Sonos no longer recognizing folder.jpg for cover art?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

126 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yeah, I have had occasional situations before where I have not have cover art, but they have been occasional, and they have resolved reasonably fast without any obvious intervention.

Badge +1

I too have been forced to “join the club” of missing album artwork, although not all of mine is missing.

I’ve submitted diagnostics as suggested - 1368183005

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I’m having the missing artwork issue since updating this week too. I’ve submitted a diagnostic and will be grateful for any help in fixing: 1901349414.

(It really pushes one of my buttons when an update decreases functionality or breaks something...it makes me furious!)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I'm having the same issue, too along with other ones as detailed here.

I've submitted a diagnostic as well: 1015557073.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Album art issue is definitely still present in 13.4.1. Also, Sonos no longer switches to Dark Mode to match Android, and the Appearance setting that's supposed to control this has vanished. Thus far, not impressed with 13.4.1.

Synolgy NAS

I’ve noticed this name come up a couple of times in this thread.

I’m in the same boat, no album art showing when the files do not have embedded art, only a folder.jpg.

I’m also using Synology.

Is this maybe some strange edge-case incompatibility with Synology kit, or is it just that us “dinosaurs” :laughing: as a group tend to use Synology?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Not the case here, my files are hosted on a hard drive served via SMB on a dedicated raspberry pi. So rest assured, I don't think it's your NAS's fault 🤣😖 It also wouldn't explain why embedded stuff loads and folder.jpg stuff doesn't....

In the case of Synology, make sure that it is set to use only SMB1.

I would agree with Stanley_4 that this is likely to be a firmware issue. I have the same issue on both of my Android devices.  My phone is running App v13.3.2 and my tablet is running App v13.4 which suggests it is not a software issue. Note that v13.3.2 ran okay on both devices until the v13.4 release dated 16th Nov '21 which updated both software and firmware.

I 'm not sure what has changed but my set-up has started showing the folder.jpg artwork again. Many thanks to whoever sorted this issue out.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

No changes here, still not showing artwork.

I’m also not using a Synology NAS - I’m running an external hdd attached to a Raspberry Pi, this is definitely not just a Synology issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yes, I see cover art after the update. Now, the past weeks it has been on and off, so it may be a bit too early to say for sure. However, I also see cover art when browsing albums, which I never did with 13.4 (unless I disabled SMB2/3 on the NAS). But as florismk notes, the cover art is coming quite slowly. I don’t have any issue with dark mode on my Andriod phone.

And, yes, the installation of the Windows controller rebooted Windows, without giving a warning.

Are you running SMB1 exclusively on the Pi?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Yes, I see cover art after the update. Now, the past weeks it has been on and off, so it may be a bit too early to say for sure.

You're right: let's not get ahead of ourselves. We'd better see how things develop. I'm optimistic, though.

And, yes, the installation of the Windows controller rebooted Windows, without giving a warning.

That's strange, my Windows 11 PC didn't reboot after having updated the Sonos Desktop Controller. It never has, I add, after a Sonos update.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Er, I’m not sure. I’m running Open Media Vault, and once I set it up, I just left it: I’m not technically experienced enough to mess about with it or remember.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

This thing with the Sonos installation rebooting Windows have been there for a long time, but it is not always happening. I raise a thread on it a couple of years back, but there was little reaction.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Just like only_sleeping, I don't know. All that I know is that my Sonos system has always shown cover art and after installing app version 13.4 it's gone. Nothing but the software changed. Since then: no more cover art, not on my Windows 11 PC, not on my iPhone XS Max, not on my wife's iPad.

I think the reason there’s been little reaction is that it’s a unique (well, at least very small) issue with something on your specific computer, and not something that occurs to the vast majority of users. And as such, likely extremely hard to track down without lots of specific data from your computer. And some of that data may not show up in a diagnostic, I’d think, because those are focused on the operation of Sonos, and not the actual install process.

If I were to hazard a guess, and I emphasize the randomness here, it could be an issue with a .dll not being properly updated/initialized, etc.  And since it’s not technically with the Sonos app itself, it’s not showing up in the diagnostics. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I'm running my music library on a WD My Cloud - same issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Several contributors have raised the Synology question. 

I have a Western Digital MyCloud Home NAS. And no cover art, so the NAS is not the culprit.

Having the same issue… After last update no cover art visible! I tried all tips I found here, no success… Should be something connected to last update…

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

In the case of Synology, make sure that it is set to use only SMB1.

So if I use the NAS for more things than just Sonos, everything else will have to suffer, because Sonos is crippled?

Actually, last time I had an issue, I think support told me that I should permit SMB1 and SMB2. (And at the time, I only had SMB1 permitted.)

Given that for me, the cover art is on and off, but more off than on, it seems that there is a change which raises the threshold for covert art to be displayed. Whether this is intentional or not is another matter.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I just talked to Dutch Support, they weren't aware of the problem and they had me run some tests (restarting the system, rebooting the Sonos boxes, copying a music folder with folder.jpg to a different location and re-indexing) but nothing helped. They escalated the problem. If I have any news I'll let you know.

Thanks for taking the time to talk with Support! I can’t say that I fancy to go through all the above.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Well rats, no art here.

I’ve been checking for updates and it finally showed up so I updated. Didn’t get album art.

Reset the SMB server to SMB 3 and verified my connection as SMB3_02. Still no art.

Did a reindex. Still no art.

Power-cycled one speaker, the one I was connected to. Still no art.

Sigh… Life has other demands so I’m out for a while.

I’ve been talking to Sonos Support (chat, then a person) regarding my music library’s external album art not displaying on either Sonos S2 on iOS or Sonos on Windows. The apps will display album art embedded into the library’s music files, sometimes. Sonos S2 13.4 on iOS, and 13.4 firmware on the Sonos devices. It is my belief that this occurred either on the 13.4 update, or possibly the one before. For the record, my music library is being served up by a Synology NAS that has had the relevant tweaks applied for the Sonos kit to be able to talk to it. Album art has been almost completely reliable for several years, up until a recent Sonos update.

The support representative acknowledged that there have been many reports of this, is going to escalate this to the relevant Sonos teams, and that I can expect an update or resolution soon (he mentioned to check in a couple of days).