Question

Sonos One silently refuses to play music?

• 3 November 2017
  • 11 replies

Badge
Have a weird situation: My Sonos One has been working great with Alexa, but all of a sudden it interacts with me fine, but when I ask it to play music, it confirms what it's going to play, but I never hear anything. The Alexa app shows everything as normal, and of course I can use the Sonos app directly to push music to the speaker but for some reason Alexa isn't cooperating with the Sonos One. Again, if I talk to the unit, it responds and acts exactly as I would expect and other Amazon Echo units in the house work just fine. Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts on what might be happening?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Have a weird situation: My Sonos One has been working great with Alexa, but all of a sudden it interacts with me fine, but when I ask it to play music, it confirms what it's going to play, but I never hear anything. The Alexa app shows everything as normal, and of course I can use the Sonos app directly to push music to the speaker but for some reason Alexa isn't cooperating with the Sonos One. Again, if I talk to the unit, it responds and acts exactly as I would expect and other Amazon Echo units in the house work just fine. Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts on what might be happening?
Mine is doing exactly the same and i cant wirk it out...its really frustrating
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Normally disabling the Sonos skill and then Enabling within the Alexa app sorts this. If this doesn't work try turning off Voice Control under settings>Your Sonos 1 within the Sonos App (Only available on either the iOS or Android apps) and then Enable again.

Also check under Settings>History within the Alexa app to ensure that the Sonos 1 is hearing you okay.
Badge
Disconnecting and reconnecting the skill did the trick. Now, about that Spotify support... 🙂
Had exactly the same problem - only seems to have started in the last 24 hours or so but it's happened twice. I found rescanning devices in the Alexa app fixed it - I didn't need to disable the skill
It's just done it again. This time it just stopped in the middle of playing and wouldn't restart. The network connection was still there as the unit was responding to commands but just not playing music. Rescanning devices fixed it again.
When this happens, submit a diagnostic and post the reference number to this thread so the Sonos techs can take a look.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Disconnecting and reconnecting the skill did the trick. Now, about that Spotify support... :-)
Spotify support for voice on Sonos is coming by December 21st.

When this happens, submit a diagnostic and post the reference number to this thread so the Sonos techs can take a look.
Agreed.
Badge
Glad I came across this thread. I was experiencing the exact same problem; it started this morning. I rescanned the devices via the Alexa app and things are back to normal. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Disconnecting and reconnecting the skill did the trick. Now, about that Spotify support... :-)

There is a bit of a workaround. If you set Spotify as your default music source within the Alexa App, you can select an artist from Spotify with an Echo device and control with the Sonos 1 afterwards. Not ideal but a step closer until Spotify is fully supported in Dec.

My last post here, explains how:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/playing-spotify-with-alexa-on-sonos-one-6792705/index1.html#post16161170
Badge
Is anyone continuing to experience this problem? It reappeared today and I’ve tried both of the above mentioned recommendations with zero success. I’m starting to think Sonos One isn’t the answer for me.