Sonos no longer recognizing folder.jpg for cover art?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

126 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Still no music library cover art here. No problems with Amazon’s art.

I did reboot the file server. No change.

Power cycled my Beam (but not Sub or Surrounds.) No change.

Power cycled a single One SL. No change.

Restarted Controller, on Android tablet. No change.

Rebooting all Sonos is a massive PITA as many power cords are buried so I’m skipping that for now.

Spouse is using the network so a router reboot is out for a few hours, I’ll try that tonight.

Diagnostic if that helps anything: 1545282987

It may pay to keep track of the “Associated Product” from About My System. Occasionally, check this player’s network connection for long PING times and dropped packets. If this player is struggling, the artwork fetch might time out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Rebooting router didn’t get the album art back.

Dropping the music library, re-indexing and re-adding did nothing.

I hope Support can see something in the diagnostic I sent in.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I am in the same boat. Having just purged all embedded artwork from my library (due to its inability to load faster than a particularly arthritic sloth) to replace with a folder.jpg model, I thought I finally had reliable cover art loading. And I did - until the latest update. Now, no matter what I try I get no cover art from local library sources. I’ve done the power cycle, I’ve rebooted the router, I’ve investigated wireless channel interference, yet the only thing that has changed on my setup is the most recent Sonos update. I’ll be following this thread with interest (and general annoyance) to see what feedback is received.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

The update from my corner is that while I did get back the cover art after rebooting the router, the effect only lasted for a few hours. Now I’m back on the situation where folder.jpg does not display, while embedded ones do, if with some delay.

I should add that I have fixed IP addresses for all Sonos devices. Only one of them is directly connected to the router, and that is by cable. None is connected by WiFi.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

The update from my corner is that while I did get back the cover art after rebooting the router, the effect only lasted for a few hours. Now I’m back on the situation where folder.jpg does not display, while embedded ones do, if with some delay.

I should add that I have fixed IP addresses for all Sonos devices. Only one of them is directly connected to the router, and that is by cable. None is connected by WiFi.

It does indeed sound like we are in the same position, the only difference being I have a Boost wired into the network and not a speaker. Hopefully someone from Sonos will be able to provide some more clarity on the situation :tired_face:

Yep, same problem here.

folder.jpg not showing on either the Windows desktop controller or the Android app.

Just started very recently.

It took me a while to work out that albums with embedded art versus just a folder.jpg were what was making art visible or not :frowning2:

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Same here: no album covers to be seen on iPhone XS Max (iOS 15.1) and Windows 11 PC (Sonos S2, 13.4).

Diagnostic number: 1139511221

Badge

Yep, 

Haven't posted since just after 14.4. 14.6 by comparison seems much better for Android when it comes to owns canned album art. Spotify etc was never an issue.

A better experience all together. 

Just for info... I set scanner to scan just slightly larger than booklet and 800 dpi. Then use MS Paint to crop square and reduce pixels to 600 x 600 which gives me final image anything. between 200 - 300 kb. Good for ipad and Android phone which is what mainly use. Looks as sharp as Spotify images to my eyes. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

And now, without restarting anything, I suddenly see the cover art again. What I did do was to the music from from one zone to another as I went into that room and then I moved the music back when I was done. Exactly when the cover art started to appear, I don’t know.

It seems quite obvious that Sonos made some changes, but it is not as simple as that they are ignoring folder.jpg, but something more subtle. Maybe threshold for when to display or ignore has changed?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Problem solved with the latest update version 14.6

Looks like it's much, much less erratic in this version.

Came here to post that I had a one-time succes in 14.4, album art loading like lightning while scrolling through the album art, only to disappear again upon scrolling back up.

In 14.4, scrolling down loads almost all artwork, and scrolling back up does so as well.

Some albums still get skipped, and I don’t think it was a sensible design choice to load the entire list of album art when I rapidly scroll several screens down (why not load only the artwork needed in the visible bit of the list?). And they're still not caching album art, but reloading. And in the little play bar, album art doesn't load at all, even when I expand it, click through to the track list, and allow the art work to load for all tracks. (Oddly enough, when I return to the album list and scroll dozens of screens up to see the album that's currently in the playlist, the album art for that album alone does display, even as I wait tens of seconds for the other artwork to show up--that's loading from the bottom.)

Who knows, maybe they got it licked?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I'm not entirely sure why this has been marked as answered, or why the answer that has been flagged is even helpful.....

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Nor am I. I’m also puzzled that someone else than me (since I started the thread) can mark something as the best answer. I guess that Spunk accidently pressed the wrong button. Since the issue is by no means resolved, is there any chance that you can revert your action?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I'm not entirely sure why this has been marked as answered, or why the answer that has been flagged is even helpful.....

I've asked the moderators to remove this Best Answer.

I guess that Spunk accidently pressed the wrong button.

No, it wasn’t me. And I would be very surprised if someone other than the thread starter or a moderator could do that.

Userlevel 1

Same issue here! The artwork loads intermittently in the queue but never in the now playing screen.

Tried different wireless channels and a router reboot but no luck.

Is there any benefit in submitting a diagnostic?

Is there any benefit in submitting a diagnostic?

Yes, a diagnostic and follow-up with support creates an ‘incident’. Corporations track incidents and respond by allocating resources to reduce support costs. Plus, the additional diagnostic contributes to a wider variety of cases to study.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Can confirm @beynym's update: update 13.4.1 was offered (Android controller, Windows controller, and system). Album art still erratic though. Slow to load and far from complete in the Android controller, very slow to load but eventually complete, apparently, in the Windows controller. 

It may be significant that my Windows controller is connected to the Beam, which lies in close proximity to my router, while the Android controller insists on being connected to the One, which is much further away.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

But is there any point with sending diagnostics alone? The problem I have with calling support is the time it takes. Here in Sweden there is typical a waiting time of ten minutes or more, and it is only available 10-18, and that’s when I’m at work. Yes, I work from home, but still I’m at work, and I can’t bill my client for talking to Sonos.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Sounds promising! I will have to find a spot for upgrading the system. That is, I need to close down stuff on my Windows machine, in case the upgrade decides to reboot Windows. Which it often does - without asking.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Send the diagnostics and post the number here, Support will usually find the issue and respond. If we haven’t seen anything back by Monday we can request that Support staff look at the topic.

I just realized I have an un-updated controller on the Windows box I use for updating the Honda, firing it up now to see what it looks like there. And on Windows the 13.3 controller shows no artwork from the Music Library.

I doubt it is a delay issue here, I have my setup on SonosNet with 2 Wired Beams and a wired Arc. Channel utilization is 20-25% according to my RF monitor. This setup has not changed for many months now.

I have tried both a SonosNet connected Beam as well as an Ethernet wired Beam, both show the same symptoms. The Wired Beam and controllers are all on the same Gigabit switch.

Checking my Linux (non-Sonos) controller shows no artwork on the Music Library either, since it connects to the player directly it points to being a firmware issue on the speakers, not a controller bug.

Running this on a Raspberry Pi: https://github.com/pascalopitz/unoffical-sonos-controller-for-linux

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Well, I've submitted diagnostics. Ref 1229186748, if anyone from Sonos is floating around 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Well, I've submitted diagnostics. Ref 1229186748, if anyone from Sonos is floating around 

Yeah, just like I did 20 hrs ago. Heard nothing back. Apparently no Sonos employee floating around. :worried:

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I’ve also submitted diagnostics, ref 1054140707.

Before I submitted diagnostics, the situation was that I had cover art in one of my Android controllers. That controller is connected to one of my Sonos Five. I did not have cover art on my other Android controller which is connected to one of my One SL. Nor did I have cover art in my Windows controller, despite that it is connected to the very Play3 which is connected by cable to my router.

Right after I had submitted diagnostics, cover art started to appear in the Windows controller, at least when I browse my imported playlists. I don’t seem to see it when I browse albums or artists. (And that is true also for the Android controller that I mentioned above.) Nothing changed on the Android controller without cover art.

It seems that my system is just around the threshold for cover art being served.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

There are still issues, if you look through my posts you will see that I have complained about artwork going awol a few times. Recently this has been much better but it can go slow. I have a mostly wired system and have submitted many diagnostics. Router reboots have sorted when no art appears at all, but slow artwork is an intermittent issue still.