Tutorial

Using Sonos as PC Speakers

Using Sonos as PC Speakers

Show first post

109 replies

I can stream from Android to Sonos over the wifi connection, just asking to be able to do the same from a PC. I would have to spend more to get a Roam. Yes, there are numerous formats available, but most of us use only a small number of them, so even if it was only possible for the formats supported already that would be useful. 

“However, if you are considering integrating your computer sound into your Sonos system, we want to help you get the most out of your products”

So why not enable streaming over wireless from PC to Sonos?

Enable in what way?  Bluetooth?  Sonos has that available via Roam now. 

Are you asking for Sonos to write software to transmit audio from a PC to Sonos speakers over WiFi?  It’s not really ‘enabling’ streaming since streaming doesn’t exist.  Semantics, yes, but an important aspect to consider.  Also need to consder the various audio formats that audio could be in, including stereo 2.0, 5.1, atmos, etc, and the codecs possibly to consider who that will be properly handled.  Also need to factor in that PC audio will often accompanied with video, so the normal multiroom buffering with Sonos will not suffice.

“However, if you are considering integrating your computer sound into your Sonos system, we want to help you get the most out of your products”

So why not enable streaming over wireless from PC to Sonos? The whole point of Sonos speakers for many of us is that they are wireless. We have WiFi in our homes for the same reason, so why not enable that?

While I am fairly happy with my Sonos speakers, I cannot recommend them to others for this reason. Yes, I can use Stream What You Hear, but why should I have to use a third-party solution (that is also far from trivial to set up)?

Go to Settings → System → About My System and check Audio In: for ARC. This is the audio format being presented to ARC.

Why am I not getting surround sound with the toslink method from my pc to Arc? I get surround sound to my non Sonos receiver when using the toslink.

The article says that to connect a Playbar, Playbase, or Ray, your PC must be equipped with an Optical Out port. To connect the Ray to my laptop which only comes with a 3.5” headphone jack, I purchased a $15 analog to digital converter on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W5GNZX5. This works great to connect my laptop to the Ray and the converter box is very small (2.3” x 2.1”). The converter box gets power from a laptop USB A port. No need for a separate AC plug.

Badge +17

Hello, thank your for your article, but when you are connected with bluetooth to a Roam, is it possible to group two Sonos One SL at the same time ? And choose stereo mode with the One’s ?

Yes, this is possible 🙂

Hello, thank your for your article, but when you are connected with bluetooth to a Roam, is it possible to group two Sonos One SL at the same time ? And choose stereo mode with the One’s ?

Badge

Interesting article.

I am using 2 x Sonos One SL for my MacBook + Widescreen Home office setup, with AirPlay when I need bright sound. Not convenient for all uses (due to the delay) but still.