List of TV’s that will pass 5.1 from HDMI Sources to Playbar

Userlevel 2
All,
Would you mind listing your TV and mode/year in this thread if you have tested it and confirmed it will pass DD 5.1 to the Playbar and from what source. This will help those of us in the market for a new TV and playbar.

Thanks

MikeB.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

370 replies

Userlevel 2
Sony Bravia 55W905A supports HDMI pass-through. Just got my 2 Play:1's and a happy user (besides DTS) 😉
Userlevel 2
Samsung UN65F7100 will pass 5.1 for its internal smart applications like Netflix etc but NOT HDMI inputs like Directv. Instead of the Monoprice switch most have recommended here I wanted something like could mount nicely to the back of the TV. I used the J-Tech Digital HDMI extractor which is 1:1 with the optical stripped and works perfectly on Playbar. I'm new so I cannot post the link yet but it's on Amazon.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Dissapointed to find out that the Samsung UE46ES8000 doesn't pass 5.1 from HDMI sources out of the optical (despite suggestions here otherwise) as the comment above it works fine passing 5.1 from the built in tuner and from smart hub apps like netflix, but wont pass the 5.1 from my SKY+HD box or PS3 for example.

Can anybody/SONOS comment on why some manufactures support this and others don't, is it a hardware limitation of Samsung as they seem to be the main culprit or some licensing issue?

I've just got my first piece of SONOS kit the Play1 and love so much such that I planned and getting the playbar,sub and another play1 to complement it but this is really putting me off.
Userlevel 2
Folks,

NoBob told me off for posting here about my TV and DD. NoBob I just want to re-iterate that I fully understand 'Surround Sound' formats. What I was pointing out was that if my TV is sending a DD 2.0 to my Playbar, then it is going to send a DD 5.1 to my Playbar as well. DD is DD if it's getting as far as the Playbar, it's getting there, and that surely is what counts! For a clearer explanation see read on. The remainder of my post explains.........

My TV will send DD to my Playbar and Sub, that includes DD 2.0 and DD 5.1 from My Sky+ HD source. Some programmes are transmitted in Stereo only, use 'i' button on your Sky remote to check, you will see HD, W, S or DD (dependant on whether or not the program is being transmitted S=Stereo or DD=Dolby Digital. in the top right of the 'info' display, for those interested the other abbreviations are HD=High Def, W=Widescreen. If the channel is transmitting in Stereo your Playbar will only decode Stereo. If Sky are transmitting a DD signal then you Playbar will decode DD dependant on whether the DD signal is just DD 2.0 Stereo or DD 5.1 Surround Sound. As a general rule of thumb everyday TV programs are either normal Stereo OR DD 2.0, but movies are usually in DD 5.1. The only way to check if you're receiving full DD 5.1 is by using whatever controls your Sonos system in my case an iPAD. Thus I check iPAD SONOS>SETTINGS>ABOUT MY SONOS=PLAYBAR, AUDIO IN: will show Stereo, Dolby Digital 2.0 or Dolby Digital 5.1 dependant on the signal being transmitted by Sky.

To enable Dolby Digital I did the following:
1. Sky SETTINGS>SOUND>DIGITAL AUDIO OUPUT - HDMI=DOLBY D
2. TV MENU>SOUND>ADDITIONAL SETTINGS>DIGITAL AUDIO OUT=DOLBY DIGITAL

ADM, my Sky box is 'at least' 4 years old, it's model number is R007.061.49.00P, version (I assume software) is 4f3101. Is your box running the latest S/W? Mine updates itself periodically, I don't know how to make it 'update' manually.

Apologies for such a long post.
Looking for something between 40"-50" that outputs all sources in 5.1. Any ideas?

I have my eye on the following if anyone has any experience.

Sony KDL-50R550A
Samsung UN50F6400

Simon
Userlevel 2

ADM, my Sky box is 'at least' 4 years old, it's model number is R007.061.49.00P, version (I assume software) is 4f3101. Is your box running the latest S/W? Mine updates itself periodically, I don't know how to make it 'update' manually.

Sorry for the slow reply - have been out of the country for a while....

Anyway, just checked my software version and it is R005.054.17.00P ! So it must be fairly outdated.

I've just figured out how to make it do a forced update - will see if that adds DD over HDMI... fingers crossed!
Userlevel 2
It will.

And how do you force the box to manually update? Do share.

--RiDDO
Userlevel 2
It will.

And how do you force the box to manually update? Do share.

--RiDDO

Sadly, it made no difference whatsoever! Still the same software rev even after the update....it must mean that my (Amstrad) box has the latest rev it can support. Might be time to buy one of the new 2TB boxes...

In any case though, here's how make it update manually:

Unplug the sky box for a minute. Then, while holding the "backup" button on the box itself, plug it back in again. Keep holding the button down for about 15 seconds at which point you should get a message on the TV screen saying "Updating System Software, Please Wait". One you see this, you can release the button. The software upgrade will take around 10-15 minutes, and the box will go through a couple of reboot cycles afterwards, so don't be in a rush. Just let it do it's thing for a while and then it should boot up and be good.

You need to have the phone line attached during the process.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Dissapointed to find out that the Samsung UE46ES8000 doesn't pass 5.1 from HDMI sources out of the optical

Yep, had the same problem with my Samsung so ended up buying a Lindy 4-Way TosLink Digital Optical Audio Switch, which seems to have cured my problems. Even comes with an IR remote to switch inputs. Only downside is yet another small box under my TV, needing a power socket.
Userlevel 2
I am looking forward to buy a Panasonic L47ETW60 is it really true that they are not able to pass the 5.1 signal through to the playbar and other components?!

Thanks
Userlevel 2
So only the sony tvs and Visio m series pass thru 5.1?
A recent SAMSUNG firmware update allows a few models to pass 5.1. Sorry, I don't have a list of models.
Hi,

My old Panasonic 50" plasma P50G10 does support DD5.1 over the air, but does not do 5.1 HDMI to optical pass.

I have a new sony 55" XBR55X850A (4K-UHDTV) being delivered tomorrow and I hope it does do DD5.1 HDMI pass. 😢
Badge
I made some inquiries and either are the TV manufacturer's own tech support clueless or this is not a big problem in new TVs as they seem to support DD through optical (as long as the source is digital).

Phillips:
All our new TVs support Dolby Digital output. I asked again if also for optical, confirmed.

LG:
All out new models support DD through optical as long as source is digital. When they asked if any models in particular I was interested in I said:
LG 55" 3D Smart LED-TV 55LA660V
LG 60" Plasma-TV 60PN650T
He confirmed both of these have DD through optical toslink.

Sony:
"As long as you use an optical cable none of our newer models will downgrade to stereo, you will get proper sound as long as the source format is in surround"

Samsung:
Although Samsung support says differently, they seem to be supporting DTS only (based on their specifications). They still refuse to aknowledge that DD and DTS are two different formats, that's why I choose to trust their specs.. However, several people have reported that Samsung is adding DD support through software updates, will wait for confirmation

Panasonic has nor replied to my requests

Any confirmation from people who has any of these TVs will be appreciated.
Userlevel 2
st60 does NOT support. i have one. TV is incredible. I have all the stuff..playbar, sub two play ones. I'm considering getting a reciever to see if that works. I like my tv to much to change that.
Userlevel 2
I tried every which way to get my Sony (Bravia) KDLBX520 to pass a DD 5.1 optical signal -with zero luck.
So then I plugged the optical cable directly into my Dish cable box and I now have "Dolby Digital 5.1" on my system (Playbar & Sub).
Of course, the downside is that I only have DD 5.1 when watching TV, but that's better than not having it at all.
Maybe Santa will bring me a nice new 70" LG for Christmas?:rolleyes:
I thought most of the Sony TV's will output 5.1 over the optical. I have a KDL-46XBR9 from around 2010, it does pass the 5.1 even from HDMI sources. But even that is weird - playing a regular DVD on my Blu-ray player, I get 5.1. Playing a Blu-ray, I don't - but if I connect the BD player directly to the Playbar, I do. I can't figure it out.
Userlevel 2
I have the Samsung UN60F7100.

Just spent about an hour on the phone trying to get to a higher up Samsung support person. 1st person knew little so they connected me to the "2nd tier support".

They gauranteed me that the TV Optical out supports DD 5.1 pass thru over HDMI.

They said as long as your cable box (Tivo Premiere) is putting out DD 5.1 through HDMI to the TV then it will send out DD 5.1 through the optical out.

They said I should also have software version 11.18.0 on my TV. But they didn't know if this feature was new to the software or had always existed.

Unforuntately, I just ordered my Playbar & Sub so I can't test right now.

My Setup is Apple TV (newest), RCN Tivo Premiere cable box, and a PS4 all with the newest standard HDMI's into the TV with an optical out to the Playbar.

Let's hope it works. I'm a little bit of a newb but I'm thinking even if I only have a Playbar and a sub it should show DD 5.1. I dont need the two rear speakers for it to show 5.1 right?
Badge
@SMUATO
Then this must be a sw update yes, look at the specs for that model:
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN60F7100AFXZA-specs

If Samsung is adding DD support through download thats great! Very interested to hear about you test results 🙂

Regarding Sony TVs:
I've just received a final answer (after several rounds of specifying to get them to answer what I'm actually asking):
"As long as you use an optical cable none of our newer models will downgrade to stereo, you will get proper sound as long as the source format is is in surround"
Badge
@Yhadi

That sucks, I had my hopes set for that TV (too bad that Sonos ends up deciding which TVs we choose).
Panasonic still have not replied to any of my requests. Have you spoken to them at all?
since this apparently can be fixed by software updates like Samsung is doing, who knows if they're planning something similar..?
Hi,

My old Panasonic 50" plasma P50G10 does support DD5.1 over the air, but does not do 5.1 HDMI to optical pass.

I have a new sony 55" XBR55X850A (4K-UHDTV) being delivered tomorrow and I hope it does do DD5.1 HDMI pass. ;(

I can finally confirm that the Sony 4k 55" TV - XBR-55X850A - Does do DD5.1 pass via HDMI to Optical without any issues. Also does DD5.1 from all built in Apps that support 5.1 (Like Netflix), and from over the air TV.
Badge
I can confirm that after the most recent firmware update my Samsung PN60F8500AF now fully supports passing 5.1 from an HDMI source. When I first got my Playbar the TV lacked support and I used a switch. Then I got frustrated at the switch and just lived without 5.1. Much to my surprise the firmware fixed the issue and I'm getting 5.1 from my cable box and apple tv. My xbox one doesn't support DD yet but I'm sure they will fix that soon.

Good news to anyone looking for a plasma that is 5.1 compatible with the Playbar because the Samsung is the best looking set I've owned and is a step up from the non-kuro Pioneer Elite that it replaced.
Userlevel 2
Anybody with experience with a LG LM7600?
I'm really thinking to sell my Bose Cinemate and get a Playbar
Badge
I emailed Samsung to inquire about which of their TV sets will pass DD 5.1 optical audio from an HDMI source. Not the response I was hoping for with the rumors of firmware updates enabling this functionality. Here is their response.

I understand that you are looking for a Samsung TV that allow DD 5.1passthrough from HDMI sources.

I will provide you with the necessary information.

Thank you for choosing Samsung. We value you business with Samsung.

Currently, no Samsung TV can pass 5.1surround sound through optical connection from an HDMI source and at this moment there is no firmware update available to allow 5.1 sound pass through from an HDMI source. TV can pass 5.1 surround sound through Optical out only when the source is Antenna or cable from wall. As the HDMI can only carry 2.1 surround sound to TV, it is not possible to get the 5.1 surround from TV.

Alternatively, you can connect the Samsung TV to Sonos 5.1 system using an optical cable and amplify the 2.1 input from Samsung TV to 5.1 sound on the external sound system.
the HDMI can only carry 2.1 surround sound

That would come as startling news to everyone, if it were true.