Sonos App Timing Out on Google Play Music Library Shuffle Mode Error 1001 and 1002

• 20 April 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi whenever I try to shuffle my personal music library on Google Play Music the app displays the ‘busy’ spinning circle on the screen for approximately 10 or 15 seconds and then it times out with the error code 1002 (and occasionally 1001). I believe this is because I have over 10,000 songs in my collection on Google Play music. If you’re unfamiliar with GPM it allows you to upload your entire personal music collection to the cloud for free and play them any time you want from any device, so over the years I have amassed quite a big music library via this service. I suspect the problem is one of either two things or both. There may be a limit to the number of songs that can be added to the Sonos app playlist at any one time or/and the Sonos App will wait for a response for Google Music (and maybe other similar services) for only a given period of time and if it doesn’t receive a timely response, it will error out either with error 1002, or error 1001 and will assume there has been a network error and a failure to communicate with the GPM servers. This of course is an erroneous assumption, as naturally it might take up to a minute or more to build a playlist containing 10,000 or more songs. The solution would appears to be to allow a longer period of time for larger playlists to be built. In the past I have had over 19000 songs in my collection, so again setting too short a time out to build large playlists does not appear to be a wise choice in this instance.

The evidence that this is the case can be demonstrated by the fact that I can play singe songs or shorter playlists from my collection, such as sons by a single artist, albums and a particular genre. The app always times out at exactly the same time - which although I haven’t measure it exactly is about 30 seconds or so.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 1

It isn’t anything to do with my network being to slow I have a 100Mbs connection and have zero problems with the 76 plus other connected devices in my home. I also followed your standard advice and plugged one of my speakers into a wired ethernet port. For the record I have two Sonos One SL speakers, one Playbar and on sub making a standard 5.1 set up.

Given the lack of community response, you may be best served by trying to contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7. 

In my personal opinion, it has nothing to do with your download speed, it might have something to do with the speed of the signal between your router and the speaker,but it’s much more likely the size of the playlist failing to load in the time allotted, as if I’m not mistaken, both those errors are time out errors. 

Might be worth reading this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/maximum-tracks-in-queue-6838916#post16419997

The comments by ratty, one of our more knowledgable constituents, are particularly useful, as usual.

Error 1002 is a timeout.

I’ve found that loading a playlist containing more than 2000 tracks or thereabouts from an online service can trigger the error. It’ll vary by service though. Some are faster than others. Sometimes the loading operation will throw an error but still complete a short while later. 

Assuming there is spare storage capacity, a simple solution is to load the online tracks in chunks then save the queue as a Sonos Playlist. 

Userlevel 1

I like to just use random shuffle though. I don’t usually bother with playlists. It seems like a lot of effort. especially with so much music. Or maybe I’m missing what you mean? Really the Sonos engineers should be on top of this. There are almost certainly multiple ways to ensure that playback does not time out when building a large playlist.