End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

If

.  The Amazon Echos come closest in that department in my opinion.  But they don’t have a equivalent to a “sonos connect” right?

Amazon has Echo Link - which is a Connect/Port like device with digital in/out. I've never used it, reviews are so/so.

I have an Echo Link conneded to a wired multi-room system. I named it “stereo”. I can be in any room and tell the Echo in that room to play “xyz whatever” on the “stereo” and music plays in all of the rooms. Works fine.I also have a Sonos Connect attached to the same system. I’ll have to see how much use it gets going forward. Maybe I am already past the point where Sonos even matters anymore.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Incidentally - SONOS share price down almost 3% again today in the first 90 minutes after the market opened,  Down almost 10% in the last 5 days.  I see it going further and it has gathered pace each day.

now down almost 4% today

Wow 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I have an Echo Link conneded to a wired multi-room system. I named it “stereo”. I can be in any room and tell the Echo in that room to play “xyz whatever” on the “stereo” and music plays in all of the rooms. Works fine.I also have a Sonos Connect attached to the same system. I’ll have to see how much use it gets going forward. Maybe I am already past the point where Sonos even matters anymore.

Thanks for posting your experience. I am intrigued by the Link's ability to auto switch between sources. Do you use this at all and if so is it reliable?

Userlevel 2

Am probably not going to add anything that hasn’t already being said.  But I think SONOS need to understand the level of concern out there in their loyal customer base.

At the moment I don’t have any kit marked as legacy, thankfully.  But the announcement has left me very fearful and has shaken my confidence in SONOS.  I’m asking myself, at what point will my Play 1’s and Play 5(gen2) be earmarked as legacy?

Stupid me hadn’t even considered that SONOS would do this.  These are not smartphones that are physically handled and knocked about for 2-3 years, which still makes obsolescence hard to swallow but not so much of an issue.

But in my foolish mind I thought I was paying the kind of money I have for SONOS because it’s top quality and I thought it was going to last (10-15 years would be my expectation), minimum. I hadn’t really thought about the software side of things. Maybe that’s my fault?

I’m still holding out some hope SONOS can turn this around. I hope they can find a workable solution for the kit they have just earmarked as legacy and hope they can offer some guarantees around the rest of the SONOS, and confirm that it will not be declared obsolete when the physical hardware is still working fine. That’s just an insane waste of materials and money.

Bottom line is that all SONOS spend is now on hold. I won’t be adding to my SONOS system until I have the assurances and confidence that SONOS will continue to support the kit that I have and any kit that I would buy in future for the rest of it’s natural life.

Thanks for posting your experience. I am intrigued by the Link's ability to auto switch between sources. Do you use this at all and if so is it reliable?

Sorry, I have not used that yet, mainly because the order of priority on the inputs does not meet my needs and I have other ways to do auto source switching. You might find better info on that if you check the Amazon device forum.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Sorry, I have not used that yet, mainly because the order of priority on the inputs does not meet my needs and I have other ways to do auto source switching. You might find better info on that if you check the Amazon device forum.

Thanks did not know about the Amazon device forum, will look there.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Wow. Is there even anyone at Sonos anymore or did nobody come in after the weekend?

It is mind boggling how passively they’re just sitting there watching their business burn down from a fire they voluntarily started (and have had numerous opportunities to put out). 

Userlevel 3

From what i have seen, the electronics inside the IKEA Symfonisk is exactly the same as inside the Play 1, with the only difference being that the Symfonisk has 256Mbyte instead of 64Mbyte

The Symfonisk is essentially identical to a play 1 inside, apparently.

Yes, the Symfonisk is the same PCB but with added ram and rom

Should be an easy retrofit when the Play 1 is obsoleted in a couple of years….If they have not changed the PCB in the Symfonisk or stopped selling it.

If you think about a Symfonisk is more functional than a play 1.. when Sonos brick your Symfonisk in a few years you can at least continue to use it as a shelf. 

You do know that they put a kill switch on the rear bracket don’t you?  When Spence approves a particular software update, it falls off the wall…  Though he may not be around to approve it.

But who wants the aesthetically challenged IKEA products?

This is the problem I am having in researching a alternative to SONOS.  I like the way my products look.  Most of what I am seeing and either just plain ugly or they are too much over the top for my taste.  I like the simplicity of the design I have now.  The Amazon Echos come closest in that department in my opinion.  But they don’t have a equivalent to a “sonos connect” right?

To maybe answer your question RE: Sonos Connect Amazon equivalent - I’m looking at the Echo Link Amp and Echo Link at the moment among many other options (check them out on Amazon if you haven’t seen), and trying to figure out my going forward strategy - as I’m done with Sonos. 

I am doing a backyard, California room renovation and was going to go with Moves for around pool and Amps and a Playbar, Sub for TV etc, but of course I’ve discarded that idea.  Looking at the Bose 51 hard wired outdoor speakers now (instead of Moves), and trying to decide how to get rid of Sonos completely for the rest of the project . . .

. . . even thinking about a hardwired AV receiver now . . .

. . . it’s crazy like someone said above.  Sonos was a default no question purchase before this fiasco for me.  I wouldn’t even consider price or competitively shop - that’s how well the previous leaders built the Sonos brand!  And I’ve gone from that to “never again” in 1 week - and I’m telling everyone I brought over to Sonos to get out of their ecosystem because they can change your functionality (or shut you down) on a whim (based upon what they see as to their financial benefit) - and they are testing those whims now. 

I am convinced they may go out of business because of this brand destruction - and all my speakers will eventually die.  In my 52 years of life I cannot think of any company that I have turned against so quickly . . . it’s amazing really . . . it would be hard to do worse in terms of destroying a brand if one really, really (did I say really) tried.  I laugh and imagine the leaders at Sonos sitting around the boardroom table (like in a Dilbert cartoon) and saying - “hey, let’s destroy this company and our brand - who has the best idea about how we can do it?”

The sad thing is, the employees that built this (and us the customers) will be the ones that suffer.  The leaders will profit when someone swoops in and buys them to pick-up the pieces after the stock drops to 5 . . .

I think the miscalculation that Sonos and Patrick made was that they did not understand the intelligence of their average user.  People agreed to pay a Sonos premium because they understood the value in backwards compatibility, a whole house system (ie: we do not want segregated legacy and new systems), etc (ie: ROI).  And also, to pay the premium, their customers naturally have to be somewhat successful in general and have substantial disposable income.  People that fit that description are not dumb and can read through corporate BS when they see it.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Wow it looks like even Wall Street agrees Sonos messed up on this! Apparently even they know sacrificing a companies reputation with its customers is a bad idea.

Userlevel 2
Badge

ok, so here’s a thing. take a gen 3 chromecast (£25), add an hdmi splitter (£8) , plug chromecast into splitter, plug audio cable from splitter into sonos play:5 , turn on autoplay 

You can now cast to the chromecast, and play music on the speakers. You can also add each chromecast to a speaker group .

And with a little bit of lateral thinking you can cut the audio cable to each speaker to have only L and R wires active, so you have a stereo pair

So, for just over £30 you can “fix” your sonos 5 speakers to use the latest streaming tech. 

Which begs the question - why can’t sonos produce such a device and keep the play:5 speakers working indefinitely - after all the “puck” wouldn’t cost *that* much to make. If they were to offer this at cost, I’m sure that most Sonos owners would be delighted at the forward-thinking and customer support of this premium brand and not the PR disaster it has become.

I have been responsible for my family purchasing 10k+ of sonos gear. I will not be doing so going forwards, and neither will they. Such a shame

Will the chromecast speaker groups be sync’ed ?

This is what was so great about sonos, you could just add another speaker and it would sync up perfectly.

yes, they are  synced :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Wow. Is there even anyone at Sonos anymore or did nobody come in after the weekend?

It is mind boggling how passively they’re just sitting there watching their business burn down from a fire they voluntarily started (and have had numerous opportunities to put out). 

Couldn’t agree more, poor old Ryan S has been left all weekend to try to put a positive spin on something that is patently unspinnable and clearly about to compromise the company. Hats off to Ryan S and his efforts, he has tried his best to deliver the unpalatable message of the company and kinda deserves a medal for persistence whilst it is clear Nero has been out and about fiddling all weekend……...

Userlevel 1

You are not going to support the first speaker I ever bought in Dec 14 - meaning 5.5 years by May 2020. Not very long…..

I have bought other products since and never heard “ only 5 years of support “

from when?- when introduced or when bought? who knew?- buried in small print somewhere i guess that was not made clear before the product is bought.

? no offer to allow upgrade of software into the “ old” speaker? - no just buy a new one at a 30% discount - which is a terrible offer.

This is terrible support from a product I have admired and bought for myself and family members. Hard to think I’d ever buy again, Total lack of customer focus - especially to early adopters that helped Sonos get to a publicly traded company. A fatal mistake to not remember “ who brung ya”

Makes me think time to go back to wired speakers- I have some over 25 years old that sound pretty good- and now sound better….

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

How to determine if your older gear is still modern?

Besides the VOL vs. Wedge symbol on the front rocker switch and the build date next to the serial number.  Is there any way we can use an IP command line function to tell if our Connect or Connect Amp has enough computing power/memory to stay in the MODERN category? We now know that Sonos slip-streamed upgrades into identical looking units over the years and seem less-than-transparent about how to determine this.

According to the Sonos link in the “end of support” email, I have a mix of Connects and Connect Amps that are both Modern and Legacy. 

Am I missing something in the readout of the cool command utility “Sonos Support Info”  (192.168.X.XXX/support/review)? 

I poked around search engines and in the forums and can’t find anything useful yet.

Why?? because I want to somewhat future-proof my system (at least for the MAY announcement) though the second hand/used market (reuse, not replace & throwaway). 

While I was OK paying premium prices for Sonos AUDIO gear over the last 10 years of yearly purchases, I can’t justify paying the outrageous premium for the AMP or PORT when we all know it’s about $15-$30 worth of parts and has a very limited lifespan.  The paltry 30% discount (after the recent price increase) is just silly.  I’ll pay premium for AUDIO gear that lasts more than 5 years, but not for cheap parts that are horribly marked-up and have a short life span. 

Appreciate pointers on how to determine this for our home and hopefully others. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The really sad thing is that, despite previously being a loyal Sonos customer with a fair amount of kit, I and other customers I know are actively hoping for the stock price to crash further.

For the simple reason that it would be that event, and that alone which would force Sonos to really try to provide a solution (either techinical or financial). The CEO letter was simply too vague to insipire full confidence that they were not still playing for time and hoping the whole thing would blow over.

I suspect a lot of the investors out there might be assuming that a) the CEO letter was sufficient to restore confidence, and b) that most of the protests are from the usual small core of customers who threaten to desert a brand, but seldom do.

It will take an intelligent investor to realise that Sonos customers are not generally of ‘the usual suspects’ variety and that the sudden reversal of loyalty from this large and financially important base could really damage revenue in a big way - not to mention discourage the many people who had finally decided to fork out more than they wanted to to buy their first Sonos system because they believed that, at the end of the day, the Sonos brand had merited cachet thanks to endless recommendations from existing users.

If the stock price declines another 10% during this week, then that will hopefully lead to a more substantive announcement…

From my limited technical knowledge, and looking at the spec of the now ‘legacy’ kit over the past few years, it does look rather as though Sonos have been negligent in not revising the hardware to take advantage of dramatic falls in memory prices and thereby give the kit a longer potential life. Given the retail price of e.g. the Play:5, I think it was not too much to ask for the minor cost I assume it would have taken.

As it stands, the comment that seems most pertinent in this entire debacle was from a user who said (from memory) that it was a bit crazy that Sonos could engineer a piece of kit to drive non-Sonos speakers (the Connect:Amp), but - apparently - not a piece of kit to drive Sonos‘ own ‘legacy’ speakers.

Personally, I would have said this would be a win-win solution for the CEO - I’d be willing to pay a small amount for this kit for each of my legacy devices if it guaranteed a decent shelf-life, and it would immediately signal to existing and prospective Sonos customers that they could continue to have faith in Sonos.

I definitely think they need to revisit the memory spec of all their existing equipment - which in some cases might again seem rather mean in 5 years time.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Besides the VOL vs. Wedge symbol on the front rocker switch and the build date next to the serial number.  Is there any way we can use an IP command line function to tell if our Connect or Connect Amp has enough computing power/memory to stay in the MODERN category? We now know that Sonos slip-streamed upgrades into identical looking units over the years and seem less-than-transparent about how to determine this.

According to the Sonos link in the “end of support” email, I have a mix of Connects and Connect Amps that are both Modern and Legacy. 

Am I missing something in the readout of the cool command utility “Sonos Support Info”  (192.168.X.XXX/support/review)? 

I poked around search engines and in the forums and can’t find anything useful yet.

Why?? because I want to somewhat future-proof my system (at least for the MAY announcement) though the second hand/used market (reuse, not replace & throwaway). 

While I was OK paying premium prices for Sonos AUDIO gear over the last 10 years of yearly purchases, I can’t justify paying the outrageous premium for the AMP or PORT when we all know it’s about $15-$30 worth of parts and has a very limited lifespan.  The paltry 30% discount (after the recent price increase) is just silly.  I’ll pay premium for AUDIO gear that lasts more than 5 years, but not for cheap parts that are horribly marked-up and have a short life span. 

log into your account on my Sonos and look at your system on the pages there It will show what is modern or otherwise. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Not only will owners of the company's first-generation speakers and Sonos Connect and Bridge not be able to update their home audio system soon, but they'll be blocked from updating newer devices that are connected to the so-called "legacy" products.

Bizarrely, Sonos boasted in the SAME press release that "92 percent of the products we’ve ever shipped are still in use today". 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

BTW, it is clear that - in general - the cowardly tech press are trying to avoid pointing the blame at Sonos.

This is a very interesting piece from Australian Channel Press which might shed light on the reasons for this:

https://www.channelnews.com.au/retailers-move-to-dump-sonos/

I definitely think tech journalists need to start quizzing suppliers of expensive tech about future proofing (e.g. decent amount of memory, replaceable batteries, modular design etc.) for higher end audio kit.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

log into your account on my Sonos and look at your system on the pages there It will show what is modern or otherwise. 

Sorry, I probably wasn’t clear enough.  I want to know how to determine this for other equipment I don’t yet own but might want to purchase. 

Sonos please give us a ROADMAP by serial number, build date, or data from the app that CLEARLY details if the unit has what it takes to be MODERN.  Give us a simple matrix and be transparent about it quickly please!  Transparency is one of your core values after all. 

Either that or give is a SELL BY or USE BY date stamped on every box and product going forward.  This is home AUDIO equipment not some top-secret high-tech military gear.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Agree on all points, and very well worded.

One thing that keeps going through my head, is how many 10’s or 100’s of thousands of Sonos customers never needed to look elsewhere, it was a given that all future spend would be on Sonos as and when required. Like when I bought two Moves to add to my system last year, no way would I have looked elsewhere, but that’s all changed in the last week.

As you say, they’ve now got one chance to fix this situation.

If this week continues with just the existing CEO announcement from last week, then that simply isn’t enough to change things.

It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it.

If you think about that, you'll do things differently.

Warren Buffett

Userlevel 2

Executives from SONOS, especially Patrick Spence, what you did reminds me of Nortel Do you recall them they it was a fantastic company just like yours but it when bankrupt.

Luckily for them they didn’t go to jail…

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Executives from SONOS, especially Patrick Spence, what you did just sounds like Nortel...remember them they closed down.

Luckily for them they didn’t go to jail…

From what i have read, Patrick Spense was the guy at the helm when Blackberry drove themselves into the ground.

Why a tech company would hire a guy that already once took a succesful brand and burned it down is beyond me.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

From what i have read, Patrick Spense was the guy at the helm when Blackberry drove themselves into the ground.

Why a tech company would hire a guy that already once took a succesful brand and burned it down is beyond me.

Did anyone responsible for his appointment get wealthy out of Blackberry failing? If so, then there’s your answer.

There are plenty of people happy to ruin a company worth billions if it’ll increase their personal wealth somehow. 

From what i have seen, the electronics inside the IKEA Symfonisk is exactly the same as inside the Play 1, with the only difference being that the Symfonisk has 256Mbyte instead of 64Mbyte

The Symfonisk is essentially identical to a play 1 inside, apparently.

Yes, the Symfonisk is the same PCB but with added ram and rom

Should be an easy retrofit when the Play 1 is obsoleted in a couple of years….If they have not changed the PCB in the Symfonisk or stopped selling it.

If you think about a Symfonisk is more functional than a play 1.. when Sonos brick your Symfonisk in a few years you can at least continue to use it as a shelf. 

You do know that they put a kill switch on the rear bracket don’t you?  When Spence approves a particular software update, it falls off the wall…  Though he may not be around to approve it.

But who wants the aesthetically challenged IKEA products?

This is the problem I am having in researching a alternative to SONOS.  I like the way my products look.  Most of what I am seeing and either just plain ugly or they are too much over the top for my taste.  I like the simplicity of the design I have now.  The Amazon Echos come closest in that department in my opinion.  But they don’t have a equivalent to a “sonos connect” right?

To maybe answer your question RE: Sonos Connect Amazon equivalent - I’m looking at the Echo Link Amp and Echo Link at the moment among many other options (check them out on Amazon if you haven’t seen), and trying to figure out my going forward strategy - as I’m done with Sonos. 

I am doing a backyard, California room renovation and was going to go with Moves for around pool and Amps and a Playbar, Sub for TV etc, but of course I’ve discarded that idea.  Looking at the Bose 51 hard wired outdoor speakers now (instead of Moves), and trying to decide how to get rid of Sonos completely for the rest of the project . . .

. . . even thinking about a hardwired AV receiver now . . .

. . . it’s crazy like someone said above.  Sonos was a default no question purchase before this fiasco for me.  I wouldn’t even consider price or competitively shop - that’s how well the previous leaders built the Sonos brand!  And I’ve gone from that to “never again” in 1 week - and I’m telling everyone I brought over to Sonos to get out of their ecosystem because they can change your functionality (or shut you down) on a whim (based upon what they see as to their financial benefit) - and they are testing those whims now. 

I am convinced they may go out of business because of this brand destruction - and all my speakers will eventually die.  In my 52 years of life I cannot think of any company that I have turned against so quickly . . . it’s amazing really . . . it would be hard to do worse in terms of destroying a brand if one really, really (did I say really) tried.  I laugh and imagine the leaders at Sonos sitting around the boardroom table (like in a Dilbert cartoon) and saying - “hey, let’s destroy this company and our brand - who has the best idea about how we can do it?”

The sad thing is, the employees that built this (and us the customers) will be the ones that suffer.  The leaders will profit when someone swoops in and buys them to pick-up the pieces after the stock drops to 5 . . .

I think the miscalculation that Sonos and Patrick made was that they did not understand the intelligence of their average user.  People agreed to pay a Sonos premium because they understood the value in backwards compatibility, a whole house system (ie: we do not want segregated legacy and new systems), etc (ie: ROI).  And also, to pay the premium, their customers naturally have to be somewhat successful in general and have substantial disposable income.  People that fit that description are not dumb and can read through corporate BS when they see it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R8NCXGTMM7E13?

Quite a few limitations re: Echo Link.

For my part, I’ve read post after post with sentiments akin to “why would anyone buy Sonos now?” that while not unfounded by any means, often miss the greater point… if the next thought is to look toward other companies with similar capabilities then, basically, the moral of this Sonos story is not being heard.

Everyone should take pause and quickly realize that this will be repeated, with every other manufacturer of “smart audio” as it were, and likely on far shorter product cycles than we’re witnessing with Sonos. Be very mindful if you begin looking for alternatives, slow down and consider what it is you’re doing and why. If speaker wire doesn’t factor into your replacement plans then take a step back. This is an industry problem, not just a Sonos problem.

Userlevel 2

Bittersweet, just returned my Move for store credit. Now I only own 9 speakers, 4 of which are Legacy. I don’t see SONOS surviving this fiasco unless they develop another bridge to keep it all together. One email just lopped off thousands of unpaid salespeople/advocates for their brand. 

Userlevel 1

I bought mine Dec 14- 3 years after 2011 and likely closer to 4 since introduciton

Not a very custom focused answer - and horrible wording/grammer  

Those products were indeed introduced between 2005 and 2011. The date of introduction refers to the first date the products came into the market. 

The types of new features that the product would not be compatible with, it would not have supported now to begin with. The physical limitations of the hardware render it incapable of performing tasks they were not designed for. The products will still receive important bug fixes and full support from our technical support staff.

Sincerely,

Sean F.
Sonos | Customer Care | Contact Us
Ask questions, find answers, and share your thoughts on the Sonos Community.