Answered

Samsung QN85A, AppleTV 4K, DIRECTV Stream, Arc + Beam

• 17 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Long time fan, first time poster. (And I know it says Bean, not Beam, above. Why can you edit the post and not the question?!)

Two (2) Samsung QN85A TVs - one connected to an Arc and another to a Beam (Gen 2).

Stream apps through AppleTV 4K (Gen 1), connected using eARC w/ HDMI 2.1 cables. 

When using the above with the DIRECTV Stream app, often, very often, there will be no sound when turning everything on, or changing a channel.

If I flip around a bit, it eventually corrects itself, but something isn’t right. It should all just work. And it does, albeit insanely inconsistently.

See others having similar issues. Any ideas?

(Need DIRECTV Stream for to follow my regional sports teams, otherwise I’d dump it.) 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 18 April 2022, 19:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SBL4 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

And I know it says Bean, not Beam, above. Why can you edit the post and not the question?!

I’m not sure, but moderators can change it for you - as you can see 😁

As for the issue, this sounds suspiciously like a CEC conflict. I recommend you disable CEC on the DIRECTV, if you can. It may help to reboot the TV by unplugging it from power for a minute afterwards.

I don’t know if the DIRECTV box can update itself, but I recommend you check for any available updates.

I hope this helps.

Corry,

Thank you. I’m streaming via the DIRECTV app on an AppleTV 4K (1st Gen). All the other apps seem to work fine … this sound thing only really exists with that one app. Driving me nuts. 

Userlevel 7

Corry,

Thank you. I’m streaming via the DIRECTV app on an AppleTV 4K (1st Gen). All the other apps seem to work fine … this sound thing only really exists with that one app. Driving me nuts. 

If you set the Change Format audio setting on the Apple TV to ON and the Audio Format to Dolby Digital, do you still experience the problem? 

If you disable eARC on your TV, does it fix the problem?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SBL4 

Apologies - I’m not sure where I got the idea that your DIRECTV was a box and not an app.

@GuitarSuperstar has come up with some much more useful advice 😁