70 minutes, and the chat support has not been helpful in resolving these issues. This situation is unacceptable and has caused significant inconvenience.

I urge you to provide an option to revert to the previous version of the app until these critical bugs are resolved. Additionally, I would appreciate a more responsive and effective support system to address these urgent issues.

I have invested a lot of money in Sonos equipment for more than 10 years and upgraded hard-& software when needed/necessary. The new app is so awful (extremely slow, bad respons, search failures, sound hick-ups, and so on) and Sonos behaves like an anarchist, does not respond to any feedback and should offer a downgrade solution. What a disaster!

I just want to add my frustration that your app update has RUINED what was a perfectly good app, almost making the entire system USELESS. YOU UTTER UTTER IDIOTS.

In mijn huis en het huis van mijn vriend staat Sonos. Met de nieuwe app kan ik niet meer de sonos bedienen bij mijn vriend thuis. Met de oude app was dat geen probleem. Nu moet je inloggen als systeem beheerder. Echt waardeloos. Is de oude app nog ergens te vinden? 

Can SONOS give its loyal suffering customers any hope for the future, possibly a road map to sort out this dreadful application? I have all the problems listed above, and am still hanging on in hope SONOS will sort out their mess?

This latest app release if TERRIBLE. My system is barely usable and terribly frustrating. UX is TERRIBLE. I’m about to carry my JBL boombox around the house and yard and just use Spotify. Roll it back! Please!

HAS ANYONE RECEIVED ANY RESPONSE FROM SONOS??? What the hell is going on with them? 

Sonos has taken an app that worked well 85% of the time to one that is virtually unusable. I was looking at upgrading to the newest speakers (x8) but now considering dumping the system and going with something else if this isn’t resolved quickly.

I have the same problems and the new app absolutely sucks.

HAS ANYONE RECEIVED ANY RESPONSE FROM SONOS??? What the hell is going on with them? 

Here’s their published development roadmap, I’m just assuming you’ve not seen it before…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Spoke to Sonos over a month ago, told me app would be updated in a few weeks.  The agent acknowledged the many problems I am experiencing with the new Sonos app are happening to a large percentage of users.  And no, the app has not updated since.  Honestly the new Sonos app is without question the worst app I’ve ever used.  I used to believe Sonos to be a marquee brand but they have done terrible damage to their name with this roll out.  It was obviously not vetted, as there are too many problems to list.  From speaker delay to not accepting volume request (whether increase or decrease) to non-functionality with playlists, this new app is an embarrassment.  Sonos charges a lot of money for their products and now offers no functionality with the new app and zero effective support.  I am now forced to use the individual streaming apps (Spotify, Apple, Nugs, etc) on my iPhone to listen to music and stream via Bluetooth to my Sonos speakers.  I have NEVER experienced a brand I held in such high regard (I’ve owned Sonos products well over 20 years) take such a nosedive.  Perception is reality in business and marketing and my perception is that Sonos has shirked its responsibility to their consumer with this too early release of their new poorly designed and nonfunctioning app.  Just awful.

Spoke to Sonos over a month ago, told me app would be updated in a few weeks.  No, it did niot.  Honestly the new Sonos app is without question the worst app I’ve ever used.  I used to believe Sonos to be a marquee brand but they have done terrible damage to their name with this roll out.  Was obviously not vetted, as there are too many problems to list.  From speaker delay to not accepting volume request (whether increase or decrease) to non-functionality with playlsts, this new app is an embarrassment.  Sonos charges a lot of money for their products and now offers no functionality with the new app and zero effective support.  I am now forced to use the individual streaming apps (Spotify, Apple, Nugs, etc) to listen to music and stream via Bluetooth to my Sonos speakers.  I have NEVER experienced a brand I held in such high regard (I’ve owned Sonos products well over 20 years) take such a nosedive.  Perception is reality in business and marketing and my perception is that Sonos has shirked their responsibility to their consumer with the too early release of their new poorly designed and nonfunctioning app.  

Whilst the new app is still rather lacking in features and functionality, it is untrue that Sonos has failed to update the app in the last month. You claim “Spoke to Sonos over a month ago, told me app would be updated in a few weeks.  No, it did niot.” In fact there have been several software releases in the last month, detailed here in the release notes:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/release-notes-for-sonos-software-updates

Please, let’s keep honest about the shortcomings of the app, or the complaints can too easily be dismissed.