List of TV’s that will pass 5.1 from HDMI Sources to Playbar

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

370 replies

Userlevel 2
You have DD 5.1 when watching TV, right? But not in any case when an HDMI device is connected?

Anyhow:
PS3: look in your audio settings, I know you have to specify somewhere what the audio output is and you can even specify whether it should convert DTS to DD 5.1

Mac Mini: What do you use on your MacMini to watch movies? Plex? XBMC? VLC?
As for current Plex and XBMC releases, you have to enable audio passthrough for AC3 in their settings. For VLC, I don't know.

Note that next XBMC release will fix DTS to DD 5.1 conversion and should be later ported to Plex as well.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I have a Samsung UE40B6000 Led TV, Does someone know if this TV output 5.1 via optical?
Userlevel 2
Unfortunately no Sumsung TV passes 5.1 through optical, although there are rumours of a firmware update that may allow it. Until then it's PCM stereo only.
Badge
As I said earlier in the thread, I can confirm that after the most recent firmware update my Samsung PN60F8500AF now fully supports passing 5.1 from an HDMI source through to the Playbar. When I first bought this TV it would not pass 5.1 from any HDMI source but now it all works great without the need for an HDMI switch, etc.
Userlevel 2
I can also confirm that my Samsung PS64F8500 passes DD5.1 from an HDMI source to optical out from for example Plex on my Roku, however, it won't pass DD5.1 plus from Netflix, at least it won't from my Roku streaming stick, although it does with the Samsung Netflix app.
Userlevel 2
Hi celestian02,

Thanks for your reply, yes the TV is playing DD 5.1 when watching tv.

I use MplayerX on the Mac mini.
As for the PS3 I will check the settings.
Userlevel 2
Cheers folks. Thanks for setting up this thread. I've a Playbar and two Play:3 set up in my living room. My TV is a Samsung UE46D7090LSXZG connected via optical with the Playbar. TV gets input via HDMI from an AppleTV (latest gen.), a Samsung BD-F7500 blu-ray player and an IPTV receiver.

My problem: I have no experience with any surround setup and I'm kinda lost right now because I cannot hear if the sound is 5.1. I must say I'm not sure if I really can differentiate between normal Stereo, Dolby Surround and Dolby Digital 5.1. Ergo I cannot say if the TV passes 5.1 through optical.

Is there any test or something else i can do?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Finally found the right setting and I can now confirm that this Sharp LED model does pass 5.1.
Userlevel 2
Apologies for my earlier post, my Samsung UE46f6740 does in fact pass 5.1 sound through optical. In the sound settings it was only allowing me to select PCM, that was until I found a film (C4HD UK) that broadcast DD 5.1 sound and when I checked in the About My Sonos it confirmed it was 5.1 sound. I am therefore managing to get Dolby Digital 5.1 through all sources when it it is broadcast
My set up -UK
TV - Samsung UE46F6740 (with built in FREESAT Tuner)
Samsung BD 6500 Bluray player (converts DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1)
Apple TV 2
CYP AUD41 4-WAY OPTICAL SWITCHER

TV, Blu Ray player and Apple TV all go in to the optical IN on the switch. The OUT cable goes to the Playbar. All are also connected through HDMI. This is a large amount of cables but the system works as it should
My Sony passes DD5.1 through the optical no problem - KDL-32W653A
Userlevel 2
Cheers folks. Thanks for setting up this thread. I've a Playbar and two Play:3 set up in my living room. My TV is a Samsung UE46D7090LSXZG connected via optical with the Playbar. TV gets input via HDMI from an AppleTV (latest gen.), a Samsung BD-F7500 blu-ray player and an IPTV receiver.

My problem: I have no experience with any surround setup and I'm kinda lost right now because I cannot hear if the sound is 5.1. I must say I'm not sure if I really can differentiate between normal Stereo, Dolby Surround and Dolby Digital 5.1. Ergo I cannot say if the TV passes 5.1 through optical.

Is there any test or something else i can do?

If you go to your Sonos app/controller then select settings>About my Sonos (bottom of list) it will tell you what the Playbar is outputting.Either Stereo, Dolby 2.0 or Dolby 5.1. I don't think you will get full 5.1 sound without the Sub although I might be mistaken on this point.
Looking at your set up which is similar to mine albeit yours are higher spec models, you should be able to get Dolby 5.1. My set up is explained in the post above
Userlevel 1
Badge
Gardino71, I note you have the Samsung BD-6500 which (like most Samsung bluray players it seems) can reencode DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1. Does this sound just as good as Dolby Digital 5.1 when played direct from the source material (eg a DVD or bluray with a DD 5.1 soundtrack)? I would be grateful for your thoughts as I am thinking of buying a Samsung player to get around the lack of DTS decoding.

ps You will only get 5.1 if you have the Sub - which, by the way, I would highly recommend as it instantly and significantly improves the sound from the Playbar.
Userlevel 2
Gardino71, I note you have the Samsung BD-6500 which (like most Samsung bluray players it seems) can reencode DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1. Does this sound just as good as Dolby Digital 5.1 when played direct from the source material (eg a DVD or bluray with a DD 5.1 soundtrack)? I would be grateful for your thoughts as I am thinking of buying a Samsung player to get around the lack of DTS decoding.

ps You will only get 5.1 if you have the Sub - which, by the way, I would highly recommend as it instantly and significantly improves the sound from the Playbar.

I have found the sound to be no different when converted from DTS and it comes up as Dolby 5.1 on the About My Sonos. Also I do have a Sub which is a great piece of kit for both music and TV. I was fairly sure you needed the sub to have 5.1 sound but I didn't want to post a comment and find it to be incorrect as I did earlier in the thread
The "5" in "5.1" signifies the L-Front, Center-Front, Right-Front, Right Surround, and Left-Surround channels. These five channels are full range. The ".1" signifies the LFE (Low Frequency Effects) channel, which is not full range. The LFE channel is reserved for the thuds and thumps, but it is traditional for the playback system to optionally route the bass for some or all of the "5" channels to the Subwoofer if smaller speakers are being used. It is also traditional to fall back gracefully if the Center, Surrounds, or Subwoofer are not present. For example, if the Subwoofer is not present, the LFE is distributed to the Left and Right Front and Center dialog is routed to the Left and Right Front if a Center speaker is not present.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
[...]my Samsung UE46f6740 does in fact pass 5.1 sound through optical
[...]
My set up -UK
TV - Samsung UE46F6740 (with built in FREESAT Tuner)
Samsung BD 6500 Bluray player (converts DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1)
Apple TV 2
CYP AUD41 4-WAY OPTICAL SWITCHER

TV, Blu Ray player and Apple TV all go in to the optical IN on the switch. The OUT cable goes to the Playbar. All are also connected through HDMI. This is a large amount of cables but the system works as it should

May I ask why you use the switch if your TV does in fact pass DD5.1? You could simplify the cables by just connecting them via HDMI to the TV and then connecting the TV to the Playbar via optical.
Or am I missing something?
Userlevel 2
Hi,

I've potentially looking at buying Sonos, my requirements are
1. 5.1 surround sound in living room for music and TV (so looking to buy the play bar, sub and a pair of play 1s or play 3s
2. Outdoor speakers for my deck.

I've got a few questions I'd really appreciate some help with:
1.I've just bought a new Samsung TV, UA60ES6500 Samsung LED TV. I am also going to buy a new Apple TV. Does the sound bar work properly with Samsung?
2. I want outdoor speakers and was thinking the Bose 151SE. I believe I just buy the Sonos Connect Amp and then can link the Bose outdoor speakers as well. Is this right and anything I need to be aware of?
3. I already have a Bose Soundlink Air speaker which I've loved. If I get the Sonos Connect Amp, will this work as another speaker for indoors?

Thanks heaps
Userlevel 2
May I ask why you use the switch if your TV does in fact pass DD5.1? You could simplify the cables by just connecting them via HDMI to the TV and then connecting the TV to the Playbar via optical.
Or am I missing something?

The Samsung Blu Ray player and Apple TV only pass through Dolby 5.1 through the optical when it's plugged directly into the Playbar. The TV will not pass through Dolby 5.1 from the HDMI lead from the Blu Ray or Apple TV (PCM Stereo only). Therefore when all sources are plugged into the switcher and then into the Playbar you get Dolby 5.1 from all .
Badge
Then you should change this: "Samsung UE46f6740 does in fact pass 5.1 sound through optical". The whole point of this thread is to identify TVs that output DD from devices connected to it, typically through HDMI. Using a switch is not considered a solution.
Userlevel 2
Then you should change this: "Samsung UE46f6740 does in fact pass 5.1 sound through optical". The whole point of this thread is to identify TVs that output DD from devices connected to it, typically through HDMI. Using a switch is not considered a solution.

Clearly a switcher is a solution if all your devices that are attached to you TV via HDMI can now output DD 5.1. It might not be the ideal way for such an expensive piece of kit, but you get to hear soundtracks in true DD5.1. Also with the Samsung Bluray player all DTS Blurays get converted to DD5.1 hence all bases are covered.
Userlevel 2
Looks like I'll be buying a new tv as well. This is getting pricey but sooooo worth it.
Userlevel 2
hey guys I just got hooked on sonos this christmas and was also looking for solutions for the downstairs living room which already has a really good polk soundbar 6000. So contemplating on a playbar or a connect. Best solution for a playbar IMO is to buy a switch with a toslink/optical output if you going to us the playbar.

here is one I've been looking at and from what I am reading it supports dts.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=7974&seq=1&format=2
Userlevel 2
I have a cox cable box, HDMI to Samsung 65F8000. Optical out from Samsung to Sonos play bar with Play:1s in rear for surround. Samsung tv's settings have Dolby Digital GREYED OUT in the menu. I'm so confused by all the rhetoric. Can anyone possibly confirm Samsung will pass the 5.1 to soundbar from HDMI cable box to TV to Soundbar?? And if so, why is the menu option Greyed out (only allows PCM). Note: I do have the dolby digital option set on my cable box. that is not an issue, I don't think). NOTE 2: When I plug the optical cable directly to the cable box, I get the full 5.1. BUT if I do that, I can't get sound from Apple TV or DVD player unless I have some sort of switch, which is stupid if I have a $3000 TV.
Userlevel 2
As I said earlier in the thread, I can confirm that after the most recent firmware update my Samsung PN60F8500AF now fully supports passing 5.1 from an HDMI source through to the Playbar. When I first bought this TV it would not pass 5.1 from any HDMI source but now it all works great without the need for an HDMI switch, etc.

I have the F8000. I did all the firmware updates last night. The Dolby Digital option in the sound settings is STILL GREYED OUT. How did you confirm the upgrade worked?
Userlevel 2
Monday I bought a Samsung LED F8500 (55"), I can confirm that when using an optical cable the TV is passing trough 5.1 dd.

That was one reason for not buying a Sonos Playbar, but that doesn't seems to be an issue anymore.

I have the 65" version of the F8000. The sound settings on the TV sound menu has the Dolby Digital still Greyed Out, after I was told no more updates are available. How did you confirm with this firmware update that you are getting 5.1 output?
Userlevel 2
I have the F8000. I did all the firmware updates last night. The Dolby Digital option in the sound settings is STILL GREYED OUT. How did you confirm the upgrade worked?

Are your tv speakers set to OFF?