Sonos no longer recognizing folder.jpg for cover art?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

126 replies

I’m having the exact same issue. Sonos is failing to display album art from NAS folders containing image files entitled “folder” or “cover.” I only see artwork if it’s embedded in the audio file metadata. Everything was perfect until the upgrade to 13.4.

Userlevel 2
Badge

It's a bug in the Sonos app, which I would be very happy to see fixed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Using a Raspberry Pi here.

from /etc/smb.conf

[global]

# enable v1 authentication for Sonos access
ntlm auth=yes

# enable v2 authentication
#min protocol = SMB2
#protocol = SMB2

[music]                                                                                 
Comment = Pi shared folder                                                              
Path = /mnt/ssd-music                                                                   
Browseable = yes                                                                        
Writeable = Yes                                                                         
only guest = no                                                                         
create mask = 0555                                                                      
directory mask = 0555                                                                   
Public = yes                                                                            
Guest ok = yes 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Using a Raspberry Pi here.

from /etc/smb.conf

[global]

# enable v1 authentication for Sonos access
ntlm auth=yes

# enable v2 authentication
#min protocol = SMB2
#protocol = SMB2

[music]                                                                                 
Comment = Pi shared folder                                                              
Path = /mnt/ssd-music                                                                   
Browseable = yes                                                                        
Writeable = Yes                                                                         
only guest = no                                                                         
create mask = 0555                                                                      
directory mask = 0555                                                                   
Public = yes                                                                            
Guest ok = yes 

How is this helping us to get back our cover art?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

How is this helping us to get back our cover art?

Up a few posts what connection settings were being used was asked for.

I can’t see it having any value to you, but maybe Sonos Support or the other poster may.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I surrender, temporarily, I finally gave up hope of ever seeing a ReBoot option come back and ordered some switched power cords from Amazon.

One more trip behind the heavy furniture, this time to install the switches instead of just un and re plugging my Sonos.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKND86/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We shall (in a few days) see if a full system reboot gets the new App to show cover art.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

This thread began 5 days ago. That must mean the problem of the disappearing cover art is at least a week old. Since then 8 people have sent in their diagnostics:
Stanley_4
beynym
Vegeta_UK
Erland Sommarskog
jkpalmer52
only_sleeping
Luc45
jreddaway
Still no reaction from Sonos, though. Question for those of Sonos who are following this: would it be possible to look at our diagnostics and let us know how Sonos is getting on with solving this problem?

Interesting. There was no mention of extended SMB support in the release notes, perhaps there was some last minute knowledge of a potential issue that kept them from exposing/raising hopes?

Have you tested with SMB v2 or even going back to SMB v1 to see if this issue is pervasive across all versions?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Interesting. There was no mention of extended SMB support in the release notes, perhaps there was some last minute knowledge of a potential issue that kept them from exposing/raising hopes?

Have you tested with SMB v2 or even going back to SMB v1 to see if this issue is pervasive across all versions?

I'd like to do that but I've got a Western Digital My Cloud Home that can not be configured. So testing is not possible. The only thing I noticed was that cover art does show in the controller apps from mp3's or flac's that have the image embedded.

Odd. I have been able to mess with the settings on my MyCloud NAS before, but am currently not at home due to the holiday here in the US to do any testing myself. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Odd. I have been able to mess with the settings on my MyCloud NAS before, but am currently not at home due to the holiday here in the US to do any testing myself. 

Apparently a MyCloud NAS is something quite different from a MyCloud Home NAS. If I'm mistaking, please show me how to configure my MyCloud Home. Always eager to learn...

As I said, I’m not at home to check, so it will need to wait till next week, and, as you say, my device is several years old, and is certainly possible that it has a different interface than yours. Unfortunately, in my opinion, Western Digital doesn’t do a tremendous job of differentiation when naming their devices, so it’s not always evident to a layman such as myself which interface is available for which device. 

That being said, when I get home on Monday I’ll definitely take a look. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Looking at my SMB (Linux Samba) server status I’m seeing this even though SMBv1 is enabled there: SMB3_02.  The smbstatus command should work on any Linux based server, it may need sudo/root to run.

If you can’t personally use the information please feel free to ignore it.

pi@pi-3b-2:~ $ sudo smbstatus

Samba version 4.9.5-Debian
PID     Username     Group        Machine                                   Protocol Version  Encryption           Signing              
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7412    nobody       nogroup      172.16.1.115 (ipv4:172.16.1.115:41484)    SMB3_02           -                    -                    

Service      pid     Machine       Connected at                     Encryption   Signing     
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
music        7412    172.16.1.115  Wed Nov 24 09:36:16 AM 2021 MST  -            -           

Locked files:
Pid          Uid        DenyMode   Access      R/W        Oplock           SharePath   Name   Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7412         65534      DENY_NONE  0x89        RDONLY     NONE             /mnt/ssd-music   Current/B/Beach Boys, The/20 Good Vibrations The Beach Boys Greatest Hits Volume 1/Beach Boys - 11 - Dance, Dance, Dance.flac   Wed Nov 24 09:36:16 2021

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Well, running with only SMB1 proved not to be a solution in my case. This morning I did not have a new set of imported playlists as I should have. (I generate a random selection every night and copy to the NAS). Troubleshooting revealed this error message from Windows:

You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack.
Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more info on resolving this issue, see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747

Hi all,

My Sonos recently stopped being able to play or index anything on my local network music file share. After some time with support, Sonos has confirmed to me via email that the 13.4 release contains SMBv2v3 support.

After further testing it’s clear that support for SMB v2v3 is buggy and resulted in my not being able to index music libraries or play anything on my file share over SMB. When I limit my server to only use SMB v1 Sonos is working fine again, but this is not a viable solution for me due to other clients that use the same file share.

I have already replied back to support with this information. If any others can confirm the same behavior, please contact Sonos as well with your details so they understand how widespread this problem is and can accelerate a solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I have already replied back to support with this information. If any others can confirm the same behavior, please contact Sonos as well with your details so they understand how widespread this problem is and can accelerate a solution.

I can confirm this buggy behavior. Since 13.4 my folder.jpg files sometimes (but not always) show themselves in the queue, sometimes (but not always) they pop up in the music library, sometimes (but not always) they can be seen in the desktop app but not in the cell phone app. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Is it unreasonable of me to expect that this error should have been fixed already? No official comment from Sonos or even a timeline for the fix either, means this all seems really poor on Sonos' part.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Chiming in late to the party to report that on my Synology Diskstation, I have the same issue, though oddly enough only in the Android controller; the Windows Desktop controller shows artwork. Full report here; diagnostics 89729938; thanks to @buzz for pointing me to this thread. I've set my NAS to use only SMBv1 (though I remember reading that this is unwise for security reasons). Album art is now showing up in the Android controller, after a library index refresh (same effect as right after I prioritized Sonos and phone in my Wifi router). Hoping for a quick fix, because if there is a security issue with SMBv1, I'd rather switch back soon.

What surprises me most about this issue is that the album art display was so erratic. Without closing the controller on my phone, over the course of the same day, I can see some artwork showing in the morning, disappearing in the afternoon, and showing again in the evening. I wonder why Sonos doesn't just have the controller cache the artwork? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

PS: Setting the NAS to use only SMBv1 did solve the album art issue. But in order to be able to access my NAS from Windows 10, I had to re-enable SMBv1 in the OS, and even then Windows had issues accessing the shared folders on the NAS. And with the strongly worded Microsoft blog piece on the reasons why we should no longer use SMBv1, I've decided to accept the album art issue for now, and wait for Sonos to fix the SMBv3 issue.

On the upside, did discover that my NAS was still set to support Apple and Linux protocols, so switched those off.

One of the issues on teams I’ve worked on is that often people forget to make allowances for what are considered in the US “non-standard” characters, such as many languages around the world actually use, and are considered “standard” there. 

Not sure whether that’s the case here, just an example of unintentional bias that might not be caught by the assumed “small” number of beta testers.

On the other hand, I think they knew there were potential issues and decided not to make a public announcement. There were many a time when I was unaware of issues, and made the announcement in public about the feature, only to be inundated with “but it doesn’t work on my machine” from many customers. My guess is that’s why there’s currently silence. They, at the last moment, figured out there were issues, and it was too late to pull back the release, but they were able to not make a public announcement around the feature. 

All of that blows up as soon as the phone folks have told people about the feature, as indicated in previous posts, but, at least in orgs I’ve been in, CS is a different group than forum support folks, so there could have been a message that got lost between the various groups as to whether or not to talk about it.

This is all speculation on my part, mind you, based on several decades of software experience. It could be something much more nefarious….but I just have a hard time believing Sonos would be intentionally screwing its customers. It’s bad business to do that. 

I get the feeling that we are ‘guinea pigs’ and used as an extended test group across different continents to escalate which features are mostly not working

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Contacted chat support to add my case to the growing body of issues. Support asked for new diagnostics, submitted 547048099. Keeping my original thread up-to-date as well.

Got another confirmation that the issue is related to SMB2/SMB3, and that engineers are working on a solution with an unknown ETA.

I unplugged all players. (But not the router, that makes no sense). I plugged them in again. I updated the music index. No change. Still no cover pixel art for albums where there is a single folder.jpg in the folder (as stated in the article buzz linked to).

So it seems like Sonos broke something. These are my zones:

A: 2 Play3 + 1 Sub (Gen one). One of the Play3 is connected with network cable to the router.

B: Port.

C: Two Sonos Five

D: Two Sonos One SL

E: Two Play1.

Thank you

Userlevel 1
Badge

Have you tried restarting NAS (I know many of us have them on constantly).

I have found that re-indexing Sonos Music Library via app sometimes is ineffective, if my QNAP hasn't had an update and consequent re-boot for a while…

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Contacted support again. Issue is known and still under investigation. 13.4.1 was not intended to contain a solution, it seems.

EDIT: And switching back to SMB1 doesn't seem to help any longer.