Skip to main content

new app update is SLOW. SLOW. SLOW!!!!

Before I get into how SLOW it is, let’s talk about the interface - TERRIBLE.  
Alarm - missing.  

Search - terrible.

play list maintenance- missing

i completely regret adding multiple SONOs devices to my home.

hey SONOS -  get your act together and FIX IT!

I have used the Sonos system since the early days with the original CR 100 controller. Over the years the system response time, and manner, has steadily improved and I was actually pretty happy until now. However, this new interface is an unmitigated disaster. I have grown up with traditional IR remotes and used to instant response when I push a button, which really should be the minimum standard required. The app update is awfully slow to load content when it wakes - it is obviously totally overblown in its ambition level of all bells and whistles. It doesn't instantly react to volume level changes. It can take up to 10 seconds before it accepts any user input. At times it tells me it doesn't recognize me and asks for a Sonos log-in which is just crazy. The Sonos team has some serious work to sort out this mess. You have basically launched a poor beta app to the world wide user group. Yikes.    

This is it for me. I am replacing my Sonos system as soon as possible. 

Sonos support, totally silent on this? Let us know you hear us and are working to fix this. You've really let your customers down.

Sonos will lost customer, yesterday I should bourght speaker for outside, I went with Samsung the Sonos app was a downgrade for me, I cannot use my own library 

The Sonospad add is pretty good. Even assuming Sonos fix their own app, I’ll probably continue to use Sonospad for the stuff that it does. for basic queue manipulation and search it’s better than Sonos S2 was back when it worked.

Sonos support, totally silent on this? Let us know you hear us and are working to fix this. You've really let your customers down.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

The Sonospad add is pretty good. Even assuming Sonos fix their own app, I’ll probably continue to use Sonospad for the stuff that it does. for basic queue manipulation and search it’s better than Sonos S2 was back when it worked.

Agree - and it can even load and save Sonos Playlists.  I wish I’d known about this sooner.  It's better than the S2 app was with a more sensible layout.  And I don’t even bother with the new SONOS app.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

It’s not better with this update :(

Agree - and it can even load and save Sonos Playlists.  I wish I’d known about this sooner.  It's better than the S2 app was with a more sensible layout.  And I don’t even bother with the new SONOS app.

Get an lottery ticket you are lucky

Agreed - Sonos really screwed the pooch this time. I’ve been considering purchasing a few more units (currently have some Play 1s, Play 3s and a Beam) but at this point I’ll be replacing everything with some kind of alternative.

App is painfully slow - multiple minutes to change volume - in fact up to 3 minutes to execute some commands - FFS was this even tested?

App has opened a hole into the network just to allow me to manipulate my speakers when I’m not home - WTF??? I’d like to see the justification for enabling a potential network breach so I can adjust a music system remotely - the mind boggles.

Sonos - you had one job - multi room audio - stop trying to solve every corner case and just do your one job. Keep it simple.

Agreed - Sonos really screwed the pooch this time. I’ve been considering purchasing a few more units (currently have some Play 1s, Play 3s and a Beam) but at this point I’ll be replacing everything with some kind of alternative.

App is painfully slow - multiple minutes to change volume - in fact up to 3 minutes to execute some commands - FFS was this even tested?

App has opened a hole into the network just to allow me to manipulate my speakers when I’m not home - WTF??? I’d like to see the justification for enabling a potential network breach so I can adjust a music system remotely - the mind boggles.

Sonos - you had one job - multi room audio - stop trying to solve every corner case and just do your one job. Keep it simple.

Wow - Maybe I just got a reaction from Sonos. I had some music playing on one speaker and went into the app to stop it. App can’t see the speaker. Waited multiple minutes then just unplugged the speaker to make it stop. Maybe I’ve upset the Sonos folks… :|

Is there a way to roll back to the old app? This app is extremely slow and keeps moaning about the system. It’s horrible. 

The board of directors needs to fire the entire App division.  HR needs to be a little more aware of future employee developer skills.  Either way, somebody is asleep at the wheel.  Listen to these community comments and reverse engineer an App that functions real time.

When I need to turn down the volume, it's easier and faster to rip out the plugs than restarting the app hoping it wakes-up.  Most unreliable App version ever!

New update is trash. I’m gonna sell all my Sonos gear and get myself something else. Volume control will not respond search is useless. Total joke. The hardware is amazing I have spent thousands of dollars on it and love the sound. But it’s now garbage because I can’t use basic volume control. The software team must have made a deal with Google. Fire all of them and give your costumers the S2 app back. 

I’m getting used to the layout of the new app but it is SO SLOW!!! 

very frustrating. 
please fix this Sonos! 
I’ve been a Sonos user for 10yrs and rode many waves from different apps and changes but this is pretty bad. 

In terms of slow moving / jumping volume control, I experience this but only on my older devices (Connect:amps) and not on any of my newer devices.  It may be the app at fault, or the age / limitations of the older devices, or a combination of the two.  In general I find my system gets more and more reliable as I swap out the older Connects for new kit, and this was the case with the ‘old’ S2 app, as well as the new one.  

Agree to all the above. 

speed and simplicity above all. 

is it possible to downgrade the app?

Sonos, please consider downgrading the app. So the users are happy again.  Then spent some more time to develop the new app. Then first pilot this before releasing. Don’t understand why is this new app not tested?

@Patrick Spence !!! This latest update to your app is rendering the hardware we own useless. Not sure who runs this team but they need replacing immediately. The sonos hardware is great, but if you cannot control it with the applications you may as well throw your company away, we welcome its replacement.

If this is the same leader who told you the all legacy hardware would be useless as it would not work with the new app/ features, leading to the S1 and S2 launch and the public apology you had to give in 2020… maybe it’s you that needs to consider stepping down and we should be writing to Julius.

In the hope you are already in the throes of fixing this situation, an update to your community, the very people that keep your company alive would be appreciated.

Volume is slow and unacceptable. Sonos please fix this and do an update.

Stop adding features that nobody ever asked for and get the basics right. You used to be a good company. What the hell happened? 

I have 19 Sonos devices in my house. 19! I'm genuinely considering moving away from Sonos it's got that bad. 

First time ever reacting to an online topic. But Sonos what the f r you doing. The delay with pressing a song and it actually playing is 35 seconds?? S***load of errors throughout. Fix your s*** asap! Oh btw once of a sudden one of the rear play 1 stopped playing and 20 min later suddenly connected again 🤣 i never had any issues until this s*** update! 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Thank god I’m not the only one that is experiencing this. It’s simply awful! Too slow to be usable. I wish there was a way to roll it back on iPhone.

Agree to all the above. 

speed and simplicity above all. 

is it possible to downgrade the app?

Yes.  Both Android and IOS.  IOS is trickier and you need a windows machine.

Just my opinion, but I reckon they've implemented a significant part, if not all of the new app in a 'cloud' and did not have the expertise to do this correctly.

Depending on how and where it has been deployed and where you are may explain the sluggish behaviour for some users whereas others are ok.

There's nothing wrong with a cloud deployment but it has to be done correctly.