Answered

Album art displays erratically in Android app

• 28 November 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Display of album artwork in the Android app for my local music library is very erratic. The library is stored on my Synology NAS. I have 100% of my album artwork embedded in the files, in sufficiently small-sized jpg. Also, I have a folder.jpg in almost every album folder. None of the jpg artwork is progressive.

I've done a lot of experimentation with this subject, and have found:

1. Album art sometimes shows up in the app, but often doesn't. (In the Windows desktop app, all artwork shows up all the time, as it does in Windows Explorer.)
  2. Some albums are often displayed with their artwork, others are often displayed without, but almost all albums are shown with artwork at least some of the time.
  3. There is no relation that I can detect between the size of the folder.jpg, or the size of the embedded artwork, and the display of the artwork in the Android app, nor with the number of tracks.
  4. Albums at the top of the alphabetical album list in the app are most often shown without their artwork. Almost as if the app needs a reason (scrolling into view, say) to refresh the image.
  5. Network latency may be a factor: after I set my wifi router to prioritize both my Sonos devices and my phone, all artwork suddenly showed up quickly first time I checked. Pretty soon, though, the old erratic behavior returned. And I've at least 70-100Mpbs Wifi for the Sonos One and my phone, and nearer 150Mbps for the Beam, and the NAS is hard-wired to the router.
  6. It may matter how the artwork is embedded. I've had occasions where changing the embedded artwork type to Front Cover instantly solved the missing artwork in the app. (But it's not a certain solution.)
  7. The app seems to respond to changes in the files. When I "touch” (edit) the files in an album, it often makes the artwork appear in the app, but not always.
  8. The display of artwork changes often. This morning, 150 of my 600 albums had artwork missing in the app. This afternoon, of the top 95 albums in the list, 24 additional ones had artwork showing, while 14 had lost their artwork since this morning.
  9. Refreshing the music library tends to change which albums have artwork showing, but doesn't fix the issue.

So to conclude: the artwork seems to show up almost randomly in the Android app, and I've found no surefire way to make it show up all the time.

What's going on here? And why doesn't the Android app simply cache the artwork it's already displayed once? After all, we have an Update Library command in case of changes.

Diagnostics submitted: 89729938.

icon

Best answer by buzz 28 November 2021, 20:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Here is a discussion of the issue.

As a temporary work around, set your Synology to use only SMB1.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks, @buzz, will follow the discussion there. SMBv1 did help, but I've turned it off again for the security issues in the protocol. Will wait for Sonos to fix the bug they introduced in 13.4 under the SMBv3 protocol.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Contacted chat support to add my case to the growing body of issues. Support asked for new diagnostics, submitted 547048099. Posting in the larger thread as well. Support engineer responds that this is a known issue with SMB2/SMB3, and that their engineers are working on a solution, albeit with an unknown ETA.

Badge

Same issue and the update (v. 14) for app hasn't improved it. Android the worst, Ipad and iPhone better but nowhere the superb service of S1.

SMB issue persists - doesn't get a mention in the release notes... hmm... 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Ah, an app update! Only change to the issue in the Android app is that the album list is now in list format instead of large tiles, so the missing album art is a lot smaller :grinning:

Still baffles me that the app doesn't cache the art. I looked at the album list immediately after the update, and about 1:5 art showed up. Looked again minutes later, and it was less. I suppose Sonos wants to maintain a single point of truth for the system data, stored in the devices; but in that case, cache it there if it's so hard to retrieve the art from the NAS. 

Then again, it would be even better of course if they would simply fix the problem with SMBv2/3.

Badge

Agree with your last remark wholeheartedly... 

Yes, the only visible change it the album menu switching to list - not going really help as I liked the big format, as I like the large buttons on my telephone! 😁

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Yes, the only visible change it the album menu switching to list - not going really help as I liked the big format, as I like the large buttons on my telephone! 😁

Yeah, me too. I hate it when problems don't get fixed in updates, but good functionality is changed for the worse.