List of TV’s that will pass 5.1 from HDMI Sources to Playbar

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

370 replies

Userlevel 2
Got the monoprice switch box and hooked it up to all the gear. Now with both sources being routed first through the switch and then to the Playbar, I am getting 5.1. Confirmed this with the Sonos app. Listened to some Game of Thrones - man this thing rocks!:D

I reached out to Monoprice and they specifically said the 7974 HDMI switch DOES NOT support 5.1.

I have a Panasonic Plasma TV , Xbox1, and Tivo Premiere and Sonos Soundbar. I am positive the TV only outputs stereo via its optical. I tried an optical manual switch or hooking xbox or tivo direct to playbar with no luck. How do I get 5.1DD out of my Sonos setup from my equipment?

I keep hearing mixed results even from new TV's that claim to passthrough 5.1
Userlevel 2
I hooked my playbar directly to an apple tv 3 and PS3 optical in plugged via hdmi to a panasonic viera thl32 directly and all I can get is 'stereo'. Without a sub and 2 play 3's I don't see how you are expecting 5.1. And even so, we will get a 'simulated' 5.1...
Userlevel 2
I reached out to Monoprice and they specifically said the 7974 HDMI switch DOES NOT support 5.1.

I have a Panasonic Plasma TV , Xbox1, and Tivo Premiere and Sonos Soundbar. I am positive the TV only outputs stereo via its optical. I tried an optical manual switch or hooking xbox or tivo direct to playbar with no luck. How do I get 5.1DD out of my Sonos setup from my equipment?

I just purchased the following item with hopes it will fix my issue...

J-Tech Digital ® HDMI 1.4 Switch Switcher Box Selector 3 In 1 Out HDMI Audio Extractor Splitter with Optical SPDIF & RCA L/R Audio Out & Remote Control Supports ARC, MHL, Ultra HD, Full 3D, 4kx2k, 1080P

From Amazon for $46.99.
Userlevel 2
Check and see if your Apple TV sound setting is set to Auto. If so, change to Dolby and your TV may well receive it and send it on over the optical. My Samsung was receiving stereo from the Apple TV until I made this change. Now my Playbar gets Dolby 5.1 over optical from Samsung via HDMI from Apple TV.
Userlevel 1
Few weeks ago SamoGo (custom firmware for samsung tvs) released a version where 5.1 passthrough is always enabled through optical. Anyone experimented with this already?
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Hi all!

I am getting a Sony 50 W 805B today and the Playbar in a few weeks. Do you know will the Sony output 5.1 through optical out if I connect my WD TV Live (or BluRay)?
Thank you
Neven
I think that this would be a good idea, but I worry about the quality and timelyness of the data submitted. A simple claim that, "my [mfr] set works", is not very useful.

We would need:
Mfr
Exact model number
firmware level
Number of inputs and type
Number of outputs and type
How is audio passed from HDMI inputs to TOSLINK? PCM stereo? 5.1? DTS --> PCM Stereo?
Are analog audio inputs passed through to TOSLINK?
Is audio from IP streaming (if any) passed through as PCM stereo? 5.1?
Can the TV's speakers be switched OFF? If switched OFF are there any annoying on screen messages when a TV IR volume command is received?

And, we would need the submitter to accept "ownership" of this data, respond to challenges about its accuracy, and follow up to report issues created and resolved after a (TV or SONOS) firmware update.

There would need to be sufficient disclaimers to protect SONOS from liability.

---

Maintaining the database could consume someone's free time. At minimum there should be a data submission form that would collect and format the data. A well done form would update the database automatically.

Potentially, a user could donate server space and host the database.
Badge
I have the 42W805 and that one does it.
Userlevel 2
Check and see if your Apple TV sound setting is set to Auto. If so, change to Dolby and your TV may well receive it and send it on over the optical. My Samsung was receiving stereo from the Apple TV until I made this change. Now my Playbar gets Dolby 5.1 over optical from Samsung via HDMI from Apple TV.

You are referring to the "Dolby" option under "Audio" in settings?
If so, I tried that, Samsung TV (LN55B650), and still just stereo.
Userlevel 2
I am about to buy either Panasonic 55AS640 or Sony 55W805B. I was actually hooked on the AS640 but do you know if it will pass on 5.1? This could flip the scale if it doesn't.
Badge

I just checked again with the Sonos app, and it is passing 5.1 for me. The app says "Dolby Digital 5.1" on my playbar zone.

According to the Monoprice website:

•Supports digital audio output simultaneously - HDMI TOSlink, and Digital Coax
•Supports highest resolutions up to 1080p
•Supports 225 MHz/2.25 Gbps per channel (6.75 Gbps all channel) bandwidth
•Supports 12-bit per channel (36-bit all channel) Deep Color
•Supports x.v.Color™
•Supports HDCP
•Supports Audio Return Channel (ARC)
•Supports compressed audio, such as DTS® Digital, Dolby® Digital, DTS-HD Master Audio™ and Dolby TrueHD™
•Supports all HDMI 3D video modes
•Supports the Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) feature

Not sure why they would tell you it does not support 5.1
Userlevel 2
Thank you. This is a really helpful post. Much appreciated.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I have the 42W805 and that one does it.

Thank you, that means the larger 50 inch would do this as well.

Neven
Userlevel 2
Philips 55PFL8007 works with 5.1 pass through with input from AppleTV and DVB-S receiver
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I am about to buy either Panasonic 55AS640 or Sony 55W805B. I was actually hooked on the AS640 but do you know if it will pass on 5.1? This could flip the scale if it doesn't.

I was in the same boat. Some Panasonics output 5.1 only when you are using built in multimedia player.
So, I decided on Sony that apperently works wonderfull with Sonos.

Neven
Userlevel 2
My Loewe 40 Individual passes DD5.1 via optical to my Sonos Playbar, I am very impressed with the sound on both movies/TV and music.
Userlevel 2
I can confirm this device works for me.

I have a Tivo & my Xboxone plugged into this box. The box will auto power on when I turn on my TV. I am getting DD5.1 into my playbar per my Sonos App. I had to tweak some settings in the xboxone to get it to send 5.1 from that device. Only pain is that when I turn off my TV my TIVO is still outputting so my sound keeps going and I have to mute the playbar OR power down the Jtech Switchbox to stop sound. Also have to manually change input sources (on JTECH) when switching between XBOX and TIVO. No longer have to switch Video inputs on TV since only one HDMI is going to TV now.

Nice solution until I buy a new TV that will hopefully have DD 5.1 passthrough. :)

I just purchased the following item with hopes it will fix my issue...

J-Tech Digital ® HDMI 1.4 Switch Switcher Box Selector 3 In 1 Out HDMI Audio Extractor Splitter with Optical SPDIF & RCA L/R Audio Out & Remote Control Supports ARC, MHL, Ultra HD, Full 3D, 4kx2k, 1080P

From Amazon for $46.99.
Can anyone confirm any of the Vizio e60 or e70 sets passing 5.1 successfully?

Severum
Badge +2
Anyone knows if any of the following TVs will transmit DD 5.1 through optical?

http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/ProductCategory/4012F492674-492675-492686-492691-492693-1163490-1441046-2113665-3031081-3031085.html

Thanks a lot
Based off our testing, these models are able to pass 5.1 through the Optical Out of the TV.

• LG 55LX9500
  • Samsung PN43D490
  • Samsung UN55C6500VF
  • Sony 46EX400
  • Sony KDL32EX400
  • Sony KDL46EX400
  • Sony KDL55EX500
  • Sony KDL xxNX800/KDL-xxNX810
  • Vizio XVT3D554SV

These have worked with external components such as, Bluray, Apple TV and Cable boxes.

I would imagine that the 60" versions of these tv's would work as well.
Badge +2
I think it would be unrealistic for Sonos to keep a list of compatible TVs. I think due to ever changing firmware. Any update could effect feature sets.
I am a long time Samsung user. I am shopping for a TV to be compatible with my future Sonos home theater system. I went in to best buy and Frys to take a look. I am not interested in 4K TVs. Most reps will tell you "ohh yea, all new 4K TVs will output 5.1 over the optical output". But I think they are just looking to make a quick sale. In Best Buy, they had a Sharp and a Samsung rep. I am looking for anything over 65". The reps said usually anything in that size will output 5.1 over optical, but that is not really the case.
I asked for the remotes on 4 different brands to look at the audio options myself. The only definitive one I could find is from Sharp. The Q+ series. It specifically says "5.1 over optical output and receive device must be compatible". Even the newer high end Samsungs only did PCM. The Sonys had something called "variable", which the sales guy tried to convince me that it was 5.1.
I think for me it will come down to one of the Sharp 70" Q+ series TVs.
-edit. So I spoke with Samsung support and they mentioned that anything "6203" and above would have the 5.1 digital audio out over the optical port. For instance, the UN65H6203AFXZA is one. The option is available on smaller TVs, but just look for the middle numbers and make sure they are "6203" or above.

I just want to add that Sonos confirmed that Samsung UE65H6400, eventhough higher than 6203, does NOT transmit 5.1 over optical.
Userlevel 2
I urge anyone looking to make this work who intends on connecting their sources to the tv HDMI try this IN STORE. It doesn't work. It didn't on one of the above Sony models. We tried for 2 hours. No good. Until I find a grey market HDMI stripper, I'm stuck with dumbed up audio.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
This is a great list and living thread that'd be great to keep going. I'm going to sticky it here on the board so it's easy to access. We don't maintain a complete list of devices that pass Dolby but let's see what we all can do here about updating this thread with the latest devices we've found which do.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Not only does my Vintage 2008 Sony KDL40S4100 not pass any HDMI audio thru the optical, but HDMI 2 & 3 don't handle HDMI from my Roku box properly. I've always used an AVR, so I've just used HDMI 1. But I'm on a mission to get rid of the AVR, and only found these quirks when I rewired without the AVR. I've ordered a new TV that MagnoliaAV promises will have no limitations, but won't be able to test until Wednesday
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sony Bravia KDL-50W704A (Asian variant of a US model I believe) from 2013 -- works.

Primary source is an Android TV box (Tronsmart S89) with HDMI out using Kodi to play back MKV files on a NAS. Kodi does real time DTS to DD AC3 transcoding for files without a DD track.

I had to fiddle with the settings in Kodi and in the Android box to get it to output correctly. It was initially only showing stereo so I was starting to think my TV was incompatible, but with Kodi set to surround passthrough yes / AC3 capable decoder yes / DTS capable decoder no, it's all good.