Interview

Sonos App Redesign AMA

Sonos App Redesign AMA

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

770 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Can’t figure out how to launch it..

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

When alarms was able to be added back as soon as today, why was the app released when it was in such an incomplete state nearly a week ago? 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Terrible disservice to many loyal customers who previously were able to serve local files from networked drives!  Streaming is nice, but it is not the entire universe!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Please describe what the thought processes was, going into the re-design. I understand the value of launching something new, but as a designer, I also understand that function always outweighs design.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

will the focus be on systems that  are now unusable, or will you first add lost functionality

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

If one was part of the Beta program - of course we can’t say if we might be because of the NDA.

Would we have seen an invite to test before release?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is the Board of Directors joining?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Does the new app interfaces with the speakers on the LAN or over the Web?

Badge

My favorite thing about the update is I can now ask my Sonos to play a song, album, genre, or artist using my voice. Thank you very much! 

Userlevel 4
Badge

setting aside all the “why did you do this release like this”, can you tell us how you will ensure it wont happen in the future, and what the plan is to address customer input in a more coherent way

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

How do the software decisions give hope to the future of Sonos? There has to be fear from Sonos that the poor user experiences will lead to business issues financially. I personally can’t in good faith recommend Sonos or be bothered to buy more products.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Are you going to answer any questions?

Userlevel 4

If Sonos claims to take accessibility seriously and aim to build listening experiences that everyone can enjoy, why did you think it was a good idea to leave blind users without a working app for at least two weeks? Especially when you were fully aware the app was broken with screen readers?
As your team was aware that you would be locking out blind customers at launch, why didn't you hold off on releasing the app until accessibility was implemented?
Will you be offering full refunds to blind users who are currently unable to use the products they paid for?
How does Sonos plan to regain the trust of it's blind customers, who are still without a working and fully accessible app? Do you realize how much you have lost the trust  of the blind community?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Please address the rationale behind the removal of sleep timers and alarms. You must have telemetry showing that these were very heavily used features of the app. And yet now they are gone.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

why can’t I play custom radio streams anymore? that’s what I’ve been using my Sonos system 95% of the time for the last 13 years

Userlevel 5
Badge

Why wasn't it clearly communicated before the release that almost all features will be missing? Because of this lack of communication, it feels like you forgot about all these features! 

Userlevel 4
Badge

What were the determined MVP features and why were truly integral functions to all music playback omitted in the 80.xx updates?

Userlevel 2

What is being done to improve cloud capacity for the web app and the device communication? I’ve been seeing a lot of ISE errors on the web lately and this appears to be due to overcapacity of the the web UX. The response time on the web UX to the devices also appears slow. 

Additionally, will the iPad UX be made available for install on the Mac App Store? Seems to make sense.

-- Jason Perlow, Sr. Contributing Writer, ZDNET

https://www.zdnet.com/article/sonos-new-s2-app-simplifies-audio-control-but-theres-a-catch-or-two/

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Given a number of important features haven't yet been added to the new app (e.g. snooze, timers, queue management), why couldn't you release the new app as a public beta/preview and keep the old app available until those features get added?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Why wasn’t the recent app offered as a “S3”, giving people the option to have a new interface & new features, but also allowing those that needed existing features to keep them?

A list that gave the pros & cons of staying on S2 or moving to S3 would have given the community choice, and allowed the developers to ask the S2 holdouts “What features do you need us to have in S3 to get you to move to it?”

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Where is the link to the AMA session?

This is it I think. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Is there a video link somewhere?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Can you please describe the reasoning for releasing the new app, which doesn’t have all the features as the previous app, despite advertisements indicating the new app would still have all the features?

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

So, so many of us are in mourning for our lost capabilities in the new app (play-next, library search and more) and are upset they were stripped from us without warning (you even told us nothing would be worse in the earlier publicity). So

• what was the reason you didn't make this an optional new app while it was still evolving like you did for the S1 -> S2 update? Then us existing customers could stay happily waiting while your target customers could delight in your new design.
  • will you take the old v16.1 and put it back in the app stores (maybe as “Sonos Legacy” or something) until you have restored all the capabilities you have removed from us?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Can we have a rollback right now?