List of TV’s that will pass 5.1 from HDMI Sources to Playbar

Userlevel 2
All,
Would you mind listing your TV and mode/year in this thread if you have tested it and confirmed it will pass DD 5.1 to the Playbar and from what source. This will help those of us in the market for a new TV and playbar.

Thanks

MikeB.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

370 replies

Badge
I found this thread very difficult to follow!

I have tried to list the tvs which people say are 5.1 passthrough able

LG 55LX9500
42PFLG008K/12
Samsung PN43D490
Samsung UN55C6500VF
Samsung UN*JU7100
Samsung TV - UE46ES8000U
Sony 46EX400
Sony KDL32EX400
Sony KDL55EX720
Sony kdl-46nx713
Sony KDL46EX400
65x8505
Sony KDL55EX500
Sony KDL xxNX800/KDL-xxNX810
Sony KDL-37W5500
Sony XBR 55HX929
Sony Bravia 55W905A
XBR-55X850A
Vizio XVT3D554SV
vizio E601i-A3
Philips 55PFL8007
Mfr: LG Model: LM8600 Firmware: 04.34.02
Sony 55" HX925
Vizio XVT553SV
Sony model KDL-60EX645
samsung UE55ES8000
LG LW550T
LG 47LA740V
LG 55" 3D Smart LED-TV 55LA660V
LG 47LM670T
Samsung PN60F8500AF
LG 60" Plasma-TV 60PN650T
Toshiba 50L5200U
Samsung 55UNF6300
Samsung LED F8500
Samsung PS64F8500
LG42LH5000
LG 60PM670S
Sharp's Aquos LC-60LE650U
Samsung UN60H6300* - after being pretty upset for a few months at my Sonos 5.1 Home Theater setup and my need to switch optical from diff connections, I tried something that was shared earlier in this thread. I hooked my ATV to the HDMI, ran the optical from the TV to the Playbar, and made a critical change in my samsung's settings....Sound > Additional Settings > Audio Format > Dolby Digital. I have DD 5.1 being passed through for my HDMI
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Based off our testing, these models are able to pass 5.1 through the Optical Out of the TV.

• LG 55LX9500
  • Samsung PN43D490
  • Samsung UN55C6500VF
  • Sony 46EX400
  • Sony KDL32EX400
  • Sony KDL46EX400
  • Sony KDL55EX500
  • Sony KDL xxNX800/KDL-xxNX810
  • Vizio XVT3D554SV

These have worked with external components such as, Bluray, Apple TV and Cable boxes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Anyone knows if the Sony KDL-42W705B pass pass 5.1? Thanks

Ive got a 42W-653A which works fine so the answer is probably yes.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
This thread is impossible to try to search. Is there a wiki somewhere we could create?

In meantime I’m wondering if a Samsung 65MU8000 (http://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-uhd-tvs/65--class-mu8000-4k-uhd-tv-un65mu8000fxza/) will pass DD5.1 through optical for playbar.

Anyone know?

While it would be of some benefit to them, you're essentially asking Sonos to maintain a list of what other company's products will do. The optimal person to ask if a device will pass DD5.1 through optical is the company selling it. It's second-hand information from anyone else.
Sorry mods, I posted this elsewhere but think it belongs here. Could you add the TV to the master list please?

I’ve found another TV that works:

Panasonic 50-EX700B

I assume that also means the other sizes of 700B, along with the 600B and 750B ranges will also work. I got a pretty awesome Black Friday deal from John Lewis including a free 5 year warranty.

By “it works” I mean that it passes 5.1 on to the Sonos via optical. My set up is:

Sky+ HD Box > HDMI > TV HDMI 1
Panasonic Blu-Ray > HDMI > TV HDMI 2
TV > Digital Optical > Playbase

It all looks and sounds fantastic. The TV is 4K, and streams Netflix and Amazon Prime in 4K/HDR, and they also output in 5.1. The Blu-ray upscales to 4K and is outputting 5.1. Sky HD is HD only (no Q yet!) but is outputting 5.1.

Panasonic don’t seem to feature in any of the earlier posts and wider tests, so I was delighted to get this working and to share it with you all as an option!

I had to fiddle with the settings quite a bit on all parts of the chain, so if anyone attempts the same set up and gets stuck, give me a shout
Can we start populating this thread with known valid sets passing 5.1 from HDMI? I would love to get some confirmation of supported sets. I am sure many others as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
This is a great list and living thread that'd be great to keep going. I'm going to sticky it here on the board so it's easy to access. We don't maintain a complete list of devices that pass Dolby but let's see what we all can do here about updating this thread with the latest devices we've found which do.What would be really helpful would be a printable list / summary of the TVs that PlayBar is fully 5.1 compatible with.

Having to search this 2 year old thread looking for what TV to buy is just not viable. Say we want to buy a new TV (which we do!) and we want to ensure it will work in full 5.1 with our PlayBar (which our current TV does not) then a list we can take to the store or use for an internet search is the way to go. Looking for a new TV, finding a great one and then having to double check if it works with PlayBar and finding it does not, is going to be a real pain!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
This is a great list and living thread that'd be great to keep going. I'm going to sticky it here on the board so it's easy to access. We don't maintain a complete list of devices that pass Dolby but let's see what we all can do here about updating this thread with the latest devices we've found which do.What would be really helpful would be a printable list / summary of the TVs that PlayBar is fully 5.1 compatible with.

Having to search this 2 year old thread looking for what TV to buy is just not viable. Say we want to buy a new TV (which we do!) and we want to ensure it will work in full 5.1 with our PlayBar (which our current TV does not) then a list we can take to the store or use for an internet search is the way to go. Looking for a new TV, finding a great one and then having to double check if it works with PlayBar and finding it does not, is going to be a real pain!

That's a good suggestion, we'd probably have to start with curating this thread into a more condensed list and then spread out from there. If it helps, we have a list here of TVs that we've seen not to work for some reason with workarounds where available: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1931/

Unfortunately that list isn't complete, it gets updated as we find TVs and there are constantly new brands and models coming out.
Note that the configuration below is after going into the Service Menu (used a Harmony remote and access password 0413) and changing EDID from PCM to AC3. I don't know if this is required as I changed this from the start.

Mfr: LG
Model: LM8600
Firmware: 04.34.02

How is audio passed from HDMI inputs to TOSLINK: PCM and 5.1
Are analog audio inputs passed through to TOSLINK? unknown
Is audio from IP streaming (if any) passed through as PCM stereo? Yes 5.1? No, DD2.0 [only tested built-in Plex client]
Can the TV's speakers be switched OFF? Yes
If switched OFF are there any annoying on screen messages when a TV IR volume command is received? Yes (workaround is to use different mfg signal for PlayBar controls)
Userlevel 1
Badge
Samsung UN*JU7100 series does not pass Dolby Digital 5.1 from HDMI to Optical. It does pass 5.1 DD through the native TV applications. This is very frustrating.
I found this thread very difficult to follow!

I have tried to list the tvs which people say are 5.1 passthrough able

LG 55LX9500
42PFLG008K/12
Samsung PN43D490
Samsung UN55C6500VF
Samsung UN*JU7100
Samsung TV - UE46ES8000U
Sony 46EX400
Sony KDL32EX400
Sony KDL55EX720
Sony kdl-46nx713
Sony KDL46EX400
65x8505
Sony KDL55EX500
Sony KDL xxNX800/KDL-xxNX810
Sony KDL-37W5500
Sony XBR 55HX929
Sony Bravia 55W905A
XBR-55X850A
Vizio XVT3D554SV
vizio E601i-A3
Philips 55PFL8007
Mfr: LG Model: LM8600 Firmware: 04.34.02
Sony 55" HX925
Vizio XVT553SV
Sony model KDL-60EX645
samsung UE55ES8000
LG LW550T
LG 47LA740V
LG 55" 3D Smart LED-TV 55LA660V
LG 47LM670T
Samsung PN60F8500AF
LG 60" Plasma-TV 60PN650T
Toshiba 50L5200U
Samsung 55UNF6300
Samsung LED F8500
Samsung PS64F8500
LG42LH5000
LG 60PM670S
Sharp's Aquos LC-60LE650U
Userlevel 1
I really just want to find a damn TV that will handle the HDMI switching and output 5.1 but that is proving difficult.

I'm still trying to figure out what Sonos was thinking with the Playbar design, since it's so difficult to find a TV that actually outputs 5.1 over optical. I started a whole thread on that so I won't rehash again here, but I'm stumped what they expected us to do. Did they expect us to all get HDMI switchers or optical routers? Did they expect us to figure out what TVs can do this seemingly impossible task?
Badge
My Samsung UE55JS9000 passes 5.1 through optical to my Playbar
Badge
Hi,

Just want to add LG 47lh3000 to the list of compatible Tv's that will pass through 5.1 DD to the Playbar.
Just wanted to share that the LG 55EG9100 OLED TV will pass through 5.1 for native applications (Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, etc.) but will NOT do 5.1 passthrough via HDMI for external sources like Blu Ray players or the XBox One, PS4 or XBox 360.

Frustrating, but the incredible picture on this TV and absolutely dead perfect black levels (even better than my Panasonic GT30 that it replaced) is enough for me to still be incredibly happy with the TV.

As a work around, for about two years now, I have been using this optical switch. http://amzn.com/B00BB0GY1C

For external sources, I send an toslink connection out of my source and into the switch and then send the one output on the switch to the Sonos Playbar. The switch has its own remote control, but it is very tiny and pretty crappy. However, the switch will sync with a Harmony remote for even more convenience. It works perfectly and should be an optimal solution for most of the users on this forum that want Dolby 5.1 from all sources through their Playbar.
Userlevel 2
Sad to report, the Sharp 80LE632U doesn't seem to pass 5.1 through optical. Tested it with Motorola STB (U-verse) pushing HBO/Cinemax movies, and a PS3 pushing different BluRay's. No matter what I tried, everything was in stereo.

So I'm left with a dilemma. Pick up the TOSLink HDMI switch to replace my RocketFish one (which sits in a closet in rear of room) and run optical from it all the way over ceiling back down to TV, or just stick with stereo surround? It sounds like most new BluRay's are encoded in DTS which the soundbar can't decode regardless if it's coming from TV or AVR/Switch. Hopefully this gets fixed by a firmware update.

The current surround set up sounds pretty damn good, even if it's a stereo signal trumped up to sound like 5.1. How much better/clearer would it really be in DD? I don't really have a frame of reference to compare.

Hoping the next gen soundbar Sonos puts out has an HDMI input which could be run directly from the TV. This would get around the compliance thing wouldn't it? As the TV simply gets its input through HDMI 1, and passes it out over HDMI 2?
James, I believe that the current version of the Octava switch (June, 2015) supports 4K video but anyone needing this should check with Octava support to make sure. They are very responsive.
Badge

Sorry mods, I posted this elsewhere but think it belongs here. Could you add the TV to the master list please?

I’ve found another TV that works:

Panasonic 50-EX700B

I assume that also means the other sizes of 700B, along with the 600B and 750B ranges will also work. I got a pretty awesome Black Friday deal from John Lewis including a free 5 year warranty.

By “it works” I mean that it passes 5.1 on to the Sonos via optical. My set up is:

Sky+ HD Box > HDMI > TV HDMI 1
Panasonic Blu-Ray > HDMI > TV HDMI 2
TV > Digital Optical > Playbase

It all looks and sounds fantastic. The TV is 4K, and streams Netflix and Amazon Prime in 4K/HDR, and they also output in 5.1. The Blu-ray upscales to 4K and is outputting 5.1. Sky HD is HD only (no Q yet!) but is outputting 5.1.

Panasonic don’t seem to feature in any of the earlier posts and wider tests, so I was delighted to get this working and to share it with you all as an option!

I had to fiddle with the settings quite a bit on all parts of the chain, so if anyone attempts the same set up and gets stuck, give me a shout

@juhunio did you upgrade to Sky Q and if so are you getting issues.

I have the EX700B - 50 the same as you. plugged into my Soundbar. I am getting DD 5.1. However I am getting a high pitch noise when you pause the TV, FFWD or RWD, playing is fine. Only seems to be an issue on SKY Q box. Firestick4k is passing through 5.1 no issues. be good to knwo if you tested Sky Q with this TV and if you resolved the issues?

Userlevel 2
Just got my LG LW550T (2011) to pass through 5.1 dolby digital from hdmi to optical. Required access to the service menu to enable the function. Hopefully this will be of use for some of you LG owners out there. Very happy with my playbar now.
Badge
Userlevel 2
To enable on an LG tv....

Credit to mike at avsforums:

To enabl DD 5.1 passthrough, first access the service menu. Just go to the AC3 EDID D/L menu and click the "Start" button. All lines change to AC3(ok) and now your DD 5.1 coming in through your HDMI inputs is passed as DD 5.1 on the optical out of the TV! No more DD 5.1 --> Stereo downconvert.
Badge +1

Hi @Mark_124 

Sorry, no we didn’t. We ditched box-based TV providers a year or so ago in favour of an Apple TV 4K, through which we stream everything (including occasional Now TV passes if we want any Sky content)

Haven’t experienced any problems with it, but can’t help with your Sky Q issue unfortunately

Userlevel 2
LG 47LA740V LED works with 5.1

Had to update the firmware manually on my Sky+ Box (press Backup on the box itself during power on) and wait 10 mins. After that 5.1 everywhere.
Badge

Ive got a 42W-653A which works fine so the answer is probably yes.

Thanks
Userlevel 2
Hi Everyone,

I am new to Sonos and new to this forum. Last week I bought my first Sonos component, Play:3, which I have in the kitchen. I am so impressed that I have decided to expand Sonos into my living room. My plan is: 2 x Play:3, Sub and Playbar.

However, before I go ahead I would like to know if my TV, Sony KDL 46w4000, is able to pass through 5.1.

The manual says:"Set to Auto when equipment compatible with Dolby Digital is connected, and set to PCM when non-compatible equipment is connected".

Does this mean that my TV is able to pass through 5.1?