Skip to main content

Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

3397 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed

My file store is SMBV1. 

THE MUSIC LIBRARY IS GONE, SHUFFLED OFF THIS MORTAL COIL, GONE TO MEET ITS MAKER,

IT IS A DEAD FILE STORE. 

The Sonos devices I have are likely to join it sooner rather than later.  I wouldn't give the stuff away to my worst enemy.

Overall, the whole thing is a farago of incompetence. 

SHAME ON SONOS 

Userlevel 1

So disappointed I updated on my phone, can’t see my NAS drive large library now, occasionally pops up as an input called My Library then disappears- thousands of flac files no longer visible.
It is unintuitive and gets confused with the rooms with the yellow ticks, I select bedroom but it plays in kitchen, turn it off, select apply and to be honest, I hate it.

It still works fine on my iPad which I luckily did not update and comparing the two together is stark in its approach, one is older but clear, easy to use,  fast in operation and I get to see my album covers and the new one a complicated mess, that is easily confused ‘something went wrong’ it says. 

I read on web site Strata-Gee that Sonos is 40% down in sales and profit, this will not improve that.

Not an idle comment but I am now researching Denon Home and Bluesound as I  play a lot of music and no longer like the Sonos approach that we all have to be on Spotify or streaming.

If we could get S2 back on Apple products would be a great start in appeasing people like me who have supported them since near the beginning.

Badge

Thanks to the Sonos Lady (Diane?) at the AMA,  for understanding that we actually bought an alarm clock. Great focus with her important answers.
I was probably wrong when I thought I could listen to my music with it, ...without supporting her  cooperation with Spotify.

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed

My file store is SMBV1. 

THE MUSIC LIBRARY IS GONE, SHUFFLED OFF THIS MORTAL COIL, GONE TO MEET ITS MAKER,

IT IS A DEAD FILE STORE. 

The Sonos devices I have are likely to join it sooner rather than later.  I wouldn't give the stuff away to my worst enemy.

SHAME ON SONOS 

Can’t you perhaps just share your local library over an SMB v2/3 share from a PC/Mac, as a temporary workaround, or upload it to iBroadcast for storage/playback on your Sonos devices, or playback over AirPlay/Bluetooth? There are quite a few alternative ‘free’ options available to you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

My file store is SMBV1. 

IT IS A DEAD FILE STORE. 

SHAME ON SONOS 

Can’t you perhaps just share your local library over an SMB v2/3 share from a PC/Mac, as a temporary workaround, or upload it to iBroadcast for storage/playback on your Sonos devices, or playback over AirPlay/Bluetooth? There are quite a few alternative ‘free’ options available to you.

I use IBroadcast.  But I can't understand why smbv couldn't be selectable 1-3.?  Let the user choose.  There will be many with older nas drives who'll discover their library no longer exists. Ah but the library is not being junked, you just won't be able to see it.    Poof!  It's gone.

Shades of 1984 in this 'update'. 🙁😕

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

My new “Sonos” system. Looks like this one will actually work!

Userlevel 2

I’m truly shocked at how not-ready-for-public-release this update is. I have lost my local Music Library and playlists (which is the ONLY way I listen to music) and cannot seem to get them back. My 7 Sonos speakers are currently useless paperweights. If the situation is not corrected in the next few DAYS I would not be at all surprised if this results in mass defections from the Sonos platform.

I’m truly shocked at how not-ready-for-public-release this update is. I have lost my local Music Library and playlists (which is the ONLY way I listen to music) and cannot seem to get them back. My 7 Sonos speakers are currently useless paperweights. If the situation is not corrected in the next few DAYS I would not be at all surprised if this results in mass defections from the Sonos platform.

Well a local library is definitely available to be seen/played in the new Sonos App - it just requires to be shared using the SMB v2 (or higher) protocol… I see it in my App. 

Userlevel 2

Neither of my apps (MacOS and iOS) looks anything like that, and I have downloaded what purport to be the latest versions and then I checked for updates.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Ken, I’ve got MAD RESPECT for your lengthy track record helping people on these forums! So I hesitate to remind you that most Normal People don’t know SMBv2/3 from Adam. They do know that a week ago all of their music played and now it doesn’t, due to absolutely no fault of their own.

That said, a week ago I wrote up how to add a contemporary Windows share ...

… tho’ even with my directions a moderate degree of Windows savviness is needed.

Ken, I’ve got MAD RESPECT for your lengthy track record helping people on these forums! So I hesitate to remind you that most Normal People don’t know SMBv2/3 from Adam. They do know that a week ago all of their music played and now it doesn’t, due to absolutely no fault of their own.

That said, a week ago I wrote up how to add a contemporary Windows share ...

… tho’ even with my directions a moderate degree of Windows savviness is needed.

I did previously read your post/guide and it’s extremely helpful for use with a PC.

I use NAS boxes here myself and whilst I accept your comment about SMB, I would hope anyone sharing a library from a NAS etc. for a Sonos library previously, may know that SMB is the protocol used for the library folder share and that there are various versions of it as outlined here…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

I do try to post/help as many people as I can, but don’t always have the time to detail everything and sincerely hope I give enough info. for people to ‘at least’ go online and research these things via a search engine etc. and get the issue resolved themselves. They can always come back to the thread of course and ask further questions and then I may go into some further detail, if I perhaps know further detail about the topic, that is.

I get criticised now for being too verbose - and I’m conscious of that too.

Appreciate your point though @press250.👍 I’ll try my best to keep things understandable and perhaps easier to follow.

This is just me venting as you are already aware that this new app rollout was terrible. Why, why, would you remove functionality?! I use my music library, I’ve created a playlist I use to help me sleep, that along with the sleep timer have been fantastic now it’s gone and I have to wait a month for it to possibly come back? I updated the app on my iPad and when I noticed this I purposely turned off updates on my phone, yet tonight my library is not accessible from my phone. Fantastic. Now I have no way to access my library. 

It would have been nice to 1. Know what was being removed 2. Have the ability to roll back until the new app has the complete functionality. I’m frustrated and disappointed in all of this. Please do better next time. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

How could release an app that is not even close to being ready??? I along with everyone else has poured a ton of money into these speakers that worked great years ago. Slowly but surely you are destroying these overpriced speakers with worthless app updates. Give us a reliable old app to use until you figure this out!!! If you think I will continue to purchase product from you in the future, you’re delusional. To say I’m pissed off is putting it mildly. It’s embarrassing to have all these speakers in my house and they are complete garbage as of now. Thanks Sonos 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Fire your app developers!!!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

So… I installed the update on my phone several days ago. Once done, my music library on my iMac would not show up. Yesterday or the day before, it appeared in the app but, since the iMac wasn’t on to test it, I assumed all was resolved so I closed my phone app. Tonight, I installed the latest update that came out earlier today thinking that it was THE patch. No such luck. Library missing again. I fired up the iMac thinking that would help. Nope. I tried updating the iMac desktop Sonos controller. That failed… again. Just a bit disappointing. No, a lot disappointing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Ken_Griffiths

I can't find the Library Settings option - nowhere to enter details!  The option disappeared with the latest app version 🙄

Userlevel 2

I am also joining to the endless negative comments about about quality of this “release”.

For the MVP (new Sonos app), I am not so sensitive how my start screen looks like and I don’t use alarms or sleep timers.
Luckily for me, I can access to local library on my Synology NAS (use new SMB version).

Queue management and playlist editing are more problematic, but I could wait until early June. 

Biggest issue for me is:

I have a lot of manually added radio stations as I am paying customer of RadioTunes network (RadioTunes, Zen, Rock, Jazz) and they don’t have dedicated Sonos app. All those radio stations (and many other manually added) are now gone (disabled in new app). I can not add/edit/delete new radio station.
I can not start radio stream from the new app.

Yes, I can still do it from my laptop, using the old version of the app, but that is not the way.

Furthermore, I am really annoyed with the forced update. I am Android user, I deleted new Sonos app, went to apkmirror and took the 16.1 version.
But after some time ( 2-12 hours), even though I disabled auto update in Google play (for all apps) and specifically for Sonos, new Sonos app is reinstalled - like Corona virus. You can’t just get rid of it.

Somebody wrote to fire developer. That is 100% wrong, as developers are not deciding about release date and features sets - they just do the development. 

Product manager, the one responsible for this mess should be accountable.

I have 10 pieces of Sonos hardware in my house (from Roam to Sub G3), I invested heavily into Sonos ecosystem because I liked the sound the easy of use.

The idea that my system works only partially makes me frustrated a lot.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Things I cannot do on the new app that I regularly do:

• skip forward 45 seconds in a podcast
  • Navigate to the artist/album from a song playing
  • like or add a song to a playlist from a song playing
  • use Amazon music (ok not that regular but it's a service I have) 

Things that are considerably more difficult to do, due to a design change:

• accurately set the volume based on the numbers I have remembered
  • navigate to a different speaker group (if my partner sets it up, when I open my phone it shows me the speaker group I last used, not the one currently playing)

Things that are broken or unreliable since the update:

• Play and pause. Often it ignores the button push and flips back to the previous state after a second.
  • Adjust the volume. Often it ignores the volume adjustment and flips back to the previous state after a second.
  • Adjust the group volume together using the master slider. The outcome of moving the master slider has totally unpredictable impacts on the individual speaker volumes, which each individually may accept or not accept the volume change, and they get out of sync. 
  • Bring up the multi room individual volume slider drawer. Sometimes when I tap on the master volume on the Home Screen it comes up with a slider drawer, other times it doesn't. Occasionally it registers a press to the content behind the volume slider, so chooses another piece of content. 
  • Adding multiple speakers to the TV speaker using the TV input. Unless I choose the TV input first and then add the speakers, choosing TV input with other speakers already joined results in them being kicked out of the group. 

Honestly it's the things in the last group that are the worst as they affect the basic functionality of the app, being play/pause, adjusting the volume and adjusting groups of speakers. 

Seeing this reduced to just sleep timer being removed is frustrating as it doesn't encapsulate how broken the new app is. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Fire the CEO who fired a huge bunch of their developers last year. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

Could we please have the numbers showing again when we move the volume controls on the app. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Apologies in advance if anyone has mentioned this issue:The “dot” on the volume slider is too small, sometimes it’s hard to adjust the volume… please fix it!
Userlevel 2

Fire the CEO who fired a huge bunch of their developers last year. 

It is Product Managers, they have last word to say, not developers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If the Sonos AMA (Ask me anything) event was supposed to placate any concerns we had about Sonos and its team for me it failed.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

No no no. Fire the management that forced the unfinished software to be released. I’m a software dev and I can tell you now there’s absolutely no way that the devs are not just as pissed off that this app is out in the wild as we are. This kind of crap is forced on devs far too often. 

Userlevel 1

See Whats living among all the people who payed your salary by buying your product. Keep 2 apps in the air. The old S2 and the one now with the update. Gave a choice to everyone to choose What they want to use. Now there is no chose and that whit a app that is not working as it should be. Listen to your customers !!!!!!