List of TV’s that will pass 5.1 from HDMI Sources to Playbar

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

370 replies

I am very happy with the PCM sound right now so I didn't do anything except hook up the digital cable. When someone comes up with a better idea I might try it but for now the sound I am getting from the PlayBar is much improved over my old soundbar.

Ok, It was just confusing as this thread is for TV's that pass full 5.1, most all tv's push PCM. I got my hopes up that my sharp would, but nope.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Apologies if this one was mentioned already, but I can confirm that the new(ish) LG 55EF9500 (and presumably the 65EF9500) will pass through Dolby Digital 5.1 from sources connected via HDMI and will even transcode Dolby Digital Plus to regular Dolby Digital while doing so. It will NOT, however, transcode DTS to to Dolby Digital.
Just spent some $. ADDING to the Playbar and sub...
Bought 2 play 3's, play 5, 60" samsung 7500 smart tv.
And guess what? Samsung disables DD 5.1 to optical when input is HDMI. Can you believe that? Yep, Im pretty pissed. SO scratch Samsung from this list. PCM only... Which sounds like a cheap stereo system playing thru the Sonos...
Userlevel 2
Badge
I got my new LG 65EF9500 OLED tv. I was so excited about this set. Sadly it does NOT pass through DD 5.1 using the optical devices from signal coming from HDMI. (in my case) Before I decide to purchase I called LG and was told that it will work fine. Of course, most of the time they are not correct. My previous Sony TV was able to pass thru DD.

Interesting, like the previous post mention, the LG55EF9500 will pass through the signal. Just in case someone is looking for information about this particular set.
Userlevel 2
Just spent some $. ADDING to the Playbar and sub...
Bought 2 play 3's, play 5, 60" samsung 7500 smart tv.
And guess what? Samsung disables DD 5.1 to optical when input is HDMI. Can you believe that? Yep, Im pretty pissed. SO scratch Samsung from this list. PCM only... Which sounds like a cheap stereo system playing thru the Sonos...

Bypass the tv altogether. I just bought an optical switch to get around my Samsung TV. I am happy, happy, happy.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Apologies if this one was mentioned already, but I can confirm that the new(ish) LG 55EF9500 (and presumably the 65EF9500) will pass through Dolby Digital 5.1 from sources connected via HDMI and will even transcode Dolby Digital Plus to regular Dolby Digital while doing so. It will NOT, however, transcode DTS to to Dolby Digital.

Hello...

I got the LG 65EF9500 and it does not pass through DD 5.1. If posible, can you please tell me how did you set up the audio menu? Thank you. 🙂
Userlevel 1
Here's a $250 switcher that might work. The company specifically advertised it as a strong possibility for use with a Playbar, however they didn't explicitly mention testing it. I feel pretty ridiculous needing to pay $250 for an add-on to a $500 HDTV, when the HDTV manufacturer probably saved $10 by cheaping out on 2.1 over optical output, and the workaround involves me spending 50% of the cost of the TV on an external device that makes life significantly more complicated due to needing to work the switch to change sources when it could be done within the TV itself. Although since it's seemingly impossible to know what TVs support 5.1 over optical, this might be the only way.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x1%20ARC%20port_pro.html
Userlevel 2
Badge
Editing my previous message...

Regarding the LG 65EF9500 OLED TV. Actually I was partially wrong with my previous post. With this model I can pass through DD 5.1 using the optical cable ONLY when I use the apps from the TV. Sources from HDMI like my Tivo, for example get converted to stereo. Any other member with the same TV by any chance?
Have a good day.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Vizio XVT553SV (55", from 2010) passes Dolby Digital 5.1 to PlayBar.

Hope this helps someone!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello...

I got the LG 65EF9500 and it does not pass through DD 5.1. If posible, can you please tell me how did you set up the audio menu? Thank you. :)

First, make sure that your components (Tivo, etc.) are set to output Dolby Digital. Those settings will obviously vary by device, so can't guide you there. On the TV, first navigate to the Audio Out settings (Sound>Sound Out>Audio Out) and select HDMI(ARC). Then navigate to the Digital Sound Out settings (I think it's Sound>Sound Out>Audio Out (Optical HDMI ARC)>Digital Sound Out) and make sure that "Auto" is selected, not "PCM." Attached a picture of the relevant parts of the online manual here - hopefully it works.
Badge
Here's a $250 switcher that might work. The company specifically advertised it as a strong possibility for use with a Playbar, however they didn't explicitly mention testing it. I feel pretty ridiculous needing to pay $250 for an add-on to a $500 HDTV, when the HDTV manufacturer probably saved $10 by cheaping out on 2.1 over optical output, and the workaround involves me spending 50% of the cost of the TV on an external device that makes life significantly more complicated due to needing to work the switch to change sources when it could be done within the TV itself. Although since it's seemingly impossible to know what TVs support 5.1 over optical, this might be the only way.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x1%20ARC%20port_pro.html

I have that exact switcher because my current TV doesn't pass any sound from an HDMI source through optical out. It is working reliably and was easy to get working with my harmony remote. My only issue with it is that when I switch inputs it goes through this routine of displaying a full green screen, then some fuzz, then black screen and after about 5 seconds or so the real image is displayed. I find this annoying and just wish it would switch faster or even just display a blank screen until it was ready. This even happens when switching between HD and non-HD channels on the same source sometimes. Annoying. I really just want to find a damn TV that will handle the HDMI switching and output 5.1 but that is proving difficult.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello...

I got the LG 65EF9500 and it does not pass through DD 5.1. If posible, can you please tell me how did you set up the audio menu? Thank you. :)

First, make sure that your components (Tivo, etc.) are set to output Dolby Digital. Those settings will obviously vary by device, so can't guide you there. On the TV, first navigate to the Audio Out settings (Sound>Sound Out>Audio Out) and select HDMI(ARC). Then navigate to the Digital Sound Out settings (I think it's Sound>Sound Out>Audio Out (Optical HDMI ARC)>Digital Sound Out) and make sure that "Auto" is selected, not "PCM." Attached a picture of the relevant parts of the online manual here - hopefully it works.

Hello. I got my Tv set the way you have it. No luck. Tivo is using Dolby Digital. If I connect the connect the optical cable directly to Tivo I get my DD 5.1 but not when it is connected to an HDMI port. It will only pass through the DD 5.1 sound when using the internal TV apps.

I appreciate your help. Was nice taking the time to respond. Thank you.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Ok, the LG 65EF9500 DOES pass through the DD 5.1. It does it with my Xbox One but for some reason not with TIVO. Thank you User385289 because you helped me.
UPDATE

After buying all this stuff, I went back to Magnolia (best Buy) and told them of my frustration. They tried to help me find a switch, but the only ones they found, they didnt sell. So they gave me an option... They would buy me a switch from monoprice, OR give me their Oppo 103 Blu-ray player for half off. I figured a switch for $100-$250 or one of the baddest bluray players on the market for the same price.
Yea, long story short, the Oppo streams everything directv can throw at it while upconverting the video to 1080p.
WOW. The Sonos sounds AMAZING!!!
I couldnt be happier! I didnt realize what watching tv was until now.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Samsung UExxF7000/F7080 series (2013/2014) do pass through the DD5.1 from HDMI and out via the optical. I have ATV and a Cablecom (cable tv) box doing just that.
Userlevel 2
I can confirm that the Sony KDL-37W5500 passes Dolby 5.1 to the Playbar. So, if you have one of these you should be fine!

(I have the Playbar, sub, and 2 rear S3s....sounds great, both for TV and music!)
Anybody have any info on LG 60UF770V or any other 60" LG 2015 sets?

I found this thread very difficult to follow!

I have tried to list the tvs which people say are 5.1 passthrough able

LG 55LX9500
42PFLG008K/12
Samsung PN43D490
Samsung UN55C6500VF
Samsung UN*JU7100
Samsung TV - UE46ES8000U
Sony 46EX400
Sony KDL32EX400
Sony KDL55EX720
Sony kdl-46nx713
Sony KDL46EX400
65x8505
Sony KDL55EX500
Sony KDL xxNX800/KDL-xxNX810
Sony KDL-37W5500
Sony XBR 55HX929
Sony Bravia 55W905A
XBR-55X850A
Vizio XVT3D554SV
vizio E601i-A3
Philips 55PFL8007
Mfr: LG Model: LM8600 Firmware: 04.34.02
Sony 55" HX925
Vizio XVT553SV
Sony model KDL-60EX645
samsung UE55ES8000
LG LW550T
LG 47LA740V
LG 55" 3D Smart LED-TV 55LA660V
LG 47LM670T
Samsung PN60F8500AF
LG 60" Plasma-TV 60PN650T
Toshiba 50L5200U
Samsung 55UNF6300
Samsung LED F8500
Samsung PS64F8500
LG42LH5000
LG 60PM670S
Sharp's Aquos LC-60LE650U
Badge
hi --

Does anyone know if a Sony Bravia KDL46EX500 will pass 5.1 from HDMI Sources to PlayBar? (couln't find the information on Sony's website nor on the TV manual)

-cheers-
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice, i have 5.1 sonos set up in living room at recently purchased the panasonic 55cx802b tv. I have the playbar connected directly to tv but can't get 5.1 when using sky, which makes me believe this tv does not support 5.1 passthrough. When i plug the optical cable directly into sky box 5.1 works fine. I also use ps4 & the tv's built in netflix so would like to have 5.1 working with everything without having to swap the optical cables round everytime i change input.

Can anyone suggest the best method to achieve this without losing sound quality ?

many thanks
Userlevel 2
Has anyone confirmed any plasma TVs that pass 5.1 through hdmi inputs to their TV? I am looking at upgrading my TV and would prefer plasma over LED.

I currently have a Samsung PN51E7000 that does not pass DirecTV/DVD/Bluray HDMI as 5.1. It only passes 5.1 from Samsung Allshare and Netflix (those are the only streaming services I tested). I did not test OTA.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Does anyone know if the Samsung UN65JS8500 will pass 5.1 through optical? I have a UN65JU7100 which does. But the price has dropped on the TVs and I am considering upgrading to the 8500 series, but would like to know if it will pass through 5.1 sound like the 7100 series does.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Does anyone know if a Sony Bravia KDL46EX500 will pass 5.1 from HDMI Sources to PlayBar? (couln't find the information on Sony's website nor on the TV manual)
Same question but for the Sony Bravia KDL-40ZX1 Anyone know the answer on this one??
Badge
Does anyone know if the Samsung UN65JS8500 will pass 5.1 through optical? I have a UN65JU7100 which does. But the price has dropped on the TVs and I am considering upgrading to the 8500 series, but would like to know if it will pass through 5.1 sound like the 7100 series does.

Thanks!

My exact same question 🙂 I got confirmed from a local high end HIFI store which I trust that the JU7500 series did in fact pass through 5.1 so I would be surprised if its big brother didn't but you never know with Samsung..
Badge
Unfortunately I can confirm that the Panasonic VT50 series plasma and the new Samsung 8500 series plasma do not pass 5.1 through optical out from an HDMI input. A very nice salesman spent quite a bit of time setting them up in the store to verify and unless there is a very well hidden setting to enable this it just doesn't work. I still want one of these TVs, the only question I have to answer for myself is whether the complexity of a HDMI/Optical switch is worth it.

I tested a few movies, switching between 5.1 and 2ch output from my Apple TV and while the difference was noticeable I wouldn't call it a deal breaker. In fact, if I had only heard the Sonos setup with the 2ch input I would have loved it. Knowing that something a little better is possible sucks...I wish I could un-learn that fact 🙂 In the end I think I'll wire for 2ch input and skip the switch but will plan ahead in case I want to go a different direction later.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks!

i am thinking of getting the 7100 set you mention. Have you enjoyed that set or have any complaints? iI don't care for 3d but the set seems to get good reviews. Crutchfield is running a nice sale on it at the moment.