Skip to main content

It seems hard to believe, but that seems to be the unanimous “rumor” here. I am hoping it’s just because the implementation in the new app immature, and that maybe some time in the future this will work again.

But, could Sonos comment? Is the support for playing from a music library going away?

I’m using a Western Digital MyCloud device, running SMB v3, and not having any issues playing my music from it. This has been my setup for years. When S2 came out, I did need to go in to the software for the NAS and adjust the SMB version (in fact, if memory serves, WD sent out an update that turned off version 1, which caused me to learn about all this), but it has been working for years in this configuration. While I’ve temporarily lost the ability to search (and amend?) my playlists, they do continue to play. I’m patiently waiting for Sonos to update their software for full parity, in the meantime, the fact that it continues to play my playlists stored on my NAS is a good thing, much appreciated, and exactly what I purchased my Sonos system for. 

I’m assuming that you’re on a Windows machine, Bruce?  I’m happy that you’ve got more of a functional system than many of us Mac users.  I can tell you from many years of non-streaming experience, NOTHING has breached our household network via our Sonos set-up due to music being stored on USB drives. Sonos screwed the pooch on this one.

No, although I do own one, I just don’t use Sonos on it. 97% of my use is on this iPad I’m using, and the remaining tiny percent is on my Mac. But as suggested, I don’t store my music on the Mac. I do occasionally use AirPlay 2 to send a signal from iOS to a Sonos One, that I then group with my other Sonos speakers. 

Since you’re not using an NAS, but instead a USB drive, my guess is you’re being hit by the same issue that has been discussed in many other threads, since USB drives don’t normally use SMB as their access method. 

No, although I do own one, I just don’t use Sonos on it. 97% of my use is on this iPad I’m using, and the remaining tiny percent is on my Mac. But as suggested, I don’t store my music on the Mac. I do occasionally use AirPlay 2 to send a signal from iOS to a Sonos One, that I then group with my other Sonos speakers. 

Since you’re not using an NAS, but instead a USB drive, my guess is you’re being hit by the same issue that has been discussed in many other threads, since USB drives don’t normally use SMB as their access method. 

Thanks, Bruce. From what I’ve learned after the fact is that a USB drive falls under the NAS category. I’m holding out a slim hope that SONOS will release an app update - or alternative - that will allow NAS/USB users like myself a way back.

No, they’re different. An NAS has its own CPU/OS and uses a different method of connection to get through that OS (SMB). A USB drive uses the Mac OS instead, since it has no CPU and OS. There are ‘some’ routers that have the capability built in to treat USB drives as NAS drives, using their built in CPU and OS (and using SMB), but not all routers have this capability. 

If I understand the several threads, you’re likely to have permissions issues, not SMB issues. As I think I understand it, Sonos removed the two ‘insecure’ methods of connection, both SMB v1 (for older NAS devices) and http (for local hard drives, including USB drives). Your best bet, to restore your access to your USB drive, is to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

No, they’re different. An NAS has its own CPU/OS and uses a different method of connection to get through that OS (SMB). A USB drive uses the Mac OS instead, since it has no CPU and OS. There are ‘some’ routers that have the capability built in to treat USB drives as NAS drives, using their built in CPU and OS (and using SMB), but not all routers have this capability. 

If I understand the several threads, you’re likely to have permissions issues, not SMB issues. As I think I understand it, Sonos removed the two ‘insecure’ methods of connection, both SMB v1 (for older NAS devices) and http (for local hard drives, including USB drives). Your best bet, to restore your access to your USB drive, is to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

From what I’ve heard, that’s quite a long experience with Support with mixed results. One person waited 55 minutes just to talk to someone and it didn’t solve the problem. The facts regarding NAS vs USB are interesting as I didn’t know the “http” part pertaining to local hard drives including USBs.  I’m assuming that’s where my failure began.  I’m hoping Sonos restores that avenue of connectivity and allows end users to decide their cyber fate… so to speak.

Entirely up to you if you want to resolve your issue. I wouldn’t expect Sonos to go back on their choice to remove insecure methods of accessing local library files. And, there is, unfortunately, no guarantee that the issue being experienced by one poster in this forums is the same as yours. 

Entirely up to you if you want to resolve your issue. I wouldn’t expect Sonos to go back on their choice to remove insecure methods of accessing local library files. And, there is, unfortunately, no guarantee that the issue being experienced by one poster in this forums is the same as yours. 

Well, who knows where all the dust will settle from this. I will say that, for Sonos, they’ve made an extremely large marketing blunder with this… hiccup. To put the responsibility on the customer to resolve issues with their products is naive at best. Currently, I’m idling and taking an extended wait-and-see approach. Thanks for your thoughts, Bruce.  Brad

The support article on adding local library has been updated: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

Now includes instructions on creating network shares for Windows and Mac folders and then adding these to Sonos system using the networked device option.

Prior references to adding Windows/Mac folders using "my music folder" and "another folder or drive" options have been removed. It seems to be anyone waiting for those old broken methods to be fixed should really stop waiting and move into the network sharing method.

Thanks for info re update. That has allowed me to connect to my music library.

It works fine but album art visible on PC but not on android app

A ideas why?

Thanks for info re update. That has allowed me to connect to my music library.

It works fine but album art visible on PC but not on android app

A ideas why?

I think album art is just one of the missing features in the new mobile app that will hopefully be added back at some point. I’ve had no issues with connectivity to my NAS-based music folder since the new app was first launched in May, but album art has always been missing since then.

It seems hard to believe, but that seems to be the unanimous “rumor” here. I am hoping it’s just because the implementation in the new app immature, and that maybe some time in the future this will work again.

But, could Sonos comment? Is the support for playing from a music library going away?

They won't come out and say that. Maybe most of the company even believes it's untrue. Rather than make an official announcement, It's more in their interest to be able to claim they support your file library, then make it increasingly unusable over time so that more people abandon the whole notion of actually owning a collection of music files. I would not be at all surprised if this turns out to be actual corporate strategy to drive more business to the streaming services they partner with.

I think that they are planning to charge a monthly fee just to use your own speakers. Now that they are a publicly traded company there is enormous pressure on them to increase revenue. I just hope there is a genius software programmer out there who develops a bypass/workaround to the Sonos app so that we can be free of their management forever.

They won't come out and say that. Maybe most of the company even believes it's untrue. Rather than make an official announcement, It's more in their interest to be able to claim they support your file library, then make it increasingly unusable over time so that more people abandon the whole notion of actually owning a collection of music files. I would not be at all surprised if this turns out to be actual corporate strategy to drive more business to the streaming services they partner with.

There is absolutely no evidence or mechanism to substantiate the claim that there is a corporate strategy to drive business to 'partner' streaming services.  Many of the music services are free to use so where's the incentive to cripple music library access?

Owning and storing large collections of music files is a diminishing practice generally. Nothing to do with a Sonos driven conspiracy to kill off personal file creation and storage. 

You’re right. My comment was speculation, and probably a little paranoid. But I do think the declining quality over time that drove me to that mindset is worth calling out.

Thanks! And of course LOL : “coming in june - ability to use your Sonos again”

now they are saying july!

Another user totally disappointed with Sonos.

My library contains music not available on streaming services. I can access it by re-adding the library every day, which takes over an hour as it re-indexes. Such a waste of time, and it disappears each time Sonos restarts.

I will not touch another Sonos product until this is fixed and would not recommend Sonos to anyone right now.

Every day I check to see if the June now July update to allow the system to be usable again is available.  Does anyone know if the search function for music libraries will be available in July or will it be further postponed until August.  I can't believe a company would freak out a large proportion of their user base by releasing such a shoddy, rushed piece of software.  Shocking.

A big reason why i choosed sonos from the start was that I can mix from several different sources, Including my own music librarys. Now I have to use roon instead. Their application is great but costs some.

They broke the simple way of connecting to a local library.  There is a workaround, see the link below.  Formerly Sonos had a “ease of use” philosophy and good UI engineering.  While I got my system to work, I strongly prefer the old UI in the app and of course, there is zero excuse for this complex way of accessing a local library along with zero instructions.

Here is the link on how to enable a local library:

Mmmmm Has anyone considered a class action lawsuit? 

Mmmmm Has anyone considered a class action lawsuit? 

Prepare to be 🔥

Well, it is predicament which I find myself in, too. Well, it started from the first day of set-up several years ago when suddenly it’s stated there’s a 65k track limit. Theoretically, that is, if you have metadata and filenames formatted to Sonos’ liking...maybe you could get to the mythical 65k. I spent hundreds of hours trying to fix tens of thousands of tracks to maximize that limit (which my local library exceeds, like many other Sonos’ users). And then I had to split and restructure subfolders so I could select which lucky ones would be added to Sonos.

But I remind myself: you get what you pay for. Oh, wait, Sonos is damn expensive! And now and even after the 22 July version, I have all sorts of new headaches. I can’t help but express some pointed frustration here. I would presume there’s something amiss over at Sonos’ headquarters: ie, it’s not the apparently overwhelmed & under-staffed technicians or other support staff that bear responsibility but I would think upper management and the CEO (that’s just a guess b/c this is a debacle). And there are no rebates coming (maybe a settlement check a few years hence from some class action lawsuit, if anything). Communication, transparency have been abysmal. Customer service has fallen from celebrated status (again, not their fault). But it’s been diminishing returns with playing local library; and, I’m frustrated with all the effort & time I’d already put in just to have a portion of my local library stored on my computer added to the Sonos system. And boom - it just disappeared early summer with promises of something better coming mid-June, mid-July, & still not fixed but local library support is not what Sonos caters to. And it’s an abuse of customer loyalty.

Thanks! And of course LOL : “coming in june - ability to use your Sonos again”

Not true. Spent over an hour with Jeremiah at tech service.  ITunes libraries will not load and there is no work around.  It's all on SONOS and THEIR update because it was simple and seamless before. 

The note wrote to the CEO-The Sonos 16.3 controller for MacOS update, like the previous updates, didn’t fix the worst problem, which is the continuing Error 1002 when trying to connect the music library. I haven’t been able to play my own music on Sonos since the winter 2024 update. I have lost track of how much time has been wasted trying to make this work.

The release notes are for the iOS and Android apps. That’s not where the problem is. It’s the controller.
Apologies don’t cut it. Fix the problem or make the version that still worked available again. Hundreds of angry users are complaining about it on the forums, so it’’s not just me.

I got excited for a second thinking they'd allow you to play your own music on Sonos for a day and a half - but from my limited understanding you need to have your PC on. I used to be able to play music I've got stored on my phone, I figure this is still not possible?

I tried to update my system to the latest relief, believing what the President said in his letter.  Bottom line, is that whatever it was he said they delivered on 7/22, I can’t get it to work.  Has anybody had any success?

I’m on a Mac.  Since this debacle, I’ve purchased a Brennan D3 to act as a music storage device.  After burning 450 or so CDs to it, I CAN now reach those CDs, but the Brennan lacks in sorting and playlist creation capabilities, and I STILL can’t play any purchased music from my system via SONOS.  I THOUGHT this latest release was supposed to fix that, hence my question: anybody else have any luck getting back to the music on their own computers?  

Not at all sure how I’m gonna come up with the money to replace my Sonos equipment, but right now, my SONOS system’s utility falls somewhere between playing 45s on a turntable, and a boat anchor.

If you download the Hifi Cast app you can play your music on Sonos that way. It's ridiculous we have to do this, but the app works beautifully