Skip to main content
Answered

New App "Lost" my Music Library after update

I’ve just updated to the new Sonos app.  It “lost” access to my Music Library during the Update and no longer gives the option to access it in Manage My system.  What’s going on Guys?  Have you lost the plot?

No, it would appear not

I checked my Sonos system last night and my personal iTunes library is still not available. A past post said that this capability would be added back mid-June 2024. 

Sonos has been silent on if or when they will enable access to personal iTunes libraries. Maybe no one at Sonos is reading these posts?????  

How are you adding your library location (music folder) to the system? In the desktop app there are 3 options for adding a folder. The first two (“my music folder” and “another folder or drive”) are no longer supported. Only the third option (“networked device”) will be supported going forward. Note, this third option isn’t limited to NAS devices. You can use with regular Windows and Mac folders by first creating network shares/paths from those folders and then adding those paths. Sonos now has updated documentation for this.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

I can live with having to use the laptop to manage the personal library, but not having a scroll bar on the music library in the app is a nightmare! Please reinstate asap!

I can consider this solved because I am now selling off all of my Sonos speakers. I'm not enabling network sharing just to have my library back. What an incredibly stupid move on Sonos behalf. Hands down THE worst company I've ever dealt with in 52 years of life. I'm out. I hope others follow and that Sono goes bankrupt.

I can live with having to use the laptop to manage the personal library, but not having a scroll bar on the music library in the app is a nightmare! Please reinstate asap!

You will likely be able to search it at some point as that’s on the Sonos roadmap according to this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Thank you, yes I saw that. It doesn't actually say, but hopefully the scroll bar will be reinstated, as well as search

I can consider this solved because I am now selling off all of my Sonos speakers. I'm not enabling network sharing just to have my library back. What an incredibly stupid move on Sonos behalf. Hands down THE worst company I've ever dealt with in 52 years of life. I'm out. I hope others follow and that Sono goes bankrupt.

You've always had network sharing enabled.  How else was another device on your network able to play files off your computer?  

You've always had network sharing enabled.  How else was another device on your network able to play files off your computer?  

Network sharing is and always has been disabled in my windows settings. Also the appropriate services disabled. Only thing I ever did was grant the Windows Sonos app permissions in my firewall settings and use the default Windows music directory.

I've tried restoring Windows default settings and disabled services turned back on... Along with every "fix" listed here and no dice. No access to my library and I no longer have a use for any of this stuff.

Sonos is getting worse and worse...No i did not get a worse internet-connection. Even adding WIFI-amplifier, the SONOS service was better before without amplifier. I cannot add songs to speakers. I cannot see content. I cannot see my services. Really i can’t do anything with it really. Fix it please.

The Sonos App works okay here - and local library playback too (see attached)… I’m guessing that some users perhaps maybe having some difficulty sharing folders & files to make them accessible over their LAN direct to their Sonos players using SMB v2 (or higher)… If so, maybe see these links below. They’re fairly straightforward to follow and help setup a share using a PC/Mac and have worked for other users. There are screenshots,  or a video, to follow too…

Anyhow, I hope the above helps.👍

I suspect its all linked to a decision as to whether or not the desktop app should continue to be supported. I’m guessing a relatively small number of users actually use the desktop app on a regular basis so they’ve decided to drop it, which probably does make sense from resources management perspective. A consequence is the method of adding a Windows/Mac-based folder where Sonos configures things for you in the background can no longer be supported going forward (as that method depends on the desktop app).

To each their own of course, but I don’t really understand the strong objection to configuring your own network share. These are network-connected speakers/devices we’re dealing with, so a requirement to use a standard network file sharing protocol to connect the system to local music library isn’t so unreasonable IMO. For me, the big issue is Sonos has done a terrible job warning users in advance (they should have given 6-12 months warning about various local library changes) and in guiding users through the transition.  

Network sharing is and always has been disabled in my windows settings. Also the appropriate services disabled. Only thing I ever did was grant the Windows Sonos app permissions in my firewall settings and use the default Windows music directory.

I've tried restoring Windows default settings and disabled services turned back on... Along with every "fix" listed here and no dice. No access to my library and I no longer have a use for any of this stuff.

Well guess what?  That permission change enabled network sharing.  It wasn’t SMB, which is why it showed SMB was off, but HTTP sharing was on, or else Sonos could never play your files.  

Well guess what?  That permission change enabled network sharing.  It wasn’t SMB, which is why it showed SMB was off, but HTTP sharing was on, or else Sonos could never play your files.  

Tell me you don't know what you're taking about without telling me you don't know what you're talking about.

Tell me you don't know what you're taking about without telling me you don't know what you're talking about.

Dumb cliche answer instead of actual rebuttal says it all.

Lost all my music on Sonos , all my itunes and downloads 

Lost all my music on Sonos , all my itunes and downloads 

I am still not able to get Sonos to find my music. Sonos has really lost my confidence. My work around is to use iTunes to air play to one of the two speakers that have that ability, then pair that speaker with the room I am in and mute the speaker I can air play to. The good news is I can now play all of my music that Sonos couldn’t play before due to playlist size or protected files and the annoying drop outs I had before are gone. 

I am still not able to get Sonos to find my music. Sonos has really lost my confidence. My work around is to use iTunes to air play to one of the two speakers that have that ability, then pair that speaker with the room I am in and mute the speaker I can air play to. The good news is I can now play all of my music that Sonos couldn’t play before due to playlist size or protected files and the annoying drop outs I had before are gone. 

In my own case the new App works fine with my local library - I’m using SMB v2 - v3 (assigned for use with the client dynamically). Not seen any issues with discovery or playback.

Just another adding ‘me too’.

It didn’t happen after the original update but this morning I couldn’t find my NAS library and lo and behold it had disappeared, forgotten. Added again now.

Arrrggghhh

Exactly the same problem, and even Sonos support (taking remote control of my Mac) couldn’t solve the problem. Has anyone found a work around?

Those still having issues, are you definitely using a supported method when trying to connect your library?

Confusingly, the Sonos desktop app still allows users to attempt to connect their library using methods which are now unsupported, which will result in errors or issues. But what is and isn’t supported is explained in the following: https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/error-913-when-adding-a-music-library-share

Maybe if those experiencing the issue perhaps mention their make/model of NAS and what the NAS is connected to, then perhaps that might lead to finding some common denominator.

Those still having issues, are you definitely using a supported method when trying to connect your library?

Confusingly, the Sonos desktop app still allows users to attempt to connect their library using methods which are now unsupported, which will result in errors or issues. But what is and isn’t supported is explained in the following: https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/error-913-when-adding-a-music-library-share

Thanks OSM! That worked. I’m back up and running. Odd that Sonos support couldn’t advise it….?

All worked fine until the software update. Since I am unable to access/load my Itunes library and am only able to play my music using ApplePlay for the speakers that have that capability installed. After hours of waiting to get to a helper and more on the call I was told all would be fixed by mid-June. Hasn’t happened. All I want to do is snyc my Itunes library with Sonos so I am not maintaining two databases. Any ideas?

All worked fine until the software update. Since I am unable to access/load my Itunes library and am only able to play my music using ApplePlay for the speakers that have that capability installed. After hours of waiting to get to a helper and more on the call I was told all would be fixed by mid-June. Hasn’t happened. All I want to do is snyc my Itunes library with Sonos so I am not maintaining two databases. Any ideas?

Right so my Music Library disappeared again.

Added again via the Windows desktop app.

I’ve got an old(ish) Synology DS216J. Looks like the settings are ‘max SMB’ is v2 and minimum is V1. I think I may try changing it to max version 3 and min version 2.