Interview

Sonos App Redesign AMA

Sonos App Redesign AMA

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

770 replies

If I use the Sonos app exclusively at home to mark favorites and create playlists, how do I leverage it when I’m away from home connected to a Sonos Bluetooth speaker? 

Userlevel 2

I would like custom streaming URLs to work properly again, as it does via the “old” TuneIn service, which is completely missing from the new mobile app, please see:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/tunein-no-longer-supported-custom-urls-no-more-6878679?postid=16724689#post16724689

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

How is play.sonos.com connecting directly with my SONOS on my LAN?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I use the Sonos app in a continuous state on my iPad for my home speaker system. I have the currently playing item displayed in fullscreen so that I or my guests can see what’s playing. With this recent update, the full screen view is gone and has been replaced by a pop-up modal which doesn’t have the option to go full screen. The old version also allows you to turn the iPad to landscape mode and would show all of the upcoming tracks. This is now completely missing. This was noticed by me and others immediately. Can you please restore the full screen features to the iPad version of the application?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Did feedback from beta indicate it was ready to launch?

Userlevel 4

The new app has removed the functionality to control the SONOS Port Line-out settings. Fixed, variable and pass-through can no longer be selected and Ports are stuck on the setting previously selected in old S2 app.  There are NO work arounds when will this be fixed as the Port is severely degraded without control of Line-out. 

Userlevel 2

accessibility was broken

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I just want to say there has been allot of negativity surrounding the new app launch. I just want to say the app is fantastic. I've been using it everyday since it came out last week. I know there is some future additions coming in the next weeks and will just be patient with the future roll out. Thank you Diane, Kate, Tucker, and the rest of the Sonos development team for everything you do. 

Userlevel 4

Did anyone on your teams speak up internally and voice the opinion that this app wasn’t ready for primetime?

Userlevel 4
Badge

How about restoring the prior app until the new app supports ALL missing features?

Userlevel 2

6 minutes in and not one question answered. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hello and welcome everyone,

Before getting started I’d like to thank you all for RSVPing and attending. This is the first of many events going forward where members of our Community can talk directly to members of the Sonos team and learn about the development and design behind our products. Keep in mind that @Mike H and myself will be heavily monitoring this topic to ensure we keep this train on its tracks. Please keep the conversation respectful and constructive.

It’s not lost on me (or the team) that this most recent Sonos app update has caused a torrent of feedback topics here on the Community and across the web. We want to make sure you get the most out of the next three hours, so we’ve decided to focus our efforts on the questions with the most likes. Please use likes to “upvote” the question you want answered. By combining similar topics and questions, we will be able to cover more and hopefully cover the wide breadth of conversation you are looking for.

Note: Be sure to check out our most recent update to the Future Feature Update post where we will continue to update you on the road going forward.

Thank you and see you around the Community!
Keith

Hey Keith, that page is not found currently as of the time on this post.

UPDATE: It’s live now.

Userlevel 2

How do we access this AMA webinar?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am atotally blind Sonos user. I currently have a Sonos Play 5 and Sonos Move, and have been considering using Sonos to construct a home theatre. Until the release of the latest app update, I felt confident that Sonos, like Apple, had accessibility as one of its core commitments. Needless to say, my confidence was shattered by the latest app re-design, which rendered the app almost totally inaccessible. In this regard, I would like to pose the following 3 questions:

1) Does Sonos still have accessibility as one of its core commitments so that its products can be fully used by everyone?

2)If so, when will Sonos update the app to make it fully accessible for blind people using a screen reader so that they can have the same user experience as all other users?

3) How will Sonos ensure that no future app update renders the app inaccessible?

Userlevel 3
Badge

How do I get to live event?

Userlevel 4
Badge

Why can’t we roll back to previous versions?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

The new app is very sluggish. I mean this in the sense that it can take a couple seconds (sometimes longer) for graphics to load when launching the app and changing pages within the app. This didn't happen with the old app. What has caused this change in performance, and is this something that will improve? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Why won't you backout the recent "update" so that we can revert to the app that has the features we need?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Please address the failure to include features for using the Music Library. It is largely unusable as it is. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Missing the join this event link… sigh

Userlevel 3
Badge

So many questions about the Sonos Dev team and process…

Does the Product Owner actually use Sonos?  Or do they just use Spotify and stream AirPlay audio to their Sonos products?

Did they promise an Exec that the team would deliver an MVP (Minimum Viable Product) by mid May, and were then obliged to just get something deployed at the expense of quality?  Did they get a bonus for delivering on time?

Did they not think that their MVP was non-viable without queue management?  Or did they just not care because, hey Spotify can do that, and AirPlay works just fine.

Has the Product Owner ever heard that people keep a music library on a NAS, and need to be able to search it?

(Pause to select some more music because the album I was listening to only had 9 tracks and I couldn’t add anything to the queue).

I have read that queue management may be delivered in July - how can that be so far down the prioritised backlog?

Was there any internal testing, let alone external testing? We are all just beta testers, on a product that should definitely not have been let loose on paying customers.

Does the PO still have a job?

Oh, and can I please have battery percentage back for my Roam and Move 2? Icons with 25% increments are not granular enough.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Will we be able to use products from Sonos in the future even if the Sonos servers are down?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Is this a live streamed event or just a forum style event? I’m very confused right now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My favorite thing about the update is I can now ask my Sonos to play a song, album, genre, or artist using my voice. Thank you very much! 

This makes me happy!😃 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

How do you respond to customers who say they feel strongly that the new app is a step backwards and that it removes core functionality? Do you empathize with this position?