Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

Hi I think that it would be sensible and courteous for Sonos to issue an update to the meesage that you put out 4 days ago - this should be via email and not just via the community. I have had to turn off most of my community notifications as my email was getting clogged

Could we please have the numbers showing again when we change the volume.  They appear in some screens but not others. I also have a problem with recent content not loading. 

The Case of the Missing Music Library

Where the heck is the Music Library Settings? 

It's disappeared totally from the settings pages/tiles, or whatever daft name they have these days. 🤔😕

As far as I’m concerned, the following features are a MUST HAVE before I update my IOS or Windows S2 apps:

• Ability to search local library
  • Queue management

Infantile naming of features. 

Your Music

Your Services

as opposed to

That Other Bloke's Services

That Woman Over There's Music

Why not just

Music

Services

??? 

😁😎🎶

Only since the app was updated, when playing live radio from BBC Sounds in Sonos, the programme/DJ/show time does not update in real time. The photo of the DJ changes but the programme/DJ name rarely corresponds with what is playing. Sometimes it’s the DJ name from yesterday afternoon, or (as now at 09.00) it’s the programme/DJ name that follows this one….

It doesn’t happen when you first select BBC Sounds, just when you press play again later or the next day. And I’m talking about iOS - I can’t speak for other OS.

Could you please look into the ongoing metadata handshake with BBC Sounds? 

Only since the app was updated, when playing live radio from BBC Sounds in Sonos, the programme/DJ/show time does not update in real time. The photo of the DJ changes but the programme/DJ name rarely corresponds with what is playing. Sometimes it’s the DJ name from yesterday afternoon, or (as now at 09.00) it’s the programme/DJ name that follows this one….

What metadata? 

OR THIS

OR EVEN THIS

It doesn’t happen when you first select BBC Sounds, just when you press play again later or the next day. And I’m talking about iOS - I can’t speak for other OS.

Agree - just checked mine and this is first time I’ve played from BBC on new app - tried Radio 2 and got picture of Zoe Ball which should have moved on to next presenter as her show finished over half an hour ago. 

Agree - just checked mine and this is first time I’ve played from BBC on new app - tried Radio 2 and got picture of Zoe Ball which should have moved on to next presenter as her show finished over half an hour ago. 

All I get is the funereal grey. 🤔😛

Ah! It's an android thing... So, every version is different.  Nice consistent programming!  Sonos scores again 😎

@castalla 

Quite a difference there…! 

I am at least getting a DJ photo of who is on, even if the name of the show doesn’t match at all.

I’m currently getting Vernon Kay’s photo, with his show details beneath it. BUT only because his show now coincides with the metadata that has been sitting there all morning. His show will end, the next DJ photo will appear but it will still say it’s Vernon’s show…

@castalla

Quite a difference there…! 

I am at least getting a DJ photo of who is on, even if the name of the show doesn’t match at all.

I’m currently getting Vernon Kay’s photo, with his show details beneath it. BUT only because his show now coincides with the metadata that has been sitting there all morning. His show will end, the next DJ photo will appear but it will still say it’s Vernon’s show…

Basically, it's rubbish for a premium brand.  FYI - the alternatives I posted are from LMS (free, open source, community developed) 

😁😊😀🎶🎶🎶

COMING UP ON RADIO 1  (not my choice - illustration purposes only 📻😁

Hi,

I'm a developer and I just don't understand how did you manage your new app publication with so many functionality regressions.

You should have waited to finish implementing the most essential elements before releasing your new version. I have a feeling something weird was going on under the hood with the dev team that you didn't tell us.

Anyway, I reinstalled the old app with aptoide and I advise all unhappy users to do the same.

Good luck to the devs for the * they're going to face, certainly because of management decisions that went wrong somewhere.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

How did you reinstall the old app with aptitude? 

A new feature: Radioplayer is still in the list of available services but no radio is accessible.

Une nouveauté : Radioplayer est toujours dans la liste des services disponibles mais aucune radio n’est accessible. 

And the music rolls on

I suppose it’s too much to ask for the thing that the BBC keep advertising - “ask your smart speaker to rewind live radio”?

I’ve been asking for this for about 2 years. It feels further away than ever now

I suppose it’s too much to ask for the thing that the BBC keep advertising - “ask your smart speaker to rewind live radio”?

Almost certainly, unless you have  Damascene conversion 😁📻🎶😀

BBC SOUNDS REWOUND

NUFF SAID 🎶📻😎

Carry on.... 

@Ken_Griffiths

I can't find the Library Settings option - nowhere to enter details!  The option disappeared with the latest app version 🙄

Which library settings option are you referring to @castalla - if you’re setting up a new 

SMB shared library you can use the PC App to enter credentials - once setup, all controller devices will see the share (iOS & Android), if that’s what you’re referring to here?

Hi,

you say that

“In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.”

why have you removed it before you have a new solution?

this feels and look like a beta release you have send out?

the new interface looks like it has been made by a preschool kid, absolute no logic.

Extremely disappointed!

I have an extensive music library and I like to just set all my songs to play randomly. That feature is no longer there, it’s only possible to shuffle songs already in the queue and I’m not going to add over 4,500 songs to the queue individually!

Nor is it possible to add a song to play next or at the end of the queue.

And there doesn’t seem to be any way to clear the queue any more.

And this evening I find out that I can no longer even access my music library.

All of these things was why I liked the Sonos app so much more than the Music app on my phone. So now I have little option than to stream from my phone which doesn’t allow for different things to be played in different rooms and it just depletes my phone battery.

This is not an upgrade, it’s two steps backwards! Actually it’s even worse than that. The original Sonos app that I started using nearly ten years ago was streets ahead of this supposed “upgrade”.

@Ken_Griffiths

I can't find the Library Settings option - nowhere to enter details!  The option disappeared with the latest app version 🙄

Which library settings option are you referring to @castalla - if you’re setting up a new 

SMB shared library you can use the PC App to enter credentials - once setup, all controller devices will see the share (iOS & Android), if that’s what you’re referring to here?

Hi

My router has usb - smbv1/2/3

Appears as Keenetix Music on network neighbourhood - all files /folders browsable (anon access) 

There is no menu option in the latest app to enter the music library info (android & ipad) 

Baffled! 

C’est exaspérant de voir tous ces dysfonctionnements et aucun message de Sonos….

It’s infuriating to see all these malfunctions and no message from Sonos….

@Ken_Griffiths

Which library settings option are you referring to @castalla - if you’re setting up a new 

So - setup is only available via PC?