Tutorial

Using Sonos as PC Speakers

Using Sonos as PC Speakers

Show first post

109 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Gutemberg Ribeiro 

Using an optical connection, you should be able to receive Dolby Digital 5.1 (not DD+) or DTS 5.1, assuming your Apple TV is willing to output those formats - I assume you’ll need to specify the output format manually.

I have no experience playing games on Apple devices, but if it’s anything like playing on a PC, compressed format surround options like those I mention above may not be available. Movies/TV shows shouldn’t be a problem.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply @Corry P 

Sorry but my question is around a Mac Studio (a Mac computer just like a Mac mini or a Macbook) and not an Apple TV. The reason I asked is because for the Mac to be able to send DTS/DD it needs to detect the multichannel support on the optical device connected to it on MacOS Audio MIDI and not stereo like this.

I'm trying to make sure the converter used by Sonos report the correct number of speakers (5.1) to MacOS so it can output DD/DTS before I put this new order.

Can you confirm with your team this info please?

Otherwise it won't work with 5.1and will send only stereo. I think the same applies to regular Windows PCs.

So again, in order for this to work properly Sonos adapter must be able to report 5.1, not 2.0 as in both Windows and MacOS screenshots above.

Can you confirm that info please?

Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

This is not how optical works. There is no communication between the source and sink, the Sonos device cannot communicate with your Mac. This is a feature only used by HDMI. The Mac might detect it by checking if an optical cable is connected or there might be some advanced settings somewhere. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Gutemberg Ribeiro 

Apologies for mixing up Apple TV and Mac Studio (typing “Apple TV” is just habit at this point), but it doesn’t really change my earlier answer.

What @Outburst said is spot on; SPDIF/TOSLink is one-way communication only. 

My suspicion is that, just like with Windows, your Mac Studio is only willing to output surround sound if the interface does not require compression, i.e. MultiChannel LPCM 5.1 or 7.1 via HDMI. When it comes to the optical connection you are using, any surround format must be pre-prepared (compressed), which effectively means that it is only available with recorded media playback and the Passthrough option on the playback software (not in system settings) must be activated. Creative Labs make a USB soundcard that will compress Dolby Digital in real-time using a hardware encoder (Dolby Digital Live, they call the feature), but it is not compatible with macOS, unfortunately. There may be alternate options available for your Mac Studio, however, including software-only ones.

Just in case you are now thinking of connecting your Beam to your Mac Studio directly with an HDMI cable, that will not work - the Beam must be connected to an HDMI-ARC socket, not an HDMI one. If you do connect via a TV, it will need to be one with eARC support to handle uncompressed MultiChannel LPCM. Whether or not your Mac Studio will be willing to then output surround sound at the system level, I’ll leave for someone who has actually tried it to answer.

I hope this helps.

Thank you both for the replies. Now I understand what is wrong.

In regards to the HDMI @Corry P I understand HDMI and (e)ARC are two different types of signals/protocols and computers (Mac or Windows) are not doing (e)ARC over their HDMI ports.

I could add a HDFury Arcana to get the eARC signal generated for the Sonos devices but that has a weird downside of even that I'm only sending Audio, MacOS (and Windows for that matter) will detect the HDFury Arcana as a display so you can easily "lose" the mouse cursor if you happen to move the mouse on that "non-existent" screen, which is quite annoying. 

Sound Blaster X4 apparently have 7.1/5.1 discrete channels using the SPIDF optical output but I guess this is uncompressed as you mentioned, and the Dolby Digital Live encoding is not available on MacOS:

So I guess the only option left is to use the HDFury Arcana and live with the phantom display 😢

If I pick that path, do we have any audio delays using the eARC (assuming ofc the HDFury Arcana doesn't introduce any delays)? Also, assuming the apps can play Atmos (like Apple TV+, Netflix, etc), will it work as expected, right?

Anyway, thank you very much for the replies!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Gutemberg Ribeiro 

There will be a delay (there is always some delay), but it shouldn’t be long enough to be an annoyance (or even noticeable), though as you rightly mention, it does rely on how long it takes the Arcana to do its part.

Other than the phantom screen you mention, I don’t see any obvious problems with doing this, assuming the Mac lets you output audio to one “display” while piping the video to a different display, that is. It’s possible it won’t, but I don’t know for sure one way or another. My assumption would be that you could just choose where the audio goes.

In short, no promises, I’m afraid.

I hope this helps.

Yeah, it is possible. For MacOS when you add an HDMI display it also add an audio device so you can just pick it from the list:

About the delay, yeah, there is always "some". But my options for this is to either use Sonos and keep it as the rest of my house, or get a thunderbolt audio interface and plug powered speakers to it as stereo/2.1. Any interface DSP will have "some" delay anyway to convert the signal should be negligible.

The goals are to be able to (1) watch movies/music in a reasonable way (this is not my main HT, just the home office), (2) play games and (3) eventually make skype/teams/slack calls where the delay isn't noticed.

So if this is doable with Sonos rather prefer use it.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Gutemberg Ribeiro 

I’m about 98% sure it will work for you, but I just can’t guarantee it.

You are most welcome!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I just received my Line In adapter for my Era100….

Anyone reading this thread: You do NOT want to use an Era as a PC speaker unless you:

• Never watch youtube
  • Never watch Netflix
  • Only ever listen to music

The delay is a LOT more than 75 ms via both bluetooth and the Line In. Via Line In the delay is MUCH greater. So much that watching someone talk or a dialog is painful. Bluetooth is better, but there is a material out-of-sync issue.

I just received my Line In adapter for my Era100….

Anyone reading this thread: You do NOT want to use an Era as a PC speaker unless you:

• Never watch youtube
  • Never watch Netflix
  • Only ever listen to music

The delay is a LOT more than 75 ms via both bluetooth and the Line In. Via Line In the delay is MUCH greater. So much that watching someone talk or a dialog is painful. Bluetooth is better, but there is a material out-of-sync issue.

The Line-In buffer is adjustable, 75ms is the minimum.  If it is set high, or compression is set to On, it will be longer.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

The Line-In buffer is adjustable, 75ms is the minimum.  If it is set high, or compression is set to On, it will be longer.

Ahhhh, yes, now that you suggest it, I see that it defaulted (on my system, anyway) to 2000ms! That is TWO SECONDS!

75ms should be fine, I am going to test it now…  now this seems workable.

The default is quite the problem. I had started shopping for a powered speaker to replace what I intended for the Era100…. now it looks like the Era100 has me covered.

Userlevel 1

(This is a repost)

Hello all - 

I was hoping to use my new Era 100s as computer speakers, clearly I didn’t do enough research.

I now understand how the system works - one line-in supports both speakers, the line-in connects to the other speaker wirelessly. This is the source of the delay problem as I understand it.

What if, for the computer speaker use case, Sonos creates an option to use a line-in on each speaker - R/L from the computer. No wireless sync. Of course, I realize that wireless is the Sonos magic, but two use cases in one - computer and multi-room wireless audio, that would be true magic. Plus, Sonos, you get to sell one more line-in dongle. :)

(This is a repost)

Hello all - 

I was hoping to use my new Era 100s as computer speakers, clearly I didn’t do enough research.

I now understand how the system works - one line-in supports both speakers, the line-in connects to the other speaker wirelessly. This is the source of the delay problem as I understand it.

What if, for the computer speaker use case, Sonos creates an option to use a line-in on each speaker - R/L from the computer. No wireless sync. Of course, I realize that wireless is the Sonos magic, but two use cases in one - computer and multi-room wireless audio, that would be true magic. Plus, Sonos, you get to sell one more line-in dongle. :)

Bolded is incorrect.  The delay is to buffer the input for any multi-room use, in addition to a stereo pair, and it is unavoidable.  As to giving an option to not delay, it has been requested for going on 2 decades, to no avail.  I don’t see Sonos adding it now, especially when switching from one to the other in mid-stream would invariably lead to dropouts.  And if you don’t think the very first complaint would be an inability to switch from single use to multi-room without a dropout, you’ve not been around here long.  

Userlevel 1

Gotcha on the delay. To simplify, I'm proposing that Sonos enables using line in speakers as standard active speakers. So, right line-in plays right signal, left follows the same pattern. This way the speakers work as great, no compromise computer speakers. They also work as great Sonos speakers. Bonus for Sonos, they can sell an additional line-in dongle. I'm envisioning configuration as a toggle that allows the user to ignore stereo paring when using line-in. 

Gotcha on the delay. To simplify, I'm proposing that Sonos enables using line in speakers as standard active speakers. So, right line-in plays right signal, left follows the same pattern. This way the speakers work as great, no compromise computer speakers. They also work as great Sonos speakers. Bonus for Sonos, they can sell an additional line-in dongle. I'm envisioning configuration as a toggle that allows the user to ignore stereo paring when using line-in. 

Have you tried connecting the Era 100s to your PC via bluetooth?  You may find that solution works a little better.

I am doubtful that Sonos will ever removing the line in delay as you suggest, even as a option.  It’s designed for multiroom audio use and not to be in sync with any video screen.  Sonos has different products for that purpose. And there are unintended consequences from such a feature.

1 - Some users may not understand why there multiroom audio system isn’t playing in perfect sync as advertised.  It will appear as a flaw rather than a feature.  Yes, the issue already exists when playing TV audio, so you could argue this isn’t really a concern.  However, I think people do not group with TV audio that often  and it’s somewhat easier to understand.  People do connect their turntables, 3rd party systems, etc, and expect to use it for multiroom audio.

2 - The feature would encourage a lot of users to forgo an actual Sonos home theatre setup in favor of just using the line-in to play a stereo signal from their TV.  You just want it for your PC, but there is no way to limit the feature to just PC use.

After writing that though, I suppose those consequences are not that severe. Maybe it does make sense from a business perspective.  Regardless, it doesn’t exist now.

As has been stated before, Sonos uses digital amplifiers in all their systems.  Volume control is also digital.  So the conversion to digital and subsequent buffering is unavoidable.  There is no way to get rid of it, it is part and parcel to how Sonos operates.

Hi,

I got a Beam Gen 1 as a speaker for my PC. At the first time it gave me the good experience for streaming from my PC. But recently it started having problems playing the sound. it gives me the sound of the flickering signal. I have checked all the ports on my PC and they are working fine. I don’t know what is the problem here. Does anyone have the same problem?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You don’t say if it is an HDMI or optical link to the Beam but in either case I’d suspect a PC or driver issue is the root problem.

You could get it to happen and submit a diagnostic to Sonos then call Support to see if they can identify the issue.

What about the original old speakers such as the Play 1 or Play 3?  Any hope for the original Sonos supporters who believed on your product when it all started? Or have we all been forgotten?  Thanks 

Huh? Those were never described as PC speakers, not intended for such use. Are you expecting a software update to magically add line-in, Bluetooth or digital inputs? You can use those today as you always have been able to, for music or as surrounds.

Trying to use Play 1’s and a Connect as an aggregate device in Mac OS as surrounds with an Apollo X as an interface, but cannot figure out how to set it up

You don’t say if it is an HDMI or optical link to the Beam but in either case I’d suspect a PC or driver issue is the root problem.

You could get it to happen and submit a diagnostic to Sonos then call Support to see if they can identify the issue.

I linked my PC to Beam with optical adapter from Sonos and a soundcard. DO you have any advices?

I linked my PC to Beam with optical adapter from Sonos and a soundcard. DO you have any advices?

Hope to not use HDMI

Hope to not use HDMI

beam only have HDMI ARC. I use it with optical adapter from Sonos and soundcard.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Try another audio source with an optical out, maybe a CD player? If it plays without issue the fault is likely in the PC setup.

Hi everyone,

I have read all the posts here. But im still confused. I recently got a Ray and want to use it as my PC speaker.

First I used the adapter that come along with my beam gen2, but it's failed (read the post about it and now realized that it won't work).

Right now I have these 2 questions:

1. If I'm going to use converter from 3.5mm AUX to Optical, is it going to be the DAC or the ADC?

2. Someone recommended to me to use digital way, by using USB-DAC. Is it really going to work? How this will work can someone please enlightened me?

Thank you guys

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @EP87 

If your PC is a desktop PC, it should have an optical port - if so, you just want to connect your Ray directly to this port. Limit the output formats to PCM, Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS.

1. If there is no optical port, however, you will need a 3.5mm to optical converter (and that device will need to be an ADC) assuming you want to use a headphone or line-out 3.5mm socket on the PC. Or...
  2. A USB device that has an optical output would also work, but in this case it would basically be an external soundcard, and you would need to choose the correct sound device in Windows(?) for it to work. This will be (at least in theory) a better option as there is no unnecessary analogue stage, but also potentially more expensive (but should still be very affordable). There would be no DAC or ADC, however - just an external sound “card” with a digital connection straight to your Ray via optical.

I hope this helps.