List of TV’s that will pass 5.1 from HDMI Sources to Playbar

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

370 replies

jjonesx86,

It would be useful if you gave the complete model numbers. For example each SAMSUNG model year for the past several years has had an "8500" model, but the feature list is different for each year. For example the newest model would be PNnnF8500 (nn is the size), but there might be a few "E" series units in distribution.

And, unfortunately, any of the TV's can tinker with the feature list with firmware updates.
Badge
Does anyone know if the Samsung UN65JS8500 will pass 5.1 through optical? I have a UN65JU7100 which does. But the price has dropped on the TVs and I am considering upgrading to the 8500 series, but would like to know if it will pass through 5.1 sound like the 7100 series does.

Thanks!

i am thinking of getting the 7100 set you mention. Have you enjoyed that set or have any complaints? iI don't care for 3d but the set seems to get good reviews. Crutchfield is running a nice sale on it at the moment.

I'm taking delivery of a 75JU7100 in a coupe of days. I've done lots of research and am still unclear if 5.1 is available from the TV TOS."Some" say it works if you have 5.1 going to the TV. I'm assuming it doesn't and ordered a Monoprice HDMI/TOS switch and will use ARC to make sure all feeds to the Playbar (and surround sound using Sub and 2 Play 1's) are 5.1.
Userlevel 2
Badge
My 2011 Sony XBR 55HX929 is able to output DD 5.1 using the digital output. If I don't turn off the internal speakers of the TV it will only be stereo sound. As soon as I turn off the Sony internal TV speakers my receiver indicator switch to DD. The receiver does have a display that will tell.

I did the test because I am planning to get a Sonos Playbar plus the Sub next week.

The only problem is the annoying message I get on the TV stating that the TV volume is fixed. Will take care of that when the time comes. I already read here the solution for that.
Badge
Hi TrevorFL --

Did you have to turn off the Sony internal TV speakers from the TV set-up menu? And could you give the link where to find the instructions on how to turn off the message stating that the TV volume is fixed?

Thanks!
Same question here, am looking at the Samsung UN65JS8500 or Sony XBR65X900C, can anyone confirm if any of these pass 5.1 through the optical to playbar. Also not only from TV sources but from connected devices. Thanks.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi TrevorFL --

Did you have to turn off the Sony internal TV speakers from the TV set-up menu? And could you give the link where to find the instructions on how to turn off the message stating that the TV volume is fixed?

Thanks!

Hello WifiStrut.

Yes, I did turn off the Sony internal speakers from the TV set-up menu. Otherwise the sound coming out thru the optical will be stereo only.

Immediately after I turn the internal speakers off, the TV automatically start sending DD audio signal out. No DTS, only DD. But once I do this I start getting the annoying message from the TV every time I change the volume. "TV volume is fixed".

I don't know if there is a way for the TV to turn off the "volume is fixed" withing the TV itself. I did play with almost all the settings and was unable to find it.

What I mentioned in my previous post is that someone suggested at the begining of this topic to use a different brand of remote control other than Sony or something like it. I will need to go back and read again that particular post once I get my Sonos playbar.

Hope I was able to help you. Have a good day.
Same question here, am looking at the Samsung UN65JS8500 or Sony XBR65X900C, can anyone confirm if any of these pass 5.1 through the optical to playbar. Also not only from TV sources but from connected devices. Thanks.

Based on the research I've done (mostly the CNET reviewers who appear to know their stuff and answer almost all questions), the Samsung 8500 can pass through 5.1 through optical from other sources connected to it. But, I asked them the question directly to make sure.

Anyone else?
Badge
jjonesx86,

It would be useful if you gave the complete model numbers. For example each SAMSUNG model year for the past several years has had an "8500" model, but the feature list is different for each year. For example the newest model would be PNnnF8500 (nn is the size), but there might be a few "E" series units in distribution.

And, unfortunately, any of the TV's can tinker with the feature list with firmware updates.

These are the models of Samsung plasmas that we tested - PN64F8500, PN60F8500 and PN51F8500.
Badge
FWIW, I can confirm the Samsung UN75JU7100 doe NOT pass 5.1 via TOS from a HDMI input.

I'm using a Monoprice HDMI/TOS switch (http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7974) which works well. I've got Charter Cable/Chromecast/Samsung BD/XboxOne feeding a Playbar, Sub and 2 X Play1s.

The only downside were the multiple remotes, which I solved with a Harmony Elite (Love it.)
jjonesx86,

Thanks for the clarification as this will help others.
Any idea about the Sony XBR65X900C or LG 65EF900. Thanks.
Userlevel 2
Anyone have experience with LG TV's other than the 55LX9500 listed on the first page of this thread?

I'm buying my new TV and the playbar at the same time so I have flexibility.

I'm specifically considering 47LM7600 (2012) or 47LA7400 (2013). The best text I can find in their manual is, "Audio with ACP (Audio Copy Protection) function may block digital audio output."

thanks in advance!
I posted this in another forum a bit earlier but thought it might be relevant to this one if you are not get the 5.1 output.
My experiences with this are that when I connected to the TV I only got the stereo output from my Samsung TV optical out which was a bit disappointing and not much difference to the Bose Solo it replaced. The TV was being fed it's signal from an HD Skybox but the output from the TV downgraded it to stereo. Having done a bit of research I connected the Playbar direct to the Sky box optical out. This immediately improved the sound quality but then produced the problem that if I wanted to use a DVD player I had to reconnect the TV to the Playbar, something that was going to wear out cables and connections which I was not happy with. I got round this by connecting a Maplin Rotary Optical switch (£14.99) between the two inputs from Sky and TV. Now I can watch a DVD albeit in only stereo(it has no optical out) out simply by turning the rotary switch. For info, lip syncing between the Skybox and playbar is fine. Finally what outputs did I see if I checked the SONOS settings. The answer is for example with BBC News I get 'PauseBurst' and then other variations depending on what I watch and I see Dolby 5.1 with a lot of high end stuff and Dolby 2.0 with the rest. Therefore what signal is fed to your Playbar depends on what you are watching
Samsung 50C6970 passes 5.1 through optical output, tested with playstation3.

may i use this thread to point to an (from my view) extremely important issue/ ask entry
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/switch_play_3s_between_surround_for_tv_and_stereo_pair_for_music

that pairing/unpairing pain needs to be fixed - adding play3s & a sub to the playbar for a tv show / dvd by pressing buttons each time is a show-stopper for me, as the same happens while unpairing them to get the play3s and the sub back for music listing ( i know pairing the sub with the playbar and then grouping the play3s for music listing could be a work around, but only for music sessions.....)
Badge +4
Hello all. I currently have a Yamaha soundbar, with a connect, along with a Humax Foxsat HDR, Sony bluray player and Sony KDL40HX853 TV set. The soundbar has a blown speaker and needs to be replaced. As a loyal Sonos user I am obviously tempted by the Playbar. Does anyone know if the above tv will pass DD5.1 from hdmi from the Humax and Bluray inputs? I appreciate the DTS limitation and I don't think the Sony bd decks will convert to DD.

Also, how about the Sub? How deep does the Playbar go?
I have a brand new Samsung 60" 7500 series and it DOES NOT pass thru 5.1 from a directv input. The 7500 is an upper scale tv so I dont know how a lesser value TV will pass thru when their better TV's dont.
Badge +4
I think I've answered my own question, looking at the display on the Yamaha, if I leave it looking at the TV optical input, it switches to DD5.1 if I feed the screen with a DVD and won't let me defeat the 5.1 mix it's decoding with a DSP program. Therefore I think my tv is passing on DD5.1 data correctly. If anyone thinks otherwise, or could suggest any other tests then do let me know. Otherwise we can add this TV to the list.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Mfr: Sony
Model: KDL-55HX800
Firmware: PKG4.114AAT

Passes DD 5.1 through optical cable

Any chance newer sets will pass DTS (with the hope that the PLAYBAR will add this as well?)
Hey Guys,

Just noticed today that my TV (UE55H7080) also doesn't pass the 5.1 Signal from my Plastation 4 that is connected to my HDMI Input on my TV. The Playstation 4 is configured as in the Sonos Guide (https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3075/~/configuring-your-playstation-4-to-output-dolby-digital-5.1)

I actually noticed today that my TV was configured wrong the entire time ://// The Audio Format was set to "PCM" the entire time. As soon as I changed it to Dolby Digital, the difference was huuuuuuge. I actually feel pretty stupid now. See the attached image for the option.

However, that doesn't change anything about the 5.1 Redirection Problem. So as long as i use the TV or using the Netflix App on my TV 5.1 works. However what would you guys do, to bring the PS4 to fly? Some sort of Toslink Switch?

Thanks!
Badge
Hello WifiStrut.

Yes, I did turn off the Sony internal speakers from the TV set-up menu. Otherwise the sound coming out thru the optical will be stereo only.

Immediately after I turn the internal speakers off, the TV automatically start sending DD audio signal out. No DTS, only DD. But once I do this I start getting the annoying message from the TV every time I change the volume. "TV volume is fixed".

I don't know if there is a way for the TV to turn off the "volume is fixed" withing the TV itself. I did play with almost all the settings and was unable to find it.

What I mentioned in my previous post is that someone suggested at the begining of this topic to use a different brand of remote control other than Sony or something like it. I will need to go back and read again that particular post once I get my Sonos playbar.

Hope I was able to help you. Have a good day.

Hi TrevorFL --

Thanks. greatly appreciated! However, I tried ti find that in the sound option but could find it. Could you detail me where this option is?

(I didn't have a optical cable plugged into the TV, the option might only appear when a cable is plugged...?)

-cheers-

Any chance newer sets will pass DTS (with the hope that the PLAYBAR will add this as well?)

Traditionally, the video industry does not think through audio details very seriously. I think that SONOS hired an experienced video engineer to manage the PLAYBAR project and this engineer brought all of the standard best practices along. Unfortunately, industry "best practices" are a little short in the audio department. Even in the pre high definition days, TV audio was an unloved stepchild.

I have a friend who helped design the studio facilities of a local TV station. He is very particular and carefully matched all of the video cable lengths to insure the best color match between cameras and video processing chains. Here and there you'll find piles of video cable in racks and under the floor who's only function is to equalize cable lengths.

Audio processing!? While better than other stations in the area with respect to lipsync, there are still issues. Even in the control room, lipsync issues are observable. When I complain about lipsync issues the stare that comes back is classic: "Guy, what is it about lipsync that you don't understand? It's gone."

With respect to TV sets, it is possible that a future firmware update might improve things, but it could also degrade audio features if someone is not paying attention (and they usually don't).

Since SONOS has strong audio roots, they are more likely to attempt an improvement.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I found this thread very difficult to follow!
I have tried to list the tvs which people say are 5.1 passthrough able
I

Hi Patman. Welcome to the community.
To add-on to your post. Here's an article with more information that may help: Television Compatibility with the PLAYBAR.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi TrevorFL --

Thanks. greatly appreciated! However, I tried ti find that in the sound option but could find it. Could you detail me where this option is?

(I didn't have a optical cable plugged into the TV, the option might only appear when a cable is plugged...?)

-cheers-

Hello WifiStrut...

I noticed that your Sony TV model is not the same. Was looking at the manual of your TV and we don't have the same remote control.

Page 30 of your TV manual mention the following:

"Settings
The Settings icon contains all of the necessary configurations to customize your TV settings. The options you can select may vary. Unavailable options are grayed out or not displayed.
Picture: adjust the picture on your TV to fit your viewing preference.
Sound: customize your sound settings to suit your audio preference. You can also change the settings to output the sound to your connected audio equipment. Screen: adjust the size and shape of the images you see on the screen."

It also mention that is there is an option grayed out will mean that the selection or option is not available.

Maybe that will be the answer, but I am not sure. Let me know if you managed.

Have a good day!
Sony XBR65X850C 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart LED TV (2015 Model) DOES passthrough Digital Dolby from HDMI to Optical :)

Samsung UN55H6350 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz Smart LED TV (2014 Model) does NOT passthrough Digital Dolby from HDMI to Optical 😞
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Since SONOS has strong audio roots, they are more likely to attempt an improvement.

Well I certainly hope it's a firmware revision to support DTS and not a hardware revision as that would be really bad for existing customers.