Tutorial

Using Sonos as PC Speakers

Using Sonos as PC Speakers

Show first post

109 replies

Badge

Could we possibly have some information on what sort of latency we should expect when we connect 2 Roam (or 2 Move) as a stereo pair over bluetooth?

My understanding is that S2 version 14.16 added the ability for Roam to play stereo over Bluetooth but only if WiFi is present. Would the expected latency be 20-40ms (from BT) + 75ms (for Sonos standard sync) =~ 100ms or something closer to only BT 20ms?

Also would the Roam negotiate AAC as the coded on MacBook Pro with Apple Silicon?

Thanks!

Badge

Hello There, I got the Ray, i’m trying to connect it to my computer, but my computer does not have the optical port, it only has a audio type c. I bought an adapter USB AUDIO CONVERTER OPTICAL AND 3.5MM, I plug it into my type c and a usb port but there is no audio coming out, my computer does detect that there is a speaker plug it and even has the green audio lv going up, Any tips? I was going to return this but I really want to make it work. Much would be appreciated thank you.

I bought this one for $20 on Amazon and it works great on my MacBook

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QFYNB7Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Make sure you get the “output” version and not the “input” as those are uni-directional.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Johnson878 

Does the adaptor have separate outputs listed in Windows? If so, you’ll need to make sure that the Digital Output is selected (rather than the 3.5mm socket, which may be labelled as “Speakers”). 

One thing strikes me as a bit strange, however: you said “plug it into my type c and a usb port” - as a USB device, it should only need to plug into one USB socket, not a USB-C and a USB type A (if that’s what you meant). It may help if you provide a link to the device you purchased.

You may also need to specify/restrict the digital output format in Windows to be Dolby Digital (AC-3) or DTS - if it’s trying to send Dolby Digital + (EAC-3), for example, that will not work.

I hope this helps.

Hello There, I got the Ray, i’m trying to connect it to my computer, but my computer does not have the optical port, it only has a audio type c. I bought an adapter USB AUDIO CONVERTER OPTICAL AND 3.5MM, I plug it into my type c and a usb port but there is no audio coming out, my computer does detect that there is a speaker plug it and even has the green audio lv going up, Any tips? I was going to return this but I really want to make it work. Much would be appreciated thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @controlav 

Oh, using the analog adapter: is there no way to do a direct USB-to-USB connection PC-to-Eras?

No.

This may or may not change - I really don’t know. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @controlav 

Support, could we please get an update on this article covering using the USB line-in on the new Era models?

Excellent idea - done!

Oh, using the analog adapter: is there no way to do a direct USB-to-USB connection PC-to-Eras?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @controlav 

Support, could we please get an update on this article covering using the USB line-in on the new Era models?

Excellent idea - done!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What about the original old speakers such as the Play 1 or Play 3?  Any hope for the original Sonos supporters who believed on your product when it all started? Or have we all been forgotten?  Thanks 

Huh? Those were never described as PC speakers, not intended for such use. Are you expecting a software update to magically add line-in, Bluetooth or digital inputs? You can use those today as you always have been able to, for music or as surrounds.

What about the original old speakers such as the Play 1 or Play 3?  Any hope for the original Sonos supporters who believed on your product when it all started? Or have we all been forgotten?  Thanks 

So I have followed the above steps and succesfully connected my Sonos Move to my pc via bluetooth and have it selected as the audio device but no sound comes through for anything, not even system sounds. All I want to do is play Minecraft without having to put my headphones on...

If you have the Move set to bluetooth mode, PC audio pointed to the Move, then the next thing I would check is that the you haven’t set the PC volume to mute.  I don’t think details of the Minecraft application, but it may have it’s own volume controls built in as well.  And of course, turn up volume on the Move.

So I have followed the above steps and succesfully connected my Sonos Move to my pc via bluetooth and have it selected as the audio device but no sound comes through for anything, not even system sounds. All I want to do is play Minecraft without having to put my headphones on...

Deleted 

Thanks for the content here James. 

This article appears to be as good a place as any to say this appears to be the end of my interest and investment into the Sonos ecosystem. I love my One / One SL combo and was excited by the idea of expanding it and having Sonos products in every room of the house. Open the wallet, no problem. Just show me the product that has a setting where you can use it as a regular speaker. Without knowing it was an issue I thought a pair of fives would do the trick. Or maybe I would play their ‘game’ and pony up for an amp or port or some little bypass switch built specifically for the ‘pros’ that would have the pricing to match tucked somewhere in a corner of the website. Surely this would exist! Sigh. 

Sonos started in 2002, that’s 20 years to regard this as a product gap worthy of attention. Clearly it’s not. DJs, PC gamers, content creators, Sonos is not for us. That’s pretty sad. 

OK.  Have you tried just playing the video on you laptop speakers and then, while it is playing, turn on Bluetooth and pair to the Roam?

TJMill,

When playing music the SONOS controller instructs the players where to find the music, then the players fetch the music directly from the source. At this point you could uninstall the controller and the music will continue. While Bluetooth sharing the computer must directly interact with the speakers.

@John B Thanks again for trying to help me out.  I really appreciate it.  Yes, I can play music from my sonos library on the laptop over wifi to the entire system, including the roam.  What I am trying to do is use the roam as a speaker for watching videos on my laptop. Basically, I am trying to get the roam to act like any other bluetooth speaker I have ever paired to the laptop and provide the sound from videos and web sites. That is what I can’t figure out. 

Hi.  I imagine this may vary between laptops, but I think the speaker selected in the sound settings is irrelevant once you are paired over Bluetooth.  Or rather, you would select the laptop speakers, and Bluetooth would redirect that to the Roam.

My other point is that if the Roam is connected to your your WiFi as part of your Sonos system then you will be able to play your music to it just as you cab to your other Sonos speakers.

I could be wrong on this - I never play from my laptop.

@John B Hi, thanks. What I meant was that after bluetooth pairing, I opened the sound settings to make sure that the roam actually appeared as an available speaker and had the little mark (showing my technical prowess here) next to it showing it was the speaker that should be playing. I do have my sonos music library set up and have no trouble playing music from the laptop on the rest of my system.  All that I want to do with the roam is to be able to connect via bluetooth and use it for sound when I am watching a movie or videos on my laptop.  The built in speakers are not that great.

@TJMill . HI. Could you explain what you mean by ‘set as the active speaker’?  Do you mean Bluetooth paired?

Alternatively If you want to play music files that are stored on your laptop using your network then you need to set up and use a Sonos Music Library.  Have you done that?

I connected my Roam to my Laptop by bluetooth & set it as the active speaker but I am not getting sound. I have a dell laptop running Windows 11. I downloaded updates for the Sonos software and a driver on the laptop. When I try to play a music file on Media Player I get this message: “Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.” Any thoughts as to what might be the problem?  The Roam works fine when I stream music from my phone.  Thanks for your help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Actually, “all” I am asking for is to be able to send PC audio to Sonos, as if Sonos were PC speakers, without having to use tricky to set up tools like Stream What You Here. Or maybe Sonos to incorporate SWYH into its app with an easy (or at least easier) interface and set-up.

AIUI, the Sonos app is just a remote control device for the speakers. So something on the PC needs to send the data stream to the speakers, and the speakers need to be told what to listen out for.  The speakers have a finite amount of memory. Whilst I don’t know what the capacities and limits/free memory may be at present, I for one do not want to stream from my pc so would prefer the currently free memory kept for other purposes. I do have a music library on my PC; I’m happy to play live gaming or online video to my (wired) PC speakers. 

Actually, “all” I am asking for is to be able to send PC audio to Sonos, as if Sonos were PC speakers, without having to use tricky to set up tools like Stream What You Here. Or maybe Sonos to incorporate SWYH into its app with an easy (or at least easier) interface and set-up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I can stream from Android to Sonos over the wifi connection, just asking to be able to do the same from a PC. I would have to spend more to get a Roam. Yes, there are numerous formats available, but most of us use only a small number of them, so even if it was only possible for the formats supported already that would be useful. 

Are you talking about streaming files from your Android? You can do that on the PC already, just right click on the file.

The request here is for “live streaming” ie with no delay, capturing the PC audio output and stream it, for movie use. That isn’t possible.

I can stream from Android to Sonos over the wifi connection, just asking to be able to do the same from a PC. I would have to spend more to get a Roam. Yes, there are numerous formats available, but most of us use only a small number of them, so even if it was only possible for the formats supported already that would be useful. 

How are you streaming from Android to Sonos?  Sonos can play music files stored on your phone and can play music files stored on your PC or a NAS.  I assume this isn’t what you’re referring to.  The original topic was to play any audio coming from your PC, whether it be music files, streamed podcasts, movies, youtube, games, whatever.