Interview

Sonos App Redesign AMA

Sonos App Redesign AMA

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

770 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hello?

Is there anybody in there?

Just nod if you can hear me

Is there anyone home?

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

What is your favorite band, and how do their members who use Sonos feel about having so many capabilities stripped from them without warning?

Userlevel 2

I don't understand how this works, I see there's a lot of questions but no replies

Userlevel 2

Maybe time to start looking at that Belkin SoundForm Connect I had in my wishlist.

Userlevel 3

Also, looking at this description a bit further, I notice that only questions with the most votes will be answered, which will likely leave out blind and other disabled customers. This is a shame and no way to determine whether or not questions will be answered, issues will be fixed, etc. Instead, the right way to do things is to first and always consider impact.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Ok then, that's half an hour of my life I’ll never get back, still some of the posts were very amusing 😁

Sonos Business Plan

1. Upset large proportion of customer base by removing support for perfectly good hardware.
  2. Backtrack on above plan and offer discounts to soften the blow.
  3. Later just when things have settled down, force really bad software update on same. customers for no apparent reason.
  4. Invite customers to Q&A with promises of answers but go for Latte instead.

Top work, you should all be really proud.

Userlevel 3

The guy who was supposed to start the Ama probably also programmed the app

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

What the heck is going on? All I can see are a load of questions and nothing back from Sonos.

I’m clearly not the only one so how about someone from Sonos explaining what is happening - please.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

They’re really just blowing off this scheduled AMA? I’m in freaking Lithuania on a work trip, and I still made the effort to show up for this, because I have thousands of dollars invested in now nerly worthless Sonois hardware.

I’m kind of shocked they’re really this disrespectful of their customers, though I guess I shouldn’t be after the most recent app update.

On the bright side, maybe none of them are here becausde they all got fired.

Userlevel 2

As a visually impaired Sonos customer whose earlier version of the app has the potential to be

impacted by trickle-down accessibility regression springing from the new app redesign, I must ask : what is the meaning behind not including us (the disability community) in the design process from the start? What is the thought behind accessibility being a feature that may come out as the app completes later on, rather than integral to using the product we paid for? Bolt-on accessibility is bolt-on accessibility no matter how you spin it, and as a result is not going to be as good as it could have been were it in the design process from the beginning. After all, you wouldn’t bake an apple pie and put the apples in after the fact, would you? What’s more, until said accessibility improvements actually come to fruition (Will we be directly involved in the design process for those as well as compensated for damages to functionality caused by current issues?) you have essentially caused #recycleMode 2.0 for visually impaired users.

Userlevel 1

If there is an “event”, I sure can’t seem to find a way to join it.  If it is just a series of posted questions and comments, I haven’t even figured out how to see the responses to those.  Guess I’m just going to bail out.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Everyone should send an email to the CEO right now so he can watch this horrific failure: ceo@sonos.com

done.

Done

done, I included the link to this mess.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Waste of time?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How do I join the webinar?

Userlevel 3

In addition to taking away access for blind people to their Sonos investments, it also looks like the reaction buttons and a bunch of other things are inaccessible in the forum platform Sonos chose, so I’m not even sure at this point if we blind people will even get a vote. I’d love to be corrected if there’s a way I just haven’t found yet.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Just noticed that Sonos CEO Patrick Spence had been a senior executive at RIM/Blackberry for 14 years during its rise and downfall. He’s been at Sonos for 12, hope that’s not a bad sign...

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

When alarms was able to be added back as soon as today, why was the app released when it was in such an incomplete state nearly a week ago? 

Today. Sonos APP has a new Update . I just upgraded the app,  but I dind´t seet the alarm I´m looking for it

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

What a FARCE.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I guess answers to the questions will be released in June when Legal has approved them and made sure they don’t accidently contain any phrase that might sound like an apology?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Please drop some emails to your favorite tech sites. This deserves reporting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Re: Messages to update on iOS devices - Afraid to update right now!

I have so far only updated one device. Since I couldn’t do what I needed on that device, I’ve prevented my other devices from updating. So far, I can still use the older app on other devices, which I’m happy about. But now one of the other devices tells me I need a systems update. Is this a firmware update to the speakers, or an app update? If I continue to update the one device with the new app, will this ruin my ability to use the older app on the other devices? 

Do NOT update your speaker firmware.  It will break functions in the older version of the app.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Will we see numbers re-added to the volume adjusters or is Sonos sticking with this UI decision?

@danull  Yes - volume numbers will be returning to this UI. We are continuing to refine our volume UI based on user feedback and will soon be providing an update to these controls.  Volume numbers should be visible now in the grouping menu.

Just in case feedback will perhaps be read...beyond the many, many disappointing rollbacks people have commented on extensively, since the app updated my personally curated playlists have only appeared on the app maybe 10% of the time. That is true for both playlists culled on my local music (stored on a now largely inaccessible NAS) as well as from streaming sources. Only “pre-curated’ playlists created by streaming services are consistently appearing. 

Badge

Off-topic, kinda.. They need to redesign their web app as well, look at those sliders..what does this even mean.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

They’re really just blowing off this scheduled AMA? I’m in freaking Lithuania on a work trip, and I still made the effort to show up for this, because I have thousands of dollars invested in now nerly worthless Sonois hardware.

I’m kind of shocked they’re really this disrespectful of their customers, though I guess I shouldn’t be after the most recent app update.

On the bright side, maybe none of them are here becausde they all got fired.

This is what I expect from cheap no-name hardware, but Sonos and their prices? Absolutely egregious on all levels.