List of TV’s that will pass 5.1 from HDMI Sources to Playbar

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

370 replies

Sony KDL-32R505C works after Setting AV from PCM to automatic (Basic Settings -> AV Settings -> Digital Audio Output)
Userlevel 2
Strange, my Samsung LE40C750 (2010) always shows Dolby Digital 5.1. Whether I watch TV or Netflix via my Apple TV (HDMI).
Userlevel 2
Hello Forum,

First post, new member.

My Samsung UE55F9000STXXU is sending a Dolby Digital output to my Sonos Playbar (both bought at the same time as the TV, 10 days ago). The TV is running firmware version 1008, and came with 1006 installed, it upgraded as part of the setup. I am UK based, and am using Sky+ HD, Apple TV, Samsung BD-F7500/XU Blue Ray, and X-Box. My Sonos system is 'up to date'.

To enable Dolby Digital I did the following:
1. Sky SETTINGS>SOUND>DIGITAL AUDIO OUPUT - HDMI=DOLBY D
2. TV MENU>SOUND>ADDITIONAL SETTINGS>DIGITAL AUDIO OUT=DOLBY DIGITAL
3. iPAD SONOS>SETTINGS>ABOUT MY SONOS=PLAYBAR, AUDIO IN: Dolby Digital 2.0

Happy chappy!

I read plenty of posts and horror stories on this Forum, and figured it out. Just got to save up for my Play 1's to finish the surround part...................

I hope this information is of use to some of you.
Badge +2
This thread is impossible to try to search. Is there a wiki somewhere we could create?

In meantime I’m wondering if a Samsung 65MU8000 (http://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-uhd-tvs/65--class-mu8000-4k-uhd-tv-un65mu8000fxza/) will pass DD5.1 through optical for playbar.

Anyone know?

While it would be of some benefit to them, you're essentially asking Sonos to maintain a list of what other company's products will do. The optimal person to ask if a device will pass DD5.1 through optical is the company selling it. It's second-hand information from anyone else.

I'm not asking sonos to do this. I'm posting in the community making a suggestion for a community maintained wiki.
Welcome to the forum.

Note that your Playbar reports receiving a DD 2.0 signal from your Samsung. DD 2.0 is not a surround sound format.

This thread is to document those TV's that provide a native DD 5.1 output, which is a surround format.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
This thread is impossible to try to search. Is there a wiki somewhere we could create?

In meantime I’m wondering if a Samsung 65MU8000 (http://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-uhd-tvs/65--class-mu8000-4k-uhd-tv-un65mu8000fxza/) will pass DD5.1 through optical for playbar.

Anyone know?

While it would be of some benefit to them, you're essentially asking Sonos to maintain a list of what other company's products will do. The optimal person to ask if a device will pass DD5.1 through optical is the company selling it. It's second-hand information from anyone else.

I'm not asking sonos to do this. I'm posting in the community making a suggestion for a community maintained wiki.
Sorry for the confusion, I think that's a good idea. I don't know if their board software offers any functionality along those lines.
Userlevel 2
Hi NoBoB,

Agreed.

But,

I only have a Playbar & Sub, no surround speakers...........yet. Prior to configuring the Sky box, the About Sonos Setting was reporting 2ch Stereo not DD2.0. Lastly after configuring the Sky box, to output DD over HDMI, I was able to tell the TV to output DD through the optical connection, this 'feature' was greyed out and not accessible prior to enabling DD over HDMI in the Sky settings.
I have been a Sonos user and fan for over 12 years. In the beginning they were cutting edge in digital music. But it appears they have created a compatibility mess for those of us that like sonos but have to jump through tech hoops to find work around if we want our surround sound and sonos to work together. Other (less expensive) sound bars offer great sound but doesn't sync with sonos. I am frustrated from trying to get a straight answer from sonos. How hard can it be to incooperate current digital TV audio technology into your TV audio products?
Userlevel 2
Lastly after configuring the Sky box, to output DD over HDMI, I was able to tell the TV to output DD through the optical connection, this 'feature' was greyed out and not accessible prior to enabling DD over HDMI in the Sky settings.

Hmm... my Sky+ HD box doesn't seem to want to let me output DD over HDMI. On the Sound settings page it has one line for Audio Output - with the option for Mono or Stereo, then another line for Digital Audio Output - Optical (which I can set to DD), but no option for Digital Audio Output - HDMI....

Any ideas? How did you get to the option to set the HDMI audio?
I wanted to purchase a playbar today however after reading about this I'm worried my tv doesn't pass through 5.1. Would anyone know? I have an LG 60PN6500.
Userlevel 2
I think the answer to my own post is to get a newer Sky box...looks like mine doesn't support DD over HDMI 😞
I wanted to purchase a playbar today however after reading about this I'm worried my tv doesn't pass through 5.1. Would anyone know? I have an LG 60PN6500.

Sorry, it's a LG 60PA6500
Userlevel 2
Sony Bravia 55W905A supports HDMI pass-through. Just got my 2 Play:1's and a happy user (besides DTS) 😉
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Check rtings.com.
Userlevel 2
Samsung UN65F7100 will pass 5.1 for its internal smart applications like Netflix etc but NOT HDMI inputs like Directv. Instead of the Monoprice switch most have recommended here I wanted something like could mount nicely to the back of the TV. I used the J-Tech Digital HDMI extractor which is 1:1 with the optical stripped and works perfectly on Playbar. I'm new so I cannot post the link yet but it's on Amazon.
Check rtings.com.

Didn't look like anything was posted regarding this TV. I had the TV connected to a Denon receiver via ARC. To test optical 5.1 pass through, I disconnected ARC and connected the components (cable box and FireTV (Kodi)) to the TV directly and using an optical audio cable from TV to receiver. Watching a 5.1 DTS movie on Kodi - the back speakers seem to be working correctly. Would this mean if I purchased a playbar and used two play 1s, I would not have an issue with surround sound?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Dissapointed to find out that the Samsung UE46ES8000 doesn't pass 5.1 from HDMI sources out of the optical (despite suggestions here otherwise) as the comment above it works fine passing 5.1 from the built in tuner and from smart hub apps like netflix, but wont pass the 5.1 from my SKY+HD box or PS3 for example.

Can anybody/SONOS comment on why some manufactures support this and others don't, is it a hardware limitation of Samsung as they seem to be the main culprit or some licensing issue?

I've just got my first piece of SONOS kit the Play1 and love so much such that I planned and getting the playbar,sub and another play1 to complement it but this is really putting me off.
Badge +1
Sorry mods, I posted this elsewhere but think it belongs here. Could you add the TV to the master list please?

I’ve found another TV that works:

Panasonic 50-EX700B

I assume that also means the other sizes of 700B, along with the 600B and 750B ranges will also work. I got a pretty awesome Black Friday deal from John Lewis including a free 5 year warranty.

By “it works” I mean that it passes 5.1 on to the Sonos via optical. My set up is:

Sky+ HD Box > HDMI > TV HDMI 1
Panasonic Blu-Ray > HDMI > TV HDMI 2
TV > Digital Optical > Playbase

It all looks and sounds fantastic. The TV is 4K, and streams Netflix and Amazon Prime in 4K/HDR, and they also output in 5.1. The Blu-ray upscales to 4K and is outputting 5.1. Sky HD is HD only (no Q yet!) but is outputting 5.1.

Panasonic don’t seem to feature in any of the earlier posts and wider tests, so I was delighted to get this working and to share it with you all as an option!

I had to fiddle with the settings quite a bit on all parts of the chain, so if anyone attempts the same set up and gets stuck, give me a shout
Userlevel 2
Folks,

NoBob told me off for posting here about my TV and DD. NoBob I just want to re-iterate that I fully understand 'Surround Sound' formats. What I was pointing out was that if my TV is sending a DD 2.0 to my Playbar, then it is going to send a DD 5.1 to my Playbar as well. DD is DD if it's getting as far as the Playbar, it's getting there, and that surely is what counts! For a clearer explanation see read on. The remainder of my post explains.........

My TV will send DD to my Playbar and Sub, that includes DD 2.0 and DD 5.1 from My Sky+ HD source. Some programmes are transmitted in Stereo only, use 'i' button on your Sky remote to check, you will see HD, W, S or DD (dependant on whether or not the program is being transmitted S=Stereo or DD=Dolby Digital. in the top right of the 'info' display, for those interested the other abbreviations are HD=High Def, W=Widescreen. If the channel is transmitting in Stereo your Playbar will only decode Stereo. If Sky are transmitting a DD signal then you Playbar will decode DD dependant on whether the DD signal is just DD 2.0 Stereo or DD 5.1 Surround Sound. As a general rule of thumb everyday TV programs are either normal Stereo OR DD 2.0, but movies are usually in DD 5.1. The only way to check if you're receiving full DD 5.1 is by using whatever controls your Sonos system in my case an iPAD. Thus I check iPAD SONOS>SETTINGS>ABOUT MY SONOS=PLAYBAR, AUDIO IN: will show Stereo, Dolby Digital 2.0 or Dolby Digital 5.1 dependant on the signal being transmitted by Sky.

To enable Dolby Digital I did the following:
1. Sky SETTINGS>SOUND>DIGITAL AUDIO OUPUT - HDMI=DOLBY D
2. TV MENU>SOUND>ADDITIONAL SETTINGS>DIGITAL AUDIO OUT=DOLBY DIGITAL

ADM, my Sky box is 'at least' 4 years old, it's model number is R007.061.49.00P, version (I assume software) is 4f3101. Is your box running the latest S/W? Mine updates itself periodically, I don't know how to make it 'update' manually.

Apologies for such a long post.
Hi, I have a SONY KDL-40R470A which supports DOLBY® MS10 (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Pulse) and has an digital optical audio output. Would that work with the playbar for Dolby Digital? thanks
Looking for something between 40"-50" that outputs all sources in 5.1. Any ideas?

I have my eye on the following if anyone has any experience.

Sony KDL-50R550A
Samsung UN50F6400

Simon
Badge
Does anyone know if there will be issues with a 2017 Sony KD65XE9005?
https://www.sony.dk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-65xe9005

I'm planning to purchase this TVs soon. I already own a SONOS PlayBar, two PLAY ONE, and AppleTV 4K.
Will I have any issues with the PlayBar passing Dolby 5.1 with this TV?
Userlevel 2

ADM, my Sky box is 'at least' 4 years old, it's model number is R007.061.49.00P, version (I assume software) is 4f3101. Is your box running the latest S/W? Mine updates itself periodically, I don't know how to make it 'update' manually.

Sorry for the slow reply - have been out of the country for a while....

Anyway, just checked my software version and it is R005.054.17.00P ! So it must be fairly outdated.

I've just figured out how to make it do a forced update - will see if that adds DD over HDMI... fingers crossed!
Sorry mods, I posted this elsewhere but think it belongs here. Could you add the TV to the master list please?

I’ve found another TV that works:

Panasonic 50-EX700B

I assume that also means the other sizes of 700B, along with the 600B and 750B ranges will also work. I got a pretty awesome Black Friday deal from John Lewis including a free 5 year warranty.

By “it works” I mean that it passes 5.1 on to the Sonos via optical. My set up is:

Sky+ HD Box > HDMI > TV HDMI 1
Panasonic Blu-Ray > HDMI > TV HDMI 2
TV > Digital Optical > Playbase

It all looks and sounds fantastic. The TV is 4K, and streams Netflix and Amazon Prime in 4K/HDR, and they also output in 5.1. The Blu-ray upscales to 4K and is outputting 5.1. Sky HD is HD only (no Q yet!) but is outputting 5.1.

Panasonic don’t seem to feature in any of the earlier posts and wider tests, so I was delighted to get this working and to share it with you all as an option!

I had to fiddle with the settings quite a bit on all parts of the chain, so if anyone attempts the same set up and gets stuck, give me a shout
Userlevel 2
It will.

And how do you force the box to manually update? Do share.

--RiDDO