Tutorial

Using Sonos as PC Speakers

Using Sonos as PC Speakers

Show first post

109 replies

Soooo has no one here dealing with the audio to video delay thought of using VLC to watch their video? It does as i am sure others do hove the ability to adjust the audio video timing…. I mean, better to just get one that works imo, but if you just want to make what you have work it’s an option.

Side note, The bars that work without the delay also have the ability to pair with other devices so I take it the bar handles all the live encoding to sonos format and sends it to the otherwise “delayed” devices alowing a full undelayed setup?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Side note, The bars that work without the delay also have the ability to pair with other devices so I take it the bar handles all the live encoding to sonos format and sends it to the otherwise “delayed” devices alowing a full undelayed setup?

Soundbars work without delay only to Bound speakers ie surrounds & subs as they use the private 5GHz channel for audio. If you Group something to them the delay will kick in for the same reasons.

Thank you for the info, so bar and dedicated surround will be fine for movies and games. But if grouping outside of the surround setup only listen to music where you don't rely on syncing video.

Hi. This probably won’t help anyone or add anything to the discussion but I needed to speak lol

I’ve just came here to say that I had an awful day trying to set my first SONOS to my laptop. I spent hours on the phone or trying to sort it by myself. I was able to do it a couple of times but everytime I’d try to connect it to another device, I wouldn’t be able to re-connect it to my laptop.

When the speaker arrived I was truly excited about it and I thought I’d spend 5 minutes setting it up but I ended up wasting my whole day to learn that to use a SONOS as a laptop speaker is almost impossible.

It’s just sad. I’ve dreamed about buying one for years.

Now my day is ruined and I got a headache.

And just thinking that I now have to return it and look for an alternative just make me sick. Such a terrible experience.

Thanks very much SONOS!

Hi @EP87 

If your PC is a desktop PC, it should have an optical port - if so, you just want to connect your Ray directly to this port. Limit the output formats to PCM, Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS.

1. If there is no optical port, however, you will need a 3.5mm to optical converter (and that device will need to be an ADC) assuming you want to use a headphone or line-out 3.5mm socket on the PC. Or...
  2. A USB device that has an optical output would also work, but in this case it would basically be an external soundcard, and you would need to choose the correct sound device in Windows(?) for it to work. This will be (at least in theory) a better option as there is no unnecessary analogue stage, but also potentially more expensive (but should still be very affordable). There would be no DAC or ADC, however - just an external sound “card” with a digital connection straight to your Ray via optical.

I hope this helps.

Thanks a lot Corry for the explanations. Finally I decided to go for option 2, to get USB device that has external soundcard. Works like a charm! Sonos rocks! Thank you for your help 

Badge

I bought beam 2 and want connect with PC (mainboard: TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI + VGA: ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti) but no sound can hear from HDMI port base on mainboard or VGA, i change to use sonos HDMI to optical but still silent, what I have need to config or doing something to beam 2 working? Thanks a lot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I bought beam 2 and want connect with PC (mainboard: TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI + VGA: ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti) but no sound can hear from HDMI port base on mainboard or VGA, i change to use sonos HDMI to optical but still silent, what I have need to config or doing something to beam 2 working? Thanks a lot.

Deleted reply as there is a whole thread from the same person elsewhere.

hello,
has anyone been able to connect the ray to macbook air m2 as a speaker? i have tried but failed.

hello,
has anyone been able to connect the ray to macbook air m2 as a speaker? i have tried but failed.

Could you describe how you “tried but failed”?