Skip to main content

I have a paired Sonos one setup and the problem is as follows: 

sound source: a Mac connected via Airplay on the same wifi + Sonos app installed  on the mac (if it matters)

Explainer: Sonos plays a video (sound) perfectly. I select a new video, the video starts but Sonos does not play the sound anymore. To solve the problem I have to change output device on the mac to something else, then select the Sonos again and it starts to play perfectly. 

This also happens if I switch applications when e.g. a youtube video ends, I use an other app, i revisit youtube in the browser and i have to do the “switch output device” again. 

I tried with different browsers already. It has been happening since I have 

Curious if it happens with others or what is going on. 

Hi @humboltboby, welcome to the Sonos Community!

The symptoms you’re describing sound like the system is using AirPlay 1 to stream rather than AirPlay 2. While you can use AirPlay1 to stream from macOS to Sonos, you may experience a delay or audio interruptions using this playback method.

If you are instead using AirPlay 2, I would suggest trying a different controller if possible to see if you’re still having the issue with no sound. Also, does this only occur with AirPlay sources with a video or do you also get issues when swapping to audio only sources?

If you’re not sure about what AirPlay method is being used, or you still experience this issue with a different controller and playback source, then I would suggest you reach out to our support team. They can take a diagnostics of your system and look into what may be causing this issue to occur.

I hope this information helps!