Skip to main content
Answered

New App "Lost" my Music Library after update

I’ve just updated to the new Sonos app.  It “lost” access to my Music Library during the Update and no longer gives the option to access it in Manage My system.  What’s going on Guys?  Have you lost the plot?

Sonos software updates regularly (every 4 or 5 months) disconnect my Dell desktop iTunes library which is the primary use of Sonos in my home. The polite Manila based help desk team has no idea how to repair this reoccurring problem. Yesterday I waited 75 minutes for a help desk person only to determine after 30 minutes that she had no idea how to solve my problem. 

Can anyone recommend a replacement system for my Sonos problem?

Same as many others on this thread, very disappointed in the loss of mapping to my music but more importantly, the ability to re-add it. I certainly hope this is fixed in short order.

I agree it’s scandalous that Sonos have denied this access

I had this problem and solved this simply by doing as described

Are you getting a problem connecting to the Music folder on your Window PC so unable to stream the music you have stored? Especially if you have placed your Music folder on your D drive (so you don’t fill up you smaller SSD C drive) 

Open Windows Explorer and you should see the music folder. Right click on the Music folder icon and select Properties. Select the Location tab and you should see where Windows thinks your music is stored. If it is incorrect select Find Target and find where you have stored your Music folder. Select the location and click on apply.

The Sonos app should then be able to read your Music library.

If only the Sonos support team said to try this activity first it would have saved a whole lot of pain.

Went from Gold app to Black app and lost my music and options.  When will this be fixed?

Here is the current information shared by Sonos:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

I’ve just updated to the new Sonos app.  It “lost” access to my Music Library during the Update and no longer gives the option to access it in Manage My system.  What’s going on Guys?  Have you lost the plot?

Nick, I’ve also lost all but one playlist (no clue how it survived) and can’t make any new ones. Rather than wait for Sonos to fix it, I recommend getting Roon, a third-party system that does everything the Sonos app used to do and much more. It will even generate playlists for you, based on the first song you play. There is a 14-day free trial then it’s about $15 a month with no commitment. I just got it today and am really impressed. It should tide me over until Sonos fixes what they broke. I don’t trust them anymore and I won’t be surprised if they fail to come through with the promised mid-June update.

I had this problem and solved this simply by doing as described

Are you getting a problem connecting to the Music folder on your Window PC so unable to stream the music you have stored? Especially if you have placed your Music folder on your D drive (so you don’t fill up you smaller SSD C drive) 

Open Windows Explorer and you should see the music folder. Right click on the Music folder icon and select Properties. Select the Location tab and you should see where Windows thinks your music is stored. If it is incorrect select Find Target and find where you have stored your Music folder. Select the location and click on apply.

The Sonos app should then be able to read your Music library.

If only the Sonos support team said to try this activity first it would have saved a whole lot of pain.

This is a promising solution, thank you but when I tried it, the “Apply” button was greyed out as soon as I tried to enter any target location for my iTunes folder on 😨.  Can you comment on what might be preventing this option from working?  Many thanks.

Come on Sonos

I want my Playlists and I want to add Songs to my Queue.

What have you done! I’m not happy. 

Will be off somewhere else If not sorted soon.

I have the exact same problem.  My entire CD collection is stored on local NAS, and it’s unavailable to stream through my expensive speakers.  Very disappointing.

It’s odd. My entire (iTunes) collection is on an older WD NAS. A while ago, in order to use S2, I had to go into the settings for the NAS to tell it to use SMB v2 (or I think by that time, v3, I don’t recall), and I’ve not had any significant issues for playback since then, including when Sonos released v80.x of their app. Granted. I lost the ability to search that library, but playback has not been affected. 

Reverted the complete * new Android app to the prior one. Okay. All is good. However, the Sonos app for Windows update * everything up for good. My entire library is now completely gone, the Windows app gives an error and won’t let me add my music folder back, and the web app does not have any option at all to add to library, and the old Android app won’t let you manage your library without updating…. but when you update there is no option for libraries. LMAO. Pathetic.

There is now zero point in owning these speakers. Without access to my entire music library they are useless.

Edit: Just got the notification that libraries (amongst other things) should be functional again mid-June. Why they released the new app in this severely broken and non functional state is beyond comprehension. Just another example of bad decision after bad decision after bad decision on behalf of the Sonos app devs. The apps and controller fw should be rolled back until the new app is actually ready for release. This rollout has been THE worst yet.

I will NEVER recommend Sonos products to anyone. In fact, I will tell everyone I know to never buy this garbage and to look on the forms and Google Play Store reviews for all the proof needed.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

It’s 24 June. Still no music library. Time to start a campaign. I’ve spent 1000s on Sonos kit and now it is no better than Alexa. TERRIBLE. The MD needs sacking.

Music library is back!!!

However, no scroll bar. Making very difficult when you have hundreds of artists, thousands of albums! Very annoying to the point of unusable

Music library is back!!!

However, no scroll bar. Making very difficult when you have hundreds of artists, thousands of albums! Very annoying to the point of unusable

Did you manage to re-add the library? Btw, the mobile app doesn't have this option.

Library was automatically back, didn't need to do anything. This was on the mobile app (android).

Library was automatically back, didn't need to do anything. This was on the mobile app (android).

But if you remove the path, would you be able to add it back again? I cannot add my network attached HD drive.

AFAIK, Sonos haven't added this function back since that lackluster update.

No, it would appear not

But if you remove the path, would you be able to add it back again? I cannot add my network attached HD drive.

Do you not have access to a Windows or Mac computer? The ability to add/edit library path hasn’t yet been added to the new mobile app (due to be added in July I believe), but you can still use the desktop app to add/edit library path.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/use-a-nas-drive-with-sonos

Do you not have access to a Windows or Mac computer? The ability to add/edit library path hasn’t yet been added to the new mobile app (due to be added in July I believe), but you can still use the desktop app to add/edit network path to your library.

I know. But I want to have access to my library from anywhere, hence the setup (Network attached storage via router USB port)

I know. But I want to have access to my library from anywhere, hence the setup (Network attached storage via router USB port)

When you add a path you’re not adding it just to a specific controller/app. You’re adding it to the Sonos system itself (the OS running on the Sonos hardware). If you add the path to the system via the desktop app you should be able to access the library via the mobile app, assuming your network share is still supported by the system.

In your case, its possible your network share is an SMBv1 share, which is no longer supported by Sonos. If you haven't done so already look at your router settings to see if you can establish what protocol is being used to share the usb drive to the network. If its SMBv1 see if you can disable that and switch to SMBv2 or higher. If SMBv2 or higher isn’t supported by your router you’ll need to move your library to another device that does support SMBv2 or higher. Unlike the ability to manage the library path from the mobile app, SMBv1 support won’t be coming back.

When you add a path you’re not adding it just to a specific controller/app. You’re adding it to the Sonos system itself (the OS running on the Sonos hardware). If you add the path to the system via the desktop app you should be able to access the library via the mobile app, assuming your network share is still supported by the system.

In your case, its possible your network share is an SMBv1 share, which is no longer supported by Sonos. If you haven't done so already look at your router settings to see if you can establish what protocol is being used to share the usb drive to the network. If its SMBv1 see if you can disable that and switch to SMBv2 or higher. If SMBv2 or higher isn’t supported by your router you’ll need to move your library to another device that does support SMBv2 or higher. Unlike the ability to manage the library path from the mobile app, SMBv1 support won’t be coming back.

My router supports both protocols. I tried both. The problem is not with this. All my other devices can see that share, apart from Sonos.

Ok. I found the way how to add a network attached HDD. Previously, we had to write \\wd\Music and this worked. Now you need to write (depends on you router and path): 192.168.1.1\wd\Music

*WD is my HDD drive name attached to the router USB port.

Ok. I found the way how to add a network attached HDD. Previously, we had to write \\wd\Music and this worked. Now you need to write (depends on you router and path): 192.168.1.1\wd\Music

*WD is my HDD drive name attached to the router USB port.

Edit: I mean \\192.168.1.1\wd\Music

No, it would appear not

I checked my Sonos system last night and my personal iTunes library is still not available. A past post said that this capability would be added back mid-June 2024. 

Sonos has been silent on if or when they will enable access to personal iTunes libraries. Maybe no one at Sonos is reading these posts?????  

I checked my Sonos system last night and my personal iTunes library is still not available. A past post said that this capability would be added back mid-June 2024. 

Sonos has been silent on if or when they will enable access to personal iTunes libraries. Maybe no one at Sonos is reading these posts?????  

You can add it back right now if you use the Sonos app for PC/Mac.  Here’s the instructions:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos