Interview

Sonos App Redesign AMA

Sonos App Redesign AMA

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

770 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Just interested, @bstephens16 , what is the use case for using your Sonos system when not at home? (by the way .. this is a serious question, as I can’t think of a use case off the top of my head… but maybe there is one that could be useful).

@ian02054 - you have alarms set, you cannot access them locally. You’ve gone away from home.

You want to switch them off remotely.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Regarding http://play.sonos.com/, I would rather not have to login every day if possible.

I would love if the sonos app redirected to this experience when not on my network. Home Assistant does something similar, using local network access when on home wifi, then switching to URL when off home wifi.

Just interested, @bstephens16 , what is the use case for using your Sonos system when not at home? (by the way .. this is a serious question, as I can’t think of a use case off the top of my head… but maybe there is one that could be useful).

This would allow for remote control for professional settings as Sonos tries to carve out larger swaths in already established markets (e.g. restaurants, bars, etc.).  It is, however, total gimmick to the traditional and core user of the product.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Three hours in and we're at the end of the advertised window for the AMA.

Final numbers then, though of course people will probably continue posting in the thread (numbers in brackets are the count at 2 hours and 1 hour)

@DianeRoberts  - 9 (4, 0)

@KateW  - 6 (5, 3)

@tuckerseverson  - 3 (3, 2)

Total Sonos Responses - 18

Total Comments - 742

Looks like tucker got a little tuckered out at the 2 hour mark.

And some stats of my own counting:

Respect shown to customers - 0

Horrific discoveries - 2

• Data corruption issue in alarms didn’t stop a release.
  • All speakers now available on the public internet protected only by a users password.

Feedback/suggestions actually taken by Sonos - 0

Awkward questions Sonos didn't want to address ignored - All of them

Commitments to do anything other than they'd already announced - None

Time wasted - 3 hours of my life anyway and I'm sure plenty of other customers

Also a piece of advice for anyone who side-loaded the 16.1 APK on Android, remember to turn off auto-updates in both the play store AND for the speaker firmware in the app.  The first will stop the new app overwriting 16.1 and the second will stop your speakers downloading new firmware, you never know when Sonos will break compatibility with the 16.1 version.

Well, I was really interested in the romoured Sonos headphones, but I won't be buying them and I'll probably be looking elsewhere for hardware in the future.

@Undergrid Where do you turn off firmware updates in the app? is that just the system updates ? (Tucker never answered my question on that :-) )

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

30 pages of comment an I failed to see a single person who liked the new app. Why do you not realise, it’s not the new design it’s the fact that you have hobbled people systems by removing basic core functions rendering the speakers useless.  The arrogance of the management team is magnificent!

Userlevel 2
Badge

setting aside all the “why did you do this release like this”, can you tell us how you will ensure it wont happen in the future, and what the plan is to address customer input in a more coherent way

@hohotheclown and others,

Our goal is to build the best products for you—to add sound to your lives. Along the way we may make mistakes. What we learned this past week is that we should have communicated more openly with you about changes that may impact you.

Going forward we plan to be more communicative to you all about changes that are coming.

We are also committed to acting on your feedback—and delivering you improvements—rapidly. Over the coming weeks and months we seek to fix the issues that you have surfaced and earn back your trust.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Regarding http://play.sonos.com/, I would rather not have to login every day if possible.

I would love if the sonos app redirected to this experience when not on my network. Home Assistant does something similar, using local network access when on home wifi, then switching to URL when off home wifi.

This would allow for remote control for professional settings as Sonos tries to carve out larger swaths in already established markets (e.g. restaurants, bars, etc.).  It is, however, total gimmick to the traditional and core user of the product.  

Thx @Tvinecke (I feel like we get better answers from the group than the execs :-) )

Ooccasionally I leave the house and forget to stop the music, or I have visitors at home that wanted radio on when I left but cannot stop it themselves

Recently alexa has been able to start but not stop music in my daughters room.  So far I've been home every time,  but come school vacation time I know I'll end up coming home 8 hours later to still hear taylor swift blasting out.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Do we get an extension because the answers started half an hour late?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I wonder how many tech journalists were following this AMA for a story.

The media could be the only winner here as I think there’s a really negative story here.

Are Sonos now doomed to follow the BlackBerry path and become a footnote in the journal of innovation? 

Userlevel 3

Leaving home while the music is still playing. Then the kids or babysitter call and ask you to turn it off

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

We are also committed to acting on your feedback—and delivering you improvements—rapidly. Over the coming weeks and months we seek to fix the issues that you have surfaced and earn back your trust.

A couple of weeks is too late, simplly push the 16.1 version of the S2 app as a new app to the Android and iOS stores until the new version has equivalent functionality.

Simple, quick and will diffuse most of the tension this debacle has caused.

Userlevel 2

You cheeky monkey, Simon :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Ooccasionally I leave the house and forget to stop the music, or I have visitors at home that wanted radio on when I left but cannot stop it themselves

Recently alexa has been able to start but not stop music in my daughters room.  So far I've been home every time,  but come school vacation time I know I'll end up coming home 8 hours later to still hear taylor swift blasting out.

wow.. @R0binib0r you were having it bad BEFORE the update :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

setting aside all the “why did you do this release like this”, can you tell us how you will ensure it wont happen in the future, and what the plan is to address customer input in a more coherent way

Our goal is to build the best products for you—to add sound to your lives. Along the way we may make mistakes. What we learned this past week is that we should have communicated more openly with you about changes that may impact you.

Going forward we plan to be more communicative to you all about changes that are coming.

Right now the best improvement you can deliver @tuckerseverson is the old App in parallel with the new. That’s the answer to the problem.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

You cheeky monkey, Simon :)

Which I guess answers the question about whether any journalists were listening.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Who is the executive leader accountable for communications regarding the release?

Who is the executive leader accountable for deciding to go live with the limited feature set?

Userlevel 4
Badge

This comment is the first nod towards contrition from any of you. You could have just ripped off that bandaid three hours ago and not angered your customers to the degree you have.

The feedback you’ve received is specific and loud: give users the option to roll back to the functional S2 app. Do that today, and there’s a chance of undoing some of the damage you’ve done since showing up 45 minutes late to this AMA.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Thank you, everyone, for participating. We covered as many of the most asked questions as possible. We know tracking the responses wasn't as easy as we had hoped. But we wanted to let the community air frustrations and have their questions answered.

I got a lot of DMs during the AMA, and I will be sure to answer them when I can. Thanks for reaching out!

Keith and I will work on recapping all the questions and feedback we have responded to, and we will update the post here when that is complete. If we didn't get to your question, don't worry. Keith and I are grabbing all the feedback from this thread, even the things we didn't respond to, and ensuring the right people will see the message. This was the first time we created a live AMA in the community, and we learned a lot for future AMAs.

We appreciate all the feedback and questions you gave through this AMA. It helps us understand your most significant feedback and your reasoning. We hear you, and we will ensure the right teams get your feedback. They are listening.

We look forward to rolling out the updates with features (new and old) as soon as they are ready. Keith shared an overview of the timeline for expecting these features to return to the app. Today was the first update, reintroducing alarms and improving the iOS voiceover.

We look forward to seeing your reactions to our future app developments. We hope you all appreciate the work our developers are putting into making the app as fast and easy to use as possible for the general user.

Userlevel 1

Many features I found useful are now missing (after the upgrade). For now, I’m continuing to use the legacy Controller desktop App but suspect it will soon become obselete. I will share more later, but perhaps the biggest is LACK OF ADDING TO A QUEUE… I am astonished that was deprecated, to the point that if this doesn’t get fixed with a few months I will look for a different platform.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

This is ridiculous I can’t use my sonos system!! I usually add songs from my NAS system sometimes one song, sometimes whole albums, or all songs by artist. I can’t add anything to the Q only replace the Q. I regularly edit the Q.

SONOS THIS IS S@!T sort it ASAP!!!!!!

or at least give me a way to use the old ‘skin’ on the new app!! You have gone from being ahead of the game back in 2016 to driving customers away.