Answered

Unable to connect Sonos Arc or Play:1 to Sonos 2 app or wifi

• 21 June 2021
  • 2 replies

So I’ve used Sonos products before an never had a problem with them, I have just purchased a Sonos Arc and cannot get this setup at all.  I am using the Sonos 2 app, I can see the arc, go through the setup to add the Arc to my WIFI and I cannot get this to work nor my old play:1 speaker,

These are the only devices I have a problem with, everything else connects to WiFi and works as expected.  I have reset both devices numerous times, reset WiFi, changed WiFi settings and nothing works at all.

i don’t want to have to return the Arc (I was going to buy the sub and rear speakers) but I cam close to giving up.  Such a massive disappointment for such and expensive product that just does not work.

please help!

icon

Best answer by Offline09 22 June 2021, 11:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

A couple of things to try. 

First, a simple reboot of your router might be in order. It’s possible it’s in a state where it is blocking the assignment of the IP address to the Arc and PLAY:1. 

Second, if that doesn’t work, try temporarily wiring an ethernet cable between the router and the Arc, and see if it completes setup that way. If so, try the same with the PLAY:1. Or maybe reverse the order, surely it is easier to put the PLAY:1 closer to the router to get it wired directly than it is to move the Arc, or string a longer ethernet cable. If it doesn’t work on the PLAY:1, it likely won’t work on the Arc.

If neither of those work, it might be nice to post what router you have, so that we can see if they are one of the troubled sets (BT and Asus come to mind), and if someone has particular knowledge to share, they can do so. 

And before you return anything, you really may want to try calling Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

OK so after a LOT of messing around last night I got it working and have figured out the problem!  I ended up factory resetting my Asus Router (mesh wifi) and splitting the WIFI bands.  My original setup was sharing the bands and after splitting to seperate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels, it now all works.

And the Arc sounds absolutely amazing, so I have gone from tearing my hair out to be over the moon!

Some things I have learnt through troubleshooting and googling:

• With Asus routers ensure Airtime Fairness is turned OFF
  • Split your WIFI bands, so seperate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Channels, it seems that Sonos devices have problems connecting to a shared setup.

Thanks for your reply!